Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2009, 11:20   #76
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the 5 star thread rating, guys.

First and foremost, I've made marginal price corrections to the opening cars (RS, W124 etc.) to bring it inline with regular prices (and not only rock bottom cars) and other cities (e.g. Pune etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
I can vouch for the OHC vtec price range but they are hard to find and harder still to get a good one with mileage left on it.
True. I've seen plenty of <3.0 lakh rupee OHC Vtecs, but finding a clean car is a challenge. Not impossible, but requires some good footwork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
What about the old corollas ? They are also pretty peppy & extremely mod friendly too.
The previous gen corolla was so boring to drive. Dead steering, average gearshift, engine that isn't exactly revv-happy and lacklustre handling.

Quote:
2001-2003 Accords certainly meet the bill at less than 6 lakhs.
Yeah, you can find those for 3 - 3.5 lakhs. But, we've already included the Accord V6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
How about adding the old Zen, the jellybean shape?
Good suggestion, will have it added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Could the Fiat Petra 1.6/1.9D find its place in this list?
The Petra is incredibly hard to find (near impossible). That's why it has been excluded. And in terms of sheer driving pleasure, the Palio as a hatch is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Nice thread but I dont agree with you on Accord V6.
It's got a monster of an engine. Yeah, the slushbox & the handling don't exploit the power of the engine. Yet, in a straight line, that car is F-A-S-T. Plus, while the handling isn't in the RS league at all, its not a sloppy car. In fact, the previous gen Accord is sharper than the currently sold Accord, and has excellent grip levels. For someone who wants a quick car, yet comfort + space, the V6 at 6.0 lakhs is high on bang for the buck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Actually the Palio 1.6 can still be bought new, can't it? And its under six lakhs too.
A brand new Palio 1.6 makes zero sense. Thanks to the high depreciation. But yes, I'll have this point added to the Palio post.

Last edited by GTO : 17th December 2009 at 11:21.
Old 17th December 2009, 11:28   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
One question, why isn't ZEN part of this?
I've driven some serious pocket rockets and i think this is one of the best starting projects which a petrol head could start with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
I have the same question here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Good suggestion, will have it added.
This means I would have both my cars listed under enthusiast's cars. Faaantastic! I do have taste that means

Thanks!
Old 17th December 2009, 11:29   #78
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-X5 View Post
How about good old MPFI esteems? "Rally Car of India"
When Baleno's start at 1.75 lakhs only, why buy an Esteem? The Baleno has way superior road manners, interior comfort and engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast_of_Burden View Post
A Honda V6 for under 10L, incredible!
One of the best used buys in the market today, Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I actually have been asking around for a clean well maintained Miata. It is a gem and highly desirable.
Good luck with your search, DKG. You know what the Miata taught me? That cars don't have to have 300 BHP to be fun to drive. The Miata is such a FTD machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
One car I would like to see on the list is the 90s BMW 3 series known as the E36. Lots of them came to India but most of them were petrol-4cyl-4d-sedans...either 316i or 318i. Although overshadowed by its more celebrated 6-cyl brothers the 4bangers are still known for BMW's legendary handling while providing adequate power (0-100kph in the 10-12 sec range). Pretty sure the prices are in the same bracket or maybe even lower.
Mpower, didn't add those only because of irregular supply. However, if you want to, feel free to edit my "imports" post and add the 3 series there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyC View Post
@GTO: Two cars most apt for this list...

- Honda CRV (Older generation)

- Toyota Corolla (2003-2005)

What say!
Corolla : Reasons given earlier by Nitrous, and in my previous post.

CRV? Will consider. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivn View Post
If I were to buy a sheer drivers car today in the used car market, I would go for a Honda Civic, though its above 6lakhs mark.
So true. Great drive, a currently sold model, space, reliability and excellent mod support. The Civic at 7 lakhs is a buy.

Quote:
Liked the fact that three Ford machines got featured in the list - The Mondeo, the Ikon and the Fiesta.
Euro-spec Fords are driving machines indeed. Now, when is Ford getting the Focus here

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
I am surprised you did not mention about the Peugeot 309.
Not only is the 309 a rare find, but it's hardly an enthusiasts drive.
Old 17th December 2009, 11:35   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Mercedes Benz W124 (E220 petrol / E250 diesel)

Attachment 246492

Prices we've seen : Rs. 3.0 - 5.5 lakhs
Availability : Good. Finding super clean cars difficult. After all, the newest W124 will still be atleast 12 years old

What you'll like:
  • A *real* Mercedes. Built like a tank and will last 3.0 - 4.0 lakh kilometers
  • E220 fast by even today's standards. 0 - 100 in 10 seconds (140 odd BHP)
  • Classic evergreen looks. Soon to be connoisseurs favorite
  • Your social status will take a boost, thanks to the three pointed star
  • Good ride, handling and brakes. Rear wheel drive layout
  • Mechanically simple & over-engineered. No fancy electronics. Reliability is strong. Relatively cheap parts
What you won't like:
  • The newest example you find will be atleast 12 years old. Old cars require varying levels of refurbishing
  • Some spares can run expensive. Body repairs will mean big $$$
  • E250 diesel is slow. 0 - 100 in a yawn inducing 16 seconds
  • Electronically limited 180 kph top speed
  • Poor urban fuel efficiency for the E220 (6.5 kpl). Diesel is fuel efficient though
The Diesel version is fast enough to beat many Sports Cars even when they are revving to the maximum. The Diesel version ca go Faster than 180 KMPH.
All these inferences are Personal Experiences.

Please STOP writing Tank as people buy this car then crash the car here & there; smash it through potholes & then complain that the car is damaged.
Old 17th December 2009, 11:37   #80
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan75 View Post
I'm sorry but how are the W124 and W126 on this list? Sure they were brilliant cars but in a Merc luxo barge kind of way.
Hey, in the Indian context, they are enthusiast cars. They are quick and have excellent road manners too. An enthusiast will end up spending all his free time marvelling at the sheer engineering brilliance in the ol' school simple Mercs. I'm an enthusiast and would love to own a 124 / 126 / 140 someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
One more thing that I'd like to add about the cons. Procurement and prices of the OEM parts are over the roof. Just enquire about a windsheild wiper switch at Southern motors. Can any one guess the price ?
Its about 3K.
Thanks for the point. Will have it added to the Lancer's post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
An used Maruti Swift Zxi certainly qualifies for this thread!
Will consider, Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Even if some RS is available @ <5 lacs. Would it be worth buying such an abused car ?
For 5 lakhs, you can get a very clean RS in Mumbai. Yes, the 3.5 - 4.25 lakh examples are abused. Always recommended to stretch as much as your budget allows, and go for the newest / lowest mileage one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
that we petrolheads do not even need to look at the new car market when it comes to buying an exciting car. There are amazing deals in the used market itself.
Totally, Dippy! I think I'm off new cars for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Great thread! I'll go with Dippy too. The Accord V6 . 221 horses for 6 lakhs. I have the same question here.
The V6 would look great in your garage, Rudra. You'll love the refinement, space and autobox convenience. Me thinks it suits your personality too. Let me know when you want to start hunting
Old 17th December 2009, 11:46   #81
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread GTO. Rating 5 stars.

But i would have liked Alto VX 1.1 and Zen 1.0 to be a part of this. The little Alto with 64bhp under the hood is a hoot to drive - coupled with sharp handling (with better rubber) definitly deserves a place here. I can tell you its a VERY under-rated car.

Last edited by DCEite : 17th December 2009 at 11:47.
Old 17th December 2009, 11:49   #82
Senior - BHPian

Forester

I think Forester has to be there in the list. Yes, it is bit underpowered by the benchmark set by sporty sedans (but still does 0-100 within 12 secs) but once you go past 2000 rpm, there are very fews cars that can match it's performance on the highways and ghats. Add to that the limited offroading abilities and it can teach a thing or two to even some of the more imposing looking SUVs.
Old 17th December 2009, 11:56   #83
Senior - BHPian

That's a great thread Rush, rating it as five star !!

Did I missed any of your comment about elantra regarding why you didn't included Elantra into the list ?? Elantra was for sure advertised as performance car in intital adverts.

How about a thread called "Pocket Rockets < 3 Lakh"
Old 17th December 2009, 12:04   #84
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan75 View Post
I'm sorry but how are the W124 and W126 on this list?
I remember when Honda launched a Legend in the Middle East we had testdriven the 5 series, the W124, a GS300 for comparison and I came away very impressed by the handling and balance of the W124. It is far from a barge and a very fine car. Its actually enjoyable to drive and a real surprise.

Someone mentioned that it shouldn't be referred to as a tank Older Mercs had a distinct feeling of being hewn from a solid block of steel. This was one of the last cars that gave that feel despite many years of use. It is one of the finest Mercs built in recent times.
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2009, 12:07   #85
Senior - BHPian

Rush, like Hotels, we now need a seven star rating for some threads

Excellent initiative to put this thread up, its just what the Doctor ordered for many an enthusiast (young or old) who wants a FTD car on a Budget. Concise information that should help firm up the purchasing decision pretty quick.

Some of the prices were real eye openers for me. I mean just imagine that Accord V6 - a song! Would have seriously considered one had it not been for that FE - with our running of 100+ kms in a day, I'd be out on the streets with a bowl pretty quick
Old 17th December 2009, 12:18   #86
BHPian

ah! lovely thread...

My palms are itching.. and am drooling over the vtec honda :-)...

- Rajesh
Old 17th December 2009, 12:22   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I think Forester has to be there in the list. Yes, it is bit underpowered by the benchmark set by sporty sedans (but still does 0-100 within 12 secs) but once you go past 2000 rpm, there are very fews cars that can match it's performance on the highways and ghats. Add to that the limited offroading abilities and it can teach a thing or two to even some of the more imposing looking SUVs.
Compared to the other cars, i think its very hard to find a Forester. The rest are there if you can find time to search. Also, I don't think there are too many cedia's for sale too, are they ?
Old 17th December 2009, 12:46   #88
Team-BHP Support

GTO,

What a brilliant thread! I love it! Great stuff! We can actually print this out and get it published or something!

However, there are a few questions I'd like to ask..

- Many have asked why the classic Zen hasn't been included and you've said that you'd add it. That would be great! But we've forgotten our beloved Esteem as well! It's also a Zuk and it's fantastic to drive. The rev happy G-B series engine is fuel efficient, powerful, great to modify and what's more, this car was used in our Rallies!

- You've said that the Mitsubishi Lancer Cedia is a great 'Handling' car. Now this brings me to this point. How? I have an old issue of CNBC Autocar with me and before anyone starts, I know I know.. Auto Journos are paid to be biased and all that.. Yes! But along with the Cedia, the Civic, the Octavia vRS, the City, the BMW 325i, Audi's TT and A4 3.0 were tested around the Sriperumbudur race track by Narian Karthikeyan. He was asked to rate every car on the track on the basis of (handling, performance, power.. etc) And the Cedia got a low 6/10 while the Civic, the Octavia vRS got 7/10 and 9/10 respectively! He had mentioned that the Cedia felt bouncy around the corners and wasn't a good handler! Could you explain please?
Old 17th December 2009, 12:55   #89
BHPian

Terrific thread GTO! Hurray for the W 126

A terrific, terrific, terrific thread, it has made my day GTO!

I am happy to see at least one very underrated car - the Mondeo - featured here. It had been one of my dream cars when it was introduced in India some six -seven odd years ago. One can see very few examples on the road, but almost all of them seem to be very well maintained.
The Baleno was another fine car, at a time when I was saving up to buy a good drivers' car.

Another car which interests me greatly is the W 126, possibly my favourite Merc, at least in terms of looks. Incidentally the W 126 was also positioned as a grand tourer, so I guess it isa drivers' car.

I will have to sell myself to own a W 124 or a W 140, so wouldn't really touch them with a barge pole!

Is there a thread on an ownership experience on the W 126?
Anyone who can shed some light on owning a second hand one?
Its performance, spares-service scenario, especially in Bombay?

Regards
Old 17th December 2009, 13:05   #90
Senior - BHPian

This thread encourages me in my search for my E220.

Hope to find one soon.

Most Viewed