Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2020, 15:39   #631
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List

I did the PRI today and it went smoothly. The car was brought to the showroom from the stockyard the previous night.

I had received the form 22 soft copy the previous night and got the info about my car from Hyundai's site.

The odo showed 13km and the date of manufacturing is Sep 2020.

I checked all around for any visible physical damage and then checked the VIN number on the chassis below the driver's seat and on the plate on the passenger's side. Checked the engine number as well. Have asked the SA to send me a pic of the RTO registration form before he submits it as currently we have signed on a blank form.

I opened the bonnet and checked if the caps and nozzles and wires look out of place. The oil dipstick was not fastened but I didn't bring it up or think much of it.

I asked the SA to start the car with the bonnet open and watched the engine crank up. There was some water dripping from the engine which stopped after 20 seconds. The SA said its probably because it was washed before he got it to the showroom.

The tires are CEAT while there was another car ready for delivery next to mine (same colour, same variant but not AMT), and it had Apollo tires. I am not sure if one is better than the other and also I am thinking I'll not change the tires right away as my usage is less.

Now, I have to make a decision about accessories.
Old 9th October 2020, 18:21   #632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinshark View Post
The tires are CEAT while there was another car ready for delivery next to mine (same colour, same variant but not AMT), and it had Apollo tires. I am not sure if one is better than the other and also I am thinking I'll not change the tires right away as my usage is less.
Congratulations!
My advice would be to change the Ceat's immediately for something like Michelins or Yokos to get the best price you can get for those tyres. The Ceats are not very good, atleast from what I've experience in our Spark. They are seemingly prone to constant punctures (atleast once in a month) even when the car is not driven on bad roads.
Speaking of accesories, don't take many of them from the dealer unless they are absolutely worth it since there are plenty of options available in the aftermarket.

Last edited by akash_v12 : 9th October 2020 at 18:22.
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 19:49   #633
Senior - BHPian

The checklist should be updated with :
Ensure HSRP fuel sticker is pasted on the windshield of the car

I have been following up with MGF Toyota, Gurgaon since 28th September because they forgot to install this fuel sticker back in Aug 2019 when I purchased my Yaris. Classic checklist item. I followed the checklist to the T otherwise.

Now it's a whodunit, with multiple dishonored commitments and no clarity on by when.

Ironically my Apr 2017 Ford Aspire (when these stickers were white in color and not color coded by fuel) got the stickers in ONE visit to the RTO HSRP agency, Link Utsav, Gurgaon. Just a 10 min wait and job done!

Last edited by phamilyman : 20th October 2020 at 20:14.
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 19:11   #634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoAficionado View Post
A more detailed checklist in XL format can be found in Page 11 of this thread.

Cheers
AutoAficionado
This XL is not working anymore. Anybody got a working copy?
Old 4th November 2020, 22:54   #635
BHPian

Folks - Been a long time since I bought a new car. Can you please let me know what all documents are we supposed to collect during delivery.

I know some obvious ones, but appreciate an input from folks who have taken delivery recently.

Invoice, sales certificate, PUC, temp registration certificate, PUC, warranty cards, fastag.

Am I missing anything major or minor?
Old 4th November 2020, 23:05   #636
Senior - BHPian

NFS2024, Form 22, Invoice, Temporary registration, insurance, user manual, other guides (infotainment system), Fastag, security cards etc for key code (if applicable).
PaddleShifter is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 11:27   #637
BHPian

My Nexon has reached the yard. Dealer says that I can visit the yard and do the PDI, but I won't be able to check all the electricals and things since the car does not come with all the electricals connected. The dealer does their own PDI and its only then the car will be fully functional. For example, he says the power steering wont work, but it will be regular steering until the dealer gives the necessary connections. I find it very hard to believe. Are they bluffing? I believe the car to be fully functional when it leaves the plant. How do they do the QC at plant otherwise?
DudeWithaFiat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 12:43   #638
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
My Nexon has reached the yard. Dealer says that I can visit the yard and do the PDI, but I won't be able to check all the electricals and things since the car does not come with all the electricals connected. The dealer does their own PDI and its only then the car will be fully functional.
Everything will be available, just that fuel tank would be near empty plus the connections to the battery will not be given.

The dealership will connect the battery, fill in some fuel and drive it to their dealership for their PDI before delivery.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 12:22   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash_R View Post
This XL is not working anymore. Anybody got a working copy?
This is a checklist that I modified from the original T-BHP one. The only changes are to compress the spacing so that it fits into 4 pages.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Car-Pre Delivery Inspection.xlsx (17.1 KB, 1353 views)
QuadraticAmoeba is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 08:47   #640
BHPian

I was using a slightly modified version - it has few additional rows for Audio checkings. The other issue I have noted regarding the clutch pedal in a few cars that I inspected; hence added that as well.
I just took the one added by @QuadraticAmoeba, and added mine.

A little bit re-formatting as well.

And a PDF version of the same also attached.
it is just four pages long. Take a print out in A4 pages.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Car-Pre Delivery Inspection v2_3.xlsx (17.9 KB, 862 views)
File Type: pdf Car-Pre Delivery Inspection v2_3.pdf (108.7 KB, 2452 views)

Last edited by basuk : 9th December 2020 at 09:04. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged; please use edit/multi-quote options when posting back-to-back. Thanks!
basuk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 10:51   #641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
For example, he says the power steering wont work, but it will be regular steering until the dealer gives the necessary connections.
That's strange. I think you should confront the guy the same questions you have posted here! Does he also mean that the odometers are not connected so that they can use it as test drive cars and sell it away? I have seen in Hyundai outlets where they gave me a odo disconnected grand i10 automatic for test drive. When asked, he said they do this quite often since they don't have all variants registered as test drive cars.
Goandiaries is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 19:36   #642
BHPian

My FIL is taking delivery of his Venue the coming week. Although the car is already in the lot, the dealer refused his request to even see the car without full payment, let alone a PDI-level comprehensive check.

Is this normal? I plan to ask the dealer to allow at least a cursory check of the vehicle, especially the VIN before payment is made. I don't want to get into any sort of issue, with the vehicle being manufactured in 2020/leakages/breakages.

What's the best to go about this? The SA who handled the purchase is on a long sick leave, so we do not have an existing relationship with the current SA either.
DeathPig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 08:53   #643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathPig View Post
The SA who handled the purchase is on a long sick leave, so we do not have an existing relationship with the current SA either.
Absolutely abnormal. You have got the complete right to do the PDI yourself and then transfer any money apart from whatever you have already paid. If they don't oblige, ask the SA to connect you with the GM and then talk to him. If the GM is the one not agreeing, escalate it to Hyundai. But, please do not take delivery of a car without doing a PDI. You can also post the VIN on this page (ARTICLE: Find your car's date of manufacture (VIN)) and someone will surely decode it for you!
akash_v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 17:01   #644
BHPian

Consider the following scenario - hypothetical but very possible.

I visit the yard and do the pre-registration inspection. Everything seems fine and I give the dealer a go-ahead for the registration formalities. Now, what if something happens to the vehicle while it is being driven from the yard to the showroom (for delivery) - say a small dent and the showroom does a quick fix job.

This quick-fix gets picked up by me during the PDI and of course I am not happy about it.

What options do I have now - the car is already registered to me.

Please guide.
Old 27th February 2021, 19:02   #645
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
Now, what if something happens to the vehicle while it is being driven from the yard to the showroom (for delivery) - say a small dent and the showroom does a quick fix job.
This isn't uncommon; unless the damage is significant and can't be fixed to 100% accuracy at the dealer's end, you get the dealer to fix it to your satisfaction (involve the manufacturer is necessary) and move on, accepting to be one of those things that just happens. If the car will never be perfect, you'd have to prepare for a (long?) fight to get the car replaced.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks