Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2009, 15:05   #106
BHPian

I would love to have Contessa Classic 1.8 one day for its pure muscle car looks. I wonder if there would be any available piece in good shape in the used car market. I found only one in bangalore after searching on carwale.com. Its a very rare car now I think.
Old 17th December 2009, 15:06   #107
BHPian

Nice thread. Glad I got a 2006 Baleno recently. Thinking of an Accord now. :-) And the older CRV is a pleasure to drive. Should be in the list.
Old 17th December 2009, 15:33   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
*Update* : Based on popular demand, the Zen has been added to the list of cars. Check 1st post on page 2
woohoo! Most excellent GTO.

The Zen makes a great thread more complete

******* - 7-stars, since I can officially give 5 only
Old 17th December 2009, 15:46   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
I havent driven the Chevy SRV or the Ford fusion, dont know a lot about them, but can they be considered in the list?
SRV Drive is generally considered little underwhelming but Fusion definitely a fun to drive car. It is essentially a taller sitting Fiesta with more stifferend suspension to cope with the body rolling.
Old 17th December 2009, 15:55   #110
Senior - BHPian

Lovely list. I will agree with most of the things being said here. I am humbled that you chose my mondeo's picture to be included. I recently sold the car for 2.5 lakhs. So trust me its all about finding the right deal. Mostly enthusiast cars are sold for cheap rates here, and then there is a question of availability as well. But all in all a fantastic list. And the Mondeo is still my favorite car out of the list.
Old 17th December 2009, 15:56   #111
BHPian

great thread..especially for those who are in the market for a used car.
Although the palio has been included how abt including the petra 1.6 too.
I baught a used one..enjoyed it for a couple of years.most satisfying to drive.
Even the NHC vtec can be had for around 6lacs.
Old 17th December 2009, 15:58   #112
BHPian

Great thread GTO...5 stars

I had owned one of the cars in the list, though in a different avatar (Palio 1.9D) and also an Elantra CRDi for a short while.

My urge to find and own a good W124 E250D is increasing by the day, it would be heart over head if I end up buying one.

Would the SS80 DX find a place here, though am not too sure about the driving dynamics of the car?

Last edited by basilmabraham : 17th December 2009 at 16:01.
Old 17th December 2009, 16:08   #113
Team-BHP Support

Nice thread, Rush.

When i first read it, i found the Ikon 1.6 missing, and wanted to point that out. However, a lot of the other members also felt so, and good to see its been included.

From the list complied, i would love to own the Mondeo or the W124 someday. For the time being however, i shall remain content with the little Ikon.

My suggestions to the thread would include the Esteem, which i feel offers a lot with its engine, and light weight. Should definitely be fun.
Old 17th December 2009, 16:56   #114
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post
The Diesel version is fast enough to beat many Sports Cars even when they are revving to the maximum.
Umm, with a zero to 100 of 16 seconds, and only 115 BHP (?) to move that mass, I'd love to know which sports cars the E250 D can beat. Leave sportcars aside, most of the other regular cars on this list (OHC, Baleno, Palio 1.6) will run circles around a E250D. Its fuel efficient yes, has good driveability yes, is durable yes, but the E250 D is NOT a scorcher. Sorry.

Quote:
Please STOP writing Tank as people buy this car then crash the car here & there; smash it through potholes & then complain that the car is damaged.
Hey, the stupidity of some people cannot stop us from writing what we really feel about the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
But i would have liked Alto VX 1.1 and Zen 1.0 to be a part of this.
Zen added. Will ponder over the Alto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I think Forester has to be there in the list.
The Forester is difficult to find. But so are some other cars on the list. Sure, I'll have the Forester added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
How about a thread called "Pocket Rockets < 3 Lakh"
Neat thread idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I came away very impressed by the handling and balance of the W124. It is far from a barge and a very fine car. Its actually enjoyable to drive and a real surprise.
So true, DKG. The 124s are surprisingly agile, by Mercedes standards of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Excellent initiative to put this thread up, its just what the Doctor ordered for many an enthusiast (young or old) who wants a FTD car on a Budget. Concise information that should help firm up the purchasing decision pretty quick.
Thanks!

Quote:
I mean just imagine that Accord V6 - a song! Would have seriously considered one had it not been for that FE - with our running of 100+ kms in a day, I'd be out on the streets with a bowl pretty quick
The reason that most of the cars on this list go cheap (RS, E220, Palio 1.6 etc.) boils down to their poor fuel efficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
What a brilliant thread! I love it! Great stuff! We can actually print this out and get it published or something!
Why print? Let us set the standards for the print industry (and not vice versa).

Quote:
You've said that the Mitsubishi Lancer Cedia is a great 'Handling' car. Now this brings me to this point.
It has been mentioned in the negatives of the Cedia that HM tuned the car for comfort rather than outright handling prowess. Thus, its gone soft. However, even in stock tune, its a delight to drive. And stiffer performance suspensions are available aplenty (bolt-on too). The Cedia has excellent after-market support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
I will have to sell myself to own a W 124 or a W 140, so wouldn't really touch them with a barge pole!
Agreed on the W140, but you'd be surprised how cheap a W124 can work out to own. As long as you find a clean car, some consumables are cheaper than that of C segment cars. It's regarded as a workhorse in some other countries, remember?

Of course, if a major part fails, that will be expensive to fix.
Old 17th December 2009, 17:29   #115
Senior - BHPian

excellent

after adding Zen to list, i own a car which is in the list. Feels so good

excellent thread GTO.

Very much impressed by the W140 Mercedes S-Class import. Especially the line "you feel like 80 KMPH at 200 KMPH". I desperately want to sit in one and feel it.

i wish some day i shall own one
Old 17th December 2009, 17:31   #116
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
The "ZEN" needs to be here, it is the true Indian HotRod, given the sheer number of swaps and enthusiasts who still ogle after it.

PS: funnily enough it would still give a solid run for the money against the other cars mentioned here with a swap and a bit of forced induction .
We've taken the tuner's word for it . Has been added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Your threads on second hand cars have always been excellent GTO.
Thanks. Just wanted to illustrate that you don't need to blow big $$$ for a fun-to-drive car. Give me any of these cars and I'll have an absolute blast!

Quote:
In the last one year or so, I have developed a strong belief in used cars and have personally bought two cedia in last six months, one for my self and the other one for a cousin. The belief offcourse becomes stronger each time I see my cousin's 10 years old lancer ripping the road without any trouble. It also feels good to see well maintained OHCs. Great cars.
Well said.

Quote:
I havent driven the Chevy SRV
Not only is the SRV hard to find (flop model), but its rather lacklustre to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post
All said and done, I'm sure the civic could be added to the list cuz I'v seen end 2006 1.8S manual variants go for as low as 6 lacs or thereabouts.Plus, Honda reliability and the snob value in a Honda-obsessed nation make it well worth the dosh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Nope, you just need to wait for 2010 to begin. Let January end and you will surely find a 2006 50-60k done Civic for 6.00 to 6.25ish.
What a used buy the Civic will be. Best part is, the Civic is also exceedingly mod-friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
The list mises out of the Swift and on SUV options - Maybe another thread someday by you.
Thanks for the suggestion. Seeing good Swifts exchange hands for 3.0 lakhs or less. Will consider adding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
But what about Esteem?
Lightweight with peppy engine and cheap to run!
Added to the shortlist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
Surprised that the opel corsa sail 1.6 is not in the list.

Also the Fiat Uno Petrol 1.6 was a fun car to drive

The Skoda octavia 1.8 tpi too is a great car to buy.
Corsa Sail + Uno petrol = Hardly fun to drive. Octavia 1.8 TPi? Why bother when you can get an RS (with far more kit) for not much more $$$?

And when was the Uno sold with a 1.6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I sold my fully loaded automatic one for 4 lakhs ! It made my heart bleed to let it go for such a small amount but who can argue the market !
Substantial car for the rupee equivalent of a Hyundai Santro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atul-C View Post
I would love to have Contessa Classic 1.8 one day for its pure muscle car looks. I wonder if there would be any available piece in good shape in the used car market. I found only one in bangalore after searching on carwale.com. Its a very rare car now I think.
Make sure to touch base with Moderator "Aditya". As a long-time Contessa owner, he is the onboard expert on all things Conti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
And the older CRV is a pleasure to drive. Should be in the list.
Will check if ol' CRVs are available for <6 lakhs
Old 17th December 2009, 17:46   #117
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Lovely list. I will agree with most of the things being said here. I am humbled that you chose my mondeo's picture to be included.
Your Mondeo was amongst the best looking examples on the forum! Didn't need to think too much while sifting through the pics.

Quote:
I recently sold the car for 2.5 lakhs. So trust me its all about finding the right deal.
A little more than the onroad price of a top loaded Tata Nano? I'll be damned. I've seen some really *great* Mondeos for 3.5 lakhs. A steal at the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
Although the palio has been included how abt including the petra 1.6 too.
The Petra is near impossible to find. Plus, the Palio 1.6 is a better handler.

Quote:
Even the NHC vtec can be had for around 6lacs.
True. But the NHC Vtec is hardly a fun car to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
Would the SS80 DX find a place here, though am not too sure about the driving dynamics of the car?
A *classic* in the Indian context, though I don't suppose it fits into the theme of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
From the list complied, i would love to own the Mondeo or the W124 someday.
Nows the time, Benny. Pick one up before they become extinct, and all the available examples are too old.

Quote:
My suggestions to the thread would include the Esteem, which i feel offers a lot with its engine, and light weight. Should definitely be fun.
Will add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Very much impressed by the W140 Mercedes S-Class import. Especially the line "you feel like 80 KMPH at 200 KMPH". I desperately want to sit in one and feel it.
Well, if you can convince Speedy to give you a ride in his mega S600 V12 Link to his detailed ownership thread
Old 17th December 2009, 18:05   #118
BHPian

GTO, You are absolutely right. The W124 is a Big Car. Infact so Big that the other smaller cars on this list will run around in Circles for taking a U Turn.

The Chevrolet SRV is a Great Car to drive.

The Alto VXi 1.1 is also a Great Car.
Old 17th December 2009, 18:30   #119
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Man, to be honest, after compiling this thread for you guys, the thread starter is himself tempted to do a lateral upgrade. Sell the OHC Vtec, put in a couple of lakhs and buy a used Civic / RS. Hmmmmmmmm....

While researching for this thread, seeing some prices on the RS & Civic made my mouth water. But then, the OHC Vtec is serving me so well. Will be a tough decision. Best to sleep on it. If I do go ahead, this will turn out to be a thread that cost me $$$
Old 17th December 2009, 18:39   #120
BHPian

i love this thread GTO, very well written!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks