Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2014, 20:32   #631

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
Thankyou friend, for updating us on this buy. From the pictures of the car it is very tough to say if it is a brand new car or pre-owned one.

Initially, I thought its a brand new car. The previous owner has maintained it in immaculate condition. Your car is an eye opener for a person like me who always shy away from pre-owned cars.
Thanks for the Wishes. Yes, the car was in really good condition and very well maintained.

I would definitely recommend getting a pre-owned car. Imagine getting a used BMW at similar prices of a new Verna and lower than something like a Superb ?

My two cents if you do decide to get a pre-owned car:

1. Patience is a virtue here. Finding a car that is very well maintained at your price is easier said than done. It took me more than half a year to find mine.

2. Please try to avoid Dealers. Very scammy folks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Nice to see someone else from Hyderabad. The pictures are on Necklace road right?
Ditto. And yes, on Necklace Road.

Quote:
Anyway, congratulations on the buy I was wondering why you paid so much (4.4lakhs) for the pre-facelift version but then if the pictures are anything to go by this car definitely looks like it was worth it. Hope she runs fine mechanically too
So, I did look around for the facelift version, but the quotes were always quite high. Moreover, the issue I faced was that there were folks who were always prepared to pay that much for a car, which makes our quotes look quite bad.

At first I thought the sellers were just faking having "customers" who would pay more, but when I called them back, they had actually sold the car at far higher prices. For example, a 2007 Maroon Civic V AT went at 5.7

Again, I know I paid a bit more, but the car is in top condition, and it was within my budget.

Got the engine checked from Pride Honda in Madhapur and a mechanic recommended by a friend. All perfect !

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Slightly off-topic but I have a couple of questions.

How much did Honda charge you for the 150-point check? I guess each and every major component of the vehicle is covered in this right. Also how much time do they take to complete this check. Do they give you a detailed printed report?
So, the charge for the service is Rs. 1500, but will cost you Rs. 1650 with taxes.

So, they do a thorough inspection of all elements of the car. You can get all the details here: http://www.cars.com/go/advice/shoppi...inspection.pdf

Quote:
Also, what all was covered in the service worth 3500 bucks? I'm guessing only oil+filter, air and fuel filter.
Yes, just basic Engine Oil, Filters. I got my clutch checked too and my handbrake tightened.

Quote:
Thanks and congrats on your purchase. Looks beautiful.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
Though 4.4 for 2008 MT done 54k is on higher side but the pictures talk a lot about the way this car is kept. But I still have doubt that how a an car which has done 54k in almost 6 years be scratch free. Here in Mumbai it's almost impossible, has the car been overcoated or something like that?
Yup, I know its on the higher end, but even on the classifieds, I found cars to be more expensive than those in Mumbai.

Again, here it was mostly a case of someone else always willing to pay higher. And to my surprise, folks actually did pay quite high without knowing its actual value.

The car has not been overcoated, its the company paint. I had the same doubt so got this checked from Honda and another mechanic who is known for touch ups, tinkering, etc.

In the second inspection, we did find that the passenger side rear tail lamp had been replaced and was not Honda original, and the clips inside were replaced. So the bumper is retouched here atleast, if not the entire bumper itself.

The rest of the car is company paint. There are couple of minute dots on the roof where the paint has been damaged, but its really small and the camera didn't capture it.

Note from Support: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread. Thanks.

Last edited by Eddy : 18th March 2014 at 23:25.
Old 19th March 2014, 20:55   #632

Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

I am a newbie in this forum. I am not a car enthusiasist. I could not be one because the only cars I could buy when I was young were Ambassdor, Premier Padmini and Standared Herald. Herald was the car for the young. You did need a lot of strength to close its door.

Now almost at the fag end of my life, I am thinking of buying a new car.

My requirements are basically for going from the resort (where I propose to stay) to the nearest town once a week, driving to the nearest city once a month and may be go on short pilgrimages (200 to 300 Kms).

My budget is 3 to 4 lakhs. Anything more would be a waste of money.

Originally I was thinking of buying a new car. But then I saw the ads for used cars and decided to buy a used one.

I wanted a sedan. I was thinking of Honda City, but I was told that it is not reliable.

I would have loved to buy an old Mercedes Benz. But then it would give a wrong impression in the community. I am not that rich.

Decided finally to go in for a Toyota Corolla.

What made me decide was this article

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...y-need#slide-2

But I find that the Corolla cars available are mostly 2004 and earlier. I do not find many cars of 2007 and 2008 vintage. Then someone had posted about HT and HE variations. I am not able to get any information on that.

I would like any advice about the purchase.

I need the car in Tamil Nadu.

Thank You.
Old 20th March 2014, 11:18   #633
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...I was wondering why you paid so much (4.4lakhs) for the pre-facelift version...
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarkay28 View Post
....So, I did look around for the facelift version, but the quotes were always quite high...
What are the differences on the facelift version? I am NOT able to recollect, so would like to know how can I differentiate both.

Between, a very good buy! Car looks really nice. Have a good time.
Old 20th March 2014, 11:43   #634

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
What are the differences on the facelift version? I am NOT able to recollect, so would like to know how can I differentiate both.

The new Civic (post 09, if I am not wrong) came out with the following cosmetic changes:

- Hexagonal taillamps
- Smoked Headlamps
- Larger chrome grill
- Reverse Parking assist in top end variant
- Slight changes to the front bumper shape, hardly understandable

You can see the changes in this video
aarkay28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 12:38   #635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

I cannot recall myself. I was in the market for a used civic about 2 years ago. The only difference that really mattered to me was the stiffer rear dampers that meant the car didn't squat as much with people or luggage in it ergo scraping half as many speed humps. Infact I preferred the pre-facelift's twin barrel tail lamps to the odd octagonal shaped ones. The added steering mounted controls and cruise control were nice to have features too.
Old 25th March 2014, 16:38   #636
BHPian

Used Accord or Civic - Please suggest

My wife's loyal Ford fiesta is now 4 year old and has done close to 85000 kms. Though nothing is wrong with the car, I am just getting bored of it now. The major issue which is now troubling me is the absence of ABS and airbags, as the car serves my Wife and is also the primary ride of my 8.5 month old princess. Also I want an AT for her now, as the traffic in Jaipur is getting impossible to drive in day after day. But as per my wife she doesnt want to buy a new car and spend some 11-12 lacs on it. So I zeroed down on used cars (budget appx. 6 lacs, stretchable by a lac), preferably a civic or an accord, Being Honda they would be reliable. Let me also add that this will be our first used car.

When i did some search online, I found that there are many options available in Delhi NCR, where my brother lives. The options in Jaipur are less and are expensive than the ones available in Delhi. So I thought of asking the experts the following questions -
  1. Which Car- Civic or Accord?
  2. Any Known Problems with these?
  3. Which model to consider and price to expect?
  4. Which place to buy - Delhi or Jaipur?
  5. Transfer of Registration(in case of delhi reg.) Process
  6. Any other thing to keep in mind?

Looking for all the help I could get.

Thanks.
Old 4th April 2014, 09:28   #637

Someone is selling a Laura L&K DSG TDI 2009 done 63 k km well maintained company owned with full service history. Seller is expecting 7.25L but very open to offers. How much do you guys suggest I offer? I'm quite keen.

Actually I've been waiting for the Polo TSI GT with the face-lift to come. Interested in the DSG. But this has caught my fancy.
At the same time I'm concerned about the electronics going kaput.
Any input from fellow Bhpians would be most welcome.
I wouldn't mind the diesel. My main requirement is AT.
Thank you
Jafar
Old 4th April 2014, 10:39   #638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
My wife's loyal Ford fiesta is now 4 year old and has done close to 85000 kms. Though nothing is wrong with the car, I am just getting bored of it now.

So I thought of asking the experts the following questions -

Thanks.
I'd suggest the Civic since maintaining it would be a lot cheaper. Go for the facelifted one (though I prefer the looks of the pre-facelift civic) since the car came with stiffer dampers preventing it from bottoming out on practically every speed breaker. Will still need to go carefully over speed humps but it isn't as bad.

6-7 lakhs for a well maintained one is the most I would spend.

No experience in transferring registration etc. so can't help you there.

Check out the very detailed t-bhp thread on issues http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ighlight=civic

Oh and remember to take a trusty mech with you.

On a side note: The Civic is a low slung, wide car with swept back a-pillars, a low ground clearance and poor torque in the lower rmps. So it will be a little bit of a pain to drive in the city. Ofcourse, all of these worries vanish if your wife is experienced. The automatic should help you out vastly though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my969 View Post
Someone is selling a Laura L&K DSG TDI 2009 done 63 k km well maintained company owned with full service history. Seller is expecting 7.25L but very open to offers. How much do you guys suggest I offer? I'm quite keen.

Actually I've been waiting for the Polo TSI GT with the face-lift to come. Interested in the DSG. But this has caught my fancy.
At the same time I'm concerned about the electronics going kaput.
Any input from fellow Bhpians would be most welcome.
I wouldn't mind the diesel. My main requirement is AT.
Thank you
Jafar
Highly unreliable electronics, have personally seen the horrors on multiple cars including constant failing of safety systems, leakage from the sunroof, compressor issues, transmission issues etc. 7.25 seems a little steep. Is this the TDI or the PumpeDuse motor (i.e.: is it the facelifted one)? If you are dead set on buying the car, then the facelifted one does have fewer issues.

I would suggest waiting for the Polo which is a brilliant car and the revised version ought to arrive in the summer if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 4th April 2014 at 10:42.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2014, 11:43   #639
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My wife's loyal Ford fiesta is now 4 year old and has done close to 85000 kms. Though nothing is wrong with the car, I am just getting bored of it now. The major issue which is now troubling me is the absence of ABS and airbags, as the car serves my Wife and is also the primary ride of my 8.5 month old princess. Also I want an AT for her now, as the traffic in Jaipur is getting impossible to drive in day after day. But as per my wife she doesnt want to buy a new car and spend some 11-12 lacs on it. So I zeroed down on used cars (budget appx. 6 lacs, stretchable by a lac), preferably a civic or an accord, Being Honda they would be reliable. Let me also add that this will be our first used car.

When i did some search online, I found that there are many options available in Delhi NCR, where my brother lives. The options in Jaipur are less and are expensive than the ones available in Delhi. So I thought of asking the experts the following questions -

Thanks.
I would recommend the Honda City AT. You can easily get a relatively newer car and should be cheaper to maintain and gives better efficiency. The thing with a car like accord is that although it is cheap to buy in the used car market, the maintenance and parts will be as per the segment.
Old 4th April 2014, 13:36   #640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I would recommend the Honda City AT. You can easily get a relatively newer car and should be cheaper to maintain and gives better efficiency. The thing with a car like accord is that although it is cheap to buy in the used car market, the maintenance and parts will be as per the segment.
Very valid point about accord being of the higher segment and the maintenance costs. Though I would not consider city as my fiesta belongs to the same segment and gives me better mileage being a diesel than the city petrol. The reason for opting civic or accord was shifting to higher segment, and atleast the lower ownership costs would take care of the higher fuel expenses. I believe that's a decent bargain.

Quote:
I'd suggest the Civic since maintaining it would be a lot cheaper. Go for the facelifted one (though I prefer the looks of the pre-facelift civic) since the car came with stiffer dampers preventing it from bottoming out on practically every speed breaker. Will still need to go carefully over speed humps but it isn't as bad.

6-7 lakhs for a well maintained one is the most I would spend.

No experience in transferring registration etc. so can't help you there.

Check out the very detailed t-bhp thread on issues http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ighlight=civic

Oh and remember to take a trusty mech with you.

On a side note: The Civic is a low slung, wide car with swept back a-pillars, a low ground clearance and poor torque in the lower rmps. So it will be a little bit of a pain to drive in the city. Ofcourse, all of these worries vanish if your wife is experienced. The automatic should help you out vastly though.
Thanks Ishanian for the valuable inputs. My only concern with civic was that honda has now stopped selling it in India , so how long would there be service support? I had gone through the thread on earlier occasions also, and as people suggest that HASS is almost twice expensive for any jobwork done outside, my concern went a couple of notches higher in case parts will not be available outside, I'll be forced to go to HASS.
As far as my wife's driving is concerned, you should get the idea from the running as 90% of that ODO reading has been done by her. And as you said, the AT will help further.
My two concerns were regarding the AT box's reliability and outstation registration, which I am waiting if someone could throw light upon.

Cheers

Last edited by stormerider : 4th April 2014 at 13:37.
Old 4th April 2014, 18:37   #641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My two concerns were regarding the AT box's reliability and outstation registration, which I am waiting if someone could throw light upon.

Cheers
Can't comment on outstation registration myself, but the Civic's AT is generally a trouble-free one. Some members mentioned that the D light blinks just before the transmission fails, and this came up a few times. On the whole though the AT box used in the Civic is reliable, you wouldn't find as many cases of failures as you would in say a Skoda petrol automatic.
Old 5th April 2014, 00:10   #642
BHPian

After flaking out on picking up an OHC Vtec last year, I'm back again with more questions than answers for myself.

I'm in the market for a pre-owned car, preferably an enthusiasts companion and have whittled myself down to the following:

1) Civic
2) Baleno
3) Corolla
4) Verna - diesel

I'm open to all sorts of suggestions basis my requirements.

I know, at least by this threads standards, the Corolla(?) and Verna are not really enthusiasts cars, but from what I've heard the Corolla isn't so bad.

I'm just going to put my thoughts down as coherently I can and hope that someone here can help clear the fog in my head:

I've driven the Civic, Baleno and the Verna and quite liked all 3 actually. The Civic made me feel the most special, but the other 2 were quite fun as well and I've heard that the Corolla is also worth it. I'm going to be benching my buy on the following points:

1) Reliability is of most importance. I flaked out of picking up a car last year cause we (my wife and I) had our 2nd daughter, and I want to ensure that I don't pick up something that's going to be a headache instead of a helping hand. (This is also why I dropped the idea of a Palio or a Lancer)

2a) While I'm not looking for it to be the most well-equipped car, I think basic safety and kit, before I hit the after-market, would be appreciated. (Airbags, ABS, electrically adjustable stuff, etc...)

2b) In the same vein, cost of ownership shouldn't get me in to debt.

3) After checking the above two points, if it could be an enthusiasts dream / partial dream, this would be awesome.

4) And if we can throw decent space in to the mix, that's a sure-shot buy. (I'm just a little over 6feet tall and drive, in most cars, with the seat all the way back.)

While fuel efficiency is not really important (office will reimburse me a fair bit of my fuel every month...) I really don't know if I'm cut out for 5-7kmpl type car.

And of course, if all of this can be topped up with some modification capability -

For an absolute gem, I'd be willing to pay about 4. But ideally, I'd like to limit my buy to about 3.5.

My current state of confusion is because I've spent too much time in the Mod section (Binz's Baleno *drool*), the reviews section and I'm just getting the hang of being a daddy. I'm torn between finding a car that will be practical but also be something I'll be happy to get in to on a regular basis.

I test drove the GT TSI and loved it, but I'm not too keen on shelling out 9.5L on a hatch just yet. Also, I wholeheartedly subscribe to GTO's pov on pre-owned cars. And I haven't seen any pre-owned TSI's just yet. + I'm scared of VW's notorious after sales.

So any and all help, would be most appreciated.
Old 6th April 2014, 22:33   #643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingeljell View Post
After flaking out on picking up an OHC Vtec last year, I'm back again with more questions than answers for myself.

I'm in the market for a pre-owned car, preferably an enthusiasts companion and have whittled myself down to the following:

1) Civic
2) Baleno
3) Corolla
4) Verna - diesel

I'm open to all sorts of suggestions basis my requirements.

I know, at least by this threads standards, the Corolla(?) and Verna are not really enthusiasts cars, but from what I've heard the Corolla isn't so bad.

I'm just going to put my thoughts down as coherently I can and hope that someone here can help clear the fog in my head:

I've driven the Civic, Baleno and the Verna and quite liked all 3 actually. The Civic made me feel the most special, but the other 2 were quite fun as well and I've heard that the Corolla is also worth it. I'm going to be benching my buy on the following points:

1) Reliability is of most importance. I flaked out of picking up a car last year cause we (my wife and I) had our 2nd daughter, and I want to ensure that I don't pick up something that's going to be a headache instead of a helping hand. (This is also why I dropped the idea of a Palio or a Lancer)

2a) While I'm not looking for it to be the most well-equipped car, I think basic safety and kit, before I hit the after-market, would be appreciated. (Airbags, ABS, electrically adjustable stuff, etc...)

2b) In the same vein, cost of ownership shouldn't get me in to debt.

3) After checking the above two points, if it could be an enthusiasts dream / partial dream, this would be awesome.

4) And if we can throw decent space in to the mix, that's a sure-shot buy. (I'm just a little over 6feet tall and drive, in most cars, with the seat all the way back.)

While fuel efficiency is not really important (office will reimburse me a fair bit of my fuel every month...) I really don't know if I'm cut out for 5-7kmpl type car.

And of course, if all of this can be topped up with some modification capability -

Under normal circumstances, I would have told you to chuck all these out the window (unless you lust after that JDM look in which case, keep the Civic in the mix) and look at 1.6 Palios, Mitsubishi Cedias and VRS Octavias However, after learning that you're married with two kids of your own, I completely support your lookout for a safe and reliable car and while I find this difficult to say, since I would not even glance at this under normal circumstances, it makes perfect sense and mounds of it: The Toyota Corolla. The Civic won't pose issues as far as sourcing parts are concerned not for the next 6 years atleast but will begin to be expensive and at 4 lakhs you will not find an ideal one (post 2009 model) in good nick. The Verna is just that; a verna, and the Baleno while also a car I like, will be a pain to source parts for. Also, both the Baleno and Verna aren't safe cars at all. The Corolla is in no way an enthusiasts ride, but the creamy 1.8 petrol will keep you a very satisfied man while the plush ride will soothe your nerves during most days and it will always remain cheap and easy to maintain if at all that word ever comes up during ownership

Cheers!

Last edited by IshaanIan : 6th April 2014 at 22:36.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2014, 22:53   #644
Distinguished - BHPian

I would also tend to agree on the above lines and suggest you choose between the Corolla and the Civic. You might infact be better off with the Civic as you will easily find a less run and relatively new car compared to the Corolla. Parts and after sales should not be an issue with either one, much less anyways for the Civic.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2014, 13:03   #645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingeljell View Post

1) Reliability is of most importance.

2a)I think basic safety and kit, before I hit the after-market, would be appreciated. (Airbags, ABS, electrically adjustable stuff, etc...)

For an absolute gem, I'd be willing to pay about 4. But ideally, I'd like to limit my buy to about 3.5.

My current state of confusion is because I've spent too much time in the Mod section (Binz's Baleno *drool*),

And I haven't seen any pre-owned TSI's just yet. + I'm scared of VW's notorious after sales.

My two cents...

1. If you want a safe, sensible car, pick the Corolla. Nice low end torque which is critical in Bombay. While it may not make you feel as special as a Civic, frankly, I think it's more practical than the Civic- far better boot space, better GC given the state of B'bay roads, easy ingress and egress. I don't think you'll want to do mild mods like CAI, FFE, better spark plugs blah blah on NA petrols. IMHO too much 'natak' for too little gains plus a lack of refinement. Plus serious mods like strapping on a turbo demand too much time and money.

2. Alternately, try getting a Fiesta 1.6 versions with airbags. Real cheap in the used market plus the sweet handling and steering would put a smile. And just the right size for the city.

3. Mod potential = turbo petrols or diesels. Period.

4. If you can up your budget to 6, you can find good Laura TSIs of the 2010 vintage. Ticks all boxes and given the lack of gizmos, relatively more reliable. Option 2, pick up a Vento Highline TDI 2010 for 5/5.5.

Last edited by d_himan : 13th April 2014 at 13:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks