Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2009, 19:48   #46
Senior - BHPian

Yes Ford Ikon 1.6 deserve to be in this list. I have considered Baleno/Ikon/Palio when I was in the market for a car. Spent almost 3 months to find a clean car, fed up and went for a Sparky.

I would love to see Accent Viva CRDi in this list. Red viva still makes my head turn
Old 16th December 2009, 19:48   #47
BHPian

In Pune you will get the Ford ikon 1.6, 2000,2001,2002 model for around 1.5 lakh...
In fact at the senapati bapat road dealerrship i came across a rally modded ikon 1.6 for around 1.8 lakh... with black leather race seats and special suspension setup ( CLaimed )

Last edited by khan_sultan : 16th December 2009 at 20:05.
Old 16th December 2009, 19:56   #48
Senior - BHPian

Actually the Palio 1.6 can still be bought new, can't it? And its under six lakhs too.
Old 16th December 2009, 20:05   #49
BHPian

A good & informative thread here.

However, I would take the prices mentioned and finding good models for most cars listed within those prices with a pinch of salt, even in Mumbai. Smaller cities would make it even more difficult. Many of us have wished for, gone thru the pain of searching, giving up and being satisfied with a new car.

Also, such cars would have a tendancy of being driven 'not so sedately', so, finding a good clean car is an exercise in itself.

Not to forget, apart from the Marutis, OHC, Lancer .. most other cars like Mondeo, Mercs, Ikon or Palio 1.6 and others - you run a risk of not finding parts (they've been out of production for a while now, and the company would not be supporting). There comes an increased 'risk of parts' headache along with the cheap 'fun to drive' factor.

May be just me, but I would always want 'peace of mind' along with 'fun to drive'. The former shall always take priority over the latter.
Old 16th December 2009, 20:07   #50
BHPian

Excellent work GTO

How about good old MPFI esteems? "Rally Car of India"
Old 16th December 2009, 20:20   #51
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Update : The following cars have been added to the start of the thread

- Cedia
- Fiesta 1.6
- Ikon 1.6

BTW, this has got to be my first thread where the entire first page only has my posts! In fact, even the 1st post of the 2nd page is mine.
Old 16th December 2009, 20:24   #52
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
However, I would take the prices mentioned and finding good models for most cars listed within those prices with a pinch of salt, even in Mumbai.
Prices as seen in Mumbai. Please search the forum, you'll see several examples of BHPians who have bought these cars for in the same range (if not cheaper). Also, look up various classifieds (paper, online etc.). Sure, its not going to be easy and will involve a lot of research, footwork and hard bargaining. But hey, that's the fun part. Don't enjoy it? New cars always available.

Also, what I've given is a range. Sure, if you aren't able to find a RS for 3.5 lakhs, you will surely get several for 5.0 lakhs. The prices are accurate as of today in the Mumbai market.

Disclaimer added to the first post:

Quote:
Prices as seen in Mumbai. While Delhi may be in the whereabouts (or cheaper), rates down South will surely be higher

Last edited by GTO : 16th December 2009 at 20:27.
Old 16th December 2009, 21:02   #53
BHPian

Great Thread.
Now suddenly I want to buy all the cars listed by GTO specially Palio 1.6.
Old 16th December 2009, 21:52   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Honda Accord V6

Attachment 246494

Prices we've seen : Rs. 5.50 - 10.00 lakhs
Availability : Good. Lots of V6' sitting on dealer lots

What you'll like:
  • A jewel of a 3.0 liter 221 BHP 6 cylinder revv-happy engine. High on refinement too
  • Fast acceleration. Absolutely wild mid-range
  • Super Honda reliability. Built to last
  • Spacious interiors. More room than the Mercedes E-Class
  • Automatic gearbox is a boon within the city
  • Relatively fresh. 2 - 5 year old examples available
What you won't like:
  • 5.0 - 6.0 kpl in the city. There is a reason these cars go cheap
  • No manual gearbox option available
  • FWD layout. Lacks handling finesse of the Europeans
That is one hell of an engine. I had the pleasure of owning a 2000 Accord 3.0 V6 for nearly 50k miles, the engine was just as good when I finally sold it at 100k miles. The Vtec kicks in at 3500 rpm, and then the engine goes berserk but in the most refined fashion. Unfortunately, there was nothing razor sharp about its handling or its steering, Honda played it safe(the Acura TL provided these missing ingredients for barely a few thousands more).

The gearbox on these 3.0 V6 Accords is known to be unreliable(I am betting the issue has been fixed) but not a big deal really considering Honda has such excellent customer service. A Honda V6 for under 10L, incredible!
Old 16th December 2009, 22:12   #55
DKG
Senior - BHPian

I actually have been asking around for a clean well maintained Miata. It is a gem and highly desirable.

Great thread GTO, I'm sure so many here already own these fine machines !!
Old 16th December 2009, 22:18   #56
Senior - BHPian

great topic. I can see myself in at least 3-4 of these beauties instead of buying a 20L D-seg car.

One car I would like to see on the list is the 90s BMW 3 series known as the E36. Lots of them came to India but most of them were petrol-4cyl-4d-sedans...either 316i or 318i. Although overshadowed by its more celebrated 6-cyl brothers the 4bangers are still known for BMW's legendary handling while providing adequate power (0-100kph in the 10-12 sec range). Pretty sure the prices are in the same bracket or maybe even lower.
Old 16th December 2009, 22:20   #57
BHPian

@GTO: Two cars most apt for this list...

- Honda CRV (Older generation)

- Toyota Corolla (2003-2005)

What say!
Old 16th December 2009, 22:23   #58
BHPian

Brilliant thread.
Given a chance - I will take the Mondeo, always loved it in black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Civics start at 6.5 lakhs (after bargaining) and don't make the 6.0 lakh cut. We can probably revisit after 1 - 2 years to update this list.
Havoooooooooooo......................
Old 16th December 2009, 22:36   #59
BHPian

Fantastic thread GTO. Really useful for young guys who are dreaming about their 1st car to be a sheer performance car.

If I were to buy a sheer drivers car today in the used car market, I would go for a Honda Civic, though its above 6lakhs mark.

Liked the fact that three Ford machines got featured in the list - The Mondeo, the Ikon and the Fiesta.
Old 16th December 2009, 22:53   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_L
What about the old corollas ? They are also pretty peppy & extremely mod friendly too.
I beg to differ.
Its pretty much a new gen toyota = A->B commuter.
Can't handle well. Not much steering feel. Engine is not a revv machine.
It does have good brakes and a lot of mods available abroad.
If it was a enthusiast's car, why haven't we seen one on here modded ? (We enthusiasts don't care for body kits and projector halogen lamps )

PS: Perhaps you should pick one up to mod.

Most Viewed