Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2014, 22:45   #436
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I am thinking of doing the pdi on delivery date itself as it shouldn't take more than half hour. Is it wise?
If this PDI that you are going to perform will be the 'First PDI' then I guess you should have a long time for conducting the same and also a friend along to assist you and one more thing, if there is an issue found during PDI, either you correct it before delivery or reject the car and wait for the next lot.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 08:07   #437
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I am thinking of doing the pdi on delivery date itself as it shouldn't take more than half hour. Is it wise?
Would be too late - IMHO. Because by then the registration would be done in your name.
Ideal time to do the PDI is before the papers go for registration.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 14:58   #438
BHPian

Hi guys i had booked my car on 5th cause they had told the car is not in stock will take approximately 15 days to come. But the company had a delivery and have a fresh batch in stock. I did not want to take delivery till the 27th due to an inauspicious period is there anything i should make sure of and when should i ask him to register the car kindly opine.
Old 10th July 2014, 17:01   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by terra85 View Post
Hi guys i had booked my car on 5th cause they had told the car is not in stock will take approximately 15 days to come. But the company had a delivery and have a fresh batch in stock. I did not want to take delivery till the 27th due to an inauspicious period is there anything i should make sure of and when should i ask him to register the car kindly opine.
They should be able to hold the car for an extra week for you - if you have paid up in full. Have you discussed this with them?
Regarding registration - I suppose you don't have any constraints (as a matter of faith) on when it is done. It therefore can be done after you carry out the technical PDI.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 18:16   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
They should be able to hold the car for an extra week for you - if you have paid up in full. Have you discussed this with them?
Regarding registration - I suppose you don't have any constraints (as a matter of faith) on when it is done. It therefore can be done after you carry out the technical PDI.
Thanks ya have paid in full ,Yup have told them to keep the car in the stockyard itself and not put it for display on the shop floor.
Old 10th July 2014, 18:37   #441
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by terra85 View Post
Thanks ya have paid in full ,Yup have told them to keep the car in the stockyard itself and not put it for display on the shop floor.
Since you have paid the amount in full, the dealer will not cheat you and keep it in yard till you give them a green signal.

Talk to your SA and make hon understand the issue and he will cooperate with you.

Anurag.
Old 8th September 2014, 17:01   #442

Hi guys,

I decided to buy a Volkswagen Polo after a big research on various parameters, and finally booked it a couple of days ago.

However, am not all that excited after booking it owing to the way the SA behaved on and after the day of my booking. He didn't keep his word, and behaved indifferently. In short, he doesn't seem to be trustworthy.

Having said that, am really worried that he is even capable of selling me a 'display car' if not a 'demo car'. Mere VIN verification may not be helpful as the car (facelift) was launched just a couple of months ago.

I'm insisting on seeing the car right in the stockyard, but he says that their policies won't allow. But I have friends who have done the PDI right in the stockyard.

Pls help me on how to go about it. Also pls let me know if you're aware of what dealers do with the display car. Am not talking about the 'demo' car, because they may not dare to sell it as there're stickers all around and removing it will show anyway. Besides, odometer reading can't be tampered too in digital meters (hope I'm right!!!).

Looking forward to your expert opinions.

Thanks,
Old 8th September 2014, 21:09   #443
Senior - BHPian

At times I wonder what do people do when this period roles around the next year. Do they stop driving

Quote:
I did not want to take delivery till the 27th due to an inauspicious period

For starters you could have researched the dealer too. Lots of reactions to various dealerships in different cities are to be found on the forum.

If he was indifferent, you should have been the same and taken your money elsewhere.

What exactly do you mean "mere VIN"

You need a lot more research on the VIN which is essentially a vehicle's Janam Kundli. If you are so worried then get the VIN of the display car and simply match it to whatever they give you.

Further if he cannot take you to stockyard (which incidentally is all bull) you can get the VIN of the vehicle allocated to you and get the VIN decoded here on the forum and once satisfied give the dealer a go ahead for registration etc.

BTW, do hold on to the balance payment until you are completely satisfied.

Again, if it comes to a point where you have no option left, remember there is no shame in cancelling the booking and the dealer cannot "legally" deduct any money under the guise of cancellation charges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun2014 View Post
Hi guys,

I decided to buy a Volkswagen Polo after a big research on various parameters, and finally booked it a couple of days ago.

However, am not all that excited after booking it owing to the way the SA behaved on and after the day of my booking. He didn't keep his word, and behaved indifferently. In short, he doesn't seem to be trustworthy.

Having said that, am really worried that he is even capable of selling me a 'display car' if not a 'demo car'. Mere VIN verification may not be helpful as the car (facelift) was launched just a couple of months ago.

I'm insisting on seeing the car right in the stockyard, but he says that their policies won't allow. But I have friends who have done the PDI right in the stockyard.

Pls help me on how to go about it. Also pls let me know if you're aware of what dealers do with the display car. Am not talking about the 'demo' car, because they may not dare to sell it as there're stickers all around and removing it will show anyway. Besides, odometer reading can't be tampered too in digital meters (hope I'm right!!!).

Looking forward to your expert opinions.

Thanks,

Last edited by khoj : 8th September 2014 at 21:27.
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 21:50   #444

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
At times I wonder what do people do when this period roles around the next year. Do they stop driving

For starters you could have researched the dealer too. Lots of reactions to various dealerships in different cities are to be found on the forum.

If he was indifferent, you should have been the same and taken your money elsewhere.

What exactly do you mean "mere VIN"

You need a lot more research on the VIN which is essentially a vehicle's Janam Kundli. If you are so worried then get the VIN of the display car and simply match it to whatever they give you.

Further if he cannot take you to stockyard (which incidentally is all bull) you can get the VIN of the vehicle allocated to you and get the VIN decoded here on the forum and once satisfied give the dealer a go ahead for registration etc.

BTW, do hold on to the balance payment until you are completely satisfied.

Again, if it comes to a point where you have no option left, remember there is no shame in cancelling the booking and the dealer cannot "legally" deduct any money under the guise of cancellation charges.

Thank you very much Khoj. He has finally agreed to checking the car in the yard.

Yeah, I did a research, but there isn't many mention about their showroom. There's mixed reviews about their service centers though.

About cancelling: Yeah, in fact, my friend who accompanied me to the showroom while booking, was totally agitated with their behaviour and told me not to cancel the booking. I did. But on the SA's assurance again, I re-booked!!!

However, I became anxious owing to one more reason too: Two days ago, the SA initially told me that the car was in transit, and would reach in 5 - 6 days. But today he says that it has already yesterday itself. So my friend suggested me to go and check in the yard before making the final payment. But then, I guess, the SA is expecting me to complete my payment formalities before he takes me to the stockyard. Just then I came across this scary post on TBHP.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...emo-car-2.html

Frankly, more than the excitement of getting the car, the fear of the possibility of getting cheated is overwhelming :(
Old 9th September 2014, 03:31   #445
BHPian

Dear All ,

I would sincerely advice everyone to check the the audio system for any possible pairing of devices during the PDI & before full payment. This check can help us all avoid unnecessary surprises and (may be not 100%) to an extent we can be sure that the dealer is not disposing a demo car in disguise.

cheers,
pdma.
Old 9th September 2014, 13:53   #446
Senior - BHPian

Hi arun, Good to know that there is progress regarding the visit to the stock yard.
Do take the team BHP check list and your friend with you and do not let anyone from the dealership distract &/or pressurise you in any which way, including the date and time of the visit.

As for the SA expecting you to pay before the visit, well let him think what he wants to think. You be determined to not part with the balance unless and until you are totally satisfied even on the minutest detail. Hang tough, keep your wits and you will come out smiling with your new ride.

Quote:
However, I became anxious owing to one more reason too: Two days ago, the SA initially told me that the car was in transit, and would reach in 5 - 6 days. But today he says that it has already yesterday itself. So my friend suggested me to go and check in the yard before making the final payment. But then, I guess, the SA is expecting me to complete my payment formalities before he takes me to the stockyard. Just then I came across this scary post on TBHP
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 19:52   #447

Hi Khoj, thank you so much for your inputs and advice.

I visited the stockyard today. Couldn't check everything as my knowledge is very limited too. But there were two issues. One, I guess, is minor - the bonnet didn't close properly. So I checked every other car parked in the yard, and they were all fine. The SA said that it would be rectified during delivery. IS IT OK?

Second one is a major one: This is what bothering me too. The odometer didn't show any reading. In fact, the SA clearly told me before my visit that the odo would show 10-20 km, which would be as a result of the road test done at the manufacturing plant. However, the reading didn't show anything. When I asked, he said that it would be activated during PDI. I KNOW FOR SURE THAT THAT WASN'T THE ANSWER FOR MY QUESTION. But I didn't know what to say. I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE YOUR SAY ON THIS. Is this an issue?

I didn't understand this part as I'm not technically sound about cars. By the way, the SA arrived well before I did. I checked the tyres, and I could see small threads though.
Old 9th September 2014, 23:33   #448
Senior - BHPian

The bonnet being misaligned as in opening low at one end and high at the other side can be rectified easily by way of levelling grommets in the engine bay. If the misalignment is something other than the shut line at the front then do give more info.

The second one is a bit of puzzle to me. I am yet to hear of a new car with the MID showing nothing. As far as I understand the process each and every car is given some basic check ups before despatch and MID functionality is one of them. Were you able to check out the MIDs on other cars there? Were they blank too?

Since I do not own a VAG vehicle yet, I have therefore asked fellow members who are Polo owners to help with this. You can follow their responses here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3528111
Quote:
Second one is a major one: This is what bothering me too.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 23:53   #449
DWC
BHPian

Quote:

But there were two issues. One, I guess, is minor - the bonnet didn't close properly. So I checked every other car parked in the yard, and they were all fine. The SA said that it would be rectified during delivery. IS IT OK?

Second one is a major one: This is what bothering me too. The odometer didn't show any reading. In fact, the SA clearly told me before my visit that the odo would show 10-20 km, which would be as a result of the road test done at the manufacturing plant. However, the reading didn't show anything. When I asked, he said that it would be activated during PDI. I KNOW FOR SURE THAT THAT WASN'T THE ANSWER FOR MY QUESTION. But I didn't know what to say. I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE YOUR SAY ON THIS. Is this an issue?
Minor or major, an issue is an issue. When I went to check my car at the yard the speedo showed 6 km. Im pretty sure the car should have some reading on the speedo. Activating the speedo during PDI is something I have not heard of before. It should come activated from the factory.

If I were you, I would pass on this car and demand another.
DWC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 00:47   #450
BANNED

Quote:
The SA said that it would be rectified during delivery. IS IT OK?

Second one is a major one: This is what bothering me too. The odometer didn't show any reading. In fact, the SA clearly told me before my visit that the odo would show 10-20 km, which would be as a result of the road test done at the manufacturing plant. However, the reading didn't show anything. Is this an issue?
The first issue is minor and can be solved prior to delivery.

The second one is not at all accepted. The MID not reading anything could say that it could be a TD vehicle or may be a misused car that VW is teeing to palm off. To be frank the missing MID data is a indication from date to leave that car and demand a "working"one.

Seeing the horror stories around do not take any chances whatsoever. Do check other cars if the MID was working or no?!

My simple advice, back out from that deal and that car. Go ahead with the dream only if you get a proper vehicle.

Anurag.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks