Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2014, 09:50   #646
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Thanks for the advice guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
My two cents...

1. If you want a safe, sensible car, pick the Corolla. Nice low end torque which is critical in Bombay. While it may not make you feel as special as a Civic, frankly, I think it's more practical than the Civic- far better boot space, better GC given the state of B'bay roads, easy ingress and egress. I don't think you'll want to do mild mods like CAI, FFE, better spark plugs blah blah on NA petrols. IMHO too much 'natak' for too little gains plus a lack of refinement. Plus serious mods like strapping on a turbo demand too much time and money.

2. Alternately, try getting a Fiesta 1.6 versions with airbags. Real cheap in the used market plus the sweet handling and steering would put a smile. And just the right size for the city.

3. Mod potential = turbo petrols or diesels. Period.

4. If you can up your budget to 6, you can find good Laura TSIs of the 2010 vintage. Ticks all boxes and given the lack of gizmos, relatively more reliable. Option 2, pick up a Vento Highline TDI 2010 for 5/5.5.
I finally settled on the Corolla - H5 1.8E - November 2005 with about 70k KMs on it. Booked it from Broker Dalal. Will put up a post in the ownership forum once I take delivery with a full review et all.

The deciding factor ended up being the fact that I was getting a very nicely kitted out car for 2.8L that's reliable, in very decent nick as well as that's at least decent fun to drive. + Darshan from Broker Dalal is really good at his job. Lol.
Old 22nd May 2014, 01:23   #647
BHPian

Hey guys in the market again for a used car. This time looking to choose between civic, accord, skoda Laura 1.8. Criteria for choosing is the most mod friendly, fits in the budget of 10 lakhs including the mods. I plan to install bilsteins, FFE with quad tail pipes, better brakes, alloys and a body kit to start with and at a later stage I should still be able to upgrade the car further. If you have any other cars in mind please do share. Have two months in hand to purchase the car. I have also seen a toyota mr2 with 60k on it. The dealer is asking for 8.5 lakhs. How difficult is it to source the parts? Is it worth going in for such a car in Delhi?

Thanks.
Old 22nd May 2014, 09:40   #648
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13thpsycho View Post
Hey guys in the market again for a used car. This time looking to choose between civic, accord, skoda Laura 1.8. Criteria for choosing is the most mod friendly, fits in the budget of 10 lakhs including the mods. I plan to install bilsteins, FFE with quad tail pipes, better brakes, alloys and a body kit to start with and at a later stage I should still be able to upgrade the car further. If you have any other cars in mind please do share. Have two months in hand to purchase the car. I have also seen a toyota mr2 with 60k on it. The dealer is asking for 8.5 lakhs. How difficult is it to source the parts? Is it worth going in for such a car in Delhi?

Thanks.
Laura 1.8 without a question. Sure the Civic, and Accord can be brought to high power figures by turbo charging, but with the Laura its just a matter of a remap. You also have Euro build quality and dynamics, which the Japs just cannot match.

There are enough threads here to show you what can be done with the 1.8 tsi.
Old 22nd May 2014, 10:18   #649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13thpsycho View Post
Hey guys in the market again for a used car. This time looking to choose between civic, accord, skoda Laura 1.8. Criteria for choosing is the most mod friendly, fits in the budget of 10 lakhs including the mods.
Thanks.
Civic with V-TEC madness! The magical V-TEC unicorns will please you to no end past 4000 revs. The car is an icon of the modding world and with better alloys and tyres, the steering becomes a lot more improved.
Considering you want to change the suspension and dampers, don't bother looking for the facelifted post 2009 version which came with stiffer rear dampers to prevent the car from having coitus with every undulation on the road. You can easily get a well maintained 2006/7 example for about 5 lakhs which should leave you enough money for an exhaust, suspension, CAI and a good ICE system. Once the V-TEC ponies leave you yearning for more, you can plonk in a turbo and then get turbo+v-tec madness

Last edited by IshaanIan : 22nd May 2014 at 10:20.
Old 7th July 2014, 12:27   #650
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Well, not 6 lakhs but not too far away either.

Recently met someone who bought a Volvo S80 8-cylinder for - hold your breath - 8 lakh rupees! This is an AWD sedan with 300+ BHP, 440 Nm of torque and topnotch safety for the price of a Dzire ZDi! Single owner, less than 15K kms on the odo.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 12:44   #651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Well, not 6 lakhs but not too far away either.

Recently met someone who bought a Volvo S80 8-cylinder for - hold your breath - 8 lakh rupees! This is an AWD sedan with 300+ BHP, 440 Nm of torque and topnotch safety for the price of a Dzire ZDi! Single owner, less than 15K kms on the odo.
Mother of all deals IMHO. That is one killer car for an unbelievable price!

Last edited by reignofchaos : 7th July 2014 at 12:46.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 16:16   #652
BHPian

Folks, please fish me out of this:

My Current car is Scorpio Sle m-Hawk - 2011

Am in the market looking for fun to drive car and I have already booked the new Fiat Linea T-Jet . I'll be using this car for occasional long drives (~1000kms 2-3 times a yr) with my wife & kid and for daily office runs.

My question is it worth buying the T-jet or should I consider Fiesta Classic too ? Or any suggestions would you guys have ?

Thanks,
Rajesh

PS: Am extremely satisfied scorpio user. This car is just to enjoy the driving dynamics over the long drives.

Last edited by 2500cc : 7th July 2014 at 16:19.
Old 25th September 2014, 17:40   #653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
My question is it worth buying the T-jet or should I consider Fiesta Classic too ? Or any suggestions would you guys have ?

Thanks,
Rajesh

PS: Am extremely satisfied scorpio user. This car is just to enjoy the driving dynamics over the long drives.

I am owning a classic (ECU remapped) for 2 years now and drove my cousin's T Jet off late. If you need the leather seats and lovely cues settle for the T jet, but have to live with rubber like gear shift.

On the other hand, the remapped classic pulls like mad, gears slot with confidence and gives you a wide smile because of its handling (T jet is not far behind though) and above all pretty decent mileage

Hope I answered the question though a couple of months late
Self Driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2014, 23:24   #654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Self Driven View Post
I am owning a classic (ECU remapped) for 2 years now and drove my cousin's T Jet off late. If you need the leather seats and lovely cues settle for the T jet, but have to live with rubber like gear shift.

On the other hand, the remapped classic pulls like mad, gears slot with confidence and gives you a wide smile because of its handling (T jet is not far behind though) and above all pretty decent mileage

Hope I answered the question though a couple of months late
After remap what is the bhp, must be a real cracker to drive. BTW how much is FE. Faintly thinking should i sell my stock Corolla which is in excellent condition and buy a used Fiesta/Classic.
Old 26th September 2014, 08:10   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
After remap what is the bhp, must be a real cracker to drive. BTW how much is FE. Faintly thinking should i sell my stock Corolla which is in excellent condition and buy a used Fiesta/Classic.
Hi

Yes the car is a cracker when it touches 1800 rpm at which the turbo kicks in.

T o T said the bhp should be in the 80s, though numbers may fool you the real power delivery when you need it is best to be felt and decided.

Since re map if found at ASS voids warranty, it's better to buy a 2010 and above model and re map it

Unfortunately I am selling my classic (TN registered) which is 20 months old since I shifted to KA

Mileage remains same with increased power which is a deal for me 16 kmpl in push and drive.. 20 kmpl in highways (<100 kmph)
Old 21st October 2014, 18:45   #656
BHPian

As fantastic as a post is this by GTO, I was increasingly feeling the Gypsy won't be included in the list. But then voila, you see Gypsy too listed in there! Its a rear wheel drive and a 4 wheel drive And the performance gets better and better as the road gets worse and worse

What a superb exhaustive list it is, Kudos to you!
Old 21st October 2014, 18:56   #657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Folks, please fish me out of this:

My Current car is Scorpio Sle m-Hawk - 2011

Am in the market looking for fun to drive car and I have already booked the new Fiat Linea T-Jet . I'll be using this car for occasional long drives (~1000kms 2-3 times a yr) with my wife & kid and for daily office runs.

Thanks,
Rajesh

If this car will be ferrying your family regularly, then stick with the T-Jet, if it is purely for you and a few of your friends, nothing compares to the Fiesta 1.6. Try getting your hands on a used 1.6S (there is a bhpian selling one in good nick). The steering, sweet normally aspirated petrol, driving position, gearshift and suspension are simply a divine combination.
Old 13th November 2014, 16:48   #658

Used driver focused Petrol Sedan/Hatch: Finalised on Ford Fiesta 1.6 Duratech Ltd

Dear Bhpians,

I was in the look out for a used driver focused petrol car for the past 2 months. My priorities were: fun to drive quick car, decent fuel efficiency (10-11ish kmpl), good ride and handling, ease of service and availability of spares. My budget was flexible, maxing out at Rs. 4lakh.

Models i went through:
1) Fiat Punto 1.4 Emotion (Pros: awesome ride and handling, features, build and feel; Cons: rubbery gear box, lack of good examples in the used market and rust issues on the a couple of 09 models i saw) One of the options i came across: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...eview-429.html, (Dear #Mods, i am posting a new thread as my previous one has been moved to Punto official review thread)

2) Fiat Linea 1.4 (Same as the punto, even better ride, handling, build and feel but the power put out by the NA 1.4 was not enough to make me grin)

3) Ford Fiesta 1.6 (Pros: Steering feel, good pickup, very sweet gearshifter, visibility from inside the car, compact dimensions, decent ride, low price in the used market. Cons: Relatively expensive spares compared to fiat and suzuki and lack of child parts, not so great fuel efficiency and suspected issues with suspension and steering unit)

4) Honda Civic 1.8 (Pros: Handling, grip, power, ride, seats, features, looks, brag value and many more. Cons: Ground Clearance!, FE and expensive spares)

After having driven various examples of the models stated above and doing exhaustive research on my parameters/priorities, I have finally shortlisted on a Fiesta 1.6 Limited 2009 model with 43,000km on the ODO and complete service record. The car doesnt have any modern day bells and whistles but the way it drove and rode made me forget all the addons and gadgets since i aint much of a gadget freak to start with. Power windows, fogs, 4 speaker stock ICE and driver seat height adjust are all i get. I would have loved to have abs and airbags though but i guess keeping myself strapped in should do the job in most cases (god forbid!).

I took the car to a ford service center (Astro Ford, Dwaraka) and got it checked for engine, suspension, clutch, gearbox, underbody etc.
The service manager gave me a green on the condition of the car and i did a 6-7 km test drive on all sorts of roads driving upto 90kmph. The car seemed good with out any rattles, steering pull/offset, odd noises from any of the components, the clutch was a little hard and the service adviser said it'd last another 10,000 km atleast. The entire suspension of the vehicle was replaced under warranty (in extended warranty period of +2 years) at 36,000km according to the owner but he doesnt have a record. I am checking up with Delhi Ford, Vasant Kunj on the same. The owner is a gentleman working with hero motorcorp in the after sales team so i trust him with maintenance of the vehicle. He has kept the car totally stock and didnt even get a remote lock/unlock installed as he didnt want to mess with the original wiring!

I am getting the car for a very decent price and i have factored in Rs. 50,000 for repairs and accessories over the next 6 months. The tyres on the car are the ones it came with but have decent tread left about 60% (MRF ZVTS 175x65 R14). I plan to get them changed in a month or so. I also plan to add a 1.6s spoiler and a base tube/woofer and a pair of speakers.

My humble request to all bhpians of the fiesta brotherhood , i cant wait to be a part of it is to give me a headsup on what other components/ parameters of the car i should look into before making the final plunge. I have just paid an advance as a confirmation of my interest. I would like to take a well informed decision as i am in no hurry to buy the vehicle.

Also, please guide me on what all service and parts issues that might crop up in the coming one year based on the 5 year age and 43k km usages till date. some headsup on the FE i can expect, dont intend to hypermile but looking at atleast 10-11 kmpl in delhi traffic with a/c. I intend to keep the car atleast for 2-3 years or even more if it serves me well.

I intend to seal the deal by next weekend and will be extremely grateful for all your inputs, suggestions and advice!

PS: I have always loved the fiesta for its handling ever since i drove it for the first time way back in 2006. My first experience was in the 1.4 Duratorq and i loved it. When i finally got my hands on the 1.6 Duratech in 2008, i was smitten!
Old 14th November 2014, 12:30   #659
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Used driver focused Petrol Sedan/Hatch: Finalised on Ford Fiesta 1.6 Duratech Ltd

Honestly, the Fiesta 1.6 is one of the most fun, reliable daily driver's you can get in that budget (I am expecting a 2.xx price given its age). The steering feel is superb, and the dimensions make the car like a go-kart in the city. The suspension is slightly on the stiff side, and is a boon at higher speeds - the car can handle bumps and undulations like none other in its segment.
In terms of reliability, nothing major has cropped up that I can recall - unlike the TDCi shutting down mysteriously. Most owners are very happy, even with 1L + on the ODO. A tip would be to search the forum for some reviews, and get in touch with some owners from Delhi (Suman?) who could guide you better with regards to dealers and what to watch out for.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2014, 17:26   #660

So my Lancer was stolen yesterday and now I need a new car. Looking to buy a fun to drive sedan, manual or automatic. I was considering between a Civic, Corolla Altis and a Fiesta if I can get my hands on a new model in my budget of 5 lacs.

What would you guys recommend? I don't drive long distances, my monthly KM clock would be less than 1200 kms.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks