Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2009, 18:56   #151
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Man, to be honest, after compiling this thread for you guys, the thread starter is himself tempted to do a lateral upgrade. Sell the OHC Vtec, put in a couple of lakhs and buy a used Civic / RS. Hmmmmmmmm....

While researching for this thread, seeing some prices on the RS & Civic made my mouth water. But then, the OHC Vtec is serving me so well. Will be a tough decision. Best to sleep on it. If I do go ahead, this will turn out to be a thread that cost me $$$
Told you this thread would turn out expensive . Vtec put up in the classifieds Linky
Old 18th December 2009, 19:09   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Told you this thread would turn out expensive . Vtec put up in the classifieds Linky
Wow GTO, that was quick. So the best vtech in the country is out for sale. Hope she finds a good home.
Is it going to be a used Civic? do you already have one in mind? All the best with the quest.
Old 18th December 2009, 20:36   #153
BHPian

GTO what about Opel Vectra?
Old 18th December 2009, 20:47   #154
BHPian

Quote:
*Update* : A true petrolhead car - The Forester - has been added to the list.
ahh, man , how can anybody forget that ?
thanx for addinf that stuff to the list .
its an IMPREZA on steroids!! lacks a bit of power ( 2.5 X should have been nicer ) but the handling , seating position and dynamics are world apart!
reliability is top of the roof ! i have taken that vehicle twice for raid the himalaya in ADV . catagory, driven approx. 6000kms in that hilly tarrain and after such a harsh treatment to the car as well as the engine(operated in low oxy atmosphere) what she has asked for , is just change of suspention rubber bushes!!! nothing more than that ..
truly truly impressive !!! if any one is getting that < 6 laks , pls pls . go n buy it , dont hesitate even for a moment
Old 19th December 2009, 08:44   #155
BHPian

Awesome compilation GTO .Really appreciate the time and hard work you have put into making this thread.And it has got what it deserves.5 stars.

One question though.Which would be a better buy in todays world.A(2003-2004) OHC Vtec or a(2003-2004) Mitsubishi Lancer?
Old 19th December 2009, 09:37   #156
BHPian

Great thread GTO,Make's for a great read too.
Old 19th December 2009, 10:17   #157
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
Hope she finds a good home.
Thanks, I hope so too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
Too rare, long-term reliability suspect, I'd rank the Forester over the Vectra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroa4 View Post
its an IMPREZA on steroids!! lacks a bit of power ( 2.5 X should have been nicer ) but the handling , seating position and dynamics are world apart!
reliability is top of the roof ! i have taken that vehicle twice for raid the himalaya in ADV .
I hear you. It is an impressive machine indeed. Excellent road manners and bullet proof reliability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
One question though.Which would be a better buy in todays world.A(2003-2004) OHC Vtec or a(2003-2004) Mitsubishi Lancer?
Either are great buys, though late model Lancers were localised by HM and the build quality suffered. 2000 - 2002 Lancers have the best build. The OHC gives you a maniac of an engine, a great steering and slick gearbox. The Lancer gives you a better driving position and superior dynamics (especially over 100 kph).
Old 19th December 2009, 10:44   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
No offense meant but I have rarely seen one on the roads. Was it a success at all by any chance ?
Old 19th December 2009, 11:02   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
No offense meant but I have rarely seen one on the roads. Was it a success at all by any chance ?

Though superb car's, Not only the OPEL VECTRA, but even FORD MONDEO both these cars were too early at that time for Indian market. they at all were not success cause both GM & FORD launched it without any service and spares support or planning. also cars were hardly tested for so called Indian driving conditions, so it was calling for lots of trouble.
And to own an maintain cars like Vectra & Mondeo at this period of time, you need to have a lot of money and patience.
So that is why i think these cars will seldom find any place in the said used car list, what say??
Old 19th December 2009, 11:10   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Will have the Esteem added. While I don't think too much of the Esteem in stock form, it's a great project vehicle. Hey, I owned an Esteem for 10 years so know a li'l about the car.
I'd be the first one to say the Esteem doesn't belong in this thread in stock avatar.
Maruti messed it up by removing one critical suzuki component - Anti Roll Bar.
But, it is the closest you get to a formula car on the streets with the bolt-on mods.
Old 19th December 2009, 11:12   #161
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesh_evo75 View Post
Though superb car's, Not only the OPEL VECTRA, but even FORD MONDEO both these cars were too early at that time for Indian market. they at all were not success cause both GM & FORD launched it without any service and spares support or planning. also cars were hardly tested for so called Indian driving conditions, so it was calling for lots of trouble.
And to own an maintain cars like Vectra & Mondeo at this period of time, you need to have a lot of money and patience.
So that is why i think these cars will seldom find any place in the said used car list, what say??
Ganesh,

You just took the words straight out of my.. er, post!

Absolutely spot on there my friend!

The Vectra, just like the Mondeo, bombed badly on Indian soil. The Vectra was launched in India way ahead of its time. The sort of features that it came with were completely alien to many and could be found only on Bimmers and Mercs back then.

Quote:
I'd be the first one to say the Esteem doesn't belong in this thread in stock avatar.
Maruti messed it up by removing one critical suzuki component - Anti Roll Bar.
But, it is the closest you get to a formula car on the streets with the bolt-on mods.
The Esteem can be turned into an absolute belter if modded right.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 19th December 2009 at 11:16.
Old 19th December 2009, 11:23   #162
Senior - BHPian

Atleast the Ford was awesome to drive. The only time I drove the vectra, I felt like I was driving a truck. It has the most wooden and useless chassis ever in a premium car - understeers all the time.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2009, 13:20   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Either are great buys, though late model Lancers were localised by HM and the build quality suffered. 2000 - 2002 Lancers have the best build. The OHC gives you a maniac of an engine, a great steering and slick gearbox. The Lancer gives you a better driving position and superior dynamics (especially over 100 kph).
Yes thats true.I need to buy a car next year as i would be entering college.My budget would be around 5 to 6 lakhs.But i am planning to go for a used lancer or an OHC Vtec.To be honest i love the lancer and after seeing the work done by autopsyche on many lancers i just cant get this car out of my head.But as you said after the localisation began, the quality dropped drastically and only lancers before 2002 were better made.BUT!! is it advisable to buy a car 8 or 10 years old? and also was the quality drop so drastic that parts just fall of?Or should i remove the thought of owning a lancer and be on the look out for an OHC Vtec??
Old 19th December 2009, 14:21   #164
Senior - BHPian

GTO, how can you miss Tata Safari ?

I always tempt to buy a used Safari, its a good buy i suppose. For around 2-5 lacs you can get a really good one. What say?
Old 19th December 2009, 16:24   #165
BHPian

Don't think the Safari falls under the Enthusiast cars categories. Not the older ones definitely.

Most Viewed