Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Old 19th June 2020, 20:29   #811

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Look for a used Suzuki Swift petrol, preferably the K12 model (not the earlier G13B engine- that one would be too old at this time). You should get one which is about 7-8 years old at around the INR 2 lakh price (maybe slightly higher), especially in north India. A great mix of reliability and performance, and also very easy on the pocket. Typical high revving Japanese engine.
Thanks man, I never thought about it. Now that I see it, it's a really great car. Thanks a lot. You're a lifesaver.

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd June 2020 at 21:12. Reason: Please avoid typing with excessive dots. like... this... Thanks!
Old 20th June 2020, 14:46   #812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaam View Post
Hello! What can you suggest as a first car for a student under the 2 lakhs scene? I really want to get started with a good project car in my time. Are there good powerful fun to drive used cars under this price point which wouldn't be that crazy with servicing? I have heard bad things about the non-availability of SGP parts of the old Baleno so I am quite hesitant towards buying it. Can someone help me?
Swift is an easy recommendation however the 1.2K series engine might feel a bit lacking in grunt especially at higher altitudes.

My recommendation would be an SX4 petrol. The M series 1.6 petrol has enough oomph, the ride height and suspension is perfect for bad roads, 16 inch alloys on the top-end give you some neat chunky tyre options, and the build quality is better than most Marutis so you need not worry as much about the consequences of wrapping yourself around a tree

Alternatively if maintenance costs are not too much of an issue, look no further than an old 1.6 Fabia (an absolute lost gem) better knee room than the polo both for the driver and rear seat passengers, along with less resale value to the buyer's benefit.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd June 2020 at 20:18. Reason: Quoted post edited.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 14:25   #813

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Swift is an easy recommendation however the 1.2K series engine might feel a bit lacking in grunt especially at higher altitudes.

My recommendation would be an SX4 petrol. The M series 1.6 petrol has enough oomph, the ride height and suspension is perfect for bad roads, 16 inch alloys on the top-end give you some neat chunky tyre options, and the build quality is better than most Marutis so you need not worry as much about the consequences of wrapping yourself around a tree

Alternatively if maintenance costs are not too much of an issue, look no further than an old 1.6 Fabia (an absolute lost gem) better knee room than the polo both for the driver and rear seat passengers, along with less resale value to the buyer's benefit.
I think you are right about that, but do you think it can pull itself better than a Swift on high slopes? I am asking this as it snows here and driving becomes a disaster. My sister still owns a Zen Estilo and it pulls itself better than my dad's Ecosport tdci which is the worst car for Kashmir in my opinion. But I don't know why my dad likes it. Must be something sentimental I guess. So do you think the weight might play a factor here like the Ecosport? To be honest, the Ecosport is like a bull which gets pneumonia in the winter and can't go up snowy slopes, but I think the SX4 has a better power to weight ratio or is the Swift lighter and better?! This dilemma is giving me a headache. Sorry if I sound too much like newbie , but there aren't too many people to talk about this here. Again thanks!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd June 2020 at 20:16. Reason: Please take the time to construct your posts properly.
Old 22nd June 2020, 19:05   #814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think you are right about that, but do you think it can pull itself better than a Swift on high slopes? I am asking this as it snows here and driving becomes a disaster. My sister still owns a Zen Estilo and it pulls itself better than my dad's Ecosport tdci which is the worst car for Kashmir in my opinion. But I don't know why my dad likes it. Must be something sentimental I guess. So do you think the weight might play a factor here like the Ecosport?
You are absolutely right. Weight does play a huge factor however there isn't much of a difference between the three here. You father's Ecosport probably struggles because of the diesel engine playing foul when it comes to linearly delivering power. The 1.6 M16A motor in the SX4 is a peach and the car does have a bit of rally pedigree behind it so I doubt it should be an issue. I believe it should also be possible to retrofit the AWD system if it can be imported at a later stage.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd June 2020 at 20:16. Reason: Quoted post edited.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 12:49   #815
BHPian

Quote:
Hello! What can you suggest as a first car for a student under the 2 lakhs scene? I really want to get started with a good project car in my time. Are there good powerful fun to drive used cars under this price point which wouldn't be that crazy with servicing?
The choice is limited by your risk appetite (or lack of the same). Given your budget, I'd suggest Ford Fiesta, preferably, Fiesta S. It has enough exclusivity, coupled with fun to drive factor. However, you may not find much support for customisation in India, if that is your aim. Global fiesta is another incredible platform, but the petrol engine is the most useless one Ford has launched in India.
You'll get Cedia sports too. Again, the support is limited and you need time and energy to maintain one. Btw, it is one of the most reliable cars you can buy used.
Old 14th July 2020, 12:54   #816

Should add Low Ground Clearance also to "What you won't like". The one I had would rub itself on every other speed breaker, especially some in parts of Old Gurgaon

Most Viewed