Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Old 19th June 2020, 20:29   #811

Default Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Look for a used Suzuki Swift petrol, preferably the K12 model (not the earlier G13B engine- that one would be too old at this time). You should get one which is about 7-8 years old at around the INR 2 lakh price (maybe slightly higher), especially in north India. A great mix of reliability and performance, and also very easy on the pocket. Typical high revving Japanese engine.
Thanks man, I never thought about it. Now that I see it, it's a really great car. Thanks a lot. You're a lifesaver.

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd June 2020 at 21:12. Reason: Please avoid typing with excessive dots. like... this... Thanks!
Old 20th June 2020, 14:46   #812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaam View Post
Hello! What can you suggest as a first car for a student under the 2 lakhs scene? I really want to get started with a good project car in my time. Are there good powerful fun to drive used cars under this price point which wouldn't be that crazy with servicing? I have heard bad things about the non-availability of SGP parts of the old Baleno so I am quite hesitant towards buying it. Can someone help me?
Swift is an easy recommendation however the 1.2K series engine might feel a bit lacking in grunt especially at higher altitudes.

My recommendation would be an SX4 petrol. The M series 1.6 petrol has enough oomph, the ride height and suspension is perfect for bad roads, 16 inch alloys on the top-end give you some neat chunky tyre options, and the build quality is better than most Marutis so you need not worry as much about the consequences of wrapping yourself around a tree

Alternatively if maintenance costs are not too much of an issue, look no further than an old 1.6 Fabia (an absolute lost gem) better knee room than the polo both for the driver and rear seat passengers, along with less resale value to the buyer's benefit.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd June 2020 at 20:18. Reason: Quoted post edited.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 14:25   #813

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Swift is an easy recommendation however the 1.2K series engine might feel a bit lacking in grunt especially at higher altitudes.

My recommendation would be an SX4 petrol. The M series 1.6 petrol has enough oomph, the ride height and suspension is perfect for bad roads, 16 inch alloys on the top-end give you some neat chunky tyre options, and the build quality is better than most Marutis so you need not worry as much about the consequences of wrapping yourself around a tree

Alternatively if maintenance costs are not too much of an issue, look no further than an old 1.6 Fabia (an absolute lost gem) better knee room than the polo both for the driver and rear seat passengers, along with less resale value to the buyer's benefit.
I think you are right about that, but do you think it can pull itself better than a Swift on high slopes? I am asking this as it snows here and driving becomes a disaster. My sister still owns a Zen Estilo and it pulls itself better than my dad's Ecosport tdci which is the worst car for Kashmir in my opinion. But I don't know why my dad likes it. Must be something sentimental I guess. So do you think the weight might play a factor here like the Ecosport? To be honest, the Ecosport is like a bull which gets pneumonia in the winter and can't go up snowy slopes, but I think the SX4 has a better power to weight ratio or is the Swift lighter and better?! This dilemma is giving me a headache. Sorry if I sound too much like newbie , but there aren't too many people to talk about this here. Again thanks!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd June 2020 at 20:16. Reason: Please take the time to construct your posts properly.
Old 22nd June 2020, 19:05   #814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think you are right about that, but do you think it can pull itself better than a Swift on high slopes? I am asking this as it snows here and driving becomes a disaster. My sister still owns a Zen Estilo and it pulls itself better than my dad's Ecosport tdci which is the worst car for Kashmir in my opinion. But I don't know why my dad likes it. Must be something sentimental I guess. So do you think the weight might play a factor here like the Ecosport?
You are absolutely right. Weight does play a huge factor however there isn't much of a difference between the three here. You father's Ecosport probably struggles because of the diesel engine playing foul when it comes to linearly delivering power. The 1.6 M16A motor in the SX4 is a peach and the car does have a bit of rally pedigree behind it so I doubt it should be an issue. I believe it should also be possible to retrofit the AWD system if it can be imported at a later stage.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd June 2020 at 20:16. Reason: Quoted post edited.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 12:49   #815
BHPian

Quote:
Hello! What can you suggest as a first car for a student under the 2 lakhs scene? I really want to get started with a good project car in my time. Are there good powerful fun to drive used cars under this price point which wouldn't be that crazy with servicing?
The choice is limited by your risk appetite (or lack of the same). Given your budget, I'd suggest Ford Fiesta, preferably, Fiesta S. It has enough exclusivity, coupled with fun to drive factor. However, you may not find much support for customisation in India, if that is your aim. Global fiesta is another incredible platform, but the petrol engine is the most useless one Ford has launched in India.
You'll get Cedia sports too. Again, the support is limited and you need time and energy to maintain one. Btw, it is one of the most reliable cars you can buy used.
Old 14th July 2020, 12:54   #816
BHPian

Should add Low Ground Clearance also to "What you won't like". The one I had would rub itself on every other speed breaker, especially some in parts of Old Gurgaon
bosem123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 03:39   #817

Default Pre-owned Classic car or brand new? Suggestions needed for my first car purchase

Hello Everyone,
Hope you all are safe, healthy and doing well. I have just joined Team-Bhp, and am thrilled to be here. This is my first post. I am an enthusiast, who has been driving for more than 6 years now. I have been tuning and testing ABS in vehicles, as an application engineer for BOSCH for almost a year now.

I have been planning to buy a car for quite a while now. I would really appreciate if you would suggest a few viable options as my first car purchase, and in doing so also answer the questions- Should I buy a pre-owned classic car, or a brand-new budget alternative?

What do I want the car for? Well, for starters, I have always dreamt of owning one. I want to travel to my office at Chakan, Pune, 25km away from my home and back. And a monthly visit to Nashik, my hometown. Also occasionally, I want to wander off in the ghats after a hectic week.

What are my priorities while looking for a car?
1) Safety- Braking performance, other safety features like ABS and so on are very welcome.
2) Performance- Manual transmission, good power & torque, Good Highway manners and handling
3) Pocket-Friendly- Cheaper to run, and one that would require fewer pit-stops, and would not be a trouser-trouble when it comes to spares
4) Classy Looks and Image, perhaps even a bit of history would delight me.
5) Reliability- Well, it should be a given.
6) Comfort

The list can go on....

Being a petrolhead, I had originally shortlisted-
- a Type-2 1.5l Honda City- my childhood crush if I may,
- a 2010 Honda Civic 1.8V, an absolute beauty
- a Ford Fiesta 1.6l, although I think they are very rare nowdays, and would fetch a higher premium
- a Skoda Octavia vRS,

But as I discussed my plan with my parents, it became very clear that they are not open to buying used cars. We have had a couple of bad experiences in the past- One with a two year old Toyota Innova in 2011 and another with a used Toyota Corolla Altis. My parents would have me pay EMIs on a brand new car, than pay much less for a used car and then spend on maintenance. Also, other so-called "Anubhavi People" in my circle say that new cars are a wise option- feature rich and easy to maintain. So, I want to also consider new cars, which are fun to drive, but also fit my budget. I am looking for the cheapest fun to drive car, with my above mentioned priorities fulfilled..

On a side note, I am really rooting for a Honda Civic. I have never driven one, but based on reviews, I think it is the best that I could possibly get based on my priorities. I am only worried about its running and maintenance costs.

I request all to kindly tell me what you think I should buy.
Old 19th October 2020, 07:59   #818
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Pre-owned Classic car or brand new? Suggestions needed for my first car purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshV10 View Post
I have been tuning and testing ABS in vehicles, as an application engineer for BOSCH

I had originally shortlisted-
- a Type-2 1.5l Honda City- my childhood crush if I may

But as I discussed my plan with my parents, it became very clear that they are not open to buying used cars.

Also, other so-called "Anubhavi People" in my circle say that new cars are a wise option- feature rich and easy to maintain.
Welcome on board, Harsh !! I wish I could do the tuning and testing work that you're doing.

You should be getting a used 2014-17 Honda City OR Maruti Ciaz. Good engine options plus not very heavy on the pocket to maintain; lot of excellent options in the used car market today.

Please read up the number of issues that have been cropping up in new cars and then decide if you think it is worth it. In my view, a new car today is more risky than a 4-5 year old used car than has done, say, 50k kms.

If you must go new, the Brezza, Urban Cruiser and Ciaz would be my pick for you.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 04:38   #819
Senior - BHPian

Here's my recommendations from the used car market:
  1. Kizashi/Laura 1.8 - both leagues above the Civic in terms of stability and driving dynamics. The Laura feels more light on its feet, while the Kizashi feels more grippy and brakes better. Take your pick.
  2. SX4 - gen 1 non variable valve timing 1.6 petrol SX4s are sublime when it comes to cheap no nonsense thrills
  3. Fabia 1.6 - lackluster engine but supreme ride and handling mixed with the perfect power to footprint ratio makes this my all time favorite car to drive in the city

When it comes to new cars the Tiago JTP is all I can think of. Nothing else seems worth the money and taxes you end up paying these days IMO
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 15:23   #820
BHPian

Default Re: Pre-owned Classic car or brand new? Suggestions needed for my first car purchase

Quote:

Simply go for POLO GT TSI and have fun for some years before moving on to Sedan/SUV.

The pleasure of driving polo is unmatchable and at your age, it is going to be memorable experience
tirumalavoleti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 17:20   #821
BHPian

Quote:
Being a petrolhead, I had originally shortlisted-
- a Type-2 1.5l Honda City- my childhood crush if I may,
- a 2010 Honda Civic 1.8V, an absolute beauty
- a Ford Fiesta 1.6l, although I think they are very rare nowdays, and would fetch a higher premium
- a Skoda Octavia vRS,
Being an owner of a used Fiesta 1.6, I would certainly recommend it, given your requirements. I was in a similar situation a few years back, but I always wanted to buy the Fiesta, so it was more of a heart-over-head decision for me.

You will have to look carefully for a good example in the used car market. More often than not, the 1.6S models would be well maintained since the owner mostly would have been an enthusiast.
Maintenance costs would be slightly higher than a new car definitely, but I guess that is to be expected of any used car which is 5+ years old. You can check for the regular service costs and replacement part costs on the Ford website and then make a decision whether those are okay with you.
Mine is a 2012 SXI variant, which had covered 53k kms when I bought it. Over 3 years of ownership, the only major replacements I had to make were:
  1. Discs, which had scoring marks
  2. Power steering hose - part of a recall, which had not been changed in mine.
  3. Coolant tank and associated pipes - Seems like a recurring issue, maybe due to inferior tank quality. But not a costly affair.
  4. Rear wheel bearings
I'm sorry I don't remember the exact costs for these but I don't remember anything being too heavy on the pocket. If you have a trusted FNG, then these will be even lower.
P.S. There is a blue Fiesta 1.6S on the TBHP classifieds, for sale in Mumbai. Might be worth a look.

You could also go for a new Figo or a sparingly used GT TSI. Both may cost you around the same, although Polo service costs might be higher(not sure).
The old Octavia VRS might be costlier to maintain, and since all of them will be more than 10yrs old, you'll have to budget for a lot of part replacements that inevitably come with age.

Is size a criteria? If not, the Brio is also a fun little pocket rocket to consider, with a peppy, rev-happy iVtec.
Rohan24 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed