Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2012, 00:25   #376

Re: ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List

Booked a Swift Vdi at Popular Automobiles, Annanagar, Chennai, and the delivery was scheduled today at 5pm. The sales person calls at 3pm and says the car met with an accident and has a dent near the fuel lid?

Detailed version:
Went to book a Swift at Popular Automobiles 2 weeks ago.
Asked the sales person for the earliest delivery date possible. He said there is a Vdi which he can deliver immediately as the Finance got rejected for the person to whom that car was allotted previously. We got the finance and made the down payment. We asked them to show the vehicle or atleast give the engine and chassis number. They said they will give all details once the entire payment process is over. Out of exitement as the delivery date neared we forgot the engine and chassis number details.

Called the sales guy this morning and he said that the car has gone to the RTO for regn. Went and paid the accesories amount of Rs43,000, at 2pm, the the sales guy said that the car has gone to the yard for a wash as it was a rainy day. I asked them to deliver the car during day light as I wanted to do a PDI. He said he will deliver by 5 or Ican take it at 10am tomorrow. I said I want it before 5pm. 45 mins after leaving the showroom got a call from the Sales guy telling that some 2wheeler guy hit the car and ran away. Went to the showroom immediately. They said that they will tinker and repaint and deliver by 10am tomorrow.

The car is now registered in my name, But it is not yet delivered to me. I haven't even seen it. Full payment made. Damaged is quite severe near the fuel lid and bumper(as per mobile clicks shown by the showroom guys)

What should I do now? The situation is quite critical. Is this any kind of scam? Guide me folks, This is my 1st car. Hard earned and saved money, 7.10 lakhs.
Old 7th November 2012, 21:27   #377

fellow bhpians, I am planning to buy the New RITZ VDI from Khivraj Motors Pvt Ltd, annasalai and i have paid an advance of Rs.5000. I was quoted 6.76 lacs. I was checking the breakdown of the charges.Some of them are
PDI charges - 2000
handling charges (during registration time) - 2000
accessories (floor mats,mudflaps...etc) - 2000
safety tax - 1500
diesel charges (required to drive the car from showroom to RTO and back ) - 1000
RTO bribery - 4000

Is these charges genuine ? or i am being ripped of here?
Old 8th November 2012, 12:08   #378
Senior - BHPian

This is a complete rip off. PDI charges? Safety tax? Diesel charges? RTO bribery?
Even the handling charges are illegal but these are now quoted by dealers across the board. Rest are all fictitious save the payment for accessories.

Suggest you visit a few other dealers and get comparative offers. If need be Advance is always 100% refundable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escaflowne View Post
fellow bhpians, I am planning to buy the New RITZ VDI from Khivraj Motors Pvt Ltd, annasalai and i have paid an advance of Rs.5000. I was quoted 6.76 lacs. I was checking the breakdown of the charges.Some of them are
PDI charges - 2000
safety tax - 1500
diesel charges (required to drive the car from showroom to RTO and back ) - 1000
RTO bribery - 4000

Old 9th November 2012, 14:50   #379
BHPian

Quote:
RITZ VDI from Khivraj Motors Pvt Ltd, annasalai and i have paid an advance of Rs.5000. I was quoted 6.76 lacs. I was checking the breakdown of the charges.Some of them are
PDI charges - 2000
safety tax - 1500
RTO bribery - 4000

Bought many cars till date. What is this.. never heard of them before.
PDI charges.
Safety tax, what safety.
Diesel charges/ RTO bribery whats going on..here.
Handling charges even though declared illegal still figures in all the quotes.
but i have never seen this breakup maybe the dealers lump it together under handling charges. it's a rip off..
Old 9th November 2012, 15:11   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
safety tax - 1500
RTO bribery - 4000

Sorry, But I couldnt stop laughing not at you but at the audacity of the dealer who is charging you for RTO bribery. Tell him to take a good look at himself in the mirror. You are of course being ripped off.

Didnt know that MS dealers have now resorted to these tactics, you should forward the quote to MS and if possible get it published on the new or papers. Need to get the dealer blacklisted for suggesting bribery.
Old 10th November 2012, 09:00   #381

Actually the dealer is not willing to give in writing.he just says its handling charges. They say it is a whole package and they cannot list the charges. I asked what you do in handling and he is not ready to give any information and says "you can check with others dealers, every one charges the same. .I check with ABT motors and Idus Motors, both on them said the same thing, handling charges. I wonder these dealers have a association or something.
Old 16th November 2012, 14:58   #382
Senior - BHPian

Was helping a very good friend do a PDI for his brand new Beat D LT and compiled a checklist from the original posted in the beginning of this thread into a one pager for his quick reference (all the points are from the original document, credit goes fully to the original authors).

Sharing the same if it of use to others-

1. Note the mileage. It should be as close to zero as possible.
2. Note the manufacturing date and engine and chassis number.
3. Look over the bodywork. Carefully sight along the sides of the car, from front to rear and vice versa, looking for ripples, dimples and dings.
4. Look for paint over-spray on door ledges or around the edges of the engine compartment that might indicate repairs.
5. Doors, hoods, trunks, deck lids, and lift gates: Do they all work correctly? Do they seal properly?
6. Open bonnet. Is the engine compartment in perfect shape? Is every dipstick, plastic cover, and wire harness present and properly secured? Check all the fluids are at optimal levels level:transmission, Engine Oil, Coolant, Break oil, Power steering oil,windscreen water and battery water.
7. Check the Battery: No corrosion should be present on the electrodes.
8. Is the trunk in perfect shape? Is the carpeting properly fastened?
9. Tires: Check the dates on the tires , tires should be fresh. What is the proper air pressure?
10. Look in the glove box. Does it open properly? Does it lock?
11. Windows and Mirrors: Make sure there are no defects (chips, cracks).
12. Get in the car. Is the interior in perfect shape? Carpet,headliner, seats should have no tears, stains, or damage.
13. Driver's Seat: Do you know how to work the seat positioncontrols and where they are located?
14. Keys: Do you have more than one set? Is the remote entry working?
15. Headlights (low and high beams), tail lights, emergency flashers,brake lights, backing lights, trunk light, hood light, interior lights (map lights, dome lights, glove box, reading lights, running board lights).
16. Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning: Switch on AC. Check AC for cooling.
17. Check the Sound System: Does it sound correct to your ear?
18. Listen carefully to engine idle. Does it sound okay?
19. Look at the tailpipe. Any abnormal smoke or color? Moisture?
20. Brakes: Do you like the feel of the brake pedal (even and smooth)?
21. When you put the vehicle into gear, does it sound okay?
22. Noise Check. Listen for the Buzz Squeaks and Rattles (BSR)
23. Watch the gauges. Do they move and register properly? (Gauges include the odometer, speedometer, tachometer, oil pressure, and coolant temperature.)
24. Check the vehicle's handling: Can it turn a tight U-turn? Does it make any strange noises? Make right and left turns. Does the steering respond properly?
Attached Files
File Type: docx New car checklist.docx (12.6 KB, 1329 views)

Last edited by girishglg : 16th November 2012 at 15:02.
girishglg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 13:02   #383
BHPian

Not sure if this is covered but here's 1 from my side based on my recent experience:
  • Check the battery serial number on the battery and the battery warranty card. This has to match.
  • If the warranty card does not have the battery serial number, insist on this being captured on the warranty card
  • Make a note somewhere of the battery serial #. This will help.

I didn't do any of the above and am now paying for this - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...de-2009-a.html
iceman7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 13:17   #384
BHPian

Quote:
PDI charges - 2000
safety tax - 1500
RTO bribery - 4000

This is pure robbery. Shoot a mail to MSIL.
Handling charges are not to be charged as per the Supreme court directive IIRC.
Diesel charges: Rs. 1000. Are they going to drive 500 kms for regestration?
Acessories: Rs 2000. It is okay if you opted for it. If not, just refuse.
Safety tax: 1500. What is Insurance for? Is the car not insured? Why should you pay for the safety tax before you even laying your hands on the car?
RTO bribery Rs 4000. This is ridiculous! Just ask them have they ever heard about the ACB(anti corruption bureau)? If not, give them ACB's number and see the expression on their faces!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinaush View Post
Booked a Swift Vdi at Popular Automobiles, Annanagar, Chennai, and the delivery was scheduled today at 5pm. The sales person calls at 3pm and says the car met with an accident and has a dent near the fuel lid?

Detailed version:

The car is now registered in my name, But it is not yet delivered to me. I haven't even seen it. Full payment made. Damaged is quite severe near the fuel lid and bumper(as per mobile clicks shown by the showroom guys)

What should I do now? The situation is quite critical. Is this any kind of scam? Guide me folks, This is my 1st car. Hard earned and saved money, 7.10 lakhs.
This has been quite common. It is just that he was already trying to sell you a damaged car, its just that he let you know about the damage after the registration was done. It would be better to ask for a new car as the damage is done by the dealer. Just refuse to accept this car and escalate the matter further.
If he is not ready for a new car, ask for a complete refund(don't forget the accessory amount).
Or ask for some hefty discount(return money) on this car. Maybe in the range of 50,000 or more.

What is others take on this?

Keep us updated.
Old 13th December 2012, 14:29   #385
Senior - BHPian

How to verify whether the car is BSIII or BSIV compliant?
Suppose the car I want to buy comes in BSIII as well as BSIV Models. I booked BSIV Model.
How should I check if I am delivered BSIV Model and not BSIII Model?
Old 22nd December 2012, 09:39   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
I booked BSIV Model.
How should I check if I am delivered BSIV Model and not BSIII Model?
What car did you book?
Old 23rd December 2012, 15:43   #387
Senior - BHPian

I did not book any car yet. But I want to know how to visually differentiate between a BSIII Model and BSIV Model of the Same Variant of A Car.
Old 30th December 2012, 22:25   #388
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for bumping my own post.
7 days have past but no reply from experts.
Please clear my doubt.
I had asked this query since many cars come in BSIII and BSIV Versions. I don't want to get cheated by Dealer by getting BSIII version when I booked and paid for BSIV version.
Old 31st December 2012, 08:17   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Sorry for bumping my own post.
7 days have past but no reply from experts.
Please clear my doubt.
I had asked this query since many cars come in BSIII and BSIV Versions. I don't want to get cheated by Dealer by getting BSIII version when I booked and paid for BSIV version.
Although there is no badge on the car which differentiates between a BSIII & BSIV engines, the same information can be sought in the car purchase invoice or int he car manual. BS versions are the vehicle complaince to emmission standards, hence engines should not be different not will there be any exterior/interior differences.
Old 1st January 2013, 16:28   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur
Although there is no badge on the car which differentiates between a BSIII & BSIV engines, the same information can be sought in the car purchase invoice or int he car manual. BS versions are the vehicle compliance to emission standards, hence engines should not be different not will there be any exterior/interior differences.
Suppose I am billed for BSIV and if I am delivered BSIII vehicle, then what?

There is a similar example on Team-BHP where the Customer was billed for Renault Duster 110 Bhp Model and was actually delivered 85 Bhp Model. There is no exterior difference between 85 Bhp and 110 Bhp Models.

Hence my question remains unanswered-
How to differentiate between BSIII and BSIV variants visually?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks