Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2009, 16:36   #166
BHPian

GTO, i would love the mercs myself but from what i have seen on the road they are not properly maintained and are just looking too old. what i mean is that cars had lost its charm! but i can bet that a properly maintained merc would look so awesome!! and it would have its own aura of grandeur! but its like finding needles in a haystack and one should know your Mercs very well to actually go out and get yourself one!

but JAY -z (hip-hop artist) had an old merc S- class i think so. (check out death to auto-tune video)! and it looks old skool and at the same time awesome!

on my other picks would be the like this priority wise, lets face it guys fuel economy goes to toss! when we talk about petrol head cars! and lets not be concerned about it! whats the next concern is the spare parts and services!

my picks,

1) fiesta,1.6 for absolute driving pleasure!, ford because you can gel with the crowd and this car even if its old would not look old as shape and basic model, engine, are the same! so if you wanna gel with the crowd and you wanna buy something still "in thing" fiesta will never let you down i think!

2)ACCORD V6, for bling looks, snob value @ vfm. and the no. of ponies/money spent ratio i prefer black or white!!

3) A RED VRS with spyder ALLOYS!! oh man, one day it came beside me at a signal! i was like... what model of skoda was this! then it hit me this is the red vrs that everyone talks about in the team-bhp. wow! it looks so hot! especially in red! if you give it a clean bath and shine it!

i wanted to know the prices of sonata embera! and toyota corolla(with airbags and abs) i know elantra GLS petrol is also available for 4.00-4.5 lacs( my friend got one)!! and i love it! these are not "petrol head cars" but good workhorses! which can serve you well for a good amount of time!

Last edited by Caramelo : 19th December 2009 at 16:48.
Old 19th December 2009, 20:24   #167
BANNED

I guess the most powerful hatchback ever made in india has been sorely missed out in the list
Hyundai Getz INTERCOOLED BI TURBO v12 CRDi
Old 19th December 2009, 22:09   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeff View Post
Don't think the Safari falls under the Enthusiast cars categories. Not the older ones definitely.
I dont think the new one falls under the enthusiast cars category either.
Old 20th December 2009, 00:29   #169
BHPian

Great Thread Once Again . Gives an idea to car enthusiasts as to what cars to look for(around 6L).
My pick would be Honda Accord V6(for its looks and the number of horses u get for 6L) and in the classic category it would be W126(timeless beauty).
Old 20th December 2009, 01:49   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchist View Post
GTO I suppose the Getz CRDi would qualify for this thread, now that it is no longer in production, I'm sure you agree that its a hoot to drive.
+1 to that!

During sunset, the car was out for 5.61L on-road Chennai. Now that it is no longer there on the shelf, the resale wont be much - but finding someone who is willing to part with it would be difficult! And 110 BHP, 94 BHP per tonne... see what I am saying?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunkyfydex View Post
I guess the most powerful hatchback ever made in india has been sorely missed out in the list
Hyundai Getz INTERCOOLED BI TURBO v12 CRDi
BI TURBO v12??!!

It was Inline-4 with a VGT Turbo, 4 valves per cylinder...
Old 20th December 2009, 10:59   #171
Senior - BHPian

wow what a superb thread GTO. My pick would be honda accord, But doubtly it could be available within that budget.
Old 20th December 2009, 11:03   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
But doubtly it could be available within that budget.
what do mean? accords are available for even lower than the 6 lakhs to 10 lakhs bracket mentioned by GTO
Old 20th December 2009, 11:42   #173
BHPian

How about hyundai elantra CRDi and hyundai getz CRDi? lol even Verna Crdi available for 6 lakh.
Old 20th December 2009, 12:33   #174
BHPian

GTO, how could some one forget the Accent CRDi's.. It was one enthusiastic drivers car.Good pickup and cool torque.It would be obviously under 6 lakhs for sure.
Old 20th December 2009, 23:42   #175
Team-BHP Support

We just bought a 2003 end 1st gen accord (2.3 vti L). Immaculate condition with 50 kms on the odo. its been two weeks with the car and its absolutely fantastic - mint condition and the engine purrs like its new. I plan to keep it for at least 4 years and another 50,000 kms and I'm sure it'll last that out fairly comfortably.

I'm quite sold on the idea of regularly having one 2nd hand high performance car in the garage in addition to the regular ride.
Old 21st December 2009, 12:03   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
We just bought a 2003 end 1st gen accord (2.3 vti L). Immaculate condition with 50 kms on the odo.
That is one low mileage car you've got

I'm kidding. First gen Accords are extremely underrated so I'm sure you got a great deal.
Old 21st December 2009, 12:11   #177
GTO
Team-BHP Support

*Update* : The Swift has been added to the list. With prices starting at 2.75 lakhs, great looks, driver-oriented handling and a mod-friendly nature, it was inevitable. I think the Swift is a great used enthusiast buy. And one that costs lesser than a new Alto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Told you this thread would turn out expensive . Vtec put up in the classifieds Linky
Or how about if I sell off the boring Indigo instead? I don't want to expand my garage to more than 4 cars. Period. Between the Indigo and the Vtec, what would one sell? . Took her out on the open road yesterday, was a delight to high-revv, came back from lunch, parked next to the Indigo and went "hmmmm".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
but its like finding needles in a haystack and one should know your Mercs very well to actually go out and get yourself one!
Well said, Caramelo. Finding a clean 126 or 140 is indeed akin to a needle in a haystack. Not impossible though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
We just bought a 2003 end 1st gen accord (2.3 vti L). Immaculate condition with 50 kms on the odo. its been two weeks with the car and its absolutely fantastic - mint condition and the engine purrs like its new. I plan to keep it for at least 4 years and another 50,000 kms and I'm sure it'll last that out fairly comfortably.
Congrats on a sensible buy! That Accord will serve you well for a long time to come. If you don't mind sharing, and for the benefit of others, how much did you pay for the car?

Quote:
I'm quite sold on the idea of regularly having one 2nd hand high performance car in the garage in addition to the regular ride.
I'm sure most people will be after reading this thread
Old 21st December 2009, 12:34   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amith.2974 View Post
what do mean? accords are available for even lower than the 6 lakhs to 10 lakhs bracket mentioned by GTO
I heard yesterday(when I mentioned this thread to a cousin) that someone in our family bought a 3 year old Accord V6 for ~11L with less than 20k kms, here in Hyderabad.

So, the pricing for a slightly older Accord or a car with more mileage will definitely be below 10L. I am inclined to think the 6-10L range is realistic. The 6L upper limit will ultimately prove to be too limiting, but the value even around 10L for a clean example is undeniable.
Old 21st December 2009, 13:46   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast_of_Burden View Post
I heard yesterday(when I mentioned this thread to a cousin) that someone in our family bought a 3 year old Accord V6 for ~11L with less than 20k kms, here in Hyderabad.

So, the pricing for a slightly older Accord or a car with more mileage will definitely be below 10L. I am inclined to think the 6-10L range is realistic. The 6L upper limit will ultimately prove to be too limiting, but the value even around 10L for a clean example is undeniable.
it clearly depends upon the condition of the CAR! it could be scratchless and less driven! then 10l is not a bad price i think!

what happened to the sonata embera anyone has idea about prices?!! even the sonata transform will get replaced by the latest sonata YF!! (accord get ready for some headaches)

Last edited by Caramelo : 21st December 2009 at 13:48.
Old 21st December 2009, 13:58   #180
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Have in mid 2009 come across many Accord V6 in the range of 6-8L for model years 2004-2006 in mumbai. So thats definately doable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks