Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2022, 18:16   #706

Re: ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List

We had booked a Suzuki Avenis about 2 weeks ago. We used the PDI checklist and shortlisted a vehicle. While there, I had noted the VIN number on the display/test vehicle along with the VIN of the vehicle we had shortlisted as they were the same color. We proceeded to pay in full without any discounts. I received the insurance document last week and lo, it was the display vehicles VIN mentioned in the document.

Our mistake? The PDI checklist does say we need to fill up all the blanks in the form, but we just checked the vehicle and signed the blank documents and left.

After a long shouting match, manager tried the excuse that the executive did not mention that we wanted that particular vehicle and the executive who was conveniently on leave mentioned that the manager did not assign the correct vehicle. Then a lot of new excuses later, they tried to give us discounts, offer spot delivery of another vehicle, etc. But I was done dealing with this showroom (Aryan Suzuki, Mahadevapura) and their lack of professionalism and asked for the full refund. They agreed and said they would give it within 3 working days. They did not have the letterhead of the showroom and hence gave it in writing with their sign and seal.

It has been 5 working days now and when we follow up, they are saying that the check needs two signs and two of three owners are out of station and that it would be ready by 6th day, ie. tomorrow.

I am running out of patience and the dream of getting a happy showroom delivery for my better half has turned into this nightmare of an experience for her first purchase.

In summary - Do not be like me and spend time to ensure everything is filled up when you sign a document.

I am yet to get my refund from the showroom and the excuses they are giving seems to be valid as well. What are my options in case this drags on? Please help.
Old 6th May 2022, 01:03   #707

Quote:
Originally Posted by theanand View Post
Please help.
I finally got my full refund from the showroom! Lesson learnt about filling up the VIN number before signing the documents than just looking at the vehicle condition.

In the process, I learnt that the TC registration will expire in 30 days and insurance has a 14 day cancellation as well. So it is up to the showroom to decide the refund as they technically do not lose anything. Thankfully the vehicle was not registered in our name, that would meant that we would have had to take delivery. Hope this information helps someone else.

Also, thumbs up to the Suzuki support, they helped talk to the owner of the dealership through conference call and ensured all support in getting the money back.
theanand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 19:56   #708

Hi all,

I had booked Nexon Diesel Kaziranga edition on 23rd March at Lakshmi Tata, Guindy. Chennai. The vehicle was allocated around 24th April - Due to expected price rise from 1st may, i had accepted to process loan after VIN and engine no was shared with me (after a lot of push) -hence, 100% has been paid. i realize this should not have been done. Vehicle reached the showroom on 10th and i did a PDI. After a thorough check, noted a number of smaller issues and some were major. Overall was satisfied though. VIN number indicates April 2022 manufacture date (thanks to Team BHP) on the guidelines.

I had done the PDI on 10th May (monday). Until now, everything was seamless.

Subsequent to this, the dealer is still working to get the PDI issues sorted despite they having their own service centre and unwilling to commit a delivery date so far. The same was escalated internally within the dealership at GM level as well as filed a compliant with Tata Motors customer care. I have put the insurance process on hold and of course registration has not yet been done (pending PDI clearance) as well.

I would like seek expert suggestion on what i should do. how long should i wait and take a call to cancel.

Overall, extremely displeased with the experience.
Old 19th May 2022, 16:36   #709
BHPian

Hello everyone.
Today is indeed an extremely sad day for me. After multiple sleepless nights (waiting for the Thar Petrol MT HT), I finally got a call from my dealer asking me to visit the showroom for the PDI. My father and I rushed to the showroom (Royal Motors Tollygunje Branch in Kolkata) to see our new family member in the flesh (finally).

We were allowed to ‘see’ it after 15 confusing minutes(where they seemed to have zero clue about the current location of the vehicle) but the first sight was disheartening to say the least.
1)It was completely dusty and on the insides there was mud all over the floor mats.
2)There was a visible dent and some scratches on the bonnet
3)The rusted front disc plate resembled Sir Old Tow Mater from the Cars movies.
4)The adhesive paste that was supposed to glue the hard top was oozing out from one corner of the driver-side door.
5)The tires had been manufactured way back in December 2021 (502021). Funnily enough there was another Thar waiting for delivery which had tires from Feb 2022.
6)The tires were also incorrectly fitted based on the tire joint sign
7)I also decoded the VIN details following the tbhp thread and found that it had been manufactured in Jan 22.
Out of all the red flags that was probably the biggest one. How can a car that has delivery promises extending over 4 months remain unsold in the last 5 months?

I was left baffled and terribly disappointed.
I contacted the their branch head Mr.Saikat and asked for a replacement and he said he will arrange it shortly.

Let’s see how it goes from here !

Huge thanks to my fellow tbhpians in Kolkata for helping me out with the Pdi pointers and sharing their suggestions on the issues highlighted!
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List-bcb3a1b34acc44d28bf7dbbacd4fcd1c.jpeg  

ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List-1eb7ca4851bf48c8a69c4d2301ea1b0c.jpeg  

ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List-38cde8edc6f44d92afbd1da003b28745.jpeg  

ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List-fb6a2278df4d4e2fa397c1fba3ace3ff.jpeg  

Old 6th June 2022, 18:39   #710
BHPian

We took our new car Tata Altroz to home today. I did PDI before and found nothing to worry about. But after taking car to home, I noticed below things.
1) Rust on Disk Brakes (both sides)
2) Uneven paint finish near spare wheel space.

Is this Ok. I am new to car world and this is our first brand new car. I am worried. Do I need to visit service center to get them fixed?
ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List-20220606_160450.jpg

ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List-20220606_164327.jpg
sany0023 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 19:12   #711
BHPian

Should PDI be done, before completing the Loan Agreement and generating the final invoice/insurance, etc?

First time buying a car on my own.
Old 17th June 2022, 20:18   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anirudhbb View Post
Should PDI be done, before completing the Loan Agreement and generating the final invoice/insurance, etc?

First time buying a car on my own.
(1) I also have same question - should PDI be done before releasing the payments (loan amount + own cash payment)?
(2) I have another question - does this thorough checklist be followed properly? They will not get irritated? I mean I am feeling little awkward
India2022 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 16:44   #713
BHPian

This is a fabulous manifesto as I have always have felt about it. Howver on the specifics of PDI -

"Check the car again: A lot could have happened between the pre-registration inspection and today. It’s best to walk around the car and ascertain that the car is super clean! Look for any signs of repair work / damage such as paint difference, dents etc. Even the interiors should be squeaky clean."

But beyond this there are no specifics of what I shoudl check. Is there a thread for Pre-registration check that talks of the exact things you need to check on the vehicle regarding condition etc ?
Old 20th June 2022, 17:20   #714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sany0023 View Post
We took our new car Tata Altroz to home today. worried. Do I need to visit service center to get them fixed?

The rust on the brake disc is very normal!
The unpainted sealant on the rear is something I would need a better look at. Please take a look at the others cars and see of they are also the same. If they are then nothing to worry about - This is how they come from the factory.
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 00:19   #715
BHPian

Finally after negotiating with 4 different dealers across two states I have sealed the deal with Aaron Jeep, Kolhapur. Sky Moto was my 1st choice since it was in Pune and I knew the SA very well (we had cancelled a Petrol AT Compass in 2019). My Compass has finally arrived & going for PDI tomorrow. Is there anything specific I should look for in the compass? I'm carrying the checklist t-bhp checklist.
Old 1st July 2022, 21:40   #716
BHPian

Hi Folks!

Had booked a Toyota Innova Crysta ZX AT at Nandi Toyota last month. The dealer today confirmed that the car has arrived in their stocklyard. Planning to go for a PDI tomorrow (2nd July) morning.

This is my first time with Toyota. Wanted to check if there's anything that I should be particular about?
Old 2nd July 2022, 17:36   #717

MHad booked Tata Nexon and is on its way to Bangalore. I have requested for a PDI and dealer agreed. But the twist is he has asked for ex-showroom price payment to be done as soon as possible to keep car allocated to me. He said post PDI I can pay RTO and Insurance charges. Is this a right expectation?
Old 2nd July 2022, 19:10   #718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkponders View Post
MHad booked Tata Nexon and is on its way to Bangalore. I have requested for a PDI and dealer agreed. But the twist is he has asked for ex-showroom price payment to be done as soon as possible to keep car allocated to me. He said post PDI I can pay RTO and Insurance charges. Is this a right expectation?
Nope, unless you see the car alloted to you and do the PDI, no need to pay anything beyond booking fee. Only after the PDI is passed I will pay, invoice the car and then register the car.
Old 3rd July 2022, 07:34   #719
BHPian

Do not pay a single penny apart from the booking amount until the car pass your PDI checklist exam
Old 6th July 2022, 15:31   #720
BHPian

Can anyone please help to notice any issue with this PDI snap?

I've got two snaps only one is this and other is of VIN embossed under the hood. So have asked for more photos but not sure if I'll get them.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List-img20220630114125.jpg  

Most Viewed