Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2014, 23:54   #616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The 2.0 tdi cr Jetta was never offered with a DSG. It was 110bhp and manual only. The DSGs were all 1.9PDs with 105bhp.

Also is your car 145+ bhp? The 7th gen Accord had the 2.4l which was 142bhp odd, and the 6th gen (i.e yours) had the 2.3l engine which was less than that. Do correct me if I'm wrong.
Ah, thanks akshay, that clarifies about the Jetta, .. The US 2.3 F23A1 honda makes 150, not sure about this. Very punchy low end and makes it to the double ton though, even in my auto.
Old 15th March 2014, 00:03   #617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Have you considered a used Passat?? If numbers is what you seek then you will have similar power figures to a Laura in a pre 2012 model and + it is well spec'd too. The older Passat was a better handling car than the previous Jetta and that speaks volumes of its capabilities. All this at 9-10L thereabouts. BTW with low running you may want to look at CRVs or Outlanders as well. Sorry if I further confused you
Thanks S2, wanted a size smaller than my current accord. So ruled out superb, passat. Not keen on SUVs. The 3 series is perfect, but I'm too scared of the maintenance on an out of warranty beemer. I'll check the Laura dsg out.
Old 17th March 2014, 17:57   #618
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

After all this running about, I'll be booking the post facelift Polo TSi. I think the answer was right under my nose all the time. There are no other fun, nimble petrol automatics in my budget range of 6 to 12 lacs, new or used.
Old 17th March 2014, 18:22   #619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
After all this running about, I'll be booking the post facelift Polo TSi. I think the answer was right under my nose all the time. There are no other fun, nimble petrol automatics in my budget range of 6 to 12 lacs, new or used.
Congratulations mate! hahaha guess you're right about that. Wish you several fun-filled miles
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 18:32   #620
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just curious. Why not the vento tsi? Coming from an accord won't the polo be a little too cramped for your liking? The vento seems to be better suited, spacious enough and with the same tsi dsg combo which ensure great drivability and performance. Falls in your budget too.
Old 17th March 2014, 19:34   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Just curious. Why not the vento tsi? Coming from an accord won't the polo be a little too cramped for your liking? The vento seems to be better suited, spacious enough and with the same tsi dsg combo which ensure great drivability and performance. Falls in your budget too.
Well, I could go in for the Vento TSi, but I think the Polo looks far cooler - just my view. Second, my wife, who currently drives an i10 AT might also end up using this - she's got a fondness for hatches. 99% of the time, I do solo driving...

The only I thing I'll really miss is the Accord's road presence. The ricks and the two wheelers generally don't mess around.
Old 17th March 2014, 22:59   #622
BANNED

Quote:
Well, I could go in for the Vento TSi, but I think the Polo looks far cooler - just my view. Second, my wife, who currently drives an i10 AT might also end up using this - she's got a fondness for hatches. 99% of the time, I do solo driving...

The only I thing I'll really miss is the Accord's road presence. The ricks and the two wheelers generally don't mess around.
The Polo is a good car but feels cramped inside and if your going to use the car solo without any long highway trips that need space for humans + luggage then the Polo is not the car to look at, may be Vento will help things better.

Anurag.
Old 17th March 2014, 23:23   #623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The Polo is a good car but feels cramped inside and if your going to use the car solo without any long highway trips that need space for humans + luggage then the Polo is not the car to look at, may be Vento will help things better.

Anurag.
Good, practical point! But then I wanted a 'fun' choice and the Polo does it for me. Also, if it were a sedan, I'd pick a sensible choice - City CVT rather than the Vento, just in terms of sheer resale Honda commands.
Old 17th March 2014, 23:41   #624
BANNED

Quote:
Good, practical point! But then I wanted a 'fun' choice and the Polo does it for me. Also, if it were a sedan, I'd pick a sensible choice - City CVT rather than the Vento, just in terms of sheer resale Honda commands.
+1 to the sensible choice (Honda City).

Why not the Swift ZXi? It is fun to drive and ASC is great anyway but lacks a bit of space.

Anurag.
Old 18th March 2014, 00:25   #625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
+1 to the sensible choice (Honda City).

Why not the Swift ZXi? It is fun to drive and ASC is great anyway but lacks a bit of space.

Anurag.

Automatic only! Hence no swift.
Old 18th March 2014, 01:03   #626

Re: Buying a used Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
My friend who is a director with one of the leading multinational companies is selling his 2008 Honda Civic 1.8 S manual (Delhi Registration). The car is in the top shape with new tyres and battery. I know how he maintains his car. It looks as if it has been bought from the showroom just now.

However, No car dealer in the used market has quoted him more than three lakhs. I would suggest that you go the used price calculator thread in this forum and you will get a fair idea of the price for your car.

Maintenance of five year old car will not be easy as spares and service is very costly specially with Honda. Since, the car has been discontinued, you may have problem with the availability of some spares which are not readily available with the dealers.

If you are operating with limited cash, I am sure you will get better options within your price bracket. Why enter into a deal which is cheaper to buy and tough to maintain thereafter.

Returning back to the thread which gave me a lot more perspective on buying my dream car.

Thank you everyone for your wonderful suggestions.

Finally found a car that I absolutely fell in love with and at an affordable price.

Attaching some pictures below.

Car Details:

- 2008 model
- V MT
- 54,078 on the odo
- Tyres done 5K and have good tread
- Got the 150 point check from Honda and nothing major was found

Investments made:

- Paid 4.4 L for the car
- New Amaron battery worth 5100
- High beam light bulb cost 250
- Servicing cost 3500
- Interior and Exterior cleaning cost 700

Overall, am quite happy with the purchase.

I wanted some advise from fellow Civic Owners on driving this monster.

1. How much should you rev the car upto between gears, say 1st - 2nd, etc ?
2. How can you confidently understand where the passenger side bumper ends (any references) ?
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less-img_6118.jpg  

ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less-img_6085.jpg  

ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less-img_6065.jpg  

ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less-img_6072.jpg  

ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less-img_6077.jpg  

ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less-img_6079.jpg  

ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less-img_6084.jpg  

ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less-img_6092.jpg  

ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less-img_6111.jpg  

ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less-_20140318_001803.jpg  

aarkay28 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 13:32   #627
BHPian

Thankyou friend, for updating us on this buy. From the pictures of the car it is very tough to say if it is a brand new car or pre-owned one.

Initially, I thought its a brand new car. The previous owner has maintained it in immaculate condition. Your car is an eye opener for a person like me who always shy away from pre-owned cars.

Best of luck and enjoy miles and miles of happy, safe and blissful driving experience.

I shall look forward to your ownership experience now.

Best Wishes
mints21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 13:44   #628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarkay28 View Post
Returning back to the thread which gave me a lot more perspective on buying my dream car.

Finally found a car that I absolutely fell in love with and at an affordable price.
Nice to see someone else from Hyderabad. The pictures are on Necklace road right? Anyway, congratulations on the buy I was wondering why you paid so much (4.4lakhs) for the pre-facelift version but then if the pictures are anything to go by this car definitely looks like it was worth it. Hope she runs fine mechanically too There are several Civic ownership threads, even ones about common issues/niggles etc on this forum. Our very own, GTO, owns a Civic himself so rest assured, t-bhp shouldn't leave a Civic owner clueless just give it a look around

Last edited by Technocrat : 19th March 2014 at 01:41. Reason: Please quote selectively as a large quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers. Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 16:35   #629
BHPian

Quote:
- Got the 150 point check from Honda and nothing major was found

- Servicing cost 3500
Slightly off-topic but I have a couple of questions.

How much did Honda charge you for the 150-point check? I guess each and every major component of the vehicle is covered in this right. Also how much time do they take to complete this check. Do they give you a detailed printed report?

Also, what all was covered in the service worth 3500 bucks? I'm guessing only oil+filter, air and fuel filter.

Thanks and congrats on your purchase. Looks beautiful.
Old 18th March 2014, 19:54   #630
BHPian

Quote:

Though 4.4 for 2008 MT done 54k is on higher side but the pictures talk a lot about the way this car is kept. But I still have doubt that how a an car which has done 54k in almost 6 years be scratch free. Here in Mumbai it's almost impossible, has the car been overcoated or something like that?

Last edited by Technocrat : 19th March 2014 at 01:41. Reason: Please quote selectively as a large quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers. Thanks

Most Viewed