Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2010, 16:36   #121
gou
BHPian

Well I have done the same myself. Bought a 99 model Santro LE (without Power steering) in Sep 2006 for 1.75L. Sold it in Feb 2010 for 1 Lakh. And yes bought a 2002 model OHC AT in Dec 2009 3.3L which is in very good condition. It was owned by VP in my wife's office, maintained well and regularly serviced.

Well I was not looking to sell or change Santro, but incidentally came to know about this OHC, bought it and sold Santro.

In both cases, I had to change the tyres after buying.

As mentioned earlier, loan rates for used car is pretty high. Fortunately, my wife had done some savings and those got used to purchase the OHC.

Now, truly enjoying OHC acceleration.
Old 6th April 2010, 22:05   #122
naj
BHPian

Many thanks to you GTO for 2 superb threads.They make you to think.

After reading your thread regarding retention of ones car beyond 5 years ,I put off my plans to buy a new car some months back.
I have a Ford Ikon 1.6 and it just has 25k on the odo in 5 years.Since I am a seafarer the car remains unused for a greater part of time.

I am thinking for going for a lateral upgrade now after reading your meticulous thread.But have found that what I am getting for my immaculate Ikon is a meager sum.In such cases as mine what should be done?
Retain the old car without a trade in or otherwise?
Old 6th April 2010, 22:10   #123
BHPian

Adding to the discussion, another aspect that matters most is the difference between the price you pay for a vehicle (new/ used) vs the amount you recover when you sell it... How many of us here have made a profit when we do this? If not profitable, has the loss been the least? If so, for which vehicle and how much?
Old 7th April 2010, 12:07   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishF1 View Post
Adding to the discussion, another aspect that matters most is the difference between the price you pay for a vehicle (new/ used) vs the amount you recover when you sell it... How many of us here have made a profit when we do this? If not profitable, has the loss been the least? If so, for which vehicle and how much?
How can you expect a profit here?

In very rare cases only you can make a profit after using the car & selling it. Yes you can make the loss least. If you want least loss buy Maruti vehicles, it has best resale values. So you will have less loss. But anyways i wont call it as a loss as you are using the car

Last edited by aniketi : 7th April 2010 at 12:07. Reason: correction
Old 7th April 2010, 12:35   #125
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukeshs View Post
I like the way you think. Can I borrow your negotiation skills for a while
Of course yes! But if the wife throws brickbats, I'm not in the picture, ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwas View Post
Can team-BHP work on a historical list of used cars and their ratings and trouble spots.
Vishwas, that's an outstanding suggestion. I am sure, with time, Team-BHP will present data in a more organised (tabular?) format, in addition to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
Anyway, after a few days later, I thought of considering a pre-owned Montero as an option and started scouting for it in Delhi/NCR market. Have a couple of leads but the asking price in the vicinity of 25L for DI-D (post facelift, Sep 2007) is something which is a bit beyond my budget.
The Montero is an all-rounder of an SUV. Great choice, mouth-watering deals in the used market. Excellent ride, acceptable handling, well equipped, torquey diesel and stunning looks...the Mitsu has it all.

Keep looking. North India was amongst the biggest markets for the Montero. But even then, its a premium SUV that sold in single digits over most months. You will have to be patient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
So here's one point: Several companies provide cars to their senior employees, and these are normally upgraded every 3-4 years. At this point, the old cars are sold off at fairly low prices (often below the going market rate, as in my case). If you know folks who work in such companies, ask them to keep their ears open and inform you in case some cars are being sold. This obviously won't work if you're looking for a car urgently, but if you have time this is an option worth exploring.
Thanks for sharing this tip.

Quote:
I'm a big believer in lateral upgrading, as GTO puts it. But I also have a limit on the age of any used car I buy - which is a maximum of 2-3 years. In addition, I would prefer to go in for a brand that is known for its reliability. Japanese manufacturers like Honda, Toyota and Mitsubishi come to mind. I generally would avoid Indian, American or European used cars.
Agreed. I reiterate that Japs make for the best used buys, followed by Koreans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
how different is the drive in a SUV and a sedan (say ANHC/Civic)? i know the comfort factor is higher in sedans, but are SUV like Pajero/ Fortuner that uncomfortable, say for long drives?
The Pajero has good ride quality, Fortuner so so. Thing is, you'll enjoy driving a sedan a lot more. Sedans have a lower center of gravity, are lighter and generally have better grip levels, quicker steerings and better brakes. All things equal, they are also better performers (0 - 100 etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
I have a Ford Ikon 1.6 and it just has 25k on the odo in 5 years.Since I am a seafarer the car remains unused for a greater part of time.

I am thinking for going for a lateral upgrade now after reading your meticulous thread.But have found that what I am getting for my immaculate Ikon is a meager sum.In such cases as mine what should be done?
Oh well, you are forcing me to reveal my thoughts on the 3rd thread in this series : How your existing car can make you feel better! That is, enhancing the ownership experience from your existing set of wheels.

See, you'll get peanuts for your well-maintained Ikon. Plus, the 1.6 remains a fun car to drive. My suggestion : Spend 50 grand in sprucing her up (alloys, tyres, ICE, whatever makes you feel better). No sense selling her now.

Quote:
I doubt anyone profits, though everyone SAVES. See, a car depreciates quickest in its first 2 - 3 years of age. By buying used, say a 3 year old car, the original owner has already taken a massive depreciation hit. So:

a) You get a better car for less moolah

b) At the time of selling, you stand to lose a smaller amount in depreciation. Example of my Civic : The original owner lost 5 - 6 lakhs in 2.xx years alone. If I sell the Honda after two years, I should get atleast 5.5 - 6.0 lakhs. Or after 5 years, she'd procure 3.5 - 4.0 lakhs. Net net, the original owner lost 6 lakhs after 2.xx years of usage (2.4 lakhs per year). I lose only 4.5 after 5 years of usage (Rs. 0.9 lakhs per year). My rate of depreciation losses are only 37.5% that what the original owner suffered.
Old 7th April 2010, 12:43   #126
Senior - BHPian

Great thread GTO, i feel this thread is at the right time. Gone are the days when only some good cars used to sell. Now the market is floded with options, i dont see any particular car selling like the OHC (at a very low depreciation) 2-3 years from now.

There are good 2 year old fiiestas available for 3is range. The vernas are also going cheap. I would not be surprised if everyone today who drives a sedan in the less than 10 lac bracket upgrade into the 20 lac bracket without a big dent in the pocket.

One rule which applies well for me is somthing my ex boss told me. If your PA income is equal to the price of a brand new car of the same model then you can afford to maintain the same if its used, how true he was.

Pramod
Old 7th April 2010, 13:48   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I doubt anyone profits, though everyone SAVES. See, a car depreciates quickest in its first 2 - 3 years of age. By buying used, say a 3 year old car, the original owner has already taken a massive depreciation hit. So:
Agree with your comments. However, I did make a Rs.1000 profit on sale of my Maruti 800 after using it for a good 8 months in the year 2006. First point, such things can happen only at low end cars or cars with huge demand (eg: vintage/ vehicles like Gypsy). Secondly, it happens only with a used car and with the person with an amazing negotiation skill both while buying and selling the vehilce.

Last edited by GTO : 8th April 2010 at 18:26. Reason: Please don't quote the entire long post. Shortened the quote
Old 7th April 2010, 14:18   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ GTO ===>>>

In a rare case, my dad made a profit from Maruti 800. We purchased original M800 (jap one) in 86 as a second hand car for 65 K. After using for 5 years & some 30K odd kms, we sold it at 95 K We got that price because that time Maruti was like hot cake in market. No other options where there.
Old 7th April 2010, 14:20   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Many thanks to you GTO for 2 superb threads.They make you to think.

After reading your thread regarding retention of ones car beyond 5 years ,I put off my plans to buy a new car some months back.

Retain the old car without a trade in or otherwise?
Buddy, had you been in Delhi or NCR I would have immediately been interested in this deal of your. Reason we have a 8 year old 1.3 IKON which has done 1.4 lac kms. This car is primarily used in the office so we are not changing it and if we sell it we don't even get decent enough money to buy a new bike but atleast this is a car in which everything works, has decent music, aircon, comfy power windows, etc etc and when no other vehicle is standing we drive it to do our chores too

Anyways to cut the long story short my advise is to keep it as even if you get a decent enough vehicle ask yourself this, Will it be as well maintained as your 5year old 25k kms driven vehicle.
I think you'll get the answer.
Cheers
Old 7th April 2010, 14:21   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
@ GTO ===>>>

In a rare case, my dad made a profit from Maruti 800. We purchased original M800 (jap one) in 86 as a second hand car for 65 K. After using for 5 years & some 30K odd kms, we sold it at 95 K We got that price because that time Maruti was like hot cake in market. No other options where there.
Those days are gone with the wind, and will never come back! It was a case of demand far outstripping supply, unlike now.
Old 7th April 2010, 15:09   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Those days are gone with the wind, and will never come back! It was a case of demand far outstripping supply, unlike now.
Agree totally
Making a profit seems out of the question these days as both the buyers and seller are much more well informed and in with the times when compared to 5-10 years prior to today.

But as an exception the Toyota Fortuner (if someone has it today and if he might be wanting to part with it), won't that guy make a decent profit. Isn't this how the back market deals for the Fortuners going around???
But again I agree this is only there till the time the demand for new Fortuners is off the roof. as soon as it get stabilized the honeymoon period's over and better for deal spotters like us!

Sorry for OT

Last edited by harjeev : 7th April 2010 at 15:11.
Old 8th April 2010, 10:42   #132
BHPian

Quote:
I did. check out my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Not really.... good cars/bikes are always in demand, and only particular situations create such deals, such as someone going abroad, or in acute need of money. In fact, no company wants to outstrip demand in the market. So a car/bike with higher demand, will always have a constant demand-supply gap any time of the year.

Prajwal

Last edited by prajwalkashyap : 8th April 2010 at 10:46.
Old 8th April 2010, 11:03   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
I did. check out my post

Not really.... good cars/bikes are always in demand, and only particular situations create such deals, such as someone going abroad, or in acute need of money. In fact, no company wants to outstrip demand in the market. So a car/bike with higher demand, will always have a constant demand-supply gap any time of the year.

Prajwal
Agreed. But not enough to create a profit during resale, not any more!
Old 8th April 2010, 12:47   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Pajero has good ride quality, Fortuner so so. Thing is, you'll enjoy driving a sedan a lot more. Sedans have a lower center of gravity, are lighter and generally have better grip levels, quicker steerings and better brakes. All things equal, they are also better performers (0 - 100 etc.).
thanks for the advice GTO. appreciate it and will keep in mind on the next upgrade
Old 8th April 2010, 15:00   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

GTO ===>>>
Fortuner has so so ride quality ? I was thinking it will be really good. I was dreaming of buying one as used car down the line after 5-7 years

Most Viewed