Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2021, 22:30   #826

Default Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Here's my recommendations from the used car market:
  1. Kizashi/Laura 1.8 - both leagues above the Civic in terms of stability and driving dynamics. The Laura feels more light on its feet, while the Kizashi feels more grippy and brakes better. Take your pick.
  2. SX4 - gen 1 non variable valve timing 1.6 petrol SX4s are sublime when it comes to cheap no nonsense thrills
  3. Fabia 1.6 - lackluster engine but supreme ride and handling mixed with the perfect power to footprint ratio makes this my all time favorite car to drive in the city
Wow! These were something I did not consider. SX4 also seemed like a great option, but again, No Maruti Suzuki for me. I think I have been in MS cars forever. Need some change. Also, I am rather suspicious of used German cars. My office had a Skoda Fabia as a department vehicle, whose engine had developed serious issues in just 7-8 years of ownership. Similar issue in my friend's diesel Octavia.
Old 5th April 2021, 11:09   #827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushagra_29 View Post
Thanks for the advice! I recently came across a 2001 City Vtec, which is in Hyd. The owner is asking for 2.25 for the car. Is the price he's demanding reasonable?
Also, any idea about the spare part availability and Service costs of the Type 2 Vtec?
I have never bought pre-owned cars but am currently on the look out for one now so tough to comment on that. Both the Cities I have owned were purchased new. That said, I am not sure if buying a 20 year old car is worthwhile.

How many km has it run in 20 years? If less than 100K, maybe still worth while. I suppose that one can always find OEM spares for Honda cars.
Old 8th June 2021, 21:19   #828

Default Which one to choose? The one my Heart likes or the Mind?

We have a primary family car which is a Tata Tiago XZA Petrol. It checks several of the boxes for us in terms of practicality, ease to drive by anyone in the family, low maintenance, etc. As the family is slightly grown, we are now looking for second car and here the confusion starts.

Requirements - As Tiago serves as the daily car for the city, looking for a second car which is more powerful, stable and safe, offers good boot space, maybe manual gear shift, a diesel one, so that its made more for the long drives on highways and it becomes a different breed altogether.
By the way, usage will not be much, as its majorly for highways and will hold the car for not more than 5-6years.

Budget - Rs.5-6Lakh

Note: I prefer something which is mod friendly, would start off with some aesthetic modifications and maybe at a later point of time invest on performance mods.

That obviously boils down to a pre-worshipped car, nevertheless I would strongly prefer something which has done less on miles.
I would not prefer a Tata, due to the poor after sales support and would stay away from the Maruti and Hyundai brands due to too high prices in the used car space

After doing some research on OLX and I have shortlisted few options which are directly from the owners and seemed genuine

Options -

1. Skoda Laura TDi - 2010 - White - Driven 67K kms - Single owner - Quoting 4.5Lakh
Have been a fan of Skoda's build quality and stability especially on the highways. 67K kms in 11 years seems to be on the lower side of usage. Main worrying factor is Skoda's maintenance costs.

2. Skoda Superb L&K TDi AT - 2011 - Black - Driven 60K kms - Second owner - Quoting 6.5Lakh
Same concerns as Option 1, a bit more concerned now about the maintenance costs considering its a 'Superb' and a segment above

3. Toyota Etios Cross VD - 2015 - Silver - Driven 50K kms - Single owner - Quoting 4.8Lakh
Not a sedan, but it checks several other boxes like efficiency, maintenance costs, practicality etc...Though Etios cross is out of the market I believe spares would not be a problem considering the sibling Etios which is still doing well in the market.

4. Mahindra Thar CRDE - 2016 - Black - Driven 22K kms - Single owner - Quoting 7Lakh
Yes, this is out of the box, but I like the form factor more and the commanding hold on road. Always had a dream of owning a Jeep and this being the second car, I convincing myself on the practicality here. This guy comes with a good list of after market accessories installed which include Hard top, Snorkel, Off road front bumper, Music System, few more. Looks like existing owner has spent a lot on it but hasn't used much.

Toyota is obviously the Option my mind shortlists, while Skoda and Thar are the one's my heart likes
Considering I wont keep the car till it clocks 1Lakh kms, should I worry a lot about the maintenance bit of Skoda?
Though Thar is not practical, is it even recommended for long drives with family?

Which option should I go with?
Old 9th June 2021, 08:52   #829
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Which one to choose? The one my Heart likes or the Mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by visurao4all View Post
looking for a second car which is more powerful, stable and safe, offers good boot space, maybe manual gear shift, a diesel one, so that its made more for the long drives on highways

Budget - Rs.5-6Lakh

I would not prefer a Tata, due to the poor after sales support and would stay away from the Maruti and Hyundai brands due to too high prices in the used car space

Options -

1. Skoda Laura TDi - 2010 - White - Driven 67K kms - Single owner

2. Skoda Superb L&K TDi AT - 2011 - Black - Driven 60K kms

3. Toyota Etios Cross VD - 2015 - Silver - Driven 50K kms - Single owner

4. Mahindra Thar CRDE - 2016 - Black - Driven 22K kms - Single owner
Options 1 and 2 may be rejected right away as, prima facie, I find their odo readings suspect and they will be expensive to keep. Option 3 can be considered, but won't fulfill your criteria of power and boot space. The Thar will hold value very well but may not be your best bet.

Here are some suggestions :

1. Hard to find one in the 5-6 L category, but I'd go with the Ertiga zxi, if you're able to find a good one, even if it is 7-8 years old. It has safety features, space, practicality

2. Toyota Altis petrol of 2008-10 vintage even if it has done 1,00,000km and is genuinely kept. The 1ZZ-FE engine is very reliable and these cars go on and on.The Altis petrol will return 15kmpl guaranteed on highways

3. Toyota Altis diesel of 2010-12, again if it is genuinely kept. The diesel with its puny 1.4L engine and 6 speed gear box will return over 20kmpl.

4. Toyota Innova V of 2009-12 vintage - you might have to stretch by a lac to get a good example. These are again cars that cross 10 lac kms with proper scheduled maintenance. A 10 lac km run example was featured in TN maybe a year ago. The Innova 2.5 D4D would return approx 13-14 kmpl on highways.

Last edited by vigsom : 9th June 2021 at 08:55.
Old 9th June 2021, 15:24   #830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By the way, usage will not be much, as its majorly for highways and will hold the car for not more than 5-6years.
Do not make the mistake of buying a diesel if you're usage is not going to be much. As a rule of thumb, if you drive less than 15k kms a year, stick to petrol because whatever money you think you might be saving at fuel stops, is going on maintenance with Diesel cars wearing out their bushes, mounts and suspension faster (heavier nose), and the motors are generally more complicated than petrol ones. I have seen many people make the mistake of buying a diesel simply because they feel uncomfortable filling up petrol as often and at the current prices. They all eventually realise that there is no point being penny-wise and pound-foolish.

Go for a CRV, Accord, Camry or something of that nature.

If a diesel is a must have for you then go for the Yeti
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 22:20   #831
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
We have a primary family car which is a Tata Tiago XZA Petrol. It checks several of the boxes for us in terms of practicality, ease to drive by anyone in the family, low maintenance, etc. As the family is slightly grown, we are now looking for second car and here the confusion starts.
The options and your requirements do not match.

Option 1 & 2 - It may be a gamble - Coz a 10-11 years old diesel performance enthusiast car done only about 6K odo per year is the big catch.
In fact, I strongly recommend "no go" ''coz as much as it is fun and built well, VW/Skoda cars are not as much reliable for long term ownership. VAG's cars are prone to failure (especially electronics) and maintenance is a bomb.
However, if it's a very well-known source (Both the car and owner) - then you may take a call based on the condition of the car.

Option 3 - The looks are subjective. Toyota's generally are not driver enthusiasts cars and Etios is no exception. However, in terms of space, practicality, maintenance, ownership experience, value, and of course reliability - it's the best pick of your mentioned lot. However, I recommend you to look for a 2016 updated/refreshed model for the addition of features, looks, etc.

Option 4- since you need is good boot space I assume that calls for a car with enough space for your family as well. Thar as you mentioned is a different breed altogether - It more apt for offroad enthusiasts - and 4*2 Thar doesn't make sense at all as it doesn't suit the character of the breed. So on the practicality front, it takes a huge hit. So not an option to consider at all.

By all means - since your requirement is just for weekend getaways and occasional long drives, I also recommend you to consider a petrol model for a significant cost reduction upfront as well as in the long run. The following are some of my recommendations.
1. Honda City - Petrol
2. Renault Duster - Diesel
3. Honda BRV - Petrol (It's an underrated car)
4. Chevy Cruze - Diesel - Automatic/Manual - I recommend this only if you have access to a good, professional and trusted service centre.

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting the entire post when responding

Last edited by ampere : 14th June 2021 at 15:53.
Old 11th June 2021, 23:19   #832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
Option 1 & 2 - It may be a gamble - Coz a 10-11 years old diesel performance enthusiast car done only about 6K odo per year is the big catch.
In fact, I strongly recommend "no go" ''coz as much as it is fun and built well, VW/Skoda cars are not as much reliable for long term ownership. VAG's cars are prone to failure (especially electronics) and maintenance is a bomb.

The following are some of my recommendations.
1. Honda City - Petrol
2. Renault Duster - Diesel
3. Honda BRV - Petrol (It's an underrated car)
4. Chevy Cruze - Diesel - Automatic/Manual - I recommend this only if you have access to a good, professional and trusted service centre.
I find it odd that that you dissuade OP from VAGs, but are happy to recommend a Chevy Cruze, a product that isn't considered particularly reliable, of a company that has exited India, and one that has limited aftermarket parts support?

Another is the BRV, a strange inclusion for a thread for enthusiast vehicles. BRV is a boring car all around and does nothing particularly well.
Viraat13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 10:18   #833
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
I find it odd that that you dissuade OP from VAGs, but are happy to recommend a Chevy Cruze, a product that isn't considered particularly reliable, of a company that has exited India, and one that has limited aftermarket parts support?

Another is the BRV, a strange inclusion for a thread for enthusiast vehicles. BRV is a boring car all around and does nothing particularly well.
BRV is definitely not a driver's car. However it ticks all the boxes in terms of practicality, safety, space, maintenance and so on. I understand and believe that there is no car in the auto world since 1886, that ticks all the boxes. So always a compromise of some attributes, features and factors.

Yes it is true that Cruze is also not as much reliable as VAG brands. A couple of my friends own used Cruze and they say the overall cost of ownership is not expensive. And one among them recently sold one for approx 15%-20% depreciation after approx. 2 years of ownership. He bought it for around 8.5-9 lakhs - which I think is a good value. Well yes Cruze here is definitely a gamble - that is why it takes my last position of recommendation.
Old 14th June 2021, 15:40   #834

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Options 1 and 2 may be rejected right away as, prima facie, I find their odo readings suspect and they will be expensive to keep. Option 3 can be considered, but won't fulfill your criteria of power and boot space. The Thar will hold value very well but may not be your best bet.
Agree, after doing more research, I have dropped the Skoda brothers, Innova is too routine tourer is what I think. What about a Civic? Buy something at 3-3.5L and spend maybe 1L to restore/repair/customise? Is it a good option?

Quote:
Do not make the mistake of buying a diesel if you're usage is not going to be much. As a rule of thumb, if you drive less than 15k kms a year, stick to petrol because whatever money you think you might be saving at fuel stops, is going on maintenance with Diesel cars wearing out their bushes, mounts and suspension faster (heavier nose), and the motors are generally more complicated than petrol ones. I have seen many people make the mistake of buying a diesel simply because they feel uncomfortable filling up petrol as often and at the current prices. They all eventually realise that there is no point being penny-wise and pound-foolish.

Go for a CRV, Accord, Camry or something of that nature.

If a diesel is a must have for you then go for the Yeti
Diesel is not a must have, prefer that if it comes in a decent budget, or else Petrol is my choice. CRV and Accord sounds interesting, will check out. But how are they on maintenance costs?

Quote:
The options and your requirements do not match.
Thanks for the suggestions, eliminated Skoda brothers, Etios still is not a enthusiastic car, but only the 'Cross' marks a slight difference is what I see. Again, boot space is a compromise here.

Taking a friend's Thar for a slightly long drive this weekend to try it out, will have more thoughts on this based on how the experience would be

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting the entire post when responding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post

Yeah, for that matter I did not consider anything from Fiat and Ford for similar reason, whose spares are more easily accessible than the Chevy as per my understanding. I would stay away from Chevy.

Quote:
BRV is definitely not a driver's car. However it ticks all the boxes in terms of practicality, safety, space, maintenance and so on.
Maybe the BRV, but this opens up a wider category, how about the Lodgy? Which is more powerful and also has more space. Is it a good idea to invest on a less driven clean find?

Moderator’s note: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote button (QUOTE+) while quoting and replying to multiple posts at once. Thanks.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th June 2021 at 16:29. Reason: Please read the note posted above. Thanks.
Old 15th June 2021, 13:01   #835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Diesel is not a must have, prefer that if it comes in a decent budget, or else Petrol is my choice. CRV and Accord sounds interesting, will check out. But how are they on maintenance costs?
You will merely be polluting the planet extra and spending extra on maintenance with a diesel. If it is being used extensively then the maintenance costs are offset by the miles it will do otherwise it is pointless. Going by your budget I would recommend staying away from CKD and CBU models since even if they are reliable, parts cost would be high and 1 lac might not be enough to restore these cars in case you get a bad deal or there are unprecedented issues/replacements involved.

Quote:
Maybe the BRV, but this opens up a wider category, how about the Lodgy? Which is more powerful and also has more space. Is it a good idea to invest on a less driven clean find?
The BRV is possibly the most sensible option listed here I had the pleasure of sitting in one years back and it was quite the revelation. The ride and handling setup I found to be absolutely sublime. The low-ish centre of gravity, mature ride quality and light-footed feeling you get at the wheel are something that has to be felt to be believed. Never thought an MPV could drive so nicely. The fact that it was locally manufactured should help keep maintenance costs down and the fact that it was a sales flop should mean that you ought to find good examples for reasonable ammounts esaily.
Old 15th June 2021, 15:04   #836
BHPian

Quote:
The BRV is possibly the most sensible option listed here I had the pleasure of sitting in one years back and it was quite the revelation. The ride and handling setup I found to be absolutely sublime. The low-ish centre of gravity, mature ride quality and light-footed feeling you get at the wheel are something that has to be felt to be believed. Never thought an MPV could drive so nicely. The fact that it was locally manufactured should help keep maintenance costs down and the fact that it was a sales flop should mean that you ought to find good examples for reasonable amounts easily.
+1 to that. Own a BRV V CVT and can totally vouch for the strong fundamentals - IVTEC mated to smooth CVT, sharp steering , high GC (210 MM), good balance of ride and handling , good leg room in the 3rd row and even greater boot space with the 3rd row folded. Actually find it's narrow width a boon for driving in tight lanes in the city or in the hills. have taken up steep passes (in the hills) and cross country trips and it's reliable and a pleasure to drive. Keeps the driver and passengers happy.
Is it a driver's car - No ? But it's a great overall package , and much better than the Ertiga/XL6, Lodgy etc. out there.

It's a sleeper and being a sales flop (due to it's bland interiors and premium pricing - what was Honda thinking?), you should good get a deal. Problem will be finding a good specimen. For it didn't sell a lot, and those who did buy, will probably hold on to it as it certainly grows on you
Old 19th June 2021, 12:22   #837

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAIAAA View Post
+1 to that. Own a BRV V CVT and can totally vouch for the strong fundamentals - IVTEC mated to smooth CVT, sharp steering , high GC (210 MM), good balance of ride and handling , good leg room in the 3rd row and even greater boot space with the 3rd row folded. Actually find it's narrow width a boon for driving in tight lanes in the city or in the hills. have taken up steep passes (in the hills) and cross country trips and it's reliable and a pleasure to drive. Keeps the driver and passengers happy.
Is it a driver's car - No ? But it's a great overall package , and much better than the Ertiga/XL6, Lodgy etc. out there.

It's a sleeper and being a sales flop (due to it's bland interiors and premium pricing - what was Honda thinking?), you should good get a deal. Problem will be finding a good specimen. For it didn't sell a lot, and those who did buy, will probably hold on to it as it certainly grows on you

Got it, sounds sensible for the these reasons and also it has space to accommodate more than 5 passengers or utilise that space for carrying luggage on long trips. I see very few BRVs available on second hand market, and they are priced quite high, will try to be a little patient here.
Old 20th June 2021, 01:10   #838

Been looking at an ad for a Laura vrs for the past few days. The owner, is demanding around 6L, for a 2012, 100k run car. Can anyone guide me as to what a legitimate Price would be for the same?
Old 2nd July 2021, 13:55   #839

Quote:
Got it, sounds sensible for the these reasons and also it has space to accommodate more than 5 passengers or utilise that space for carrying luggage on long trips. I see very few BRVs available on second hand market, and they are priced quite high, will try to be a little patient here.
I have been searching for BRVs in second hand market and bumped into the below one's:

1. Honda City iDtec SV 2015, single owner and driven around 50000kms - priced at 6.5L
Considering its driven 50000kms, will it be heavy on maintenance? Is it a mod friendly enthusiast car?

2. Punto Evo Emotion of 2015, which is directly from a lady owner and driven just 12000kms, Its a diesel version - priced at 4.5L
Should I even consider Fiat considering their exit from India? Will sourcing parts and maintenance be a challenge?

3. Tata Aria Pride of 2011, driven around 80000kms second owner - priced at 5.5L
Its powerful, safe with 6 air bags, spacious and huge, but is the age of 10yrs and maintenance going to be a pain?

Any suggestions would be of great help
Old 2nd July 2021, 15:35   #840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushagra_29 View Post
Been looking at an ad for a Laura vrs for the past few days. The owner, is demanding around 6L, for a 2012, 100k run car. Can anyone guide me as to what a legitimate Price would be for the same?
First of all, thank you for trying to talk about an enthusiasts car here! Of late this thread is full of cars like Xcent, Lodgy, City iDTEC, BRV, and other yawn inducing vehicles that should not be discussed in a thread for enthusiasts cars.

The Laura vRS is a rare commodity and the asking prices are easily 2L more than a similar Laura TSI. I'm not sure that the premium makes sense at this point. The vRS does get a few extra bits (sport seats, body kit, sunroof, etc) but the power output is the same, and the only performance bit are the slightly stiffer springs. The sunroof also makes the vRS heavier by a 100 odd kilos IIRC so the out and out performance of the Laura TSI may be a few milliseconds better.

Unless you absolutely must have the vRS, consider the regular TSI. Many things from the vRS can be added to the regular variant at a later date except for the sunroof and seats (because they are hard to come by).
Viraat13 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed