Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2008, 12:25   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not the gift, but the thought that counts .
Thanks GTO, I did and the guys were quite happy
Old 3rd June 2008, 22:58   #62

How to validate Chassis/Engine number ???

I have recently booked 1.6 Fiesta zxi P but registration is not yet done. I have come to know the engine/chassis number of my car. Now can anyone (I have already read about this in this forum only but can't locate it now) please explain me how I can get the manufacturing date of my car from the chassis number?

-Kanchan
Old 12th June 2008, 15:31   #63

Looking for PDI check list for tata safari
Please help
Old 31st July 2008, 12:12   #64
BHPian

Do dealers do a WB/WA when doing PDI? Is it important that this is carried out at the time of delivery? I know the vehicle has not been run and the chances are low, but what if there is a problem with the manufacturing or damage before delivery? Unless a WB/WA is done before PDI every problem in this area will be pointed as a customer problem....any thoughts?
Old 31st July 2008, 17:43   #65
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nope Madhav, AFAIK most dealers don't perform wheel balancing / alignment in the PDI. I guess it comes all set from the factory.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2008, 17:55   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav View Post
Do dealers do a WB/WA when doing PDI? Is it important that this is carried out at the time of delivery? I know the vehicle has not been run and the chances are low, but what if there is a problem with the manufacturing or damage before delivery? Unless a WB/WA is done before PDI every problem in this area will be pointed as a customer problem....any thoughts?
If you want to cover that also, get it done before taking delivery. No harm. Actually it is a good idea. The way these cars are driven from the yard to the showroom, you never know how many potholes the car had to endure.
Old 27th August 2008, 12:12   #67
manukale

Watch for the tyres & batteries too!

Hi,

Further to the tips mentioned, pls ensure that all the tyres (including the spare wheel) are of the same make & their manufacturing month & year is the same.

Also, note the details of the battery (mfg. date & year) & brand.

Do not compromise for cheaper brands forboth battery & tyres.

I can not restrict myself from sharing an experience when we had bought our Maruri 800 MPFI. For the shortlisted colour, there were two options : 1 fitted with the Lucas (India) & another with Densu (Japan) MPFI kits. We went for the Densu, whereas the serviceman was insisting for Lucas (India) stating that the Lucas would be better in future. But I insisted for Densu for reasons: 1) cost was same, 2) it was from Japan - well worsed with Suzuki, 3) in any case when MPFI kit goes wrong, it needs to replaced (can not be repaired). Did I do right thing? Pls. revert

Old 27th August 2008, 13:37   #68

Thanks

I never knew that you are allowed to visit the yard pre registration, thanks for this tip. it is really useful!!!
Old 27th August 2008, 15:28   #69
Senior - BHPian

Well mate my understanding is that this charge is mentioned at various places by various names such as Number Plate and Handling , Service Charge for Registration etc this is simply because bribe to RTO does not look nice on paper , out of 6104 some figure will be for actual Metal number plate may be 104 and rest for the "handling charges"

Well in case I am wrong here I would be happy to stand corrected
Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh159 View Post
Hi,
In my invoice for Alto Lxi, there is a charge of Rs. 6104 as permanent Registration Charges, can somebody tell me is this the road tax ?
How it is calculated ???
Old 13th September 2008, 17:59   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

How I wish I had joined T-BHP before I bought my car.
Though I didn't have any bad experience as such, but after going through the posts , I realized that it was sheer luck!! And there was absolutely nothing from my side that could save me had there been some serious flaw!

A great list and highly recommended one, first time buyer or otherwise.
Old 13th September 2008, 18:54   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Well mate my understanding is that this charge is mentioned at various places by various names such as Number Plate and Handling , Service Charge for Registration etc this is simply because bribe to RTO does not look nice on paper , out of 6104 some figure will be for actual Metal number plate may be 104 and rest for the "handling charges"

Well in case I am wrong here I would be happy to stand corrected

My dealer was pretty upfront with me, I paid cash :P, the good thing is the RTO ppl threw in a good number
Old 14th December 2008, 19:56   #72
BHPian

Being Couteous

It really helps !
thanking the sales staff and giving a gift to the sales person is really a good idea! you can get back to him for any help and he will help you with a smile!!!

I did this when i got my Honda Activa 2 wheeler , when i wanted to sell it a few months later , this same person helped me in selling it to some customer who had come to the dealership for a new vehicle !!!!
got a great price for it !! did not loose more than 2k

Really Works!!!
Old 5th January 2009, 19:46   #73
BHPian

I have booked a i10 magna. delivery is some time away (15 days). i am planning to go the yard for a pre-registration check. thanks to t-bhp. the showroom people were pretty suprised. i plan to look for
1. body line
2. odometer
3. any damage etc.
4. battery / tyre dates.
how do i check the manufacturing date/month of i10
am i allowed a test drive?
anything else to look for?

Last edited by drkunaldas : 5th January 2009 at 19:47. Reason: sentence correction
Old 5th January 2009, 20:06   #74
Senior - BHPian

They probably will not allow you to take a test drive.

As for the manufacturing date/month, ask them about it. It may be punched somewhere on the body. If that can't be found, look for the VIN or ask them for it. Decode the VIN using the information from here and you'll be able to find out the manufacturing date.

Do take a printout of the PDF from this post. It is very handy. I surprised the heck out of the Honda dealership going there armed with that sheet.

Last edited by GTO : 6th November 2012 at 11:01. Reason: Updating link that's expired
Old 24th January 2009, 10:11   #75
BHPian

Hi,

i am trying to opt for extended warranty for my i10, will i get any additional card/some paper for it , other than payment receipt

Thanks

Most Viewed