Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2016, 00:41   #571
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
It is clear that he is pulling a fast one on the spare cover. To confirm the same read the specs of the model you bought as given in a sales catalogue and it will clarify the matter.
The spare wheel cover is shown as an accessory on the website. The catalogue shows the spare cover fitted on the car, but also shows it as an accessory.

ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List-sparecover.jpg

My question is, if my vehicle is a limited edition or something that came with this accessory fitted from the factory, can the dealer take it off and charge me for it?

Quote:
The mats are always included with the vehicle and all dealers try and charge for them. These are the first to be thrown in when discounts are negotiated. The mud flaps too can be negotiated. The document holder, perfume and keychain you can ask him to keep and buy from an accessories shop at a fraction of the price.
The driver floor mat is included in the boot. It's the other three mats that the dealer is selling as a package. You're right about the other stuff though. I don't it, and it is cheap online.

ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List-keychain.jpg

Quote:
While it's your money, your choice but the underbody coatings and teflon polishes are utterly useless on new vehicles.

The car's body has undergone enough processes in the paint shop to keep any rust etc at bay, in fact more than what any underbody coating can ever achieve.
While you are right about most modern cars being rust proof, my personal experience with under body coating is that is effectivley muffles the sounds from underneath the car, such as road/tyre/suspension/pebble noises. The Wuerth coating did a great silencing job on my Indigo for about three years.
Old 25th August 2016, 09:59   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I didn't really want the spare wheel cover in the first place, but doesn't removing factory fitted items and demanding additional money to keep them on seem like cheating by the dealer? If this item was indeed fitted at the factory, then it was meant to be given with this vehicle. It's even painted the same color, whereas the accessory comes in primer finish and has to be painted at cost. Is the dealer really justified in taking off a factory fitted accessory and demanding extra for it?
It's probably dealer fitted. If factory fitted, the Ford VIN lookup will clearly mention it: https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleSelection.do

Minor Features
Less Underbody Protection
Less Rear Mudflaps
Less Front Door Sill Protection
Less Spare Tyre Cover
hemant.kamat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 19:02   #573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemant.kamat View Post
It's probably dealer fitted. If factory fitted, the Ford VIN lookup will clearly mention it: https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleSelection.do
Thanks a lot, Hemant! I checked the site with my VIN, and it shows this in minor features:
  • Spare Tire Cover - Syle 3
I was glad, until I saw this:
  • With Conventional Spare Wheel
If I insisted on retaining the spare wheel cover as it came from the factory, I will probably have to take the non-alloy spare wheel it comes with. I called up the SA right now, confirmed that the Titanium variant does indeed come with alloy spare wheel, and informed him that I did not want the spare tyre cover, thank you very much. If he opens up the cover tomorrow and finds a steel wheel inside, I would not want to be in his shoes.
Old 19th September 2016, 21:26   #574
BHPian

Folks, I tried skimming through the thread, but was only able to find the checklist on the first page and a XL spreadsheet somewhere in page 20. is that the correct xl sheet ? I found it misaligned and difficult to read, may be I missed the correct attachment, could someone help ?
Old 11th October 2016, 21:45   #575
BHPian

Can someone please share the PDI checklist PDF? Seems like PDF link is not working on opening post of this thread.
Old 26th January 2017, 13:11   #576
BHPian

Hello Friends..

As I am getting ready for new car, I am going through the PDI list.

I found the PDF and excel, those are great resources. I am working on to put these lists on to a mobile app that supports check list so that it will be handy and can put tick marks against each item as I do PDI.

The features I am looking for in the app are

1. Priority will be for free app.
2. The list once prepared should be shareable.
3. ability to add sub tasks.
4. collapse the nodes/sub tasks
5. ability to add notes around the tasks

So far tried following Apps
1. Google Keep - No sub tasks and no ability to add notes in tasks, you can edit the task title itself but not great idea.
2. Wunderlist - the sub task option is in paid version I think based on the description so did not install.
3. Any.do - the interface is suitable for the task in hand although it is great app.
4. Tasks: Astrid To-Do List Clone - Did not find option to create sub-task.
5. Checklist - This is very close to what I am looking for but after adding sub tasks on their web version the site is crashing.

will keep posted on the progress. But anyone has tried something similar please share.
sanjubaba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 19:43   #577
BHPian

Hi,
Continuing from my last post, I managed to create a list in the App called Checklist.

This app allows to add notes, sub tasks etc. when you have sub tasks the main task is shown in bold.

Here is the screen shot, I would like to know your comments and usefulness or suggestions on this..

PS : The check lists created are shareable , you can install this app and can download the list that I have created,

ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List-screenshot_20170126193610.png
sanjubaba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 17:58   #578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjubaba View Post
Hi,

Continuing from my last post, I managed to create a list in the App called Checklist.

This app allows to add notes, sub tasks etc. when you have sub tasks the main task is shown in bold.

Here is the screen shot, I would like to know your comments and usefulness or suggestions on this..

PS : The check lists created are shareable , you can install this app and can download the list that I have created,

Attachment 1599916

Can you share some more details please.
- does it work with Apple iOS
- I have downloaded the checklist+ App. But I am not seeing your check list.
Let me know if you can send it by mail. Thank you
Old 20th April 2017, 20:49   #579
BHPian

Hi everyone,
I got a call a few hours ago from the SA confirming the 2017 Honda City I booked has reached the yard and I'll be going for a PDI tomorrow. Had a few questions that I thought I could ask here:
1. During inspection if we notice issues such as inconsistent panel gaps, or cuffs on tyres, abnormal smoke coming when we start the engine, what are we supposed to do?
My understanding is that we can use these parameters to determine whether to walk away from the deal. I understand that is one should do in case of abnormal smoke is emitted.
2. If there are marks on tyres that indicate damage, do we walk away or ask dealer to replace? My understanding from the forum is dealers never change factory-fitted tyres. From the customer end, I may be willing to replace it after getting the car but is there something we can negotiate with the dealer is the car is satisfactory otherwise?

3. Though many esteemed TBHP members have noticed and indeed walked away because of panel gaps, does inconsistent panel gaps result in poor insulation or any other serious problem? Will the dealer be able to fix panel alignment or gaps before delivery? I am willing to live with panel gaps as long as they are not the result of an accident or physical damage but wanted to know if panel gaps are an indicator of anything else.
In the case of 2017 City, most cars are blocked for other customers so my option to select another car in the yard is limited.
Would anyone know if VMT variant includes a spare alloy wheel? Or is the alloy wheel only for VX and ZX variants?
Looking forward to your responses to my queries. Thanks in advance.
Old 14th August 2017, 18:54   #580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Content Reactor View Post
Hi everyone,
I got a call a few hours ago from the SA confirming the 2017 Honda City I booked has reached the yard and I'll be going for a PDI tomorrow. Had a few questions that I thought I could ask here:
1. During inspection if we notice issues such as inconsistent panel gaps, or cuffs on tyres, abnormal smoke coming when we start the engine, what are we supposed to do?
My understanding is that we can use these parameters to determine whether to walk away from the deal. I understand that is one should do in case of abnormal smoke is emitted.
2. If there are marks on tyres that indicate damage, do we walk away or ask dealer to replace? My understanding from the forum is dealers never change factory-fitted tyres. From the customer end, I may be willing to replace it after getting the car but is there something we can negotiate with the dealer is the car is satisfactory otherwise?

3. Though many esteemed TBHP members have noticed and indeed walked away because of panel gaps, does inconsistent panel gaps result in poor insulation or any other serious problem? Will the dealer be able to fix panel alignment or gaps before delivery? I am willing to live with panel gaps as long as they are not the result of an accident or physical damage but wanted to know if panel gaps are an indicator of anything else.
In the case of 2017 City, most cars are blocked for other customers so my option to select another car in the yard is limited.
Would anyone know if VMT variant includes a spare alloy wheel? Or is the alloy wheel only for VX and ZX variants?
Looking forward to your responses to my queries. Thanks in advance.
Hey! how did your PDI for the City 2017 go? I'm going for mine tomorrow. Got the printout of the checklist parts 1,2,3 and 4. Although I'm excited about seeing what's going to be my car for the first time tomorrow, I'm hoping that there'll be no issues with it. Given that the GST revision for sedans is planned in coming few days, I don't want any delay because of some irregularities. Also, the dealer has been telling me there was only one car in stock (Gray color) and it is blocked for me. Will update after my inspection tomorrow

And, I guess it's too late to answer that City VMT doesn't give spare alloy.
Old 2nd September 2017, 17:19   #581
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

I had finalized with XUV 500 W10 AT, and I went for a PRI today. The very first sighting was that there were lot of water inside the car. It rained heavily today morning and it seems the window was open and thats how the water got inside. There was water on the front seats, in the front blowers, on the waterfall area of the dashboard, inside speaker grill, on the floor etc.

The moment I got this to the notice of the dealer people and asked how it could even be possible, they started cleaning it immediately.

On interogation, there response was Sir we will make sure everything is in place, we will do one more PDI etc.

My question: Is it ok to go with such a car? The car started and I did not observe any obvious issues during the short time? Actually I was pissed off and stopped doing the PRI as it was drizzling also.

or should I cancel the booking?
Is there any possibility that, they can change the alloted vehicle? I am in a fix.

Thanks in advance for your suggestion, advice and guidance.

Cheers
Rajesh
Old 3rd September 2017, 19:48   #582
BHPian

ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
Hi Everyone,
My question: Is it ok to go with such a car? The car started and I did not observe any obvious issues during the short time? Actually I was pissed off and stopped doing the PRI as it was drizzling also.

or should I cancel the booking?

Is there any possibility that, they can change the alloted vehicle? I am in a fix.

Cheers

Rajesh

I had a similar situation (door had a minor ding found during PDI). The dealer was ready to change the vehicle but I since I was ok, the dealer repaired it.
The first thing that comes to my mind with water logging is mold growth. How long was it in the rain, was it shipped so etc. Why start off with something that you can never be 99% assured. Note the VIN and get the vehicle changed.

I hope there will be no insurance complications if some water log related issue does pop up eventually.

Last edited by Czarcarsm : 3rd September 2017 at 19:50.
Czarcarsm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2017, 14:38   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcarsm View Post
I had a similar situation (door had a minor ding found during PDI). The dealer was ready to change the vehicle but I since I was ok, the dealer repaired it.
The first thing that comes to my mind with water logging is mold growth. How long was it in the rain, was it shipped so etc. Why start off with something that you can never be 99% assured. Note the VIN and get the vehicle changed.

I hope there will be no insurance complications if some water log related issue does pop up eventually.
They have agreed to change the vehicle.
DigitalDragon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 18:51   #584
BHPian

Folks, Please help me with my situation. I am planning to buy a Hyundai Verna Diesel SX(O), the dealership has the car in stock already. My biggest question is, how do I know it's not a demo car or display car? Worse case, can it be a test drive car?

They say it's available in their stockyard. They told me total Odo will be less than 50. Will I have to make the full payment before they allow me to inspect it from the stockyard? Can they say no to asking for a stockyard inspection?
Old 13th November 2017, 19:01   #585
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneeshtn View Post
Folks, Please help me with my situation. I am planning to buy a Hyundai Verna Diesel SX(O), the dealership has the car in stock already. My biggest question is, how do I know it's not a demo car or display car? Worse case, can it be a test drive car?
Honestly, I don't know if one can be sure a car hasn't been used as a display car in the showroom. About a TD car, they can roll back the odometer too.

However, a close look can give some indication if the car has been used: tyre treads, scratches on panels.

Quote:
Will I have to make the full payment before they allow me to inspect it from the stockyard? Can they say no to asking for a stockyard inspection?
Put a condition that you will release payment ONLY when you complete PDI and approve the car. If they refuse, tell them this is a deal-breaker and you'd cancel the booking.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks