Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2018, 17:17   #451
BHPian
 
kraken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Cochin
Posts: 72
Thanked: 111 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat runner View Post
I own a 2011 Beat Diesel LTO with 68K on Odo. The car is serving us well, but due to addition of a baby in family, we need more space. I will be able to sell this off for 200K. I am eyeing an 2015 Ford Ecosport Diesel Signature odo 49K at 750K. Is it a good upgrade? Also, I am not sure if old ecosport is a good choice, or should I stick to something Maruti. Appreciate thoughts of BHPians.
I know a lot of knowledgeable Bhpians have lent their expert advice. I would like to put forward a suggestion, if you are looking across brands, may I suggest you look for a well maintained Vento Diesel diesel manual (I've omitted the DSG since there is a lingering doubt over the reliability). I've been in a minor accident in my Polo TDI and I was fairly surprised how the vehicle stood up. And it was an early model with no airbags but still very sturdy. Newer cars will be much better equipped, in terms of safety and gizmos (for eg anti pinch windows which will save little toddlers hands in an event). Volkswagens IMHO have very good highway manners, a decent boot and will return good FE. Plus you can get good examples of Ventos at really good prices since resale is low.
Just a suggestion ! Happy car hunting !
kraken is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2018, 18:02   #452
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 14
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Mod note: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Why not also look at the Fiesta as well? Not the classic but the bigger newer generation one with the 1.5dci motor? It has just as much if not maybe a little more space than the ecosport (definitely bigger boot), much better driving dynamics, stronger build, and as a result of its lower center of gravity, it is also less prone to toppling over. With a family I would definitely go for the safest choice. You should be able to fetch a good one although hard to come across, for a good price as well since they have pretty poor resale value.
Thanks, thats a valuable advice. I like the new Fiesta, but those are very rare to spot in used car market. I tried to search, but could not find one. I will keep on looking. It looks stunning as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken View Post
I know a lot of knowledgeable Bhpians have lent their expert advice. I would like to put forward a suggestion, if you are looking across brands, may I suggest you look for a well maintained Vento Diesel diesel manual (I've omitted the DSG since there is a lingering doubt over the reliability). I've been in a minor accident in my Polo TDI and I was fairly surprised how the vehicle stood up. And it was an early model with no airbags but still very sturdy. Newer cars will be much better equipped, in terms of safety and gizmos (for eg anti pinch windows which will save little toddlers hands in an event). Volkswagens IMHO have very good highway manners, a decent boot and will return good FE. Plus you can get good examples of Ventos at really good prices since resale is low.
Just a suggestion ! Happy car hunting !
Thank you! I somehow always had this impression that Volkswagens are costlier to maintain than comparable others. Will consider Vento also in the options for build quality and safety features ( though, for looks, it is not so charming :-) )

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd June 2018 at 18:20. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.
beat runner is offline  
Old 24th June 2018, 08:54   #453
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 14
Thanked: 6 Times
Default The Lateral Upgrade Quest

I own a 2011 Beat Diesel LTO, odo 68K. The car is well equipped ( Airbags, ABS, ACC) and has served us really well over last many years.

With addition of a baby:-) in our family, we are looking for something bigger, as grandparents have started visiting the baby frequently, and we anyways need more space to fix the baby seat and carry the stroller.

GTOs thread on lateral upgrade got me thinking. Me being a value buyer, I started to list down what I need in the lateral upgrade. I am expecting to get 200K for the Beat.

Must have -
1. Space
2. Safety - Airbags and ABS
3. Diesel with good FE
4. 3 to 4 years, with 40K on odo.
5. Service history
6. Good GC
7. Power - Something much better than beat - Beat struggles with AC On.

With above in mind and a budget of 7-800 K, we started our search, and some options which we could spot were -
1. Honda WRV with 1 year and 16K odo. Diesel Top end - Asking price is 10.3 but I am sure this may come down to around 9.

2. Ford Ecosport- 1.5 Titanium + - 60K, 4 year old, 750 asking price. Liked this more for driving than the WRV.

3. Another option we would like to consider is Scross 1.6, but did not get any options.

Test drove brezza in past and somehow, felt that build is not as strong in build/ door as our Beat ( equal chances ofI being either right or wrong here :-) ) so decided to skip that.

In old car markets here in Hyd, I was surprised to see most of the cars with between 60-70 Km on Odo, between 3 to 5 years use. Statistically, having so many used cars with similar odo in market makes me think whether these are tampered numbers. So above options are the ones from reliable sources - individuals or showrooms.

I also read the relevant threads on WRV and EcoSport. My concern is, getting an EcoSport with 50-60 k on odo - will that be durable at least for next 4 years, or I should spend on getting something like the less used WRV which comes with engine warranty etc etc? Appreciate your opinion!
beat runner is offline  
Old 24th June 2018, 12:45   #454
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 57
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat runner View Post
Must have -
....
3. Diesel with good FE
With your low running (~10k km an year) why don't you consider petrol ones also? You must be able to get never/less run versions of WRV or ecosport if you are fine with the power.

Among the options you listed I would pick WRV as it has lesser kilometers and you get a never car in addition to getting more space inside.

Cheers!
y448 is offline  
Old 30th June 2018, 18:39   #455
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 14
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)

Quote:
Originally Posted by y448 View Post
With your low running (~10k km an year) why don't you consider petrol ones also? You must be able to get never/less run versions of WRV or ecosport if you are fine with the power.

Among the options you listed I would pick WRV as it has lesser kilometers and you get a never car in addition to getting more space inside.

Cheers!
Thank you! Somehow, I am fixated on diesel, and with the current fuel prices and petrol mileage numbers,diesel started making more sense! So current status is - Checked new as well as old ecosport, but did not like it much. On the way to ford dealership, visited tata, and took nexon test drive. And wow! Both of us (me and wifey) liked it immediately over other options considered. So now, contemplating on old wrv or new nexon d xm!
beat runner is offline  
Old 2nd July 2018, 12:49   #456
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 756
Thanked: 790 Times
Default Re: The Lateral Upgrade Quest

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat runner View Post
In old car markets here in Hyd, I was surprised to see most of the cars with between 60-70 Km on Odo, between 3 to 5 years use. Statistically, having so many used cars with similar odo in market makes me think whether these are tampered numbers. So above options are the ones from reliable sources - individuals or showrooms.
Considering you are in Hyderabad, I would suggest to buy a new Ecosport/Creta, as the resale values are high. One would rather buy a new car, thrash it for 4-5 years (1-2 Lakh km's) and sell it.

One has to be patient or lucky to get a less mileage diesel car in Hyderabad. Another option is to look out for well maintained Duster's (2014 or later), which you would get for a relatively less price(around 7L onwards).
jetsetgo08 is offline  
Old 5th July 2018, 23:05   #457
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 14
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: The Lateral Upgrade Quest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Considering you are in Hyderabad, I would suggest to buy a new Ecosport/Creta, as the resale values are high. One would rather buy a new car, thrash it for 4-5 years (1-2 Lakh km's) and sell it.

One has to be patient or lucky to get a less mileage diesel car in Hyderabad. Another option is to look out for well maintained Duster's (2014 or later), which you would get for a relatively less price(around 7L onwards).
I realized this after reading your comment. I have hardly come across anything less than 50~60k km. Anything below that, the price does not justify buying old. Will keep waiting for some more days to see if I get a deal. Saw some dusters but those were also 60-70k plus . If not, i will go ahead with Nexon!

Not relevant to the thread, but the test-drive at tata was a really good experience.
beat runner is offline  
Old 6th July 2018, 09:31   #458
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 756
Thanked: 790 Times
Default Re: The Lateral Upgrade Quest

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat runner View Post
Will keep waiting for some more days to see if I get a deal. Saw some dusters but those were also 60-70k plus .
This is one recent ad that caught my eye. You might want to look at it.

https://www.olx.in/item/renault-dust...-ID1lqXkb.html

I am nowhere related to the seller.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 10:37   #459
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,771
Thanked: 1,837 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)

I periodically scan Carwale for low used good pre-owned deals. Have also occasionally taken quotes for my own cars. My random experiences are listed below. This should be understood in the context of Mumbai market - it is possible that the situation is different in other cities:

1. It seems like most trades are based with dealers and its quite hard to find C2C ads.
2. Dealers really do seem to demand way too excessive a mark up when buying. And widely varying. Just as a reference, a particular dealer recently offered me X on my GT. Infinity second hand purchaser actually offered me X-4 lakh (despite this being in the context of my possibly purchasing an upgraded BMW from them).
3. For the same car where someone offered me X, his quoted price for a second hand owned car of same year and similar kms was X + 7 lakhs. Only difference is variant was Luxury line vs my sportsline but my car had 2 year comprehensive BSI and warranty remaining whereas his was out of warranty (had only standard 2 / 3 year package).
4. It just seems to me increasingly that while lateral upgrades sound good on paper.

I guess the one thing you need to be prepared for when scouting such trades is patience - for both buy and sell.

In any case, I think this is an open post for any tips or insights people may have to make such transactions more balanced. Currently from whatever interactions I have had with dealers I feel its only the dealer laughing all the way to the bank.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 11:01   #460
Senior - BHPian
 
agambhandari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Delhi,Ludhiana
Posts: 1,359
Thanked: 1,467 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I periodically scan Carwale for low used good pre-owned deals. Have also occasionally taken quotes for my own cars. My random experiences are listed below. This should be understood in the context of Mumbai market - it is possible that the situation is different in other cities:
.

In any case, I think this is an open post for any tips or insights people may have to make such transactions more balanced. Currently from whatever interactions I have had with dealers I feel its only the dealer laughing all the way to the bank.
Exactly my observations, heck sometimes their quotes are so low for used cars that I like to ask them, wow such a low price .. do you have a similar car for such a price, I buy it immediately for such a steal

Such upgrades need patience and negotiations and that too with individuals. Needs a stroke of luck if you want to find such a thing with dealers.
agambhandari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 11:23   #461
BHPian
 
self_driven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NCR
Posts: 441
Thanked: 959 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
It just seems to me increasingly that while lateral upgrades sound good on paper.
I agree. When one walks in for a car exchange, dealers are known to do such tactics. They'll offer a good quote for your existing car and rip you off when you purchase its replacement from them.

It needs a lot of patience to execute lateral upgrades from well-maintained cars as shown in this thread. I always advise people to first sell off their existing cars and then start scouting for the replacement.

Direct exchange under one roof works when:
a) Your car has done lakhs of kms and the one you're purchasing is less driven
b) Your car is relatively harder to sell
c) Your car requires immediate and substantial investment (to keep it on the road)
d) Your car is 10 year old or so and the one you're purchasing is newer

Unless one wants to get rid of a car, exchange makes little sense. IMO sell your car to an individual, get a realistic value, approach a dealer with a clear mind and negotiate hard on the next one.

Asking price lower than market price funda is widespread in online portals. This is a way for dealers to get buyers to their showrooms. When you get in touch with them, they'll pretend as if the car is sold (or token amount paid) and push you for other available options.
self_driven is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 12:05   #462
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 756
Thanked: 790 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post

Direct exchange under one roof works when:
a) Your car has done lakhs of kms and the one you're purchasing is less driven
b) Your car is relatively harder to sell
c) Your car requires immediate and substantial investment (to keep it on the road)
d) Your car is 10 year old or so and the one you're purchasing is newer
+1. Rightly said. In most cases, it is a double whammy to us, when the dealer makes profit on the car that is bought from us, and then sells us a car that is priced higher than its worth. Worst case is when we sell a car that is trouble-free, sparingly used, well maintained and then buy a car that might turn out a lemon.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 12:18   #463
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,771
Thanked: 1,837 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)

My observations of course universally apply to used car dealers and I was shocked to get such a horrid quote from Infinity as well.

Interestingly as a contra point, when we went to flip our 9.5 years 108,000 kms (2nd owned) Honda City V/AT, the used car dealer stretched to a max of 2.25 lakh offer for the car (in a swap deal for a possible 2014/15 G-i10 A/T.

Hyundai dealer on the other hand, in his bid to close a new G-i10 deal with us gave us as much as 2.95 lakh for our car if I recollect correctly. Add to that his ability to offer exchange bonus (since he was buying our car) plus the default discount that was being give, it was a no brainer for us to purchase a brand new G-i10 instead of the new one.

Similarly, when I sold my 2009 1st owner 68k run Honda Civic V/At (standalone sale - no buy transaction) a year or more ago, Shreevas Motors at Marine Drive (hustler of the first order when it comes to buying prices) didn't budge over 2.25 lakh whereas another dealer ended up buying my car for Rs. 3 lakh. That's a pretty big delta at that specific price point. So all in all really does require a lot of navigation.

Last edited by Axe77 : 5th October 2018 at 12:19.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 14:59   #464
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 756
Thanked: 790 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Hyundai dealer on the other hand, in his bid to close a new G-i10 deal with us gave us as much as 2.95 lakh for our car if I recollect correctly. Add to that his ability to offer exchange bonus (since he was buying our car) plus the default discount that was being give, it was a no brainer for us to purchase a brand new G-i10 instead of the new one.
This is what happens at TrueValue. When we try to exchange a used car for another used car, in most cases the quotes are lame at best. But, the quotes are drastically different when a new car purchase comes in picture, and this quote is usually excluding the exchange bonus. It seems there are targets to convert used car buyers to potential new car buyers, and in some cases buying a new car in exchange makes sense.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2018, 19:43   #465
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dhanushs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bathery/BLR
Posts: 3,800
Thanked: 6,294 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
... For pre-worshipped fans like me, the more the organised outlets, the better ....
I'm a pre-worshipped fan myself! But with organised outlets, apart from the fact that you get your paperwork done smoothly, isn't the cost very much on the higher side. For a 10 lac rupee used car, the costs are costs are at least 10-15% higher?

The fact that they brush up to hush up the tiny details of wear and tear is a separate issue for novice car buyers.

I somehow prefer to buy from the owner directly, even if it means 10 times more hassle.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks