Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2013, 23:17   #571
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

What prices are the Octavias going for these days?
Is a used Ocatavia vRS still a good buy at this time? I wouldn't mind the diesel or the smaller petrol either to be honest.
Old 9th December 2013, 01:35   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamine View Post
What prices are the Octavias going for these days?
Is a used Ocatavia vRS still a good buy at this time? I wouldn't mind the diesel or the smaller petrol either to be honest.
Have seen decent examples of the vRS going at about 4 lakhs in Delhi. Don't know how different the rates are in Chandigarh.

They are immense cars, even in stock form. I know of someone who had got the ECU chipped and saw a ridiculous increase in BHP (via a dyno), so the potential is insane, if you're into that.

The vRS versions are cheaper due to their poor economy? Or is it that they are more expensive because they are prized by the enthusiasts? I don't know.
But I wouldn't mind owning a decent vRS sometime down the line!
Old 13th December 2013, 18:52   #573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamine View Post
What prices are the Octavias going for these days? Is a used Ocatavia vRS still a good buy at this time? I wouldn't mind the diesel or the smaller petrol either to be honest.
You will be surprised to know that Octys vrs can come for as cheap as a lakh with high mileage. Obviously meters are tampered On most of them. I was getting an amazing deal back in 2011 for tuned Octavia with miltek exhaust and ecu remapped. Went 0-100 in 7secs flat. Awesome car to drive! Mods on the car was over 2.5 lakhs. With genuine 80k on the odo, he was selling it for 4 lakhs. So I am assuming that a decent car will cost u anything between 2.5-4 lakhs.

Please be warned that since these cars would already have done loads of Kms, the maintenance and spares will be on the higher side. I would suggest you look at honda accords simply because it comes with honda reliability, great driving experience (pre 2007 models), lots of mod options plus you get to drive a car a segment higher than the Octavia. You should find good examples in the 4 lakh range.

Cheers!
Old 26th December 2013, 00:25   #574
BHPian

Since there is a latest thread for top contenders (new) for 2013. So what is list for top 5 or 10 (used), lets say between 6-8L. Need to revisit the basics and not look at yesteryears heroes which are at their end of the life cycle, need fresh smokin wheels here not cheap wheels. Guys please present your affordable wish list here.
Old 26th December 2013, 07:58   #575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Since there is a latest thread for top contenders (new) for 2013. So what is list for top 5 or 10 (used), lets say between 6-8L. Need to revisit the basics and not look at yesteryears heroes which are at their end of the life cycle, need fresh smokin wheels here not cheap wheels. Guys please present your affordable wish list here.
True. Updates are needed. This is how my list goes; in descending order of preference :

1. Mitsubishi Cedia
2. Fiat Linea T-Jet
3. Ford Fiesta 1.6S
4. Maruti Suzuki Swift
5. Skoda Fabia 1.6
6. Honda Brio
7. Honda Civic
8. Honda Accord
9. Maruti Suzuki A-Star
10. Arrow-shaped Honda City
Old 26th December 2013, 08:58   #576
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
True. Updates are needed. This is how my list goes; in descending order of preference:

1. Mitsubishi Cedia
2. Fiat Linea T-Jet
3. Ford Fiesta 1.6S
4. Maruti Suzuki Swift
5. Skoda Fabia 1.6
6. Honda Brio
7. Honda Civic
8. Honda Accord
9. Maruti Suzuki A-Star
10. Arrow-shaped Honda City
Nice list buddy. I see Honda more on the list. Surprised to see Fabia here.

My list stands as below:

1) Maruti Suzuki Swift
2) Octavia vRS
3) Maruti Suzuki Baleno
4) Honda City (OHC)
5) Maruti Suzuki Zen (Old one had a lovely engine+gearbox)

Anurag.
Old 26th December 2013, 09:29   #577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Nice list buddy. I see Honda more on the list. Surprised to see Fabia here.

My list stands as below:

1) Maruti Suzuki Swift
2) Octavia vRS
3) Maruti Suzuki Baleno
4) Honda City (OHC)
5) Maruti Suzuki Zen (Old one had a lovely engine+gearbox)

Anurag.
The Civic, Accord and City, do stand at the bottom end of the spectrum though :P I would love to add the Zen into my list. Perhaps a Zen carbon instead of the Honda City. As for the Octavia vRS, love the car to bits BUT even with the seat furthest behind, my knees used to foul with the dashboard (can't understand how it was popular in the EU where I would be considered average height) Also, I believe that to be able to own and maintain one in pristine condition, your budget would have to exceed 6 lakhs

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...les-heels.html
Old 6th January 2014, 00:41   #578

Buying a used Civic

The background

First post here and a complete novice to cars, so please excuse any obvious mistakes.

Owning a Civic has been a dream of mine for quite a long time. Ever since reading GTO's post, this dream has kept getting stronger.

After working for two years and saving up on literally everything, it seems like I may be able to finally afford one.

The Car

After searching on the internet and through classifieds, I did find a couple of vehicles that were good, but were quoting really high (>6 L, both 07 registered, MT Variants)

After some months of searching, I came across a Civic that looked quite impressive.

It was a taffeta white civic 08, done 65K on the odo and the dealer was quoting 5.75 L

The car looked neat from outside. The side skirting of the driver end was touched up, but did not have any dents.

ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less-screen-shot-20140106-12.26.25-am.png

ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less-screen-shot-20140106-12.26.34-am.png

ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less-screen-shot-20140106-12.26.47-am.png

The review

Had a friend test out the car. He owns a Civic 08 V AT himself. The engine, brakes and other systems were working as intended.

The problems:

- The tires on this car are absolutely bald. Need to replace them immediately (any suggestions of Tyre type and cost ?)

- The interior unfortunately, has not been maintained well. The upholstery in not clean and is torn of the driver and front passenger hand rests (How much will this repair cost ?)

- The gear indicator light is not working on the instrument panel.

Considering all of the above (especially the tires), I had quoted 4.8 L for the car. The seller is willing to give it at 4.9 L

I will get it checked from Pride Honda if I decide to take it.

Next steps:

- Gun metal alloy wheels to go with the new set of wheels.

- HIDs - Some advise on the type of HIDs and the prices would be much appreciated

- Angel eyes for the civic - Seen the earlier post on this and looked really nice.

Some advise on the above with prices (since working with limited cash ) would be appreciated.
aarkay28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 10:13   #579
BHPian

Re: Buying a used Civic

My friend who is a director with one of the leading multinational companies is selling his 2008 Honda Civic 1.8 S manual (Delhi Registration). The car is in the top shape with new tyres and battery. I know how he maintains his car. It looks as if it has been bought from the showroom just now.

However, No car dealer in the used market has quoted him more than three lakhs. I would suggest that you go the used price calculator thread in this forum and you will get a fair idea of the price for your car.

Maintenance of five year old car will not be easy as spares and service is very costly specially with Honda. Since, the car has been discontinued, you may have problem with the availability of some spares which are not readily available with the dealers.

If you are operating with limited cash, I am sure you will get better options within your price bracket. Why enter into a deal which is cheaper to buy and tough to maintain thereafter.
mints21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 10:26   #580
BHPian

My suggestion - Do not rush to buy. Take your time. There are plenty of used civics in the market.
- A Torn interior is a sign of a abused car. A person who has not bothered with interiors maintenance would have also been equally negligent on servicing.
- Also from your post it is not clear if it is a manual or AT car. I take it as AT as you mention the gear indicator not working on dashboard. This could turn out to be an expensive proposition where in you might have to replace the instrument cluster.
- If you decide to buy this vehicle, please check with the honda for service history for the car & get the entire vehicle checked for issues. At this km reading there is a possibility of engine mounts not being healthy which are again expensive.
malgudi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 10:47   #581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarkay28 View Post
It was a taffeta white civic 08, done 65K on the odo and the dealer was quoting 5.75 L

The problems:
- The tires on this car are absolutely bald. Need to replace them immediately (any suggestions of Tyre type and cost ?)
- The interior unfortunately, has not been maintained well. The upholstery in not clean and is torn of the driver and front passenger hand rests (How much will this repair cost ?)

Considering all of the above (especially the tires), I had quoted 4.8 L for the car. The seller is willing to give it at 4.9 L
Quote for 1 lac less (3.5 lacs) (indicate that you are looking for a car around 4 lacs). Let the dealer haggle it up (he should be desperate to clear the stock). Why should we buyer be always on the receiving end?

As you can see the dealers are offering mints21's friend quite a pittance for this Honda Civic!

- Each tyre would at minimum roughly cost around 6K. (so ask further discount based on this)
- how could someone actually damage the upholstery? Is it worn (abraded) or cut/scratched? (I believe this should again give you a bargaining power of about 10K)
- gear light indicator -> panel work -> honda proprietary will cost you a bomb (IMO they will ask you to replace everything). But you can ask the service adviser/mechanic/electrician when you take the vehicle for checkup - what exactly is the problem. If it is something as small as bulb or loose connection, you can get it rectified easily.

Also there is a thread about Honda Civic maintenance ... do read that up. You will come to know the usual issues faced vs the price to take care of the issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
Maintenance of five year old car will not be easy as spares and service is very costly specially with Honda. Since, the car has been discontinued, you may have problem with the availability of some spares which are not readily available with the dealers.
I can assure everyone that this is an absolute non-issue.
I have 2001 OHC and there has never been any issue ever on spare parts availability.
(You may argue that a Honda City is different from Honda Civic - but I still won't agree on the spare issue)

Last edited by alpha1 : 6th January 2014 at 10:49.
alpha1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 10:53   #582
BHPian

When you can see so many issues yourself, imagine what might be beneath the car.

1. Are you getting service history with car?
2. Any warranty from dealer?

Still I will suggest to stay away and look for cars in known circle? Best of the the known used car dealers can't be relied just by seeing a car.

Why not look for ANHC when you can get 80% of Civic and at relatively good vehicle in same price range.

If you are tight on budget, then do consider or account for incidental expenses which can be anything from spares to any unfortunate incident.

It's sometimes wise to go conservative than aggressively chasing the goal. I learnt it hard way :-)
Firebird is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 11:04   #583
Senior - BHPian

I second @malgudi. Do not rush into buying. Look around with patience. There should be enough Civics to choose from.

I wouldn't personally touch a car if I get an inkling that it has not been looked after.
Old 6th January 2014, 11:05   #584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarkay28 View Post
The background

First post here and a complete novice to cars, so please excuse any obvious mistakes.

Owning a Civic has been a dream of mine for quite a long time. Ever since reading GTO's post, this dream has kept getting stronger.

After working for two years and saving up on literally everything, it seems like I may be able to finally afford one.
Bought a used Civic recently. My 2 cents -

1) Spares are easily available.
2) Honda A.S.S. is not the best.
3) Ride quality is not great at high speeds.
4) Quality, fit and finish is exemplary.
5) Service costs are expensive if done at A.S.S., so is cost of spares.

Now, there are some things you should definitely check on the car as these are known issues -

1) Engine mounts failure
2) Front wheel bearings
3) Steering rack (also check power steering pump leakage)
4) Older Civics had rear suspension issues

Trust me, the above parts are not at all cheap.

Quote:
If you stick to stock size, you will need to spend about 20000/- INR.

More info here -

http://www.changemytyre.com/Tyres/Ca...D=34&CityID=13

Quote:
Speaks of an abused car. But can be easily fixed by anyone who does car interiors and/or leather seats. Branded ones are Stanley, Ovion, etc.

Quote:
If its a simple case of loose wiring or something, that is okay. But if not, Honda will ask you to replace the entire instrument cluster, which again is expensive.
Quote:
- Gun metal alloy wheels to go with the new set of wheels.
16" wheels = fabulous choice!

Quote:
- HIDs - Some advise on the type of HIDs and the prices would be much appreciated
Consider about 10-15k for branded ones, with projector. Please dont install HIDs without projectors.

Quote:
- Angel eyes for the civic - Seen the earlier post on this and looked really nice.
If you buy the whole set of a pair of aftermarket headlights, they cost about 21-25k.
raj_5004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 12:31   #585

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
My friend who is a director with one of the leading multinational companies is selling his 2008 Honda Civic 1.8 S manual (Delhi Registration). The car is in the top shape with new tyres and battery. I know how he maintains his car. It looks as if it has been bought from the showroom just now.

However, No car dealer in the used market has quoted him more than three lakhs. I would suggest that you go the used price calculator thread in this forum and you will get a fair idea of the price for your car.
Thanks for the reply @mints21. I did not know that I could get a Civic MT for 3L. Would you happen to know if:

a) The price should be about ~50K extra for a top of the line AT
b) I did notice that the prices in Delhi were less than those in Hyd. Am guessing this is due to the taxes, or the fact that Delhi has more Civics to the sold than Hyd.

Also, your friend got this offer from the dealer, but am sure the dealer would not give me the same option ?
aarkay28 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks