Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2010, 18:31   #136
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Now the market is floded with options, i dont see any particular car selling like the OHC (at a very low depreciation) 2-3 years from now.
I can think of some with excellent residuals:

- Fortuner
- Innova
- Swift + Dzire (especially) diesels

Quote:
There are good 2 year old fiiestas available for 3is range.
If I had a budget of 5 lakhs, instead of the Civic, I'd have a Fiesta 1.6S parked downstairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
But as an exception the Toyota Fortuner (if someone has it today and if he might be wanting to part with it), won't that guy make a decent profit. Isn't this how the back market deals for the Fortuners going around???
Well, I guess the difference is : Members are talking of using the car and then selling it. The Fortuner's premium is on new yet-to-be-delivered cars. And even that will be wiped out in 5 - 6 months (once the initial order backlog is cleared).

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Fortuner has so so ride quality ?
Haven't you read our Fortuner test report?
Old 8th April 2010, 18:37   #137
Senior - BHPian

A buyer with a 7-8 lac budget has the option for a pre-owned Civic in place of other brand new cars......How about the maintenance costs between these two segments? Also generally the high budgeted cars are comparatively powerful which obviously compromises on fuel........
Old 8th April 2010, 19:09   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Montero is an all-rounder of an SUV. Great choice, mouth-watering deals in the used market. Excellent ride, acceptable handling, well equipped, torquey diesel and stunning looks...the Mitsu has it all.

Keep looking. North India was amongst the biggest markets for the Montero. But even then, its a premium SUV that sold in single digits over most months. You will have to be patient.
Thanks GTO! have a few leads -
2007 Nov DI-D, white, manual, 57k kms, 25L
2007 Oct DI-D, silver, manual, 26k kms, 25L
2007 Sep DI-D, white, manual, 58k kms, 25L
2007 Jan GLS, silver, manual, 46k kms, 22L

All are asking prices. Not sure negotiable to what extent. Would be going for a viewing this weekend.

Though looking at the price difference, am not too keen on going for GLS as for an additional 3L, there would be a better engine (?), cruise control, etc albeit on a slower vehicle. What say?

PS - this lateral upgrade has come up on account of disposing off the very first car of my life - wagonR
Old 9th April 2010, 20:48   #139
BHPian

The second, with 26k, is quite a steal. Much better than other deals that you are getting.
WagonR to Montero, that's quite an upgrade!
Old 9th April 2010, 21:42   #140
JLN
BHPian

2005 Indica to 2002 Honda City

Hello folks,

In my search for a lateral upgrade to a sedan, I was looking at cars at a budget of around 7-8 lakhs. I came across an interesting option - a 2002 Honda City with 43K on the odo - mint condition, single owner and above all an AT. I will probably get the car for under 2.5 lakhs. The indica will fetch me around 1.8 lakhs (it has 84K on the odo). Do u think it is worth buying a great 7 year old car for virtually no additional spend to acquire the car, or should i stick to my earlier plan for a pre-worshipped almost new car. My main criteria is a sedan, with low maintenance hassles (only petrol since the expected drive on this car will be less than 10K a year - with atleast 1 highway trip every month).

Jayanth

Last edited by JLN : 9th April 2010 at 21:45.
Old 9th April 2010, 22:07   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman9393 View Post
The second, with 26k, is quite a steal. Much better than other deals that you are getting.
+1

Looks the best of the lot. If all turns out to be well with the vehicle then it would be a worthy contender/buy.
Old 9th April 2010, 23:28   #142
BHPian

" Ford’s new “Fiesta 1.6 @ 5.5 lakh rupee" offer "
What am I hearing here?
Old 9th April 2010, 23:34   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLN View Post
Hello folks,

In my search for a lateral upgrade to a sedan, I was looking at cars at a budget of around 7-8 lakhs. I came across an interesting option - a 2002 Honda City with 43K on the odo - mint condition, single owner and above all an AT. I will probably get the car for under 2.5 lakhs. The indica will fetch me around 1.8 lakhs (it has 84K on the odo). Do u think it is worth buying a great 7 year old car for virtually no additional spend to acquire the car, or should i stick to my earlier plan for a pre-worshipped almost new car. My main criteria is a sedan, with low maintenance hassles (only petrol since the expected drive on this car will be less than 10K a year - with atleast 1 highway trip every month).

Jayanth
With a budget of 7-8 lakhs i'd suggest you look for a 2-3 year old car if you plan on keeping it for another 5 years or more. Maybe a discussion for the "What Car?" section.
Old 10th April 2010, 00:20   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLN View Post
Hello folks,

Jayanth
If you've got a budget of 7-8 Lakh then, why should you buy a 2.5 Lakh car? You can get a better and relatively new car for your budget. Look for a Civic or Accord.
Old 10th April 2010, 13:19   #145
naj
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post

Anyways to cut the long story short my advise is to keep it as even if you get a decent enough vehicle ask yourself this, Will it be as well maintained as your 5year old 25k kms driven vehicle.
I think you'll get the answer.
Cheers
Thanks Harjeev.
I think you are right.I am retaining the Ikon .1.6. It drives and feels almost like new even now .And more over the thrill that the car gives especially on curves and winding hills is unmatched .

As suggested by GTO I have already got a new pair of shoes .
May be I will get a free flow next.

naj

Last edited by naj : 10th April 2010 at 13:20. Reason: grammatical mistake
Old 10th April 2010, 14:07   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogentr View Post
" Ford’s new “Fiesta 1.6 @ 5.5 lakh rupee" offer "
What am I hearing here?
yes, its the Fiesta 1.6 Limited Edition which has been there for more than 6 months now. Car has all basic features like PS, PW, CL, music system.
And its 5.5 ex-showroom Delhi. Bombay on road is 6.5 ish. Bangalore would be somewhat like 6.8 on road.
Old 11th April 2010, 07:05   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Thanks Harjeev.
I think you are right.I am retaining the Ikon .1.6. It drives and feels almost like new even now .And more over the thrill that the car gives especially on curves and winding hills is unmatched .

As suggested by GTO I have already got a new pair of shoes .
May be I will get a free flow next.

naj
Not atall buddy
my advise is go through this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...rade-swap.html

I've just posted a review of my Optra on this thread!!!
Old 12th April 2010, 10:43   #148
BHPian

Can't agree more on this GTO !

I sold my wife's 1 year Alto which we had picked up for INR 3.5 lacs (with some extra fittings etc) for INR 2.9 lacs. In return we picked up a sparingly used (10k run) Adventure 1.6 for INR 3.5 lacs.

One of my colleague who was so kicked about my Adventure, picked up one for himself (again 14k run, 3 year old) for INR 3 lacs and is now going to sell his 6 year old Corsa Sail which has done 30 k.

I agree, once you are hooked to this, buying a brand new car seems amazingly expensive.

I am now looking out for a sparingly used Chevrolet Forester, and sell my Dad's Corsa (7 year, 55 k run) . I know this may not sound as sweet, but lets see whats in store

Cheers
Vinay Sambaragimath
Old 12th April 2010, 15:03   #149
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
How about the maintenance costs between these two segments? Also generally the high budgeted cars are comparatively powerful which obviously compromises on fuel........
Jap to Jap, I wouldn't say my Civic will cost that much more than a City in upkeep. However, if you buy an 8 lakh rupee Accord or Mercedes Benz, that's going to be atleast 3 - 4X the parts cost of a new C segmenter. But then, you are also getting a lot more car for the money, is it not?

Agreed on the fuel efficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
2007 Oct DI-D, silver, manual, 26k kms, 25L
Asking price . Who cares about that anyways! Every seller is free to quote whatever he wants to. It's up to you to put in an offer that you consider as fair. If you like this particular example, tell him 20 is the max you'll pay. Never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay_ss View Post
I sold my wife's 1 year Alto which we had picked up for INR 3.5 lacs (with some extra fittings etc) for INR 2.9 lacs. In return we picked up a sparingly used (10k run) Adventure 1.6 for INR 3.5 lacs.
That's a lot more car for only 60 grand more. If only the Adventure didn't suffer from spare part supply issues.

Quote:
I am now looking out for a sparingly used Chevrolet Forester, and sell my Dad's Corsa (7 year, 55 k run) . I know this may not sound as sweet, but lets see whats in store
Am seeing clean Foresters for as low as 2.5 - 3.0 lakhs. Again, spare parts are rare.
Old 12th April 2010, 15:14   #150
BHPian

Thanks Aman, Abhinav and of course, GTO

Anyway, don't want to hijack this thread, therefore, am starting another one on my search of used Montero which others too can benefit from - journey so far..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks