Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2012, 13:49   #451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk

Not a good base for mods, the fiesta.Even trying out alloys will give you a headache.
If you want to enjoy wonderment in a stock car, then yes.

Otherwise, go for a honda.
I don't mean for Stage II. He's looking for Stage I. FFE, CAI, maybe a remap. The fiesta is good for those. Also when someone says Mods I jump to engine Mods and not engine + cosmetic. That's why that response. I honestly don't know how hard it is to get alloys for the fiesta.
Old 21st September 2012, 14:24   #452
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
I don't mean for Stage II. He's looking for Stage I. FFE, CAI, maybe a remap. The fiesta is good for those. Also when someone says Mods I jump to engine Mods and not engine + cosmetic. That's why that response. I honestly don't know how hard it is to get alloys for the fiesta.
That was a Case in point.
Meaning, even ots stuff like alloys is a problem. If you get down to any kind of tinkering under the hood, getting things is painfully impossible(Except for suspension and motors/fans and other things which are also shared and OTS.). not jumping. well aware of the stages.

A more focused example is what I faced when I busted up and intake hose when i was doing DIY intakes(terrible business), and not even kashmere gate stocked the hose.
Eventually patched up the old hose to use till a fellow bhpian voided the pain of getting an intake made.
Old 22nd September 2012, 14:13   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jacob13128 View Post
@ 13thpsycho,

The Fiesta1.6S would the perfect upgrade for you. One can get a good deal, but not sure if you can land the Aquarius blue. Also mayankk pointed out it won’t be great for mods as 1. The stock car in itself is great and 2. It will be a headache to do cosmetic or performance.
It truly is the best this side of the Beemer.
Thank you sir. I was unaware of the fact that modding a Fiesta would be a problem. It goes out of the list straight away then. Why is there a problem with the cosmetic upgrades? mostly its just an add on skirting or a complete new bumper, is there a problem if one gets custom made upgrades?what if I plan a suspension upgrade then, would the civic/accord be a better car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Not a good base for mods, the fiesta.Even trying out alloys will give you a headache.
If you want to enjoy wonderment in a stock car, then yes.

Otherwise, go for a honda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
A more focused example is what I faced when I busted up and intake hose when i was doing DIY intakes(terrible business), and not even kashmere gate stocked the hose.
Eventually patched up the old hose to use till a fellow bhpian voided the pain of getting an intake made.
Thanks Mayankk, I think I should not consider a Fiesta anymore, as it is I didnt like the looks of the car so much and you have given me another reason to bank on that decision. I will be terribly disappointed if I cannot source a good set of alloys for the car. I wanted a fatter set of rubber. Anyway its out of the list now. Which Honda would you suggest out of the two? And SUV, if you would prefer any?

Quote:
Accord V6 - Gem of an engine, really powerful, but the car itself is bulky and soft. Needs harder suspension and lightening. Maintenance is little lower than other cars of its segment. Can not be compared to Civics or Fiestas.

Honda Civic - Good car, soft suspension, not very expensive to maintain.

Polo 1.6 - Really good looker, but the engine is a Commuter, dont know how much you can get out of it.

Pajero - ???????????? Good Comfortable, Soft, Body Rolly(is this a word?), heavy, bulky, slow SUV.

P.S. - I would also suggest you to look into the OHC Vtec. Except for alot of features, its a really good enthusiasts car with quite low maintenance.
Well Fiesta was a great option for me but after hearing mods are difficult on the car, since then I have lost interest.
accord- After driving the V6 accord the other day, every other car seemed bad, but yes its got a soft suspension setup and the way i drive i would prefer to go for a suspension upgrade.
civic-Going to drive the civic today, manual or auto, which is better?
Polo- 1.6 with an ECU remap+stage 1 will be faster than most sub-20lakh stock cars in India IMO.
Pajero-hahaha, I expected that was coming. The Paj(or any SUV) is just a decision from the mind rather than the heart. It does not feel luxurious on the inside but the road presence is amazing. It was a breeze to drive in the city and I got the right of way every time! It just glides over potholes and bumps. I had planned for awesome set of wheels, if i get this. Tell me man, which other SUV I can get which rides,handles as well as the Pajero, at this price or even if you stretch the budget? Can you call a CRV or Endeavor a competitor? Paj was only a more practical option for my garage and the other sedans a good replacement for driving my superb everyday.

I had considered the OHC and palio but it didnt make sense for me to go for an old car, already replacing a 10 year old car!

Just to add to the confusion, Pajero sfx is phased out and I read in Whatcar magazine that the civic is going to be phased out of India after Diwali, not getting the new version here! Which car would you take considering you had a superb and needed another car sharing the parking lot?

Thank you all for the responses!
Old 22nd September 2012, 17:54   #454
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13thpsycho View Post
Thank you sir. I was unaware of the fact that modding a Fiesta would be a problem. It goes out of the list straight away then. Why is there a problem with the cosmetic upgrades? mostly its just an add on skirting or a complete new bumper, is there a problem if one gets custom made upgrades?what if I plan a suspension upgrade then, would the civic/accord be a better car?
If its just cosmetic that you plan to upgrade, you can get it done with the fiesta, even till suspension etc, like it was mentioned.
In fact, there's a couple of threads on quite well modified ones here, even one with bilstein on it.
But, under the hood is where youll have issues.
Tyres, skirts, projectors, no issues .not big ones anyway.
Old 22nd September 2012, 19:24   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13thpsycho

Just to add to the confusion, Pajero sfx is phased out and I read in Whatcar magazine that the civic is going to be phased out of India after Diwali, not getting the new version here! Which car would you take considering you had a superb and needed another car sharing the parking lot?

Thank you all for the responses!
IF you just want stage I mods then Fiesta is THE best. For power Remap, Exhaust and a Cold Air Intake will be more than enough to keep up with likes of Laura and Cruze.
I know about the polo but it's not worth the money, a i20 would be better. Why don't you consider the Cedia.

P.S. According to me the ONLY car that should stand besides your superb is another skoda like a vRS.
Old 22nd September 2012, 19:39   #456
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
IF you just want stage I mods then Fiesta is THE best. For power Remap, Exhaust and a Cold Air Intake will be more than enough to keep up with likes of Laura and Cruze.
Cmon no way the Fiesta with stage one mods will keep up with a Laura or a Cruze.

13thpsycho - The V6 is a good choice if the autobox is fine with you, but its no where near DSG good. With the suspension and brake upgrade the car is really good. Another negative is the fuel economy, its pretty low. But the engine is a gem, smooth and very revv happy with a punchy mid end. Also being a Honda lots of bolt on mods. The Civic too is a very good choice, but that too needs suspension and brake upgrades.
Old 22nd September 2012, 19:50   #457
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13thpsycho View Post
Even though the Fiesta (last gen) is fairly old, it's arguably one of the most sorted cars, this side of 10 lakhs. In fact, I'd say it's even better than what you get on a stock Accord / Civic. The suspension is so good that you don't need to upgrade it unless you plan on visiting the track often.

Stage one mods on any car wouldn't improve performance drastically. What it does is help the engine breathe better and in a way, increases the potential of the motor for more serious modifications at a later stage.

Miltek exhausts sound great on Fiestas. Carbonio CAIs are worth considering as well. But be warned, these modifications are stupid expensive and may not really give you 'bang-for-buck'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Cmon no way the Fiesta with stage one mods will keep up with a Laura or a Cruze.
A lot depends on the driver too!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd September 2012 at 19:52.
Old 23rd September 2012, 15:02   #458
BHPian

Quote:

13thpsycho - The V6 is a good choice if the autobox is fine with you, but its no where near DSG good. With the suspension and brake upgrade the car is really good. Another negative is the fuel economy, its pretty low. But the engine is a gem, smooth and very revv happy with a punchy mid end. Also being a Honda lots of bolt on mods. The Civic too is a very good choice, but that too needs suspension and brake upgrades.
I still believe in what I said. Let me present my theory why.

Stock :-
Ford Fiesta -
Power = 101 PS Torque = 146 Nm Weight = 1130 0-100 = 13 secs

Skoda Laura -
Power = 160 PS Torque = 250 Nm Weight = 1380 0-100 = 8.43 secs

Chevy Cruze -
Power = 150 PS Torque = 327 NM Weight = 1520 0-100 = 9.8 secs

Now as I said, stage I mods will be, Remap, FFE, CAI. And as he will be going for bigger rims, so a better set of tyres too. Now we can all agree that with these mods to the engine, the power bump will be atleat 35-40% So the power becomes 135-140 and the torque will be 197-204 Nm. The weight reduces slightly, but that we can assume as negligible.
I cant really confirm 0-100 so I will leave that out of question. Now I just request everyone to just see the specs and review my statement "IF you just want stage I mods then Fiesta is THE best. For power Remap, Exhaust and a Cold Air Intake will be more than enough to keep up with likes of Laura and Cruze."

Ford Fiesta -
Power = 135 PS Torque = 197 Nm Weight = 1130 0-100 =

Skoda Laura -

Chevy Cruze -
Power = 150 PS Torque = 327 NM Weight = 1520 0-100 = 9.8 secs

I rest my case. Also in any case, just presenting the same for Cedia. 0-100 time of 10.6.

Ford Fiesta -
Power = 135 PS Torque = 197 Nm Weight = 1130 0-100 =

Skoda Laura -

Chevy Cruze -
Power = 150 PS Torque = 327 Nm Weight = 1520 0-100 = 9.8 secs

Mitsubishi Cedia -
Power = 155 PS Torque = 236 Nm Weight = 1225 0-100 =

Last edited by abhayshanu : 23rd September 2012 at 15:03.
Old 23rd September 2012, 15:03   #459
Team-BHP Support

Which tuner manages 35-40% gains from a remap, cai, and ffe, all just stage one mods. Need to move all my business to him.

On a serious note, those kind of gains are not possible from most of the tuners here, for a customer looking for a daily driveable car. Secondly the 0-100 time would be down to mayb 10.5-11 seconds with those mods, because realistically you would be looking at a 15% gain with those mods. Its an NA engine remember, not a turbo charged engine where just a remap will give 25-30% gains.

I stand by my earlier statement.

Though if by 'keep up' you mean the same way an Alto 'keeps up' with a 458 in traffic then you are right.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 23rd September 2012 at 15:09.
Old 23rd September 2012, 15:23   #460
Team-BHP Support

I agree with Akshay.

There is no way a CAI+FFE+Remap will yield 40% gains. Tuners and aftermarket brands will claim that their parts will give you an added 40% but I highly doubt that unless you look at forced-induction.

That said, a Fiesta 1.6S (mods or not) in the right hands can surprise Lauras and Cruzes.
Old 23rd September 2012, 15:46   #461
Senior - BHPian

May be, on the twisty roads, Fiesta with its sharp handling can keep up with Laura & Cruze.
But with little open stretch, both Laura and Cruze would disappear irrespective of any mod on fiesta.

Its not fair to compare a Fiesta with Laura / Cruze. Bring in the mondeo for a better comparison

Last edited by kpzen : 23rd September 2012 at 15:48.
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2012, 00:35   #462
BHPian

ok which is faster cruz or civic??
Old 24th September 2012, 05:01   #463
BHPian

Quote:
I know about the polo but it's not worth the money, a i20 would be better. Why don't you consider the Cedia.

P.S. According to me the ONLY car that should stand besides your superb is another skoda like a vRS.
I think keeping up with a laura and cruze in a modified fiesta should be a breeze but staying ahead can be challenging. Cruze has nervous handling IMO! (I havent driven the manual one yet to know how it actually drives!) i20 is out of the question, I hate all Hyundai cars, no offence meant to anyone, but IMO they are not driver centric cars. Correct me if I am wrong! Why do you say that for a polo.? A used one with 20k kms on the odo is available, of course not many options though, for 4.5 lakhs.
Cedia, well to be honest I just dont like the looks of the car, thats why its not on the list.
I love the classic vRS, I had driven a properly modded one, which did 0-100 in 7.xx secs! It was really fast. I didn't bother looking coz I thought it would be expensive to maintain, add to that, mostly high mileage models are available.

Quote:
13thpsycho - The V6 is a good choice if the autobox is fine with you...The Civic too is a very good choice, but that too needs suspension and brake upgrades.
To tell you the truth akshay, I loved the way V6 revs all the way to its redline but it was jerky at times while cruising at city speeds, plus the auto will change my enthusiastic driving style in a big way. But after driving the V6, other cars I was testing just seemed boring in terms of torque. My friends have been telling me to stay away from the V6 without convincing me enough! So far its between the civic and fiesta. If its any Honda, a suspension upgrade is definitely on the cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Stage one mods on any car wouldn't improve performance drastically. What it does is help the engine breathe better and in a way, increases the potential of the motor for more serious modifications at a later stage.

Miltek exhausts sound great on Fiestas. Carbonio CAIs are worth considering as well. But be warned, these modifications are stupid expensive and may not really give you 'bang-for-buck'.
People here have told me about the difficulties in modding a fiesta for stage 2 upgrades. I dont plan to go one level up but what if I want to upgrade at a later stage, then I would be stuck with the car. Is there a performance difference between Miltek and custom 4x2x1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by procircuit_234 View Post
ok which is faster cruz or civic??
Cruze on a straight line definitely, the civic 'might' catch up once the bends come into play

A good comparo abhayshanu, FFE with CAI and engine remap will definitely yield a 20% increase not sure of more than that, even then I feel in normal road conditions a fiesta would be faster due to its dynamics than the cruze and laura. Anyway the question is not of the laura or cruze here, they are out of my budget. How would u compare a modified fiesta vs modified civic (suspension and brakes inc.)? Which would have faster 20-100 acceleration and better handling? Any idea how much would a new civic engine cost?
13thpsycho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2012, 09:47   #464
BHPian

Thanks Mayankk, I think I should not consider a Fiesta anymore, as it is I didnt like the looks of the car so much and you have given me another reason to bank on that decision. I will be terribly disappointed if I cannot source a good set of alloys for the car. I wanted a fatter set of rubber. Anyway its out of the list now. Which Honda would you suggest out of the two? And SUV, if you would prefer any?

Well Fiesta was a great option for me but after hearing mods are difficult on the car, since then I have lost interest.

13thpsycho
I meant the car as stock looks great and any engine mod would be troublesome as the car is out of production and any snags you might develop spare parts will be an issue. Plus depends on what extend you want to mod. If its just plain fatter rubber (eg. Yoko's), the skirts , spoilers( if the stock car didnt have one),Music system,etc you should do just fine.
And as you mentioned before you didnt like the car to start with , well yea its a dated design, but once you get behind those wheels,its all forgotten.Do let me know how it goes.
Old 24th September 2012, 11:22   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13thpsycho
A good comparo abhayshanu, FFE with CAI and engine remap will definitely yield a 20% increase not sure of more than that, even then I feel in normal road conditions a fiesta would be faster due to its dynamics than the cruze and laura. Anyway the question is not of the laura or cruze here, they are out of my budget. How would u compare a modified fiesta vs modified civic (suspension and brakes inc.)? Which would have faster 20-100 acceleration and better handling? Any idea how much would a new civic engine cost?
Maybe I am wrong on the 35-40% power inc. But as I said earlier. For stage II, fiesta is useless. If you plan on further mods then just throw out all other cars and go for the civic. That will be best. I don't know the cost of a new engine, maybe someone else can comments.
For me looks come secondary, so Cedia again is quite on top. But honestly, if it comes to Cedia vs civic, everyone would go for the civic.

For more experienced and knowledgeable T-BHPians
This is kind of out there, but, as the Polo shares it's basis with its bigger cousin Golf, will it not be possible for a golf engine to be planted in this? That then would make the polo a super pocket rocket.

Most Viewed