Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2014, 20:49   #661
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgotPants View Post
So my Lancer was stolen yesterday and now I need a new car. Looking to buy a fun to drive sedan, manual or automatic. I was considering between a Civic, Corolla Altis and a Fiesta if I can get my hands on a new model in my budget of 5 lacs.

What would you guys recommend? I don't drive long distances, my monthly KM clock would be less than 1200 kms.
Considering your location is Delhi and there is confusion around the 15-year rule to be enforced, you might be better off to go for a slightly newer car instead of a slightly bigger car.

My pick would be Fiesta 1.6. In case there is any 1.6 S available, nothing like it.
Old 22nd December 2014, 21:06   #662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgotPants View Post
So my Lancer was stolen yesterday...
Off-topic, but what exactly happened?
Old 22nd December 2014, 21:41   #663

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Considering your location is Delhi and there is confusion around the 15-year rule to be enforced, you might be better off to go for a slightly newer car instead of a slightly bigger car.

My pick would be Fiesta 1.6. In case there is any 1.6 S available, nothing like it.
The Fiesta 1.6 S is a good choice but I see very people selling it unfortunately. I am a little clueless when it comes to Ford cars but is the 1.6 EXi Duratec Ltd a good choice as well? What kind of kms driven should I look for as a cutoff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
Off-topic, but what exactly happened?
Well, I parked it outside my society since the parking was full. I left it at 10:15ish in the night and it was gone before the car washing guy came at 7:45 next morning. It sucks, I loved that car.
Old 23rd February 2015, 02:25   #664
BHPian

Hello,BHPians!
I am looking to buy a car for use in Pune as I will be shifting there from Mumbai for my new job in the summer and a bike is a no-no. Looking for a FTD car mostly for evenings(non-commute) and weekend use. Occasionally short outstation trips. So petrol will do. Our garage currently consists of a 2008 i10 1.2 & a 2012 Skoda Yeti 4x2. The Yeti is used by my father and hence have thought of the following options:

1. Sell the i10 and replace it with a used 2009-2011 Laura TSI
2. Sell the i10 and replace it with a used TJET or (insert FTD car suggestion here)
3. Use the i10 for a few months (say 6-8) and then replace with a brand new sparkling GT TSI.

As anyone might say, option 1 is my personal favourite. Budget is a little flexible around the 6 lacs mark as that's what I have seen 1.8 TSIs going for. Another challenge is convincing my father to actually drop the money on a used European.
I have the next couple of months to execute the plan. Looking for some practical advice from an enthusiast.
Old 27th July 2015, 18:16   #665
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Am looking for a used cross-over within 6-8L budget. A quick look on the internet revealed me Honda CRVs, Chevrolet Captivas, Mitsubishi Outlanders and one Chevrolet Forester for a much lower price tag. I rode an Outlander few months ago and have been a fan of it ever since. Would be great if I can pick up one in decent condition. My priorities are petrol, AT and a cross-over. As long as the vehicle is in good condition, kms covered is not an issue.

I currently drive a company provided Vento AT and have a 2001 Palio 1.6 GTX which I occasionally use. The Vento will go back to the company very soon and am looking for one of the above to replace it as my daily drive.

The primary reason to have cross-over as one of the criteria is to navigate the potholes which are quite abundant on my daily route. I would prefer car like handling and that’s the reason no proper SUV has been shortlisted. I plan to keep this purchase for at-least 4-5 years. Most of these seem to be discontinued but am hoping that servicing and spares will not be an issue for the next 5 years.

Looking for opinions and advice. Please also let me know if any other brand or model can be considered.

Thanks in advance!
Old 28th July 2015, 10:40   #666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Am looking for a used cross-over within 6-8L budget. A quick look on the internet revealed me Honda CRVs, Chevrolet Captivas, Mitsubishi Outlanders and one Chevrolet Forester for a much lower price tag. I rode an Outlander few months ago and have been a fan of it ever since. Would be great if I can pick up one in decent condition. My priorities are petrol, AT and a cross-over. As long as the vehicle is in good condition, kms covered is not an issue.

I currently drive a company provided Vento AT and have a 2001 Palio 1.6 GTX which I occasionally use. The Vento will go back to the company very soon and am looking for one of the above to replace it as my daily drive.

The primary reason to have cross-over as one of the criteria is to navigate the potholes which are quite abundant on my daily route. I would prefer car like handling and that’s the reason no proper SUV has been shortlisted. I plan to keep this purchase for at-least 4-5 years. Most of these seem to be discontinued but am hoping that servicing and spares will not be an issue for the next 5 years.

Looking for opinions and advice. Please also let me know if any other brand or model can be considered.

Thanks in advance!
I imagine that the Forester and Outlander both suffer from the same trouble, namely, spares. Maybe not the Outlander so much, because Mitsubishi seems to be good about these things, but for rare parts, General Motors will take anything from 1 to 3 weeks for delivery. If that is acceptable to you, either of those cars will be excellent choices. Forester, of course, won't be an automatic.

However, I must add that spares for the Forester aren't a problem internationally, if that is a route that is viable for you.
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 11:06   #667
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post

Thanks in advance!
I never tried the the Mitsu, but did the CRV, forester and captiva.
In terms of handling, I'd say Forester, followed by the CRV.
But the age of what you may get, and the utter rarity of the forester discounted it for me, in delhi at least. The CRVs had good options available, with a 2008 model available for 7L, and the older shapes starting from 3L, going up to 5L. i was sold on this car, and planned to get it CNG'd because the mileage was ridiculous to run it 80kms a day on petrol. The captiva was not captivating enough, again, due to the rarity.
I would suggest the CRV, or the Captiva. Someone I know has one, bought used, about 3-4 years ago, with close to a lac, and he absolutely swears by the reliability.
But you want petrol, so CRV, I'd say.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 10:19   #668
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
However, I must add that spares for the Forester aren't a problem internationally, if that is a route that is viable for you.
Thank you! This route is fine for me as am used to importing stuff for my bike and watches. I have heard excellent things about Forester and will definitely give a try. Spoke to an Outlander owner and have booked a slot for this Sunday. Let's see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I never tried the the Mitsu, but did the CRV, forester and captiva.
In terms of handling, I'd say Forester, followed by the CRV.
But the age of what you may get, and the utter rarity of the forester discounted it for me, in delhi at least. The CRVs had good options available, with a 2008 model available for 7L, and the older shapes starting from 3L, going up to 5L. i was sold on this car, and planned to get it CNG'd because the mileage was ridiculous to run it 80kms a day on petrol. The captiva was not captivating enough, again, due to the rarity.
I would suggest the CRV, or the Captiva. Someone I know has one, bought used, about 3-4 years ago, with close to a lac, and he absolutely swears by the reliability.
But you want petrol, so CRV, I'd say.
Thank you! Am seeing a couple of CRVs this weekend. Will pen down my thoughts later.
Old 23rd August 2015, 22:44   #669
BHPian

Checked out a few cars on the net. Wanted opinions/advice since the odometer readings seemed low:
1.Toyota Corolla H1 1.8J 2007 model 38,000 3.0 lac
2.volkswagen jetta 2.0 l CR TDI MT Trendline 2010 34,000 5.0 lac
Old 23rd August 2015, 23:48   #670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus View Post
This looks too good to be true as per Bangalore standards, this would be my pick of the two.
Old 24th August 2015, 00:51   #671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Checked out a few cars on the net. Wanted opinions/advice since the odometer readings seemed low:
1.Toyota Corolla H1 1.8J 2007 model 38,000 3.0 lac
Were you able to check the service history of these cars? That is the first step towards ensuring authenticity of what is advertised. Both seem to be really good deals, not too far-fetched either but I would still recommend you do a thorough inspection and have then checked out by a trusted mechanic, if you still don't find any faults, hand them over to their respective ASCs for a thorough report on their condition, especially the Jetta if you are considering it since the Corolla is quite simple and easy to fix even if there are a few issues with it.
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 08:00   #672
BHPian

Thanks Ishanian. I have not seen either of these vehicles besides the photos. Would spare parts be a problem for the corola? Since the next generation of these cars must be already in. Secondly is it possible to tamper with digital odometer since the photos have the readings as well. Do the authorized service centers give a service history to a potential buyer for a fee perhaps?
Old 24th August 2015, 08:04   #673
BHPian

Zulfi the jetta is a corporate car from the advertisement. Would a 5 year old car have a lot of parts to be replaced since the servicing will surely be pricey
Old 24th August 2015, 09:53   #674
BHPian

Quote:
Zulfi the jetta is a corporate car from the advertisement. Would a 5 year old car have a lot of parts to be replaced since the servicing will surely be pricey
Very strictly both don't belong to this thread, that said, I own a 2003 Corolla which is nearing 1.8 L kms and is still a hoot to drive, its a package which none of your family members will ever object to, soft suspension, very comfortable on bad city roads in low speeds, but can get a little bouncy, gear shift is not very smooth, but the engine is a brilliant 1.8 L petrol NA which revs pretty readily to the red line. Mileage is exceptionally good for a car of this age and NA petrol power, you will get about 12 in the city and 15 on the highway [average speed of 120-140], or more. Now the bills, I started doing my suspension work in phases as suggested by SA at Toyota A S S when it had clocked 1.5 L kms and completed it at 1.7 L kms, since the car does not run more than 10000 kms / year it took me 2 years, three services and cost 50 K, and now the O2 sensor has to be replaced which will cost me Rs. 12000, other than this it has not made me spend anything extra, regular services never cost more than an average of 5-6 K, tyres batteries as usual. All in all, it never made me feel that I had a car that big in my house, heck it cost me less than my earlier Santro in maintenance cost.

I don't own a Jetta but from what I know it will cost you at least 4 times more than a Corolla. If you run less than 15000 kms/year better stick to Corolla. Look at the Jetta only if it is the 2.0 L crdi, and if you want to have that German car experience, and the parts that surprisingly failed, its a package which is different and enjoyable too, but not if you are counting every penny spent on it. This being a corporate car it should have good service history, but you need to check it for your self. Nonetheless, sudden failure of parts is common in German cars. Luckily this car being a MT you will not have any issues common with their DSG auto, which they only replace at exorbitant prices.

If you want a performance car, in a Corolla you need to change to stiffer springs and dampers yet the ride will not be as sorted as the Jetta, but its a different joy altogether.

ODO readings can be tampered in both the cars, never buy these without full service history.
zulfi hansi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 21:16   #675
BHPian

Thanks Zulfi for the info. I will be asking for the service history

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks