Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2021, 13:38   #691
Team-BHP Support

Re: ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayusht View Post
If I do the PDI right after the car is unloaded and hand over a DD/RTGS on spot, can the car not be taken right after that for registration? I am not worried about 2 more days of delay, but just wanted to consult this group. I guess after reading a few more comments, I will insist on doing the PDI first and immediately hand over the balance.
Absolutely, insist on PDI. Now that the deal is closed, the dealership would want the money as quickly as you want the car so if PDI is the blocker, they'll get it done quickly as well. Go to the dealer stockyard and do the PDI there itself so you can save time. From payment, it can take 2-3 days best case scenario for the HSRP plates to arrive. It often takes longer because RTO systems have a mind of their own, and dealers now hesitate/don't deliver without HSRP.
Old 6th December 2021, 19:38   #692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayusht View Post
Hi everyone,

Lastly, when doing the PDI of my in-laws Honda CRV last year, I had missed noticing an issue (despite having the Teambhp PDI checklist in hand), but my father in law noticed a warning light on the instrument cluster and he immediately flagged it to the advisor. It was a warning light for the "Check Engine" and the car was taken to the service center right away and delivered to us later the same day with the warning light fixed. After that experience, I realized that I may easily miss an issue. How do I do the PDI more diligently?
I am also in the same waiting space. I got a call today stating the vehicle has been dispatched from FCA Pune and should arrive here in about 5 days and asked for payment to be cleared. However, I have insisted on PDI before any form of payment. I am ok waiting another couple of days. The dealer has said from the time payment is cleared, it will take them 5 days to register and deliver which is ok. You have waited 45+ days, why not another couple of days

On due diligence, take a friend, in fact take a friend who is always suspicious of good things in life 2 to 3 pairs of eyes are better. Also, take your time to do the PDI. Dont be pushed by the dealer to complete quickly

Happy driving
Old 19th December 2021, 00:44   #693

How normal / abnormal is it for the dealer to remove the plastic seat covers? I have a feeling the car allotted to me was a display piece. The seat covers were removed, but the display has its cover. It's a July manufacture, and the tyres too are week 28 of year 21. Minor marks on the seats and lack of the plastic seat cover is nagging me.

I was in a hurry when I went to inspect the car (yes, that's a big fault of mine here), and didn't press this concern too much. I've dropped off the existing car for exchange and made 60% payment. I know, I know, I shouldn't have. But here I am.
Old 19th December 2021, 08:12   #694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailas View Post
How normal / abnormal is it for the dealer to remove the plastic seat covers? I have a feeling the car allotted to me was a display piece. The seat covers were removed, but the display has its cover. It's a July manufacture, and the tyres too are week 28 of year 21. Minor marks on the seats and lack of the plastic seat cover is nagging me.

Seat covers being removed are pretty abnormal nowadays I think. Haven't bought a car in 5 years, so can't say a lot but I think after COVID they started delivering the cars with the white PPE like material.
Your car's age would probably depend on the model and it's popularity. Either way, July is not something you should be expecting. I think if the car has not gone for registration you should ask the dealer for re-allotment.
Old 19th December 2021, 10:27   #695

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Seat covers being removed are pretty abnormal nowadays I think. Haven't bought a car in 5 years, so can't say a lot but I think after COVID they started delivering the cars with the white PPE like material.
Your car's age would probably depend on the model and it's popularity. Either way, July is not something you should be expecting. I think if the car has not gone for registration you should ask the dealer for re-allotment.
I too found July a bit too 'not recent enough' but then the year end discounts are because the cars were not sold as expected through the previous months. The Duster 1.3 (the car am buying, fingers crossed) has been having some discounts through the previous months, so it seems plausible that the a July manufactured piece was shipped only now.

My worry is about the missing plastic seat covers and minor marks on seats. Calling the SA now.
Old 20th December 2021, 17:13   #696

Went to the showroom in the morning. Made my apprehension about the missing plastic seat covers, and the three marks known to them. Was honest in telling them how this is a decision as much from the heart (in fact, more so) than an Excel sheet. They seemed to immediately see where am coming from, and did not persuade me any further. The only available options are even older manufactured (April and May).

Doesn't look good as of now. Though they may show proof of the car being delivered to Trident by Renault in November only, something about this whole thing doesn't pass the smell test. Since I've already given the existing car to them for exchange (yes, yes, that wasn't wise, I know), am likely to be left car-less. Will get the base value of the car though, but the Esteem was worth more to me than the 95k in the absence of another car.

"the boys mistook this for a delivery car and hence might have taken the covers off" is just not convincing.

Expecting an update this evening on what can be made available. They insist Duster 1.3 wasn't manufactured after August and now thanks to the year-end discounts they have more customers than cars available. Maybe it's an exaggeration to make me take what's available. Maybe there's some truth to that. In which case, am worse off than where I started. Oh well.
Old 28th December 2021, 11:20   #697
BHPian

I need advice on buying Tata car. I am planning to change my 5 years old Volkwagen ameo diesel automatic. Since my kids have grown up I am looking for a bigger one. Comfortable second row is absolute must. I found that Tata safari and Harrier both meet that requirement. However, I have seen and heard a lot of negative things about Tata dealerships and services. Particularly if we get some serious manufacturing defects. Can someone advise if it is good to go with Tata cars? With my present car, I have visited service Center only twice for non scheduled service issues in 5 years with 70000km run. Can I expect a similar experience?
Old 4th January 2022, 09:35   #698

I am about to do a pre-registration inspection of my S-Cross. I offered to visit the stockyard, but the salesperson said it would be inconvenient and has offered/insisted to get the car to showroom. Should that be fine?
My concern is the unnecessary driving of the car from stockyard to showroom and back to stockyard and then back to showroom for delivery.
Old 4th January 2022, 18:40   #699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapzero View Post
I offered to visit the stockyard, but the salesperson said it would be inconvenient and has offered/insisted to get the car to showroom. Should that be fine?
My concern is the unnecessary driving of the car from stockyard to showroom and back to stockyard and then back to showroom for delivery.
You should not care two hoots about how "inconvenient" it is for the dealership. Absolutely insist on visiting the stockyard and hold on to payments till then. Dealer staff is notorious for driving vehicles rashly and unnecessary revving is sure to cause long-term damage to the engine at this nascent stage. Since stockyards of majority dealers are on the outskirts, the car will have to travel a lot, while being handled by untrained staff. Put your foot down and tell them you will not relent on PDI at the stockyard itself.
IamNikhil is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 18:53   #700

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
You should not care two hoots about how "inconvenient" it is for the dealership. Absolutely insist on visiting the stockyard and hold on to payments till then.
Thanks a lot. Did that and the dealer agreed. Used the team bhp PDI checklist.
swapzero is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 12:06   #701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapzero View Post
I am about to do a pre-registration inspection of my S-Cross. I offered to visit the stockyard, but the salesperson said it would be inconvenient and has offered/insisted to get the car to showroom. Should that be fine?
This was the situation when I took delivery of my Baleno in Nexa Hyderabad.
But since I planned to take delivery in the next 2 days, the car remained in the showroom parking after the PDI. I would suggest that you instruct the same to the SA.
Old 9th February 2022, 14:28   #702
BHPian

Hi All,

Sorry if this is a lazy question but is there an updated PDI checklist other than what is present in page 1? Since that is dated 2007, I just wanted to check if there is something more recent.
ulag62442 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 21:11   #703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StableRide View Post
I wanted their help in doing PDI for new car (Nexon) at dealers stockyard. If anyone can help me with this I would be grateful.
Please use the checklist available in the beginning of this thread and conduct the PDI on your own. You can take a friend/family member along. Just ensure that you go through the list completely beforehand (at home) so that you know what to look for and where.
Quote:
I will try to compensate for your involvement. Thank you
Time permitting, every Bhpian would be happy to assist you in PDI. The very process will be compensation enough.

Someone staying in your vicinity might offer to accompany you. Do post details such as your location, the showroom / stockyard and the date of proposed PDI here.

I don't think there are - as yet - any paid service providers who would do an independent PDI for a new car.
dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 19:46   #704
BHPian

Just curious to know... Is there any standard operating procedure given to dealers that mandates them to push for full payment even before they show your car? I find this amusing.. My SA has been pestering me for full payment saying the car is enroute. On asking him to share the VIN/PDI he says he will check and share after the car arrives! This is same across various brand dealers here in Chennai.

Last edited by Rjeevan : 23rd February 2022 at 19:47.
Old 23rd February 2022, 20:21   #705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjeevan View Post
Just curious to know... Is there any standard operating procedure given to dealers that mandates them to push for full payment even before they show your car? I find this amusing.. My SA has been pestering me for full payment saying the car is enroute. On asking him to share the VIN/PDI he says he will check and share after the car arrives! This is same across various brand dealers here in Chennai.
It’s been said numerous times on this thread and elsewhere: DO NOT, under any circumstances pay in full until you’ve completed the PDI yourself or atleast the VIN has been allotted to you. It will usually lead to the dealer getting more authority to the dealer in the booking and they will create problems incase something is not upto your expectations.
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks