Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2014, 23:54   #601
BHPian

Used Car - 7-9 lac budget

Would be glad for some advice..

1. My daily commute has reduced to 20km, with the sea-link thrown in.

2. My current drive is an old Accord AT. The AT was a life saver when my commute was 75 km daily.

3. Most of my usage is within town, with 4 or 5 200/300 km outstation trips trhown in (maximum)

4. Have an itch for a powerful D-segment car, was waiting for Octy TSI but opted out looking at the DSG woes. Now, have decided to go the 'used' way. The purchase would be in cash. I would also mod it along the way.

5. Don't want to go below 2010 models. I also have good experience now in maintaining an older vehicle and know what to look for and expect.

6. had Narrowed it down to Laura TSI.

7. The issue now: I'm finding it tough to find TSIs. There might be a closure of a 2011 TSI - 26K done, but it was the batch with the updated engine and no fog lamps/other features. I should be able to get this for 7.8.

8. I'm very used to power seats, ACC, folding mirrors etc in the Accord. Not sure if I'll find this Laura TSI too poverty-spec.

9. I am finding some 2011 L&K TDI ATs, which if all works out in terms of checks, I think I can pick up for 8.5/9. This DSG is far more reliable than the petrol I'm told. I LOVE the features - it would feel like a proper upgrade from the Accord.

The dilemma: So, is the TDI AT that much unexciting to drive over the TSI? If the performance differences post remap are marginal, I'd rather buy the diesel..do the gizmos hold up well for say, 6-7 years...?

Last edited by d_himan : 23rd February 2014 at 23:56.
Old 24th February 2014, 11:54   #602
BHPian

Re: Used Car - 7-9 lac budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post

2. My current drive is an old Accord AT. The AT was a life saver when my commute was 75 km daily.

3. Most of my usage is within town, with 4 or 5 200/300 km outstation trips trhown in (maximum)

4. Have an itch for a powerful D-segment car, was waiting for Octy TSI but opted out looking at the DSG woes. Now, have decided to go the 'used' way. The purchase would be in cash. I would also mod it along the way.

5. Don't want to go below 2010 models. I also have good experience now in maintaining an older vehicle and know what to look for and expect.

7. The issue now: I'm finding it tough to find TSIs. There might be a closure of a 2011 TSI - 26K done, but it was the batch with the updated engine and no fog lamps/other features. I should be able to get this for 7.8.

8. I'm very used to power seats, ACC, folding mirrors etc in the Accord. Not sure if I'll find this Laura TSI too poverty-spec.

9. I am finding some 2011 L&K TDI ATs, which if all works out in terms of checks, I think I can pick up for 8.5/9. This DSG is far more reliable than the petrol I'm told. I LOVE the features - it would feel like a proper upgrade from the Accord.

The dilemma: So, is the TDI AT that much unexciting to drive over the TSI? If the performance differences post remap are marginal, I'd rather buy the diesel..do the gizmos hold up well for say, 6-7 years...?
My office has a Laura TSI Manual. It gave huge bills for clutch (70k) and steering(50k) issues. Regular expenses are pretty huge.
Please check in detail from fellow owners before going ahead.
vikramvicky1984 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 12:21   #603
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

I myself used to think that going from a car with a whole bunch of features to something a little more spartan might be a pain but honestly, after you think about it and realize that half of them really don't matter so much, you start liking other cars more. I only have to use the powered seats if I give my car to the valet and he brings it back in the wrong setting and even then it is only the memory setting that is a boon otherwise I don't think it is that hard to adjust the seat whether it is manual or automatic. ACC is another feature that is just nice to have for me and not a must have. Power Folding mirrors, well we live in the 21st century and such simple tech can easily be added to your car by any reputable auto accessories shop.

Coming to your dilemma:

Yes the tsi mill is anyday better to drive but unless you are a hardcore enthusiast, the 2.0l tdi plus dsg combo shouldn't disappoint either.

No not a single l&k of the few that I have seen have fared well in this department (all maintained really well mind you) The electronics just keep failing after a certain period of time.

Now if you want to do any serious modifications, a petrol motor is always the right choice unless you will be limiting yourself to a few select stage 1 modifications (can't have a loud exhaust or intake on a diesel unless you want dirty looks from people ) and a remap.

Cheers!

Last edited by IshaanIan : 24th February 2014 at 12:23.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 18:09   #604
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

As a Laura TSI owner, I can tell you its a great car for any enthusiast. Its fast, handles really well, and the manual gear box is a joy to use. As per my experience its pretty reliable and service and maintenance costs are slightly higher than Japanese counterparts. It kind of evens out when you take into consideration that serivice interval is one year/ 15k kms. The biggest thing going for the Laura TSI is the fact that it has great mod potential. Being a turbo charged petrol, you've got exhausts, blow off valves, remaps, after market suspensions, bigger turbos, and the works. And most of these are tried and tested high quality stuff.

Its a bit low on fancy features. But I assure you won't miss them once you get behind the wheel. The core car values of the Laura TSI will completely take over! Safety wise you've two airbags, EBD, TCS and ABS. The multi link stock suspension and disc brakes all round are pretty capable. Rear seats are good for two pax. Central tunnel is big and the rear AC vent will make the fifth passenger very uncomfortable. Huuuuuuge boot is very practical and usable.

But there is one rider, and that is this car is not slow speed friendly. It needs a lot of clutch input at crawling speeds and if the previous owner has been too lazy to shift to first gear at crawling speed and has liberally slipped the clutch in second, the clutch might need attention. THe engine is so quiet that the driver hardly gets any audible input regarding the engine rpm and ends up stalling the car!! I generally don't prefer to drive this car in the city and prefer my i10 AT for city duty. But when it comes to highway driving, I can't wait to pick up the keys of my Laura TSI.

If your running is within city mostly, my advice to you is to think twice before you go for this car or any MT car for that matter since you are coming from an AT. But as an enthusiasts' car the Laura TSI delivers a lot of bang for your buck.

THe TDI + DSG combo is great too. Its fast, convenient and efficient at the same time. More number of gizmos means more things that can go wrong. And Skoda is not exactly known for its after sales service. The Laura F/L LnK lost the sunroof. Of the rest of the features, I've not heard of lot failures as such. So it may not be a bad idea to pick up one if you are getting a good deal.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 25th February 2014 at 18:12.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2014, 00:18   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
My office has a Laura TSI Manual. It gave huge bills for clutch (70k) and steering(50k) issues. Regular expenses are pretty huge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Yes the tsi mill is anyday better to drive but unless you are a hardcore enthusiast, the 2.0l tdi plus dsg combo shouldn't disappoint either.
No not a single l&k of the few that I have seen have fared well in this department (all maintained really well mind you) The electronics just keep failing after a certain period of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
But there is one rider, and that is this car is not slow speed friendly. It needs a lot of clutch input at crawling speeds and if the previous owner has been too lazy to shift to first gear at crawling speed and has liberally slipped the clutch in second, the clutch might need attention.

If your running is within city mostly, my advice to you is to think twice before you go for this car or any MT car for that matter since you are coming from an AT. But as an enthusiasts' car the Laura TSI delivers a lot of bang for your buck.

The Laura F/L LnK lost the sunroof. Of the rest of the features, I've not heard of lot failures as such. So it may not be a bad idea to pick up one if you are getting a good deal.
Thanks guys, very very valuable inputs. There is also a TSI for sale in our classifieds which I'm testing out.

In the end, I think I'll drive both the DSG LnK and TSI and see which one makes me happier! 95% of the usage is within the city for the TSI and the slow speed friendliness comment is making me slighty wary.
Old 1st March 2014, 05:27   #606
BANNED

Quote:

Thanks guys, very very valuable inputs. There is also a TSI for sale in our classifieds which I'm testing out.

In the end, I think I'll drive both the DSG LnK and TSI and see which one makes me happier! 95% of the usage is within the city for the TSI and the slow speed friendliness comment is making me slighty wary.
Be careful and cautious. Seeing experiences about cars from Skoda makes me a bit tensed to buy them.

Hope you have a happy and peaceful ownership with last visits to the ASC. As you are trying the car from our classifieds the I guess pro kebabs if faced would be clear so that you can decide.

Anurag.
Old 1st March 2014, 08:44   #607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Be careful and cautious. Seeing experiences about cars from Skoda makes me a bit tensed to buy them.
Anurag.
Yes Anurag, the only reason why I'm contemplating Skoda is because it'll never visit an ASS. I have a BHPian Jatin (Wagenwerkz), who lives near my place, who'll look after her.
Old 13th March 2014, 20:50   #608
BHPian

Quote:
But there is one rider, and that is this car is not slow speed friendly. It needs a lot of clutch input at crawling speeds
If your running is within city mostly, my advice to you is to think twice before you go for this car or any MT car for that matter since you are coming from an AT.
Oh man Santosh, you hit the nail on the head.

After testing I've realized now the power of technology and how spoilt one can become…

Just like I can't go back to a non-smartphone, I don't think I can go back to manual transmissions. I loved the engine. But I got caught in a traffic jam on a upward incline. I cursed and fretted.

The pleasure of the engine, the mod potential etc. versus the practical convenience of an Auto to me in a city like Bombay…I'm beginning to get far more inclined towards the latter

So, I'm now looking at 2011-12 DSG Diesels to see if they are a good compromise. I drove the new Octavia 2.0 DSG and it was good, but definitely not as punchy as the petrol.
Old 14th March 2014, 09:32   #609
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Oh man Santosh, you hit the nail on the head.

After testing I've realized now the power of technology and how spoilt one can become…

Just like I can't go back to a non-smartphone, I don't think I can go back to manual transmissions. I loved the engine. But I got caught in a traffic jam on a upward incline. I cursed and fretted.

The pleasure of the engine, the mod potential etc. versus the practical convenience of an Auto to me in a city like Bombay…I'm beginning to get far more inclined towards the latter

So, I'm now looking at 2011-12 DSG Diesels to see if they are a good compromise. I drove the new Octavia 2.0 DSG and it was good, but definitely not as punchy as the petrol.
Yes after driving an AT car its not easy going back to an MT, esp for city drives. I have an i10 AT which I use very often for my city needs. I hardly take out the Laura in the city and use it almost exclusively for highway drives. But sometimes when I do take her out in the city I start missing the AT immediately.

On a similar note on the highway I find AT cars extremely boring to drive. Maybe the newer and premium AT cars are better, but the i10 AT puts me to sleep on any half decent open road.
Old 14th March 2014, 10:15   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Yes after driving an AT car its not easy going back to an MT, esp for city drives. I have an i10 AT which I use very often for my city needs. I hardly take out the Laura in the city and use it almost exclusively for highway drives. But sometimes when I do take her out in the city I start missing the AT immediately.

On a similar note on the highway I find AT cars extremely boring to drive. Maybe the newer and premium AT cars are better, but the i10 AT puts me to sleep on any half decent open road.
My wife drives an i10 AT too, and I agree, it's extremely boring but well-built. In fact, it has never seen a highway! Feels too much like an appliance...

The Accord AT is effortless and soothing in the city or on the highway. Love it. In fact, mine is the 2002 model pre-historic 4 speed AT and despite this, it's very involving to drive. Except for speeds deep into 3 digits, I never felt the need for a 5th gear, the engine is so refined, relaxed, punchy and eager to rev. The ride is to die for and the steering feedback is so pure. So, I'll keep my beauty for a while more until I'm happy with what I find..
Old 14th March 2014, 11:45   #611
Senior - BHPian

Still haven't come to a decision? Perhaps you need a little more in the mix to keep you interested? How about the old Jetta? Can pick up a highline 2.0liter tdi for pretty cheap. While it might just be the same as the Laura, I can swear that it felt just a little more crisp and less noisy inside plus it's the old one which never sold because of its high price which meant there was no compromise on features even heated seats and stuff like that.
Just thought I'd throw that in the mix too. It's cheap, rare and exclusive, has more features ergo to me, feels a little more desirable. Sort off adds on to the x-factor that the Laura possesses
Old 14th March 2014, 12:22   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Still haven't come to a decision? Perhaps you need a little more in the mix to keep you interested? How about the old Jetta? Can pick up a highline 2.0liter tdi for pretty cheap. While it might just be the same as the Laura, I can swear that it felt just a little more crisp and less noisy inside plus it's the old one which never sold because of its high price which meant there was no compromise on features even heated seats and stuff like that.
Just thought I'd throw that in the mix too. It's cheap, rare and exclusive, has more features ergo to me, feels a little more desirable. Sort off adds on to the x-factor that the Laura possesses
Hey Ishan, I'm finding a lot of 1.9 PD DSG Jettas. Not a fan of that engine. Also, don't the 2.0 CR engines in the 2010-2011 Jettas have a lowered tune of 110 bhp/250 NM, CR110s instead of the CR140s in the Skodas? Moving down to 110 bhp from my current 145+ seems like a step down...
Old 14th March 2014, 12:50   #613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Ishan, I'm finding a lot of 1.9 PD DSG Jettas. Not a fan of that engine. Also, don't the 2.0 CR engines in the 2010-2011 Jettas have a lowered tune of 110 bhp/250 NM, CR110s instead of the CR140s in the Skodas? Moving down to 110 bhp from my current 145+ seems like a step down...
Never go by pure figures please, the engine is still really tractable. That said, aren't both of the engines mechanically similar? A simple remap would have you putting out better figures
Old 14th March 2014, 14:12   #614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have you considered a used Passat?? If numbers is what you seek then you will have similar power figures to a Laura in a pre 2012 model and + it is well spec'd too. The older Passat was a better handling car than the previous Jetta and that speaks volumes of its capabilities. All this at 9-10L thereabouts. BTW with low running you may want to look at CRVs or Outlanders as well. Sorry if I further confused you
Old 14th March 2014, 21:34   #615
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The 2.0 tdi cr Jetta was never offered with a DSG. It was 110bhp and manual only. The DSGs were all 1.9PDs with 105bhp.

Also is your car 145+ bhp? The 7th gen Accord had the 2.4l which was 142bhp odd, and the 6th gen (i.e yours) had the 2.3l engine which was less than that. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks