Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2009, 18:06   #31
Senior - BHPian

Great thread GTO, something which many petrolheads would want to know.

Like others I would also suggest adding the Fiesta/Ikon 1.6 & Elantra.

Also the Palio 1.6 qualifies as new too as in one can get it brand new for way under 6L

The one that interests me most from the list is the Accord V6. Arent parts expensive?
Old 16th December 2009, 18:18   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Shouldn't the Civic and the Accord 2.4 also find a place here ?
Great suggestion, thanks. Civics will just about make it in 6 lakhs, will have the same added.

Quote:
And how about the Hyundais ? Elantra CRDi comes for around 4L.
Though it has a stonking engine, I don't see the Elantra as an enthusiasts car at all. But hey, if you like it, feel free to add it here

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Nice thread GTO. Can you add some of the used MUVs/SUVs we get in 5-8 lacs range. This will help lots of people who are interested in going in for utility vehicles.
Which MUV is an enthusiasts machine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Went through the prices and the minimum prices for the RS and the VTEC did surprise me a bit.
Seen atleast 3 RS for 3.5 lakhs in Bombay. 2 weren't sold even after a month on sale. The diesel sibling (Octavia 1.9 TDi) and the RS' fuel efficiency are doing their bit here. Good for us!

Quote:
Also why no BMW's along with the Merc's. Are they priced more than +lakhs or is it because of availability?
Supply is inconsistent and only imports.

Quote:
Is it possible to include prices of the various Lancer models also - the SFx and the Invecs 1.8 too?
Don't have it on hand, but feel free to add it to the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
You missed out the Ford Ikon 1.6,Maruti Suzuki Swift and Hyundai Elantra CRDi.
Ford Ikon & Elantra : Already clarified. Swift? Buy a new one! This thread is for used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
also can be added is the 1st gen camry and 1st gen accord for India both were 4bangers if i am not wrong.
Accord : Already got the V6. Camry I-4? Hardly an enthusiasts drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Also the Palio 1.6 qualifies as new too as in one can get it brand new for way under 6L
True. But unlike the Swift, a used Palio makes so much more sense. They are going dirt cheap! I believe Drifter just picked one up for 1.1 lakhs!

Quote:
The one that interests me most from the list is the Accord V6. Arent parts expensive?
Surely, low levels of localisation. But Techno, you really have to high-revv that V6 to know that the engines all about. Silky smooth.
Old 16th December 2009, 18:19   #33
BHPian

A thread after my own heart!

A thread after my own heart GTO! This could not have been timed better

A nice collection here. I dreamt of driving a few of these cars when in college.

I'm in the market to buy a used car in the range of 3-4.5 L and have been hunting a bit for the last week or so.

Narrowed down to an OHC (its either the thrill of a vtec or comfort of an AT). I'd gotten sorely side-tracked by a Corolla AT going for a basement bargain price but that didnt work out.

I can vouch for the OHC vtec price range but they are hard to find and harder still to get a good one with mileage left on it.

The RS is tempting but I need a reliable daily drive car and i'm not sure of a used RS on that count hence sticking mostly to OHC's.

Last edited by gomzi : 16th December 2009 at 18:27.
Old 16th December 2009, 18:26   #34
BHPian

Thats a good thread GTO. Great stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Honda Accord V6
Availability : Lots of V6' sitting on dealer lots
I'm surprised. But that definitely interests me. Maybe I should call Peninsular Honda.
Old 16th December 2009, 18:34   #35
Senior - BHPian

Excellent thread there GTO. I just voted it as a 5 star

This is one of a kind detailed and ' to the point ' No Nonsense thread on performance oriented cars available for the price mentioned.

No additions and no subtractions - the cars listed there are bang on !

And as mentioned if anyone feels free to add a car to this list they can alongwith a photo and some specs explaining the pros & cons.
Old 16th December 2009, 18:35   #36
Senior - BHPian

What about the old corollas ? They are also pretty peppy & extremely mod friendly too.

2001-2003 Accords certainly meet the bill at less than 6 lakhs.
Old 16th December 2009, 18:51   #37
BHPian

An addition to the list

How about adding the old Zen, the jellybean shape?

That was probably one of India's first few cult cars.

High revving and loads fun to drive and chuck around turns.

It never broke down either in all the 5 years I had it. They go for a song these days, a '98, '99 low mileage model goes for ~ Rs. 80K
Old 16th December 2009, 18:58   #38
Senior - BHPian

Awesome thread Rush! Wish i could add more than 5 stars. I think you covered most of the cars. Could the Fiat Petra 1.6/1.9D find its place in this list? Palio is mentioned but Petra in 2nd hand market is available at dirt cheap prices + you get a boot! Is Accent CRDI omitted because its prone to have problems after 75,000km?
Old 16th December 2009, 19:00   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice thread Rush! I feel the Ikon 1.6 needs a shout somewhere in there.
Old 16th December 2009, 19:07   #40
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant Thread. Now that used Fiesta & Cedia will be added - i think we more or less have everything covered.
Old 16th December 2009, 19:24   #41
Senior - BHPian

Great thread GTO. Brings back all the memories of true road burners.
I feel few vehicles are missing from the list. Read CEDIA.
Old 16th December 2009, 19:35   #42
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread but I dont agree with you on Accord V6. For all its engine power, the performance is heavily blunted by that dim witted autobox, the suspension is soft and the chassis itself isnt as stiff as the germans in the same segment.
As far as smoothness goes, a V6 from any manufacturer is bound to be smooth as it is literally built into it but I found the Accord V6 lacking in any sort of character at all. Its a car which goes from point A to B (mind you it has to be straight) fast. With an autobox and a suspension chassis combo like that, there is little fun to be had from this car.
Old 16th December 2009, 19:37   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Another addition from my side: Elantra CRDi

ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less-elantra.jpg
Prices:3.5lakhs to 6.5lakhs
Availablity: Low mileage cars difficult to find.

What you'll like:
  • Torquey CRDi engine offers very good performance.
  • High speed stability and relaxed nature make it a superb cruiser.
  • Flat and consistent high speed ride
  • Diesel economy
  • Loaded to the brim
  • Awesome Braking, though with a spongy feel.
What you won't like:
  • Stiff ride at low speeds
  • Un-Enthusiastic slow steering
  • Stiff leather seats
  • Korean car tag
Old 16th December 2009, 19:39   #44
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, adding some more cars based on your requests. However, just got off the phone with my broker. Civics start at 6.5 lakhs (after bargaining) and don't make the 6.0 lakh cut. We can probably revisit after 1 - 2 years to update this list.
Old 16th December 2009, 19:39   #45
Team-BHP Support

Great thread!!! There are a lot of petrolheads who just won't buy a new car and suffer the write down on depreciation costs. For them the pre-owned car market is just what the wet dreams are all about.

Some of these costs are amazing. They do not fail to surprise us. However, these being Mumbai prices it is understandable why they are so cheap. Unfortunately (again, it depends on the side of the fence you are in) the southern markets do not offer you such jaw dropping prices. Out here a car always has a very high premium as compared to prices elsewhere.

Amongst all these marvels showcased here in this thread it is the white W126 that makes me salivate. Mannnnn... only if I could get one at around 5-6L. Wow... That beauty is something that none others can match. It is one of those things you call timeless beauties. You can still get driven in (heck! you can even drive in yourself) to the portico of Taj and get down with an aloof air around you and will get a couple of bows more from the gateman.

All in all this thread is a really nice gift for the year end to all the petrolheads here.

P.S.: Just saw your last post after posting mine. This one is a great pointer to how the prices are so very different between Mumbai and here, down south. Last year, one of my colleagues was in the market to pick up a decent, used NHC. We hunted around for almost 3 months. The best deal we could find was a 3 year old NHC with 27000 kms on the clock and some light to medium scratch marks all around for 6.85 lakhs. Otherwise we found cars which were comparatively new but the owner wanted, just hear this one, 20000 less than his final on road price to absolutely pathetic cars (badly maintained, poor body condition, huge kms etc.) for 5.45 lakhs (that was the least). So we can not even think of a Civic for 6.5lakhs here.

That should be a pointer towards how different the prices are from region to region.

Last edited by Zappo : 16th December 2009 at 19:48.

Most Viewed