Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2010, 15:52   #106
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
do you think it would be advisable to keep our Getz for another 5yrs and then go for an upgrade?
The Getz will be discontinued soon. So, it would make sense to consider upgrading.

Just my two cents.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 5th April 2010, 17:07   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
The Getz will be discontinued soon. So, it would make sense to consider upgrading.

gpa
I am hearing this for long time now ... I heard this from Hyundai dealer more than a year back also. I guess Getz is also a good family car at that price. Lots of space is available which is not in most of the other cars.
They should bring Getz with 1.2 L Kappa engine & some modifications to boost sales
Old 5th April 2010, 17:45   #108
BHPian

The calculation and benefits are very interesting. However the only frustrating challenge here is to sell your 2nd owner car, believe you me its not that easy.
Old 5th April 2010, 20:17   #109

Im sold to the idea of buying a used car in a good condition. I bought my first car Santro for 2.5L, it had done 14K and was just 30 months old. The owner was an acquaintance who sold it because he wasn't using it much. I save a couple of lakhs easily.

Now after 2 good years, Im married and looking for an upgrade. An used sedan fits my bill perfectly. Im getting 1.8L for my Santro and dont mind putting the required cash down for the upgrade. But my better half is dead against buying an used car and Im not winning the battle. With so many new cars coming in the market, the used car scene is so much better now. Every other day I see great deals and my heart cries out.
Old 5th April 2010, 23:28   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

@sukeshs: Why not get a premium hatch like an i20? I saw an almost brand new i20 Asta (or was it Magna) going for sale at around 5L.
Old 6th April 2010, 09:34   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukeshs View Post

But my better half is dead against buying an used car and Im not winning the battle.
Same happened with me So i decided to go with new entry level sedan and end up buying Swift Dzire Vxi. You can also look for Dzire, Manza, Accent or new Ikon. Best of luck
Old 6th April 2010, 10:04   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But my better half is dead against buying an used car and Im not winning the battle. With so many new cars coming in the market, the used car scene is so much better now. Every other day I see great deals and my heart cries out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Same happened with me So i decided to go with new entry level sedan and end up buying Swift Dzire Vxi. You can also look for Dzire, Manza, Accent or new Ikon. Best of luck

Don't I know that too well! A < 3 YO Santro XO, with only 3900 KM on the odo literally dropped on my lap! The owner as well as the car were well known to my sister in law, so the mileage was genuine. It really was in mint condition with barely a few scratches and the mutually agreed price was Rs 2.70 lakhs.

But my wife, son and mother wanted me to buy a new Alto as the prices were comparable. That it was a segment below did not matter to them. They wanted to experience the sensation of taking a new car home with balloons and ribbons from the show room, at least once in their lifetime. I did not have the heart to say no and gave in. But I made it clear to them that the next car will not be a new one!
Old 6th April 2010, 10:42   #113
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
In my opinion if you are getting a well maintained old car with good price then only you should go for it. good price is 40-70 % cheaper than the price of new car.
Absolutely! Buying a well-maintained used car is key to a satisfying ownership experience, and to make one a believer in used. A poorly maintained example can lead to a lot of headache.

Quote:
My bro recently got Petrol Indigo for 1.7 Lacs. Top end GLX model. Ran only 28k kms. It is in very good shape. No scratches, good tyres, Pioneer 12 cd changer available in car. Is it a good deal?
What year? If its not too old, and the kms seem to indicate that, its a great deal. The beauty with buying used petrol Tatas, Fiats & Skodas is that they depreciate like stink (thanks to their competent & FE diesel siblings). Personally I wouldn't buy a used Tata vehicle, but hey, an exceptionally kept car can get one tempted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
i was wondering if you could help us decide our next car/SUV. we've a December 2006 Getz GLS 1.3L pertrol. the car is in very good condition and maintained well, but maybe at the end of 5yrs, we might think of upgrading to a sedan or an SUV. i love SUVs and although i haven't driven one till now, i'm very much fond of the Mistubishi Pajero (was in love with it since i was a kid watching Jackie Chan movies)
So you are considering an upgrade next year? Sure, a used Pajero or (hopefully) a Fortuner will keep you happy. That said, you need to analyse whether your driving style requires an SUV. A sedan will give you a much wider choice, and will have superior dynamics / handling / driving pleasure as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
The calculation and benefits are very interesting. However the only frustrating challenge here is to sell your 2nd owner car, believe you me its not that easy.
I reiterate that, for a 6 - 7 year old car, its condition is way more important than how many owners she has had. Considering that the Indian ownership average is 5 years, most cars over that age will have a 2nd owner on the book.

Quote:
But my better half is dead against buying an used car and Im not winning the battle. With so many new cars coming in the market, the used car scene is so much better now. Every other day I see great deals and my heart cries out.
How about buying her a ring or something with part of the money saved . Will keep the missus happy, and gold makes for a solid investment too! That's what I call killing 3 birds with one stone (used car + happy wife + gold investment).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
@sukeshs: Why not get a premium hatch like an i20? I saw an almost brand new i20 Asta (or was it Magna) going for sale at around 5L.
Good one. The i20 is now selling anywhere between 40,000 - 50,000 cars a year. 2 - 3 years from now, they are going to flood the used car market. And with the sheer quality that this hatchback offers, it will make for a compelling buy.
Old 6th April 2010, 11:15   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
How about buying her a ring or something with part of the money saved . Will keep the missus happy, and gold makes for a solid investment too! That's what I call killing 3 birds with one stone (used car + happy wife + gold investment).
I like the way you think. Can I borrow your negotiation skills for a while

Right now we have decided for a Ford Figo TDCi. Unable to decide the colour though. I have made myself a promise, my second car is going to be a used car, preferably a petrol from a higher segment.
Old 6th April 2010, 11:57   #115
BHPian

Fantastic thread. Great concept and research by GTO. I have a long-term suggestion/request: Can team-BHP work on a historical list of used cars and their ratings and trouble spots.

Consumer Reports in the US (Car reviews and ratings from Consumer Reports) funded entirely by magazine sales and not by ad-revenue, researches and reports ratings for a variety of consumer items. They review cars as well - and provide ratings for current new car models, expected long term reliability etc. They also have a list of good used cars to buy and used cars to avoid; For each historical model (last 10 years or so), they have a rating for various systems in the car. For example 2000 Ford Focus - good engine (4 stars), potential problems in electricals (2 stars), etc. 2007-2009 Toyota Camry - trouble with acceleration etc.

Like this for Indian cars Team-BHP should have a list of good used cars : eg. 2000-2004 OHC, 2004-2007 NHC, 2008-2010 ANHC, 2000-2004 Zen, 2004-2009 Honda Civic and so on. Similarly a list of used cars to avoid: 2001-2003 Indica, 2009 Nano ;-), etc.
And preferably an exhaustive list of cars with positive aspects and trouble spots in them.
vishwas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2010, 13:34   #116
BHPian

Context - Had been in the market for an SUV and zeroed in on Endy and Captiva (both AT).

Analysis - However, after a long test drive of both vehicles, realized that neither matched my requirements -
Endy had a spirited drive, creature comforts, 4 airbags, etc. what went against it were lack of all-4 discs and ride quality in the middle row (to be used mostly by my parents).
Captiva was lethargic when compared to Endy and lacked the bells and whistles which Endy had to offer..

Fallout - Anyway, after a few days later, I thought of considering a pre-owned Montero as an option and started scouting for it in Delhi/NCR market. Have a couple of leads but the asking price in the vicinity of 25L for DI-D (post facelift, Sep 2007) is something which is a bit beyond my budget.

Assistance required - Wanted to check with experts here what should be a reasonable valuation of both pre- and post facelift 2007 models done in the vicinity of 30-40k kms?

And if someone is aware of a used Montero available for sale, please do let me know. Any help/pointer would be highly appreciated.

PS - the only ball park number I have is 20L for which Joy purchased GLS model, done 40k kms, last Nov in Madurai.
Old 6th April 2010, 14:44   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely! Buying a well-maintained used car is key to a satisfying ownership experience, and to make one a believer in used. A poorly maintained example can lead to a lot of headache.

What year? If its not too old, and the kms seem to indicate that, its a great deal. The beauty with buying used petrol Tatas, Fiats & Skodas is that they depreciate like stink (thanks to their competent & FE diesel siblings). Personally I wouldn't buy a used Tata vehicle, but hey, an exceptionally kept car can get one tempted.
We have a bad experience with one second hand car. It was M800 & it was giving us problems from day 1. We spend almost 20K on its repairs. Still it was not that good & had few problems remaining. Also it was not stable. so we done the wheel balancing. That time we get to know that it has one Omni tire. Due to that it was unstable

@ GTO ===>>>

It is Jan 2004 car. It is really well maintained by Parsi owner. Everything is in good shape. So my Bro is happy with that purchase. He is a family person & drove car very little over WE only. He mainly bought it for the space, comfort & low cost
Old 6th April 2010, 14:52   #118
Senior - BHPian

I ahd recently been to a Honda showroom along with a friend of mine to take delivery of a Honda Accord. While I was there and since my wife also wants a new car, we were looking at the City V AT and the Civic. But being from Haryana, where we pay very low road tax, i was taken aback by the amount of road tax on the civic.

So in this case, it would be a wise decision for me to go in for a used Civic. Considering that I would go back to Gurgaon after some time.
Old 6th April 2010, 14:58   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
hehe! Images in the first post look brilliant.
I see my Lancer made it there. So, thanks
The Lancer was a pre-owned car too. Belonged to my father's company fleet and was used exclusively by my father and my family. So, I knew the car was in good condition and picked it up at a very low price. I did spend a bomb on overhauling it though, but that's another story.

So here's one point: Several companies provide cars to their senior employees, and these are normally upgraded every 3-4 years. At this point, the old cars are sold off at fairly low prices (often below the going market rate, as in my case). If you know folks who work in such companies, ask them to keep their ears open and inform you in case some cars are being sold. This obviously won't work if you're looking for a car urgently, but if you have time this is an option worth exploring.

I'm a big believer in lateral upgrading, as GTO puts it. But I also have a limit on the age of any used car I buy - which is a maximum of 2-3 years. In addition, I would prefer to go in for a brand that is known for its reliability. Japanese manufacturers like Honda, Toyota and Mitsubishi come to mind. I generally would avoid Indian, American or European used cars.

Last edited by razor4077 : 6th April 2010 at 14:59.
Old 6th April 2010, 15:18   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So you are considering an upgrade next year? Sure, a used Pajero or (hopefully) a Fortuner will keep you happy. That said, you need to analyse whether your driving style requires an SUV. A sedan will give you a much wider choice, and will have superior dynamics / handling / driving pleasure as well.
yeah, next year or the year later.

we travel every 6months (or before) and i love to drive instead of taking the bus or the train (or the plane for that matter). how different is the drive in a SUV and a sedan (say ANHC/Civic)? i know the comfort factor is higher in sedans, but are SUV like Pajero/ Fortuner that uncomfortable, say for long drives?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks