Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2017, 20:22   #586
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List

I think points like Battery mfr year, tyre mfr year are also important. Many cases they are exchanged at factory or at dealer. Though they are covered under warranty, their actual life is much more.
Insist for a not so old tyres ( not more than 6 months) and batteries.
Old 8th January 2018, 09:53   #587
BHPian

Check Engine Light on during Delivery !

For the moment, I'm withholding the name of the brand (depending on what happens in the next day or two, I may / may not reveal the name). Also, this is a quick summary to get advice from experienced folks out here on what I should be doing.

So, I go to the showroom at 12:30 PM on Friday for taking delivery of my hatchback. All documentation formalities completed, Puja done, Photo Op complete. I am ready to drive out and starts the car. "Check engine" light stays on. I refuse to take the car amidst weird claims from sales folks that it is normal blah blah. Finally some personnel with some knowledge comes and acknowledges there is an issue. They agree to fix the 'minor' issue in half an hour (svc center is just 5 min away). More than an hour and with no information, I am taken to the Svc center on my insistence and I demand to see the OBD scan. Error 'P0011 IVT' shows up. They have some service handbook open which talks about Camshaft Timing, ECM, Wiring harness etc. They work on the Camshaft part, then replaces a solenoid (sorry, I'm not super technical). The errors stays and its almost 5 PM and I leave the place since I had to attend to some work. I shoot a mail to the company and dealership and by evening I get a complain number and contact details to Area Sales MAnager. As angry and disappointed as I was, somewhere I also felt it could be a minor issue and the fact that the car was already in my name, I thought if its fixed and with some written assurance from the brand, I could still own the piece.

Come Saturday, and I'm out of town. I get updates from the Area MAnager and Dealer Manager. The wiring harness is all checked in the morning. All of the noon goes in ECM check. In all this I shoot mails to the company with updates, since all of their communication with me are verbal. I tell the Area Manger verbally and by mail that if the Car is not fixed the same day, I wont be able to accept the car. He asks me for more time till Monday but I refuse. The day ends with the confirmation that ECM was not to blame. And the error still shows. On Sunday, I meet the "CEO" of the dealership who seems to be with me on the fact that I neednt accept a defective car and that they will ask the company for a new car. Again, all this is verbal 1:1 communication. He tells me the company engineers are flying down today to check on the car.

Need Advice: My position now is that I need a new car or a full refund of the amount. Wanted to know from experts on what my options are. The Car is in my name already. I had done a PDI, but unfortunately, our list really doesnt talk about starting the engine (I think its important to update to the PDF file). However in the later pages, it talks about starting the car, driving etc but I'm not sure all dealers would agree to it. Please advice on whether or not I should stick to my demand, or still be hopeful that it could be a minor issue?

On a side note: I also noticed the boot handle painted in a different shade of white. The explanation was that its fiber or plastic and on metal the white looks different. Then the door handles or mirror covers should be different too? Doesnt seem to be the case, but thats somthing I need to reconfirm. The Car VIN says Nov 2017 Mfd; so its not as if its an old car. But clearly the PDI was missed at the plant and/or the delaership

Waiting to get some quick inputs ...
Old 8th January 2018, 10:04   #588
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleo View Post
Check Engine Light on during Delivery !

For the moment, I'm withholding the name of the brand (depending on what happens in the next day or two, I may / may not reveal the name). Also, this is a quick summary to get advice from experienced folks out here on what I should be doing.
Considering your ordeal, I think you should mention the manufacturer/dealer.

Quote:
Need Advice: My position now is that I need a new car or a full refund of the amount.
Wait until the correct diagnosis and solution is found and executed. Most importantly, involve the manufacturer in writing: this post with every detail is very important.

Considering that the dealer has already spent two/three days troubleshooting, this doesn't seem to be something you can anticipate to go wrong/be okay with. If I were in your position, I'd demand a different, new car. However rational/irrational that may be.

But involve the manufacturer.

Quote:
On a side note: I also noticed the boot handle painted in a different shade of white.
Check other brand new cars to see if this explanation sticks. If not, you know something is not right.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 8th January 2018 at 10:33.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 09:53   #589
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
For the moment, I'm withholding the name of the brand (depending on what happens in the next day or two, I may / may not reveal the name).
Request to please NOT submit such posts in the future where only half-baked information is provided . It's against the ethos of Team-BHP.

When you post on Team-BHP, you either provide full details of your experience or nothing at all.
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 10:49   #590
BHPian

From what I found an a search for the error code, it appears to be a Nissan vehicle and relating to the intake valve timing.
swissknife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 12:28   #591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Request to please NOT submit such posts in the future where only half-baked information is provided . It's against the ethos of Team-BHP.

When you post on Team-BHP, you either provide full details of your experience or nothing at all.
I apologize for that and trust me it wasnt easy for me to decide for or against it since, I had to protect my interests as well. I do not wish to jeopardize any prospective solution the company may provide. I hope to be able to name the brand either way (If I have to drag them to court, I can name them anyway or if they give another car, then also I can name them in a positive way for addressing my concern). Request you to be patient with me over this
Old 23rd January 2018, 19:21   #592
BHPian

Update: Sorry it took a while to come back with an update. I had a different experience than expected from the Manufacturer (NISSAN) and the dealer (Shiv Nissan). Yes, someone here guessed it right.

So, it took 6 days for the issue to be fixed. By the second day, I had started demanding for a refund/new car. The local technicians worked on the car for the first three days, with no result. On the fourth day, Svc engineers were flown in to work on the issue (as per updates given to me, the camshaft valve, ECU, wiring harness all were fine after checking). On Day 5, I was informed by mail by the dealer that I can have my full refund. Later on Day 6, the Regional Svc Manager called to say the issue was fixed but I said NO to taking the car or a new one. I settled for a complete Refund. Though I tried to get some details on the issue, I was just told its a minor one.

The company was quite indifferent to my complaint and the response was cold, though I had a zonal SM assigned to me. It was me trying to get updates from him; than the other way. It was the dealer who was proactive and kept me informed of all the updates. That was a surprise to me since I have always read about dealers being indifferent. Right from the sales head to the GM were all courteous and kept reassuring me of a solution that will be in my interest.

I got a complete refund few days ago; and I signed the 'transfer' papers this week; that at least ensures they are not gonna sell it as new. Though it was a bitter experience, somewhere I'm happy that I didnt have to go through a whole lot and the dealer sorted things for me. The last I know, the dealer and Nissan - they were still debating who was responsible for the whole fiasco; guess i'll never know ...
Paleo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 19:50   #593
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The last I know, the dealer and Nissan - they were still debating who was responsible for the whole fiasco; guess i'll never know ...
Glad you got a resolution after all the disappointment of not being able to own the car you bought.

Did the RSM mention what the issue was? You've got to thank your stars this happened right at delivery. Would have been a whole different ball game had it turned out to be a lemon later into the ownership.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 23rd January 2018 at 19:54.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 03:25   #594
BHPian

Quote:
I signed the 'transfer' papers this week;

It is also your duty to ensure that you keep track of transfer and obtain a copy of RC after the transfer. This is just to ensure you have valid document in case of any mishap in future.

By the way, you are too lucky to have received a full refund.
petrolhead_chn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 09:49   #595
BHPian

Quote:
It is also your duty to ensure that you keep track of transfer and obtain a copy of RC after the transfer.
True; will follow up in a month or so

Quote:
By the way, you are too lucky to have received a full refund
I know !
Old 23rd February 2018, 12:51   #596
dmv
BHPian

Folks, any special tips for Audi A4 PDI ?
Old 13th March 2018, 19:46   #597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
It is also your duty to ensure that you keep track of transfer and obtain a copy of RC after the transfer. This is just to ensure you have valid document in case of any mishap in future.

By the way, you are too lucky to have received a full refund.
Confirming that the Micra was sold to someone else. I Went to Pune RTO and signed some forms in front of Dy RTO. Some new rule that if a car is less than 3 years, the previous owner has to be present in person. Anyway, chapter closed ! New Swift coming this week (Just did PDI and no 'Check Engine' light)!
Old 13th March 2018, 20:54   #598
BHPian

Quote:
Confirming that the Micra was sold to someone else. I Went to Pune RTO and signed some forms in front of Dy RTO. Some new rule that if a car is less than 3 years, the previous owner has to be present in person. Anyway, chapter closed ! New Swift coming this week (Just did PDI and no 'Check Engine' light)!
Does the new owner know about the entire episode with the previous owner? . If Nissan or you did tell him, do you think they may have received some lucrative discounts?
Old 14th March 2018, 13:23   #599
BHPian

I do not know the new owner. Obviously the dealer is not gonna tell him/her. Nor would they let us interact. But yeah hopefully he must have got a good deal (given the new car second owner condition)
Old 21st March 2018, 09:10   #600
BHPian

This PDI checklist and its various iterations by other members is really awesome. I am getting my first purchase in April. As per my understanding, the PDI checklist says that before final payment and registration, we need to check the VIN, engine and chassis number and also check for any body damage/repair. The real comprehensive inspection is to be done on the delivery day after registration has been done.

Shouldn't it be the other way around, that we should do comprehensive inspection before final payment and registration? This will ensure that any issue can be rectified before registration and we will have less things to check on the delivery day. I am assuming it'll take around 2-3 days for registration.

Also, I have booked the new facelifted EcoSport Titanium+ AT which comes with lots of electronics and sensors. Is it advisable to check each and every feature of the car which I think would take hours? If yes, then I'll list down all the features and check them one by one during PDI, however long it takes. Please advise.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks