Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2017, 23:30   #436
Senior - BHPian

Re: Confusion...Confusion Confusion..Please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakashutosh View Post
My wants- Automatic, 4wd, Diesel. A car that I can run for another 5-7 years without feeling it to be a compromise

Used Endy- Pros- Big and powerful. Cons- Not very sure about ASS and maintenance cost
If you find a good Endeavour just go for it Your requirements are perfectly taken care of, a used example won't even max your budget out, gone are the days of bittersweet relationships with Mondeos and Ikons, availability and service is executed well for all current Fords. Just call the best Ford dealer in town and ask them for a test-drive you will fall in love with the car

Last edited by IshaanIan : 11th December 2017 at 23:31.
Old 20th February 2018, 13:20   #437
BHPian

Re: Confusion...Confusion Confusion..Please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
If you find a good Endeavour just go for it Your requirements are perfectly taken care of, a used example won't even max your budget out, gone are the days of bittersweet relationships with Mondeos and Ikons, availability and service is executed well for all current Fords. Just call the best Ford dealer in town and ask them for a test-drive you will fall in love with the car
As someone who is thoroughly convinced with the Endeavour, I would love to upgrade from my current Storme to a 3.2 4x4 A/T. Instead of plonking all the money for a new one and suffer a dep hit, I'm wondering if it would make sense to do a classic Lateral Upgrade and look for a pre loved 2016 Endeavour (these have started popping up on the used car market now)

Im getting some good examples in around 23-25 lac price point in the NCR market now.

My concerns are

1. Though only a small thing, that 2016 sync2 is an issue for me. The sync 3 upgrade happened only in Jan 2017. I will have to wait for another year to start seeing sync3 kitted Endy's in the used market.

2.The facelift is just around the corner. Maybe it may bring some new small goodies into the Endy. Will it drop the 'pre-facelift' option's price a bit more favourably for me?

3.At 25 lacs budget, is it sensible to buy Pre loved or stretch to new? At what price point does it actually make sense to settle for pre loved?

4.The Extended warranty top up seems to be a thin lifeline that I could hang on to, to get some company support after buying pre loved. Ford seems to have sorted their house in order and the high running Endy's in our forum seem to be a happy with ASS support largely.

Last edited by vigneshkumar31 : 20th February 2018 at 13:24.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 03:22   #438

Re: ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)

I currently drive a Swift ZXI 1.3 and looking to upgrade.Was used to driving AT's in US and now am facing issues with clutch and end up replacing it .I am not sure about others but like the seating comfort and drive in my swift.I use it for office commute and also bi monthly long drives out of city.

Here's what I am looking for in my next car :

Mileage
Low Cost of Maintenance
Back seat Comfort for my father/mother
Driving comfort in the city
Re-sale value after 3-4 years

I am leaning towards automatics and diesels with these constraints.Would not mind Petrols with good mileage as they are more fun to drive.Budget is around 7-12L.Would like to buy a Sedan or Crossover as I think height would make for more comfortable drive.Also would love a car that would be fun to drive on highways.Expecting to drive around 20 K per year.

I do understand it's a very tough to meet all the criteria and hence the title.Request the help of Team Bhp experts in helping me decide.
Old 20th March 2018, 12:07   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_V View Post

Here's what I am looking for in my next car :

Mileage
Low Cost of Maintenance
Back seat Comfort for my father/mother
Driving comfort in the city
Re-sale value after 3-4 years

I am leaning towards automatics and diesels with these constraints.Would not mind Petrols with good mileage as they are more fun to drive.Budget is around 7-12L.Would like to buy a Sedan or Crossover as I think height would make for more comfortable drive.Also would love a car that would be fun to drive on highways.Expecting to drive around 20 K per year.

I do understand it's a very tough to meet all the criteria and hence the title.Request the help of Team Bhp experts in helping me decide.
Few options to consider :

1. Figo Aspire -
- Fun to drive
- Punchy Diesel, good for highways
- Running costs low
Only Negative being it's not an automatic. Also, not sure about rear seat comfort. Others can help you out on that.

2. Vento TDI DSG -
- Mostly ticks all the boxes but price might go out of budget.
- DSG woes.

3. Toyota Yaris Sedan
- If you want resale value, then look no further than Toyota. You'll have to wait a bit for this one though.
- Only Petrol.
- Should be punchy.
- Wait for the verdict on handling

4. Ecosport
- Good urban SUV
- Good highway manners
- Automatic only in petrol, Diesel is a manual.
Rohan24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 15:50   #440
BHPian

Upgraded my used car with another used car!!

I upgraded my car Yayy!!

Background:-

In 2011, I bought my first card (A pre-owned 2006 Swift VXi (ABS), had done about 60K kms on the ODO when I got it back then, I had to get a hatchback then to suit my requirements of seating 4-5 people comfortably.

This swift popped up at the Mahindra First Choice showroom near my place and I grabbed it. Was in great condition.

I was more than happy with the car, never had a single let down on highway or in the city (except once, in my basement), where the fuel lines were cut open by rodents, and the car stalled right in the basement. Called in a mechanic and resolved within an hour, but this baby never let me down on the highway ever!!

There were rodent infestations twice under the bonnet (just near the AC vents), I’d removed a total of 19 pups and reinforced the area with double mesh and that never happened again.

I had to move the swift out, when I sold it, last week, it had done 88K on the ODO (did not run a whole lot in the years I had).

Reason for Upgrade:-

Back in 2011, I wasn’t married; family was my mother, and two sisters. However, In 2012 I got married and we now have a 4 year old girl (who needs more and more space), plus my in-laws who live nearby too and we move along on drives/trips together, each time I had to hire a cab or zoom car to make it happen. Also my 4 year old now requires a whole lot of space with her toys and stuff.

We are also expecting our 2nd Baby due in June, and had to get a larger car NOW. I know won’t be mobile for a while after delivery, however I decided to take the plunge and went for it.

I really wanted to go for the Innova or the XUV (did not think of Tata’s) – I wanted a peace of mind in terms of reliability and comfort.

A friend’s friend was selling his XUV W4; a 2014 W4 that he did not budge to negotiate at all. I looked around a few other XUV’s before I shifted to look towards my favorite “Innova” – had a tough time convincing my wife with an Innova – she agreed and I called up Toyota “UTrust” _ The Toyota showroom happens to be the next building from my apartment.

They came in, evaluated my car, gave me a decent price, I looked at this 2012 Innova GX (single owner) really good condition, done 99K on the ODO. I OKAYED it after a test drive with my wife and kid.

Took about a week to get the paperwork and the loan done, Damn the used car loan interest rates are pretty high, so I went in for a pre-approved PL, 4% lower than a used car loan.

Playing guitar has been my passion, I also repair guitar amplifiers and effects pedals, which in turn helps me meet various musicians, and I met one such guy just the day after I took the test drive and the day before I OKAYED the car, he apparently heads another dealership and helped me pull out the service history of this vehicle in no time, that helped me understand there were NO major accidents/repairs done on this car, service intervals were about 4-6K KMS by the previous owner and the history did not suggest anything major.

This helped me confirm to the dealership that I am going with the vehicle and booked the car.

The process with uTrust was very simple and the vehicle was serviced, cleaned well before delivery.

After getting the car, I replaced a few things, it had a single DIN head unit that I replaced with a 2DIN Pioneer unit, replaced the horn with Skoda type horn and 100/90 HLS. I had this done on my swift too.

I am a happy camper at the end of it; thought would share this with you all! I have so far only done 100Kms in the 4 days I’ve had the car.

I shall report once I’ve done a few long trips, that we have planned, as this is the month I can move along with my wife, and then will be grounded for a few months after delivery.

Cheers!!
Arya
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)-front-full.jpeg  

ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)-rear-full.jpeg  

ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)-side-full.jpeg  

ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)-dash.jpg  

ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)-head-reverse.jpg  

Last edited by gearbox : 3rd April 2018 at 15:52.
gearbox is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 17:14   #441

Re: Upgraded my used car with another used car!!

Congratulations, she looks quite good. Toyota vehicles age quite well, 99K is nothing for Innova. Do share the price to help others.

Enjoy the ownership and long drives with family in the MPV.
IRideScent is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 21:55   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRideScent View Post
Congratulations, she looks quite good. Toyota vehicles age quite well, 99K is nothing for Innova. Do share the price to help others.

Enjoy the ownership and long drives with family in the MPV.
Hey Thank You, I paid 9.9L for this one.

I felt there was a premium of about 30-40K over the market price, however I went for it, knowing the peace of mind I'd have dealing with uTrust and their service/refurbishments on the vehicle before delivery.

There were a few issues, i.e. Door fabric was missing, Right Hand Rear Light' Enclosure was broken, and some other minor issues, like AC blower was slow and such were fixed by uTrust, overall a happy camper so far!!
gearbox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2018, 01:08   #443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
Hey Thank You, I paid 9.9L for this one.

I felt there was a premium of about 30-40K over the market price, however I went for it, knowing the peace of mind I'd have dealing with uTrust and their service/refurbishments on the vehicle before delivery.
I am saying this from experience, While spending on used cars, it's okay to pay minimum of 10% more for a car with solid history and mint condition.

Percentage does differ on the product and price, e.g a good German car from a known person doesn't need any premium offers, getting them at market price is a win-win situation for both.

For cars like Innova, Fortuner, swift etc it makes sense to get the one which will serve you for a long time, rather than getting a bargain then spending more than what you saved for service.
giri1.8 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2018, 07:53   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
I am saying this from experience, While spending on used cars, it's okay to pay minimum of 10% more for a car with solid history and mint condition.

Percentage does differ on the product and price, e.g a good German car from a known person doesn't need any premium offers, getting them at market price is a win-win situation for both.

For cars like Innova, Fortuner, swift etc it makes sense to get the one which will serve you for a long time, rather than getting a bargain then spending more than what you saved for service.
I agree with you, when I bought my swift back in ‘11 I ended up paying around 30K more than the market price, never faced any issues, any issues were only minor. Regular service sorted them for me.

Had to change the clutch at some point, but that’s all.

I thought I did well with the Innova, while the swift fetched me 1 lac less than I bought it for in 2011, I felt that was very less depreciation considering the years I’d used it.
I’d bought the swift for 3L and was offered 2L while selling.
Old 10th April 2018, 04:14   #445
BHPian

Oh and one very important thing that I’ve noticed since the day I’ve had this car is, even when exposed under direct sunlight for 4 hours (which happened last Sunday), when I got into the car, the cabin wasn’t hot- whereas with my swift, I used to open all doors and leave it open for atleast for 15 minutes for the heat to escape.

Something that tells me the insulation in this car is definitely serious when compared to my swift.
A small yet very important factor I’d say.

I’d done glass wool insulation in my swift and yet it wouldnt work well.
Old 5th June 2018, 09:47   #446
BHPian

Posting here to know what fellow BHPians think about it. Would it make sense to go for a pre-owned 2017 S-Cross 1.6 Alpha (14k kms) after selling off my 2014 Elite i20 Asta Diesel (40k km) for about 4 lakhs more if the car sees highways about 80% of the time?

Elite i20 was bought at launch. So, even if it is Asta trim, it misses out on some niceties like projectors, touchscreen, etc which are nice to have but not important. Car will be out of warranty in a couple of months, but, nothing's wrong with the car, feels as good as new.

S-Cross in question is 2017 model with newer alloys, but pre-facelift. So, with extended warranty, I'll be set for the next 4 years. Looks aren't that important, but is the upgrade in engine and handling department worth the money? Asking price is 9.75L.

Last but not the least, I understand this is like jumping from a slower moving boat to a faster one. It has to be timed perfectly, and far too many things can go awry for it to not pan out. But, is it worth the hassle? Or should I stick to i20 for now, and look at a more substantial upgrade down the line?
Old 5th June 2018, 11:10   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhu_hs View Post
Posting here to know what fellow BHPians think about it. Would it make sense to go for a pre-owned 2017 S-Cross 1.6 Alpha (14k kms) after selling off my 2014 Elite i20 Asta Diesel (40k km) for about 4 lakhs more if the car sees highways about 80% of the time?

Elite i20 was bought at launch. So, even if it is Asta trim, it misses out on some niceties like projectors, touchscreen, etc which are nice to have but not important. Car will be out of warranty in a couple of months, but, nothing's wrong with the car, feels as good as new.

S-Cross in question is 2017 model with newer alloys, but pre-facelift. So, with extended warranty, I'll be set for the next 4 years. Looks aren't that important, but is the upgrade in engine and handling department worth the money? Asking price is 9.75L.

Last but not the least, I understand this is like jumping from a slower moving boat to a faster one. It has to be timed perfectly, and far too many things can go awry for it to not pan out. But, is it worth the hassle? Or should I stick to i20 for now, and look at a more substantial upgrade down the line?
14k run SCross alpha is nothing, it has not even been run in . If the price feels, good for you, please go for it. Note that the i20 Diesel itself is no slouch, I owned the 2012 version and it was a pocket rocket, but let down by its terrible highway manners. This is where the SCross will score, its highway manners are second to none and it is quite comfortable to be in as well, with the Alpha variant having gizmos as well. It does not have rear ac vents, if it is important for you.

Keep in mind though that the SCross has depreciated a lot from 15L to 9.75L now and it would probably depreciate more if and when you decide to sell it. However, it is a very capable and wonderful car for the highways and you will not regret it. A remap, will make it a monster too
arvind71181 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2018, 08:56   #448
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhu_hs View Post
It's definitely something I would consider if my driving was primarily on the highway. More power + better build + better handling & stability + driving pleasure. Plus, it's newer and has far lesser km.

Go for it. She'll make you smile on your highway drives.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2018, 12:11   #449

I own a 2011 Beat Diesel LTO with 68K on Odo. The car is serving us well, but due to addition of a baby in family, we need more space. I will be able to sell this off for 200K. I am eyeing an 2015 Ford Ecosport Diesel Signature odo 49K at 750K. Is it a good upgrade? Also, I am not sure if old ecosport is a good choice, or should I stick to something Maruti. Appreciate thoughts of BHPians.
Old 22nd June 2018, 15:00   #450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat runner View Post
I own a 2011 Beat Diesel LTO with 68K on Odo. The car is serving us well, but due to addition of a baby in family, we need more space. I will be able to sell this off for 200K. I am eyeing an 2015 Ford Ecosport Diesel Signature odo 49K at 750K. Is it a good upgrade? Also, I am not sure if old ecosport is a good choice, or should I stick to something Maruti. Appreciate thoughts of BHPians.
Why not also look at the Fiesta as well? Not the classic but the bigger newer generation one with the 1.5dci motor? It has just as much if not maybe a little more space than the ecosport (definitely bigger boot), much better driving dynamics, stronger build, and as a result of its lower center of gravity, it is also less prone to toppling over. With a family I would definitely go for the safest choice. You should be able to fetch a good one although hard to come across, for a good price as well since they have pretty poor resale value.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks