Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2009, 22:59   #61
BHPian

I am surprised you did not mention about the Peugeot 309. It was sold in India for a short while. I doubt if any of those are still available in the used car market.
Also the Premier 118 NE. I am not sure of the power of this vehicle, but it sure was really comfortable for long trips during the old days. These would also be rare to find.
Old 16th December 2009, 23:13   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-X5 View Post
Excellent work GTO

How about good old MPFI esteems? "Rally Car of India"
+1 to it. I feel that the Esteem deserves to be on this list too.
Old 16th December 2009, 23:26   #63
Senior - BHPian

Hey GTO!
Brilliant thread!
One question, why isn't ZEN part of this?
I've driven some serious pocket rockets and i think this is one of the best starting projects which a petrol head could start with.
Anyway, a fantastic thread.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 16th December 2009, 23:41   #64
BHPian

Super thread GTO. Wish I had all of them in my garage.

Time to work hard now. This thread is surely a motivator.
Old 16th December 2009, 23:46   #65
BHPian

A great work GTo..and i think we can add safaris 4*4 and scorpios in this list which will easily under 6lakhs.And i hope 2007 model verna too will catch up with this list..regards
Old 16th December 2009, 23:58   #66
BHPian

I'm sorry but how are the W124 and W126 on this list? Sure they were brilliant cars but in a Merc luxo barge kind of way. Those aren't cars that one typically associates with "driving" enthusiasts. Having owned one, I'd rather have the excellent W201 on this list. Prices are well under 10L.

I just bought a used Grande Punto for a shade over 4.5L and while it might not have the outright performance to match some of the hotter hatches in India (Palio GTX etc.), it sure can go around the bends, so that's my second nomination for inclusion on the list.

The third one, which has already been mentioned a couple of times, is the first hot hatch in India, the Zen. Prices are almost rock bottom and for anyone looking at buying a first car for themselves or their child, the Zen is miles better than a lot of other new and used cars in that range.
Old 17th December 2009, 09:05   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent thread!

Can I boast that 2 of my cars are in the list (Ikon is a 1.3 though and I've just booked a Fiesta 1.6)?

The Ikon 1.3 Rocam (Called Flair from 2003) is a decent balance between power and mileage. Lots of them available in the market. But does is meet the thread title is a question the enthusiast should answer
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2009, 09:40   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Mitsubishi Lancer

What you'll like:
  • Mod-friendly nature & excellent after-market support. Mivec engines anyone?
  • Superb handling and suspension. A satisfying drive
  • Refined engine offers decent performance & driveability
  • Stunning looks (even today). Easily one of the best looking C segmenters sold here
  • Japanese reliability. A trouble-free car
  • Excellent steering. Deserves special mention
  • Suitably equipped for its time. Drivers seat height adjustment, tilt steering etc.
What you won't like:
  • Lacks the outright performance of the OHC Vtec
  • Localisation (from 2003 onward) lead to compromises in fit and finish
I'm happy to own atleast one of the listed cars. One more thing that I'd like to add about the cons. Procurement and prices of the OEM parts are over the roof. Just enquire about a windsheild wiper switch at Southern motors. Can any one guess the price ?
Its about 3K.
Old 17th December 2009, 09:42   #69
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

An used Maruti Swift Zxi certainly qualifies for this thread! Say about 4.5-5 lacs price range for a year or two year old Zxi. All the safety nets and other bells and whistles plus the advantage of recent, good quality technology at a nice price!

Bonuses are nice fat tyres, good alloys, lovely handling, brilliant chassis, super response and what fun to drive in the plain or the hills!!

If only Maruti would bring in the 1.6 engine Swift Sport and put the price at about 7.5 lacs on road, it would be LOVERLY!!!

and then, two years down, the same car in the used market would fetch a happy 5 lacs-5.5 lacs and will surely be a blast as compared to some wheezy, underpowered, gutless geezer that might otherwise be available at similar prices!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 17th December 2009 at 09:44.
Old 17th December 2009, 09:44   #70
Senior - BHPian

I could see many of them suggesting cars which are under 6L, but not performance oriented.
Guys, this thread is a pointer to only performance cars below the price available in the market. Pls suggest only those.
My intention is not to hurt anyone, but to remind the fact.
Old 17th December 2009, 10:01   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Guys, this thread is a pointer to only performance cars below the price available in the market. Pls suggest only those.
I know what you mean but I think you're a bit mistaken. Enthusiast cars aren't just about performance but rather the entire package. Some candidates on the list have the outright performance to beat bigger cars while others are on the list not for their speed in a straight line but their driving dynamics. Case in point - my gen1 Miata has a measly 130hp but is an absolute hoot to drive on mountain and country roads.
If this was just about straight line performance, everyone would be better off slapping a turbo engine under the hood.
Old 17th December 2009, 10:02   #72
Senior - BHPian

Great thread , Rush !

All the cars mentioned are driver's delight but frankly i wasn't aware that few of these are available in that price range.

Even if some RS is available @ <5 lacs. Would it be worth buying such an abused car ?
Old 17th December 2009, 10:25   #73
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic thread GTO. Just going through this thread makes us feel that we petrolheads do not even need to look at the new car market when it comes to buying an exciting car. There are amazing deals in the used market itself.

Its simple - Buy a car for less and then spend some dough modding it

My pick of the lot? The Accord V6 . 221 horses for 6 lakhs. I care two hoots about FE

* 5 star rating.
Old 17th December 2009, 10:25   #74
BHPian

Great topic GTO, very informative and very useful. However what i feel, there are two type of enthusiast, one that likes to spin, drag and go fast, modify the car, show off ICE, alloys & body kits and what not, and the other one is absolute tourer, the one who loves being on highway all the time and touring long distances.

So for the second type of enthu, i think there few more cars in market other than what you have mentioned, which are available right from 3 lacs to 6 lacs and are strong contender as great tourer. like Corola, Civic, Safari, Innova, Cedia, Scorpio & Bolero etc. What say?
Old 17th December 2009, 11:09   #75
Team-BHP Support

Great thread! I'll go with Dippy too. The Accord V6 . 221 horses for 6 lakhs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
One question, why isn't ZEN part of this?
I have the same question here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks