Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2010, 18:45   #16
Team-BHP Support

In addition to the incremental amount, you need to budget 10% for contingencies especially if a euro car. I bought my Skoda remotely. Except for a noisy clutch, there was no indication that the water pump etc would be failing. Remember to do your homework and be over predictive about maintenance. I changed the clutch and timing belt well ahead of their normal life to offsets "sods law" that something remote could happen
Old 31st March 2010, 18:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Great thread GTO.

In 2007, my uncle wanted to change his 2002 model Santro LE [without PS]. He was looking at a spacious hatch. He was wanting to buy a new Indica Turbo, but my dad advised him to go for used vehicle.
He got 2 lakhs for the Santro and got a 15k kms run 2005 model indica V2 DLG for 3.3 lakhs.
Old 31st March 2010, 18:59   #18
BHPian

Great thread.. what I have been following so far :

Alto vx (new) -> santro XO (new) -> Corolla (2004, H2 -> 4.6l about 1.5 years ago )

My father moved from Innova to a used CRV 2004 model 2 years ago , saved him about 50k

Please make this thread sticky.
Old 31st March 2010, 19:51   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I changed the clutch and timing belt well ahead of their normal life to offsets "sods law" that something remote could happen
Preventive maintenance rocks! And is especially important when buying pre-owned. I got a complete service done on my Civic, prior to delivery, even though it wasn't really necessary. Rather be safe than sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
In 2007, my uncle wanted to change his 2002 model Santro LE [without PS]. He was looking at a spacious hatch. He was wanting to buy a new Indica Turbo, but my dad advised him to go for used vehicle.
Sweet deal! Your Dad seems to be our kinda guy . For only a lakh odd more, your uncle got a substantially more spacious hatch, that's newer, diesel and acceptably quick too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by singh.amrit View Post
Alto vx (new) -> santro XO (new) -> Corolla (2004, H2 -> 4.6l about 1.5 years ago )
Believe me, Amrit, once you get used to buying pre-worshipped, its hard to pay full rupee for a new car anymore. I know I am not buying brand new for a long time...Then, one starts thinking of all the possible mods using only a fraction of the $ saved.

Quote:
My father moved from Innova to a used CRV 2004 model 2 years ago , saved him about 50k
Killer deal! I heard of someone selling a Qualis, buying a used Innova and profiting at the end of it!
Old 31st March 2010, 20:45   #20
BHPian

Maan, is this just what i didnt want to read

I've been using a non-turbo Indica for 5 yrs now and really looking for a change. The Punto had been on my list all this while, but today after TD'ing the Figo, am tempted by the sheer VFM it offers.

But, all this while I've been wondering if I was financially right to sell off the car and buy a new one - I know its not, but been convincing myself that I should do what my heart says (not the head!). Buying a used car was top of my list until a few months back and now this thread more than leaves me convinced to do so - and the thought of a Pete'd ELantra Crdi, heck wouldn't it be fun if I were to find one!

thanks a bunch GTO, for starting this thread!
Old 31st March 2010, 21:11   #21
BHPian

I guess I too made a lateral upgrade. We (read as "I") needed a sedan so sold '07 Innova G4 for 7l and took a '08 Corolla A/T for 7.5l

Last edited by prateekm : 31st March 2010 at 21:13.
Old 31st March 2010, 21:37   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Lateral, by definition, means toward the side. On Team-BHP, the term lateral upgrading means to sell used and buy used.
Exactly. I was wondering because to me Lateral=Transverse=sideways. Thanks for clarifying.

Quote:
Friendly Mod Aditya
Moderator Ajmat
Don't tell me Ajmat has stopped being friendly.

Quote:
Family demands a sedan, his running doesn’t really dictate a diesel, hence he is buying an ‘09 Ford Fiesta 1.6S for Rs. 4.75 lakhs.
I'm sure he was influenced by the numerous Fiesta threads here.

Quote:
A BHPian who was tired of his 6 year old Maruti 800 sold it for Rs. 1 lakh, added another Rs. 1.5 lakhs to the kitty and drove home in an '07 Hyundai Getz.
Wow. Now I think I'm getting tired of my car too. Time to hunt for a bargain. BTW are all the deals you mentioned in Mumbai itself? Delhi & Mumbai seem to the best places to hunt for bargains.

Quote:
Out went the NHC for Rs. 4.6 lakhs and in came a end 2006 Honda Accord 2.4 AT that had run only 36,000 kms. Price = 8.0 lakhs. For only 3.5 lakhs more, he got a proper D segment car (two segments higher) that's roomier than the Mercedes E-Class. Plus, a whole lot more power, safety, a nice automatic transmission and within extended warranty coverage.
I would have opted for a Civic in this case. The Accord does not look as good as a Civic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
How does a 2006 immaculately maintained Sonata Embera Automatic with leather seats from the factory used for 16000 odd kms for 6.5 lacs sound?
Sounds like Music. Go for it.

This is a great thread. Now we can use it for our Lateral Upgrades. Hope to post one of mine soon.

Last edited by Live To Jive : 31st March 2010 at 21:45.
Old 31st March 2010, 22:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

Lateral upgrading is possible with cars having bad resale too. One needs to upgrade to the next best brand instead of goin for a maruti or Toyota. Lateral upgrades also work for new cars. For e.g.

Sold 2000 WagonR in December for 1.4. Was in the market looking for a similarly roomy hatch. Looked at Chevrolet Beat 1.2, upcoming Ford Figo and Indica Vista Petrol. I would've effectively shelled out 2.7 for a brand new car in the same segment with better features and safety.

And here's an example of lateral upgradation for a car with lesser resale. A 2006 Chevrolet Aveo 1.6 might fetch 2.0. I can look at a new Mahindra Logan, or an Accent for about 3.0 more. If looking at used I will go for a Ford or a hyundai Verna. Looking at the right upgrade is very important.

edit: Which reminds me. I should start looking for a used Accord v6 or Sonata or Laura to upgrade from my Lancer in sometime. never owned a used before makes one suspect if its a worthwhile investment.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 31st March 2010 at 22:05.
Old 31st March 2010, 22:07   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Lateral upgrading is possible with cars having bad resale too.
Logan Petrol, Cedia, Elantra etc make good buys at the price they are available.
Old 1st April 2010, 01:23   #25
BHPian

Hey GTO once again congrats on your Civic ... i know this is the right forum

I own a 2003 Accent which I bought in 2005 with only 11K on odo at 2.8 L

After using the Car for 5 years I decided to sell her and upgrade but was confused on what to upgrade with 2.5 L in hand along with my Car.

However the deal was not sounding practice for me as I use my Car only on weekends for roaming in city for last 5 years I have added 40K on odo

So spending 2.5 L for something I don't use more often was illogical and I still love to drive my Accent

So finally I made the decision of spending 40K on her to get her repainted, rust proofing, suspension overhaul (if someone can help me I would love to put details of my partial re-built project)

Now have Accent which is re-built, New paint job, good ICE setup which can be used for another 2-3 years (considering the fact Hyundai is still selling Accent)

So all in all initial cost 2.8+ partial re-built 40K = 3.2 L in this price if I get a sedan to use for 7-8 years I would be happy to sell her in 1 L or may be les than that after 2-3 years and would be still happy as I have got returns on my money
Old 1st April 2010, 11:24   #26
BHPian

GTO

I have a budget of 7 Lakhs - but i am looking at buying an additional car (therefore its not a lateral upgrade, but a second hand purchase). I would like to buy a reliable diesel from the C & D segment. What are my options? Do you think i could find a Skoda Laura?
Old 1st April 2010, 11:33   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Firstly, thank you for the 5 star rating on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcruiser View Post
I've been using a non-turbo Indica for 5 yrs now and really looking for a change....and the thought of a Pete'd ELantra Crdi, heck wouldn't it be fun if I were to find one!
Aha, a Pete'd Elantra makes for a heck of a buy! I also recommend a Fiesta 1.6 or a Cedia for the driving enthusiast in you. Either of these would have far superior dynamics to the Elantra, though in torque, it's the Hyundai for that "kick". Good news is, all three go filthy cheap in the used market

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
I guess I too made a lateral upgrade. We (read as "I") needed a sedan so sold '07 Innova G4 for 7l and took a '08 Corolla A/T for 7.5l
Obviously your needs changed with time, and you (smartly) fulfilled those for only 50 grand more. A newer car, an AT & a Toyota. Perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
I'm sure he was influenced by the numerous Fiesta threads here.
Actually, in the midst of a casual conversation, he happened to mention the 1.6S.

Me = " What are you waiting for"
He = "Is it satisfying to drive"
Me = "Like how. Tight chassis + revv happy engine. Best drivers car today < 10 lakhs"
He = "Cutting a cheque. Thanks".

Quote:
BTW are all the deals you mentioned in Mumbai itself? Delhi & Mumbai seem to the best places to hunt for bargains.
Yes, the real life examples I've given are primarily from Mumbai. Delhi is even cheaper, though Southern States will work out most expensive. That said, new cars are more expensive in say, Bangalore, to start with...thus, I don't see any difference in the value to be had (even down South).

Quote:
I would have opted for a Civic in this case. The Accord does not look as good as a Civic.
His requirement was a proper sedan for 5 adults. The Accord suited that need better than the Civic. It has substantially greater interior space.

Quote:
Hope to post one of mine soon.
Look forward to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Lateral upgrades also work for new cars.
The world sells their old car in the used market and buys new. The purpose of this thread is to very specifically let other BHPians know of how to upgrade for less $$$.

Quote:
Which reminds me. I should start looking for a used Accord v6 or Sonata or Laura to upgrade from my Lancer in sometime. never owned a used before makes one suspect if its a worthwhile investment.
An Accord V6 or a Civic are super upgrades over the Lancer. Believe me, once you master the art of buying used jewels, its impossible to go out and buy a new car anymore. Such is the value!

Quote:
Originally Posted by viraj_s85 View Post
So finally I made the decision of spending 40K on her to get her repainted, rust proofing, suspension overhaul (if someone can help me I would love to put details of my partial re-built project)
End of the day, retaining your existing car is the easiest on your wallet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
I have a budget of 7 Lakhs - but i am looking at buying an additional car (therefore its not a lateral upgrade, but a second hand purchase). I would like to buy a reliable diesel from the C & D segment. What are my options? Do you think i could find a Skoda Laura?
A Laura makes sense only if covered by warranty; part failures are on the higher side while the parts themselves cost a bomb. For 7 lakhs, you could try looking out for a Sonata Embera (believe me, a excellent machine), an Optra Magnum or an Octavia 1.9 TDi (extremely robust, 10X more so than the Laura). If you can wait for a year, the Chevy Cruze is possible in 7 - 8 lakhs.

Do you have to buy diesel? If you are open to petrols, we have a much wider choice.

Last edited by GTO : 1st April 2010 at 11:37.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2010, 11:50   #28
BHPian

GTO - That was bang on target. Awesome thread.
Old 1st April 2010, 11:57   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Do you have to buy diesel? If you are open to petrols, we have a much wider choice.
Thanks for the tip on the Laura

I know what you mean and i came pretty close to buying a used civic for a good price. Since i am entering the real estate business, i will be driving in excess of 100 km a day on poor roads. The ideal car is a fuel efficient diesel sedan that has good ground clearance.

1. Octavia doesnt work for me because inspite of its size, its extremely uncomfortable for tall drivers like me
2. Cruze sounds interesting - i hope there are good examples in the market fairly soon
3. Sonata / Optra, while they maybe good cars, i dont favour them too much because of the fear of not getting quality A.S.S in the future

Last edited by acidkill : 1st April 2010 at 12:01.
Old 1st April 2010, 12:10   #30
BHPian

Excellent article GTO.
Am in the lookout for the exact same things as suggested by you. I presently own an NHC '04, I will be looking to spend another 4L after trading this to an '07 Accord or a Civic. It makes absolute sense to do this instead of shelling out 15L for a new Civic or 22L for a new Accord. What say ?

Most Viewed