Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2011, 22:23   #346

Re: ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List

How important and useful this thread is can be proved by the fact that today I was informed that I had been allotted my New registration number for my New Swift Dzire ZDi and the same was confirmed to me.I went to take my delivery and after the formality noticed a different number in my car. I inquired and was told that it is the number that was confirmed.On further probing the mistake was identified and I received the correct number.

Thanks forum members.
Old 16th December 2011, 15:24   #347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abes View Post
Very informative & practical thread.

I had some free time today, so put all these info into a word doc, & is uploaded here. Hope I am not infringing on any copyrights!
Thanks Abes! I wish the mods add this to the first post. It proves to be very helpful.
Old 19th December 2011, 16:24   #348
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just a heads up : The PDI checklist has been added as a downloadable PDF file. Check it out in the opening post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Note from Mod : The Team-BHP PDI Checklist is now available as a PDF file which you can carry with you. You can download the PDF here: Attachment 858497
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 08:53   #349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just a heads up : The PDI checklist has been added as a downloadable PDF file. Check it out in the opening post.
Thanks GTO

As an addition, I would like to request to elaborate the pre-registration checklist in the PDF file. It will help to catch the tiniest of problems in the stock yard itself.
Old 20th December 2011, 16:19   #350
BHPian

Guys I am getting my PDI done tomorrow. Had to have a major "discussion" with him(dealer) to agree to have a look at the car before paying the full amount. Finally relented.

I intend to get my tyres changed straight out of the showroom. Do I have to get it balanced & realigned also or is that considered as part of getting one's tyres changed.

Last edited by AvinashV : 20th December 2011 at 16:20. Reason: Grammatical errors
Old 21st December 2011, 15:12   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
I intend to get my tyres changed straight out of the showroom. Do I have to get it balanced & realigned also or is that considered as part of getting one's tyres changed.
Yes you should get the alignment balancing done when you change the tyres.
Old 23rd December 2011, 08:21   #352
BHPian

So this is my first post, and I need some advice,

I had booked a Chevy Beat LT on the 10th of Dec in Bangalore by paying the advance booking amount of 5k,

My funding is 75% loan and 25% own money and because of the fact that I came to bangalore only a month back (I was abroad before that) to reduce complications in the loan process, I applied for a loan from HDFC in Chennai with my Dad as co-applicant (my parents stay in Chennai)

Now the problem is that during the loan application process I signed Form 20 (because the bank & dealer said I had to).

will my signing the form 20 give the dealer the upperhand in not letting me do a proper PRI? and also can I pay the balance amount only after I do a PRI?

The car is expected to arrive at the dealer on Saturday (24th Dec) but that is just an approx and my loan still hasn't got approved. The other issue is that I need to finish off the payment before the end of the month to prevent paying extra (car prices increase in Jan)

so in a scenario where the car has not arrived before the end of the month, should I pay off the balance amount without doing a PRI? also, once the payment has been made, form 20 has been already signed, do you think the dealer will act smart and prevent me from doing a PRI?

I anyways plan to get the car registered in Jan, but have to pay in Dec regardless of whether the car comes or not...

I may be contradicting myself but could use some advice.
Old 24th December 2011, 16:30   #353
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks GTO.. Opened this thread to ask for a list that can be carried and found it... I am taking delivery of the Titanium Plus next week and this list will be useful.
Old 27th December 2011, 14:28   #354
BHPian

Hi, my friend booked a i20 Asta (Grey) at Trident Hyundai on Sankey Road, Bangalore. He got the VIN today and after decoding it, we found it be an August 2011 make. I'm just wondering, for a car that does ~8k every month, why has this car been unsold? The Sales rep says, all cars in the stockyard are August make is there anything fishy? Please do let me know your thoughts.
Old 2nd January 2012, 22:00   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
So this is my first post, and I need some advice,......

I may be contradicting myself but could use some advice.
This is relating to the query I had posted a few days back but since I wasnt able to get any replies, I pretty much solved it myself. So this is how it went-

The car was supposed to arrive at the stockyard on the 28th and as it turns out (after talking to the SA and then the Manager) the car only got built on the 28th in the factory But owing to my fear of a price rise in Jan (which doesnt seem to have happened for the petrol version) I paid the remaining blance amount and got the loan transferred on the 29th. After pushing for the VIN, I got it on 28th itself but as it turned out, they provided me with the wrong VIN. Found this out when I went to make the payment on the 29th. Luckily the difference in VIN was just by one car and not the month/yr of manufacturing.

The car which was supposed to arrive on the 4th came two days early i.e. today morning, and I rushed to get a PRI done in the afternoon. The only thing which prevented them from going ahead with registration was that I had not submitted documents required for the same. I made sure that I would get to do a PRI (considering I had made the payment before the car arrived) and as planned I did the PRI today (and gave the registration documents).

Went to the showroom, asked to see the car, was taken to the stockyard and few hundred meters behind the showroom and there were a hundred new cars (some old) ready to be given to owners. Saw a Black Beat LT petrol, which turns out wasnt mine and was the one as per the wrong VIN (came to know after I had done a PRI). Mine was actually kept in the showroom compound itself. Anyways, went there did a PRI as per the checklist (most of it at least).

But there was one issue. There was a lot of dust (I mean a lot!) on the car. This resulted in a lot of marks on the bumpers, bonnet, everywhere. While they looked like scratches you could rub them off with your fingers. Unfortunately I couldnt have been sweeping the car whole day, so I let it be hoping that none of them are scratches.

Will get delivery in a day or two, so basically thanks a lot for the pointers, tips and experiences given by people in this thread!
Old 5th February 2012, 09:19   #356
BHPian

My close friend had booked a hyundai Verna fluidic somewhere in Nov 2011 and was promised a delivery in 2012 Jan. He had insisted for a 2012 manufactured car during booking. The showroom had also agreed and hence the late delivery in Jan end.

Fast forward 2 months and it's time for PDI. The showroom told him that they have got him a 2012 car. On pdi.. He found out that it's a Aug 2011 car... He canceled his booking as he didn't trust the showroom

Team bhp saves the day and hard earned money infection again!!!
Old 11th February 2012, 19:34   #357
BHPian

Hi All, Completed the PDI of FIAT G Punto MJD Emotion, myself based on the checklist from TeamBHP, all was well, except one minor issue and one huge panel gap, in right hand side near the bonnet, wiper ending part. There is a 5mm panel gap, when compared to the other side which was perfect, the breach is, the black plastic that integrates with the side body does not meet the body , pictures attached, mod's please advice as how to make the dealer fix the issue before taking delivery. Is this do-able?

The second issue was a small chunk of white pain missing in the front bumper left hand side., the dealer promised to touch up when they prepare the vehicle for delivery,. fingers crossed and awaiting for your feedback top proceed further,

As of now requested dealer to fix the issue before delivery but as usual does not budge and is not interested to accept my feedback on this rather pushing me to take delivery saying no car is perfect all cars come with flaws, may be we can address in first service blah blah blah.
Old 28th April 2012, 11:26   #358
BHPian

Please be kind enough to clear these doubts of mine:-

The pre-delivery guidelines on Team-BHP say that we should not sign the invoice or hand over the entire payment to the dealer before doing the final check at the showroom. I am confused about the timeline: the loan amount (including the down-payment) will get disbursed a day earlier from the bank straight to the dealer's account. So, is that ok or is it something that I should prevent? If it is the latter, then, what do I tell them? Not give the down-payment till the day I drive out with the new car?

Also, the dealer would be doing the registration on our behalf. Is that ok or should we make it a point to go as well? The stockyard check would be the only check possible before registration, right? Or, will there be another opportunity to check the car before registration?

These queries will sound amateurish but I am wary of the dealer here. So, thanks in advance for your help.
Old 14th June 2012, 22:24   #359
BHPian

New rules at HDFC Bank for Car Finance

I have booked a Chevy Beat by paying 25000, and having been in the know, asked the dealer to ensure that the car alloted to me undergoes PDI. I also made it clear that in case the car is found to have any defects, scratches or repairs, I am within my rights to reject it.

However, when I applied for a car loan with HDFC Bank, they said, they would not disburse untill the dealer issues a insurance cover note. Now, for issuing the insurance cover note, the dealer has to assign a engine and chassis number, which means I will lose the insurance amt, if indeed the car is rejected by me. Also, I am not sure how the dealer will assign a car and give me insurance note having only received 25000.

Its very confusing at the moment. Also, HDFC Bank stated that this cover note procedure started only 3 months back.

Please help with your suggestions.
Old 15th June 2012, 08:05   #360
Senior - BHPian

Re: New rules at HDFC Bank for Car Finance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornax View Post
I have booked a Chevy Beat by paying 25000, and having been in the know, asked the dealer to ensure that the car alloted to me undergoes PDI. I also made it clear that in case the car is found to have any defects, scratches or repairs, I am within my rights to reject it.

However, when I applied for a car loan with HDFC Bank, they said, they would not disburse untill the dealer issues a insurance cover note. Now, for issuing the insurance cover note, the dealer has to assign a engine and chassis number, which means I will lose the insurance amt, if indeed the car is rejected by me. Also, I am not sure how the dealer will assign a car and give me insurance note having only received 25000.

Its very confusing at the moment. Also, HDFC Bank stated that this cover note procedure started only 3 months back.

Please help with your suggestions.
@Fornax
This is confusing. Why would you want the dealer to do the PDI when you should do it personally to check for any defects/issues. Secondly why does HDFC want the Insurance note from the dealer when you could buy the Insurance online/through agent and submit it to them.
Normally the car loan amt is disbursed after you have paid your part to the dealer isnt it? Once you have paid your part, the dealer assigns the car to you (subject to you approval post PDI), you take an insurance and submit the papers to HDFC before the registration. Pls correct me if I am wrong in my understanding.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed