Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2012, 17:37   #361
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

I'm planning to sell my Hyundai Accent and upgrade to another used car. My options are Ford Fiesta 1.6, Cedia or a Civic. I already have an OHC Vtec so the driving pleasure is very important to me. Which one do you all think makes the more sense based on driving pleasures. Also I'll like to have the safety features like ABS and airbags in the vehicle and I'm not sure which all Fiesta's have it .
As far as I've seen Mumbai market I can get Fiesta 1.6 at 3-3.5 lakhs, Civic at around 4.5-5 Lakhs and Cedia at 3.5-4 Lakhs. The FE looks to be 9 for Civic and Cedia and 10 for Fiesta. By the way my OHC Vtec always gives more than 12 in city driving with 70% AC usage, so I think the FE figures can also move up for all these by 1 kmpl. All these 3 score almost equal in reliability, hence this big confusion going on in my mind. Need help of experts in finding out which one is best for me. The car is 90% times used in city commute.
Old 12th April 2012, 14:12   #362
BHPian

Octavia RS 1.8 Turbo/1.9 TDi Vs Accord 2.4 MT Vs Merc E-220 (W124) Vs CR-V 2.4 MT

Been following the forums silently for a long, long time and it's now time for me to buy my first car!

After reading GTO Sir's articles on lateral upgrades and new vs used cars, have decided to go for used.

Have shortlisted my choice of cars down to the following 5. Am listing down what I feel are the pros and cons of each of these. Please Note that I have myself driven only Octavia 1.9 TDi, Accord 2.4 MT and CR-V 2.4 MT. Havent driven the other two.

1. Octavia 1.9 TDi MT (2004-2006) - 5.5 Lakhs
Pros - mileage
Cons - High Price (relatively), maintenance horrors, Diesel Engine

2. Octavia 1.8 Turbo MT (2004-2006) - 5 Lakhs
Pros: Great Petrol Engine, Lower Price
Cons: Low Mileage, Maintenance

3. Accord 2.4 MT(2004-2006 models) - 5.5-7 Lakhs
Pros: Space, Honda support, More upscale features.
Cons: Low Mileage, High Maintenance Costs?

4. C-RV 2.4 MT (2004-2006 models) - 5.5-7 Lakhs
Pros: Personally love the driving stance, more respect on roads (not that I'm a bully, but I detest the few treacherous autowallahs and bikers)

5. Merc E-220 MT (1996 Model) - W 124 Engine - 5 Lakhs
Pros: Space, Terrific Engine, Merc
Cons: Old Model, Availability of Spares, High Maintenance Costs

Myself:
Am 6'4" tall, so space is very important. Absolutely need to be comfortable in both city and highway driving. Next is performance. Last, but not least, overall ownership costs (including Cost of Vehicle + Maintenance + Fuel Costs).

My Questions to the Gurus:

1. How much mileage can I realistically expect from the Accord, CRV and Merc? Too many figures floating around the forums.
2. How high will the maintenance and spare parts costs be for each of the cars - avg. service center visit costs? Service Intervals?
3. Which car would you suggest and why?

Sorry for the long post! Thanks in advance!

Last edited by pavanmadhini : 12th April 2012 at 14:37.
Old 12th April 2012, 16:01   #363
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Octavia RS 1.8 Turbo/1.9 TDi Vs Accord 2.4 MT Vs Merc E-220 (W124) Vs CR-V 2.4 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanmadhini View Post
Am 6'4" tall, so space is very important.
Eliminates the Octavia.

Quote:
1. How much mileage can I realistically expect from the Accord, CRV and Merc? Too many figures floating around the forums.
6 - 7 kpl.

Quote:
2. How high will the maintenance and spare parts costs be for each of the cars - avg. service center visit costs? Service Intervals?
Information is well covered on the forum. Please spend some time searching & researching.

Quote:
Which car would you suggest and why?
I'd pick the W124 for 2 lakhs, spend another 3 lakhs in completely doing up the mechanicals. Remember, it is a simple, solidly engineered car. Once you replace the rubbers, overhaul the suspension / clutch / brakes, and change the wiring harness, you probably won't have to revisit those areas for 10 years.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 17:00   #364
BHPian

Re: Octavia RS 1.8 Turbo/1.9 TDi Vs Accord 2.4 MT Vs Merc E-220 (W124) Vs CR-V 2.4 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I'd pick the W124 for 2 lakhs, spend another 3 lakhs in completely doing up the mechanicals. Remember, it is a simple, solidly engineered car. Once you replace the rubbers, overhaul the suspension / clutch / brakes, and change the wiring harness, you probably won't have to revisit those areas for 10 years.
I would agree with GTO here, I bought a W124 e220 on Sunday for a decent price in Mumbai. Even though its in great condition, I'll be spending a substantial amount to get it to perfect shape ( rubbers, oils, minor squeaks, service, ICE, some missing interior lights).
Ownership report would be up soon.

Spending 5 lakhs in total is fine but buy a car for much less and then spend on refurbishing it.
i carried a printout of Gogi sir's post in the thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2162526) while checking cars. I checked no less than 50 W124s in the past two years.

Economy of 6kmpl for petrol is low, but then you save a lot in the purchase price as well.
Diesels : My experience says that its difficult to find one which is less abused.
Old 13th April 2012, 22:26   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post

Economy of 6kmpl for petrol is low, but then you save a lot in the purchase price as well.
SIX?! I beg to disagree, I get 7.5 in a really bad month (because I fuel up once a month, tank full to tank full) and 8 or 8.5 usually, this is in Delhi traffic with the AC always on. And the car is almost always driven enthusiastically.
Old 23rd April 2012, 12:45   #366
BHPian

Quote:

After reading GTO Sir's articles on lateral upgrades and new vs used cars, have decided to go for used.
Good move. GTO's article is fantastic.

Quote:

1. Octavia 1.9 TDi MT (2004-2006) - 5.5 Lakhs
Pros - mileage
Cons - High Price (relatively), maintenance horrors, Diesel Engine

2. Octavia 1.8 Turbo MT (2004-2006) - 5 Lakhs
Pros: Great Petrol Engine, Lower Price
Cons: Low Mileage, Maintenance

3. Accord 2.4 MT(2004-2006 models) - 5.5-7 Lakhs
Pros: Space, Honda support, More upscale features.

4. C-RV 2.4 MT (2004-2006 models) - 5.5-7 Lakhs
Pros: Personally love the driving stance, more respect on roads (not that I'm a bully, but I detest the few treacherous autowallahs and bikers)

5. Merc E-220 MT (1996 Model) - W 124 Engine - 5 Lakhs
Pros: Space, Terrific Engine, Merc
Cons: Old Model, Availability of Spares, High Maintenance Costs
You haven't stated the most crucial element that will let us help you judge which of these is a good buy: the mileage each of them has covered so far. An Octavia that's run 40,000 km is a lot better than one that's run 140,000 km. Also, why have you stated that the Octavia's diesel engine as a negative? Most diesel mills today are far better in terms of economy, driveability, and overall fun than their petrol counterparts. A wonderful example of this is the Swift diesel engine.

Quote:

Myself:
Am 6'4" tall, so space is very important. Absolutely need to be comfortable in both city and highway driving. Next is performance. Last, but not least, overall ownership costs (including Cost of Vehicle + Maintenance + Fuel Costs).
What you should also describe is how many kilometers you're covering in a month. That will help determine whether diesel or petrol is the right fuel for you (unless money isn't a problem).

Quote:
My Questions to the Gurus:
Accord 2.5 MT: 8kpl in a mixed driving cycle
CRV: 6kpl in a mixed driving cycle
Merc W124: 5-6 kpl in a mixed driving cycle. Less if the car's got mechanical issues.

Quote:

You can rule out taking the W124 to an authorized service center - I don't think many Merc service centers would still be servicing such an old model, but I could be wrong. Generally the Honda would have the lowest maintenance hassles, but again, that's a generalization.

Quote:
3. Which car would you suggest and why?
The Accord 2.4MT and here's why:

1. You're too tall for the Octavia. Space is also minimal in the back seat so even if you're driving, the guy sitting behind you is always going to have a hard time. You also seem to not prefer diesel engines.

2. I've never been a fan of a CRV. I just don't see the point of having a massive soft roader that's absolutely useless off road and still forces you to compromise on overall ride, handling and fuel economy.

3. The W124's a good car and a great drive, but it's just too old now. Your maintenance costs will always be high and there will always be niggles. Also, remember that you spend all your time INSIDE the car, not outside it. What's the point of having a three-pointed star on the steering wheel when a modern car from a much lower segment provides a better ownership experience in terms of kit, ride, performance and handling?

4. The Accord is a great car. It's comfortable, still looks fairly fresh, and is virtually bullet-proof in terms of maintenance and reliability. It's got good performance and won't break the bank in terms of the fuel consumption. I've got two friends who own this model and they get between 8-9 kpl in mixed city cycles.

Whatever car you pick, please have it thoroughly checked out by your own mechanic first.

Last edited by ghostrider : 23rd April 2012 at 12:48.
ghostrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 13:31   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post

You haven't stated the most crucial element that will let us help you judge which of these is a good buy: the mileage each of them has covered so far. An Octavia that's run 40,000 km is a lot better than one that's run 140,000 km.

Also, why have you stated that the Octavia's diesel engine as a negative? Most diesel mills today are far better in terms of economy, driveability, and overall fun than their petrol counterparts. A wonderful example of this is the Swift diesel engine.

What you should also describe is how many kilometers you're covering in a month. That will help determine whether diesel or petrol is the right fuel for you (unless money isn't a problem).

Whatever car you pick, please have it thoroughly checked out by your own mechanic first.

Both the Octavias were around the 65k mark. The Accord stood at 35k, the Merc at 110k and the CRV at 95k.

Drove both diesel and petrol octavia's and I found the petrol ones to be smoother.

Monthly driving: 500-600 kms. Apart from this, a couple of long trips annually.

Am leaning heavily towards the Accord 2.4 MT. In the process of getting the car checked properly before confirming.
Old 24th April 2012, 13:59   #368
BANNED

The best car for an enthusiast to buy used these days is a Fiesta S. You could then go about re-mapping and upping the bhp quotient and end up with a great revving, powerful, superb handling and safe sports car without compromising on boot space, rear seat comfort (for the occasional passenger ) and a good fuel economy of around 10 -11.
It is also supported by good After sales service unlike many models mentioned here. In the event of a collision or other damage, outdated cars can be very heavy on the pocket but current / recent models wont.
Also, many mod kits are availble for cars like the Fiesta S in the local markets and the South East ( Thailand etc) are flooded with Fiesta mod parts.
Old 11th May 2012, 00:35   #369

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
You read my mind . Accent Tornado is really fun to drive but not very common in market.

@GTO, consider Hyundai 1.6 DOHC version too.
I second that! Also, Accent Viva was a no nonsense very practical car to use in the city. Can't go wrong with either.
Old 12th May 2012, 18:34   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Both the Octavias were around the 65k mark. The Accord stood at 35k, the Merc at 110k and the CRV at 95k.
Its possible you are visiting a dealer who has clocked back the odo - 35k and 65k are firm favorites with used dealers, at least per my experience.
Old 13th May 2012, 22:28   #371
BHPian

Hi GTO, would you suggest if this list needs updating? Like if there are any new cars that can be added on this list? I will be looking to buy a car so would need your advice.
Old 17th May 2012, 15:11   #372
NeO

Hi gurus,

After using my octy for 1 year & 3 months i sold her off today, she served me extremely well, having bought her in spite of Skoda horror stories. My heart was set on her, the thing is now i am flushed with a little money to spend on a new set of wheel. Budget around 4l (all inclusive, so ideally would like to get my hand on a set of wheels for around 3.5l & spend little on ICE).

I am looking for a diesel, monthly usage is 1k with occasional trip to pune/lonavala. Which car would you suggest? Fuel economy & low cost of maintenance are of paramount importance also safety.

Can i get a civic & install CNG, would it affect the performance/maintenance.

Mod team note: Please use proper Punctuation's which helps with readability of the post. Thanks

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th May 2012 at 15:21. Reason: Please use proper Punctuation's which helps with readability of the post. Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 22:17   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekmakeslove View Post
Hi gurus,

After using my octy for 1 year & 3 months i sold her off today, she served me extremely well, having bought her in spite of Skoda horror stories. My heart was set on her, the thing is now i am flushed with a little money to spend on a new set of wheel. Budget around 4l (all inclusive, so ideally would like to get my hand on a set of wheels for around 3.5l & spend little on ICE).

I am looking for a diesel, monthly usage is 1k with occasional trip to pune/lonavala. Which car would you suggest? Fuel economy & low cost of maintenance are of paramount importance also safety.

Can i get a civic & install CNG, would it affect the performance/maintenance.

Mod team note: Please use proper Punctuation's which helps with readability of the post. Thanks
yes 06 civics are dropping to 4 lacs now.but you wont get decent car.i would suggest to consider corolla for that budget and corolla is more responsive at low rpms than civic.thats good if you are considering cng option.
procircuit_234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 22:18   #374
BHPian

can anybody please explain why esteem is not covered in this thread?
Old 24th June 2012, 00:39   #375
BHPian

A pre-owned sporty, petrolhead's dream for 4L

Hey everyone,

I'm looking at buying a car for my regular commute to office and back - and the following factors have gone into my decision for a used petrol car:

0) Budget - around 4 lacs. The lesser the better. This, while being a very fun car, is going to compliment the W124. Needs to be not-too-expensive!

1) I'm a petrolhead. I need something sporty, free revving and fun to drive. What comes to mind is the league of 1.6 hatchbacks, ford fiestas, cedias, civics and the like

2) My low usage of this car would justify the petrol prices - 600 km/month. More importantly, the rise in petrol prices would have killed the used petrol car market by now - especially for these performance cars, which are mostly market duds and known for high fuel consumption. So the low cost of purchase is the driving factor!

Based on these factors, I've decided to go for a Fiesta (2009-2010 model), 1.6 petrol, or a VW Polo 1.6. One contender could be the Honda Jazz, but practical as it is, it just doesn't match up in power or handling. Civic - already in the family. Anything bigger - given up due to maintenance worries. As I said, this needs to be a regular use car. Cedia - same issues.

Questions:

Is it possible to get clean, well maintained examples of these specific car-engine-variant combinations for 3.5-4L? Also, do these 2 cars meet my factors above, or are there any others I should consider?

I've come across the following examples:

1) VW Polo Highline 1.6, 12000 KM, 2010, DL registered. With a dealer though, listed for 4.5L. I believe this car should go for around 4L or maybe even lesser considering the market - even though it's for ~7L new. Correct?

There is another 2010 Polo 1.6, but it has run 20000 KM. Listed for 4.4L. How much can I bargain here?

2) An individual's listing - Fiesta 2010 SXi ABS, 7L when new, done only 24000 kms with service history available. Listed for 5.5L, but considering that the few Ford petrols that still exist in the city are lying at dealers with no buyers, this price seems ridiculous. I believe it should go for about 4L - Need your inputs here

3) This goes against everything I've said upto now in this post, but here goes (sometimes the practicality light goes on) - Figo diesel titanium, 2010, 30k kms - 4.7L? Too high I think, but with the resale on diesel cars, you never know. Tempting, but at some point my heart wants me to ignore this one and look at the 1.6's...

Please help, and sorry for the loo-oong post. I am very confused!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks