Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2010, 01:29   #76
JLN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
How this deal?
An i20 Asta (Petrol), 2 months old, 3500 Km for 4L. Black colour. Owner going abroad.
that's an unbelievable deal for a i20 asta (with an onroad price of 6l+). just grab it.
Old 3rd April 2010, 05:01   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
How this deal?
An i20 Asta (Petrol), 2 months old, 3500 Km for 4L. Black colour. Owner going abroad.
quite a good offer. But it seems far too low priced. Try to fetch its service history, insurance claim details etc. Take a detailed test ride yourself - add to it any experienced driver's opinion. If everything goes fine then its a killer price tag.
Old 3rd April 2010, 09:10   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
diesel sedan for 4-4.5 lacs.
You could get a used dzire Ldi but i guess you would have to increase your budget by 30-40k atleast.
But my advice would be-DONT GO for a used diesel sedan.Most will be odo-tampered or having some mechanical problem.
Go for a used ppetrol sedan with lesser kms - You could get a decent NHC-2005/6 which is spacious,practical and fuel efficient as well.
You could also look out for dzire lxi/vxi
Thanks a lot, how does 2005 lancer rates in the relaibility, performance & A$$ front ?
Thanks once again.
Old 3rd April 2010, 13:58   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100BHP View Post
Thanks a lot, how does 2005 lancer rates in the relaibility, performance & A$$ front ?
Thanks once again.
Yeah..the lancer is surely a good looking car , spacious and driver oriented as well. Spares and service is not a problem as well.Even a road side mechanic can handle a lancer.Fuel economy will be lesser than what you will extract from NHC/dzire lxi.
You could even consider the accent.A new accent will cost around 5.3-5.5 on road.You could get a 2 year old accent for 3.75lac- 3.9lac.
Old 3rd April 2010, 15:13   #80
BHPian

Guys I am looking for a pretty decent condition hatchback or sedan in delhi and on my search I came across:
A ford ikon TDCI 2009 model around 12000 miles done and owner quoting 5.15 lack Delhi.

Is it good deal? Please suggest? I feel its on higher side as the new Figo itself has same diesel engine and would cost same. I quoted that owner around 4 lack but no luck.
Old 3rd April 2010, 16:33   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's my story.

Bought a eight months old Maruthi 800 for 1.6L (8000kms on the odo) and sold it after three years for 1.3L and then added 70k more to bring home a 24 months old Ford Ikon Flair(60k on the odo). Both vehicles were in great condition and I have done nothing except periodic service which I guess even new cars need.

I would never go for a new car as today we get very sweet deals on used cars, and yes, just as GTO mentioned, we need a little patience and research the market a bit.
Old 3rd April 2010, 16:39   #82
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
We intend to keep this one till 2012 and may be sell it for 2 lakhs something. Add around 4 lakhs and choose from the vehicles mentioned below, which I can buy used for between 6 lakhs to 7 lakhs in 2012.

My choice would be based on:

- more well built.
- Substantially more modern
- A later model year (accent '06)
- Run far less kms (mine would have done 120,000 kms. Avg. used 3 year old diesel car would be around 60,000 kms)
- A size bigger. With more comfortable interiors too.
- Has excellent stability at high speed.
- Has rear disc brakes, ABS and airbags.
- Well-kitted out (height adjust drivers seat, steering tilt, climate control, electric retractable mirrors etc.)
A Sonata Embera suits your needs to the very T. Plus, the recently facelifted Transform has way better interiors too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLN View Post
Another attestation to this thread: Look for almost new cars with very low milage. If the guy wants to sell, he can't get a premium at the used car dealerships. So they will be more open to selling to end users for just a slight premium.
Nice tip, thanks for sharing. I'd say it would work in some cases, but surely not all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
The trick is, quote a low price to entice buyers into coming to the table. Once they are at the table, quote a ridiculously high price so that they settle for something in between the previous agreed price and the ridiculous high price.

Moral of the Story:
Please speak to the seller and fix the price that he is quoting before touching the vehicle. Then follow the T-Bhp checklist and start knocking that price down.
A frequently used tactic by rogue dealers. If you read up on my Civic buying experiences, I mentioned another low mileage Civic. Over the course of our negotiations, the original asking price rose to an entirely different level! I walked away without a second thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
This is an excellent thread GTO. I was always apprehensive of buying a used vehicle for the obvious reasons (rogue dealers, being stuck with a lemon, etc etc) but since I restored 2 jeeps and bought a 4 year old gypsy, I started believing that if it has door, tyres and an engine, well then anything and everything that goes wrong can be set right.
Something I realised at the time of my Jeep restoration. As long as the car is fundamentally in line (no chassis damage, floods, inherently problematic car like the W220 S Class), anything can be fixed.

Quote:
I traded the MM550 (sold for 3.30 lacs) for a 2006 Gypsy King [i][b](bought for 3.25lacs).
A good deal considering that you owned the 550 for nearly a year!

Quote:
They sure will do. I am another buyer waiting in line for 2-3 years old used Fortuners.
Now a question comes to mind. With so much enthusiasm and waiting period for new Fortuners, do you think that 2-3 year old vehicles will be available in the sub 10 lac bracket???
Sure will. Chief reason = New Innova at 10 lakhs. The current Innova is more suited to carrying 6 - 8 passengers than the Fortuner. By 2012, the all-new generation Innova will have arrived in India....an MUV that will be even more comfortable than the Fortuner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygeetee View Post
The one question I always had was about insurance cost. How much of a difference does the yearly insurance cost come to? and shouldn't that be factored in when buying a bigger(better) new car?
Best part about Indian insurance companies is, they calculate premiums based on the book value. A thread had popped up on Team-BHP that spoke of insurance cos coming of age and that, premiums will be charged based on the spare parts pricing of that particular car. However, I think we have some way to go before such a policy comes into effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100BHP View Post
Thanks once again.
Why bother with the Lancer when you can buy Cedias for under 5 lakhs? The Cedia is a superior car in nearly each way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer551 View Post
A ford ikon TDCI 2009 model around 12000 miles done and owner quoting 5.15 lack Delhi.
The seller's gone nuts! The Figo - a decidedly better car - can be had for the same price. He's never going to get 5.15 lakhs for the Ikon...keep him hanging and he will surely revert back to you with a better price.
Old 3rd April 2010, 17:27   #83
BHPian

i just have one point to ponder.

though no matter how great the deal looks while buying a used car, there is a snag here. let's say i want to sell my OHC(which i have no intentions) and upgrade, the next alternatives are the new laura diesel (i have a run of about 100kms per day), or maybe the chevy cruze (though an awfully bad handler at slightly higher speeds).
if i want a lateral upgrade, then the laura is the only car in the market. and considering the new shape and the history of laura, does it really make sense going for the used one? you never know how badly abused the car is, but even if its not, you are buying a model which is already obsolete. even that is not the point of concern. while buying a car most of us think of all the possible finance options. when u bleed every month while paying your EMIs you don't feel it as much, but when buying a used car, you have to pay upfront the entire amount OR pay almost twice the interest rate only because the car is new.

the snag is, if you are spending let's say 13 lacs for a new car, you have to pay around 80% as down payment i.e. 2.6 lacs. as good as selling your old car, and making the down payment. but when you buy a used car which u liked for 8 lac, the dent is deeper in the pocket. and generally most of the people want to keep that extra cushioning in their pockets for emergencies, people who are in business or working for someone. the extra cash flow always comes handy. be it for buying a new machine/place OR renovating the house.

so doesn't going for lateral upgrade make sense for people who have that kind of disposable money lying around??
Old 3rd April 2010, 20:51   #84
BHPian

One very basic question,

So we buy a secondhand good car or very less price we n'joy.

But after 2 /3 years when we want to sell this car, we also will be selling it at very less price right?

So is this really beneficial?
Old 3rd April 2010, 21:37   #85
JLN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
One very basic question,

But after 2 /3 years when we want to sell this car, we also will be selling it at very less price right?

Any car whether used or new - you will lose money if you sell in 2/3 years. the loss will be higher if you buy a new car. The value of the car depreciates something like this - 20-40% in year 1, 10-25% (of the residual value) for the next 2-4 years, and then 5-15% (of the residual value) for the remaining years.

so if you want to sell in 2-3 years, you will be better off buying a great 4-5 year old car and then selling it. I would stick to the Jap and Korean cars - preferably a well maintained Maruti, if I am looking at 4-5 year old cars.
Old 3rd April 2010, 21:41   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
One very basic question,

What you need to keep in mind is the fact that the loss on account of depreciation is parabolic during the initial (2-3) years and after that it becomes linear with a very low gradient.

In simple words, you tend to lose proportionately more if you buy a new car as compared to a pre-owned one. In fact there are a lot of examples on this very thread where people have sold off their pre-owned cars at a pretty insignificant loss. In fact there's an example where a seller actually made profit
Old 3rd April 2010, 22:47   #87
BHPian

we currently have 3 cars. 2007 indica turbo, 2003 esteem and an 1986 omni. now if i want to lateral upgrade my esteem what options do i have? the vehicle has to be a diesel. the rates for 2nd hand innovas are just too high and we dont want to go in for tata or mahindra. diesel sedan will work for us but i dont think there are many options left. my cousin recent bought a 2007 optra magnum diesel (the one which was listed on tbhp classified) so dont want to go in for that.
Old 3rd April 2010, 22:52   #88
BHPian

^^^ well.. A logan diesel could be had really cheap and its a good car.
Old 3rd April 2010, 23:13   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawabnabeel View Post
we currently have 3 cars. 2007 indica turbo, 2003 esteem and an 1986 omni. now if i want to lateral upgrade my esteem what options do i have? the vehicle has to be a diesel. the rates for 2nd hand innovas are just too high and we dont want to go in for tata or mahindra. diesel sedan will work for us but i dont think there are many options left. my cousin recent bought a 2007 optra magnum diesel (the one which was listed on tbhp classified) so dont want to go in for that.
You have a good number of cars to choose from -

- If you don't want to go for the Optra diesel, you could go for its nearest competitors Octavia diesel or Elantra CRDi. On classifieds, a large number of Octavias are available for Rs. 5 to 6 Lacs. If you get something like Rs. 1.5 Lacs for your Esteem, your net outflow will be a max Rs. 4.5 Lacs.

- If you are worried about maintenance costs of an Octavia, you could go a segment lower, and check out Fiesta diesel, Maruti DZire diesel or Verna diesel.

- If you want the least cash outflow, look for Accent CRdi

Last edited by SmartCat : 3rd April 2010 at 23:17.
Old 4th April 2010, 00:13   #90
BHPian

A lateral upgrade will be sweeter if you are selling a car with high resale value and buying one with a relatively low resale value. That is why we find GTOs upgrade really sweet. Civic does not have a very good resale value compared to City. My lateral upgrade was not too sweet as I upgraded from an Optra to a Civic. Sold teh OPtra for 3.2L and bought the Civic for 7.6L.

Having said that it is a given that buying used makes a lot economic sense than buying new. The guy who takes the biggest hit on the pocket is the guy who sells first, ie the first owner. My first car was a new one, and after that I bought three used cars. Having tasted used car delas, I am sure, I am not going to buy anything new for a long time to come. Unless I become a multi-millionaire, perhaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
All you guys are talking about 3.5 lacs skoda, 10 lacs Pejero, 4 lacs lancer cedia, 12 lacs BMW...where are you finding them from?
First, you have to have patience. You have to be like a vulture, constantly searching for carcases. Wait for somebody who is desperate to sell, like moving abroad. Always have cash ready in your bank. Nothing works better than a cheque book, and a pen ready to write a cheque, when you are negotiating. I know, it does not sound easy. Who would have 5-10lacs ready in the bank? I have a tip for those who have a demat account. Convert it into an overdraft account. Interest rates are pretty low (10-12%), you can draw money in seconds, and pay back in full at any time you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by singh.amrit View Post
The only sore part about used cars, in my opinion is getting a sore deal, especially when dealing with car dealers, they ALWAYS.. absolutely always will cut corners. Any spares if needed would be cheap ones, the car detailing service would leave certain things not properly in place, locks placed incorrectly.. etc

My corolla began to rattle here and there after about 6 months of ownerships, found out that many locks were of improper size, some were not put in place properly.

In my opinion, it is best to deal with an individual as far as the car's "genuineness" goes, but usually individual sellers quote very high prices and are not ready to accept market rates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselroxx View Post
The best deals would be from a customer directly, Used Car Dealers charge a premium for their Value Addtion on the cars and Warrany/FS.
If you have got someone with good technical competence to evaluate the car for you I think you should be looking at individual sellers.
Keep your cash ready and start scanning classified ads!
Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
what you say works in theory but the ground realities are a bit different- used car market is one of the most notorious place for rip offs, and this includes the manufacturer backed used car busienss. so you have to either be really lucky, or get a car from a known source.
I stay away from dealers. Individual owners are the best bet. And I stay away from those cars that are wiped clean and polished.

Last edited by civic-sense : 4th April 2010 at 00:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks