Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2016, 00:35   #556
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenair View Post
Is it normal to have only one tyre carrying the manufacturing date?

Or is there any other way of decoding the age of the tire.
I agree with you. When I had gone to do PDI for a BHPian friend, MFD on the tyres were found only in two tyres rest two didn't have the code. As usual Mahindra guys were clueless add to what that meant anyway. I made them understand that it is a way to decide the tyre manufacturing date.

I think (I may be wrong too) that the tyre MFD code could be on the inner side of the tyre. Need to check.
Old 28th April 2016, 12:40   #557
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenair View Post
when I reached, the car was being accessorised and didnt have any of the seats! (The carpet lamination was on).
Curious here. How come they started accessorizing your car prior to the PDI? What if you found issues during your PDI that would have made you vary of accepting it?

My XUV was accessorized after registration, which happened after the PDI. Not that the PDI mattered much. The dealer had identified a minor "wrinkle" near the tail gate, and gave me some cock and bull story that they will replace the entire back panel, as this was a "manufacturing defect". I was on a short timeline, and did not have the luxury to do a second PDI before transferring the balance amount. Obviously nothing was done, maybe an attempt was made to tinker it. It's still there, very minor, viewed at certain angles only. Others can't make out, but i can, as I know where to look
Old 28th April 2016, 14:19   #558

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
Curious here. How come they started accessorizing your car prior to the PDI? What if you found issues during your PDI that would have made you vary of accepting it?
You are right. It was a compromise. The dealer didn't stick to the original time and I was unable to make it for the revised time. Instead of waiting, I asked them start the accessories fitment so that I could take a look at everything before registration. Definitely not advisable.
Old 28th April 2016, 14:40   #559
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The dealer had identified a minor "wrinkle" near the tail gate, and gave me some cock and bull story that they will replace the entire back panel
I'm amazed! We seem to be expected to accept brand-new cars with minor defects (Sir: we will polish it) whereas most of the world expects and demands that this most-expensive of purchases should be visually perfect!

It's the buyers right to let something go as not being important to them, but I'm impressed that your dealer volunteered the replacement.
Old 28th April 2016, 16:20   #560

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I
I think (I may be wrong too) that the tyre MFD code could be on the inner side of the tyre. Need to check.
My dealer also updated me today saying that it would be on the inner wall.
Not a technical person, but isn't there a'right' fitting for the tyre so that the MFD code should always be on the outside. Or doesnt this really matter?
In any case I asked them to re-fit the tyres such that the data is outer wall.
Old 28th April 2016, 17:31   #561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'm amazed! We seem to be expected to accept brand-new cars with minor defects (Sir: we will polish it) whereas most of the world expects and demands that this most-expensive of purchases should be visually perfect!

It's the buyers right to let something go as not being important to them, but I'm impressed that your dealer volunteered the replacement.
Ofcourse he did. I had only paid him the booking amount, and it was an AWD which did not have many takers. So he had to say something during the PDI. I was shocked when he offered to replace the panel. He finally did not do anything, inspite of confirming on the phone that the workshop guys have replaced the panel.

I was extremely irritated during delivery, but my dad felt that as the 'wrinkle' was too minor, I should focus on the positives, and not let that be a cause for disappointment.

Last edited by ajayclicks : 28th April 2016 at 17:32.
ajayclicks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 22:07   #562
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
He finally did not do anything, inspite of confirming on the phone that the workshop guys have replaced the panel.
Oh, not so good then.

Sorry: I completely misunderstood.
Old 29th April 2016, 09:23   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Oh, not so good then.

Sorry: I completely misunderstood.
no worries. I am still undecided on whether to make a big fuss or not. The SA had come visiting a few days back to hand over the purple club stuff, and I explored options like tinkering, he said something that sounded like "diptich". Not sure what that is? I guess it all boils down to whether it is a battle worth fighting.
ajayclicks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 10:10   #564
BHPian

Quote:
no worries. I am still undecided on whether to make a big fuss or not. The SA had come visiting a few days back to hand over the purple club stuff, and I explored options like tinkering, he said something that sounded like "diptich". Not sure what that is? I guess it all boils down to whether it is a battle worth fighting.

It all depends on how comfortable you are with the minor niggle. If it doesn't trouble there's no point making a fuss. Just enjoy the new car and be happy with how nice the cheetah is. Just my two cents.
Old 29th April 2016, 17:16   #565
BHPian

1st service completed for my 1.6 in Popular Kochi, was a very simple 2 hrs wait. The service guy said that they have hardly serviced 1.6, was a bit nervous about that. Hope the 1.6 sales take off, otherwise 1.6 owners would be a rare lot in Kochi with little technical knowledge among service guys.

From my experience and as written somewhere in the forum, before the turbo kicks in the car does not move and can easily stall at inclines.
Otherwise it's a gem of a machine.
Old 3rd May 2016, 14:08   #566
BHPian

Flooded cars sold as brand new unaffected cars!!

Dear Bhpians,

Below is an experience of my friend's neighbor. I cannot validate the story but then I have enough reasons to believe that it's true

My friend's neighbor booked Fiat Avventura in Chennai. He took finance route to purchase this car and all the process was seemingly smooth and as expected. He got a call from dealer and to his surprise, car was ready before the promised date. He went to perform PDI and, to be honest, for many of the customers, PDI is more of an excitement to visit and see their newly arrived car than to inspect its well-being and condition. Post PDI, he instructed his bank to release the payment and pending process like proof submission, registration of vehicle etc was completed. After he took his vehicle to his home, he noticed lot of mud and dirt underneath his seats and in engine. On enquiry, dealer raised their hands up saying we can do nothing post registration.

Now, I am not sure what happened after that but I am writing this with a concern to know how can we be sure that the vehicle we are taking is not flood affected. What would be the most effective PDI to ensure vehicles are not flood affected ones? I believe we will have to be careful with delivery of vehicles until end of 2016.

I have booked Renault Kwid in Tamil Nadu and I have been promised a delivery date of 2 weeks, which is very quick considering the demand. I am sure there are many more Bhpians and guest readers who will want to know this.
Old 1st June 2016, 15:46   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhasir View Post
Dear Bhpians,

Below is an experience of my friend's neighbor. I cannot validate the story but then I have enough reasons to believe that it's true

My friend's neighbor booked Fiat Avventura in Chennai. He took finance route to purchase this car and all the process was seemingly smooth and as expected. He got a call from dealer and to his surprise, car was ready before the promised date. He went to perform PDI and, to be honest, for many of the customers, PDI is more of an excitement to visit and see their newly arrived car than to inspect its well-being and condition. Post PDI, he instructed his bank to release the payment and pending process like proof submission, registration of vehicle etc was completed. After he took his vehicle to his home, he noticed lot of mud and dirt underneath his seats and in engine. On enquiry, dealer raised their hands up saying we can do nothing post registration.

Now, I am not sure what happened after that but I am writing this with a concern to know how can we be sure that the vehicle we are taking is not flood affected. What would be the most effective PDI to ensure vehicles are not flood affected ones? I believe we will have to be careful with delivery of vehicles until end of 2016.

I have booked Renault Kwid in Tamil Nadu and I have been promised a delivery date of 2 weeks, which is very quick considering the demand. I am sure there are many more Bhpians and guest readers who will want to know this.
You can check the VIN and see the manufacture date of the car. If it is a car recently manufactured then your friend's apprehensions will be laid to rest.
Old 21st June 2016, 20:56   #568
BHPian

We booked a Ciaz from Sagar automobiles in Bangalore(Bannerghatta Road) and the SA said that I cannot visit their stockyard for the PDI however I made it clear to him that without PDI, I will not allow registration and to this, he replied saying that they will bring the car to their showroom after which I can inspect and ascertain registration. What do I do? Is this viable?
Old 24th August 2016, 19:43   #569
BHPian

We are waiting to take delivery of our Ford Ecosport TDCi Titanium (Golden Bronze). I went to the showrrom to make an inspection before the delivery, armed with the PDI checklist. Here's what I found:

The VIN is MAJAZ*****GD3***4, which points to July 2016 manufacture.
The Form 22 shows the date as 27.07.2016, which matches the VIN.
There are no scratches or any irregularities
The car was a bit dusty with rain marks.
The car is in transit mode, and though the doors were unlocked, the boot had to be manually unlocked.
The driver side floor mat was inside the boot.
The spare wheel had a full cover fitted, the one which you usually buy as an accessory.

Overall, the vehicle looks fine and brand new.

The thing that worries me is the spare wheel cover which is even painted in the body color, in perfect match. How is this already fitted on a car less than a month old? I asked about the cover, and the SA replied that the cover came as part of some pack, and would be removed by them before delivery. If I wanted it, I could pay "just" Rs. 10,700/-, a "real bargain" compared to the 13,200/- which I would otherwise be paying.

I didn't really want the spare wheel cover in the first place, but doesn't removing factory fitted items and demanding additional money to keep them on seem like cheating by the dealer? If this item was indeed fitted at the factory, then it was meant to be given with this vehicle. It's even painted the same color, whereas the accessory comes in primer finish and has to be painted at cost. Is the dealer really justified in taking off a factory fitted accessory and demanding extra for it?

They're also charging 4800/- for "essential accessories", which includes floor mats, boot mat, mud flaps, document holder, car perfume and official Ford keychain. I feel it's excessive, and I'm trying to get something else, like underbody coating by 3M.

Suggestions welcome!!

Last edited by vivekgk : 24th August 2016 at 19:50.
Old 24th August 2016, 21:46   #570
Senior - BHPian

It is clear that he is pulling a fast one on the spare cover. To confirm the same read the specs of the model you bought as given in a sales catalogue and it will clarify the matter.

The mats are always included with the vehicle and all dealers try and charge for them. These are the first to be thrown in when discounts are negotiated. The mud flaps too can be negotiated. The document holder, perfume and keychain you can ask him to keep and buy from an accessories shop at a fraction of the price.

While it's your money, your choice but the underbody coatings and teflon polishes are utterly useless on new vehicles.

The car's body has undergone enough processes in the paint shop to keep any rust etc at bay, in fact more than what any underbody coating can ever achieve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
...... I feel it's excessive, and I'm trying to get something else, like underbody coating by 3M.

Suggestions welcome!!
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks