Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2011, 20:58   #226
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)

bought a 2006 indica turbo dlg 57000km, 2 new tyres for 190k. owned by a doctor and self driven, although i paid more price but car looks like 2 yrs old. very well maintained, got all oils, bushes, brake pads changed. mechanic said car is as good as new. not exactly a upgrade but need based buy as my next vehicle will be Xuv next yr. this indica will mostly be driven by driver and ferry mem shahab for yr or two. forgot to mention AC is chiller and while changing oils and bushes mechanic said that all components are of indigo even the suspension setup, wheels are 14"
Old 15th March 2012, 09:36   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay_ss View Post
Can't agree more on this GTO !

I sold my wife's 1 year Alto which we had picked up for INR 3.5 lacs (with some extra fittings etc) for INR 2.9 lacs. In return we picked up a sparingly used (10k run) Adventure 1.6 for INR 3.5 lacs.

Cheers
Vinay Sambaragimath
The Adventure served us phenomenally well. We did 55kms in 3 years that it was with us including a lot of highway runs, city drives and the Bangalore - Ladakh drive. I feel that one trip alone was worth every penny i paid for the car. About 3 weeks ago, the Adventure met with an accident (head on collision with a truck) and is totalled. Now, after 3 years, i am finalising another Adventure. This time, its a KA registered car (I had enough of tension with the earlier MH registered Advy in Bangalore) and has done 25k lower than my current car. I am getting it for a lot lesser cost as well.

Once more, my belief in a preworshipped car has only increased. I did evaluate (in fact booked) a Punto 1.4 which itself was came at a hefty 1L discount, considering it was a 2011 model. But at the end of the day, the heart was stuck to picking up a pre-worshipped Adventure.
Old 15th March 2012, 11:46   #228
BHPian

Folks, Is there a way to pull out the complete service record for any car for all work done at manufactures's authorized centres? I understand that if somebody got work done outside an authorized service station it would be diffcult to track it down and it comes to how honest the seller is but for work carried out at authorized places, how easy is it to procure an accurate record?
Old 15th March 2012, 11:52   #229
Senior - BHPian

Go to any authorized service centre, pay a fee and you can have it. MASS charge Rs 500.00 for it. Car can be from any state in India, it does not matter.
Old 15th March 2012, 11:54   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni_s View Post
Folks, Is there a way to pull out the complete service record for any car for all work done at manufactures's authorized centres? I understand that if somebody got work done outside an authorized service station it would be diffcult to track it down and it comes to how honest the seller is but for work carried out at authorized places, how easy is it to procure an accurate record?
Most manufacturers have a centralized database and shouldn't be difficult for you to get that data. Authorized service centers are also linked IIRC. So any work outside of authorized service centers wouldn't be available.
Old 31st August 2012, 00:41   #231

Hi GTO and others,

I own a 2008 Swift ZXi which has done 63K KMs. My pre-worshipped car is the Chevy Cruze. Lateral upgrade possible? Good idea? What price? I am in Bangalore. Please help
Old 14th September 2012, 15:05   #232
BHPian

GTO,
Had to share this with you.
In 2010, I bought a 2006 Indica DLS with 47000 kms on the odo for 170000. Apart from regular maintenance, spent 18000 on accessories and fittings. I sold the car off last month for 172000 with 98000 kms on the odo.
Picked up a 2007 Fiesta 1.4 TDCi ZXI with factory alloys and leather interiors with 22000 kms on the odo for 4.5 lacs. This time I know I paid a premium but just look at the total mileage actually covered till date. Hope to run it to 1 lakh kms without much trouble and then think of upgrading to something higher along the same lines that you have mentioned in post #1.
speedmunster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 18:59   #233
Senior - BHPian

2010 GV 2.4 AT with 30k on Odo for 8.5l. Is it worth it. I am not sure on the maintainence of the AT tranny or anything related to it. Suggestion !!
Old 18th December 2012, 20:01   #234
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
2010 GV 2.4 AT with 30k on Odo for 8.5l. Is it worth it. I am not sure on the maintainence of the AT tranny or anything related to it. Suggestion !!
Grand Vitara 2010 for 8.5 lacs and 30K Kms is a steal. Go for it.
Just get it checked out at the best local Maruti Service centre in your town.
I dont understand where you are located but regardless of that, it is a very good deal in my opinion.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 20:08   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Grand Vitara 2010 for 8.5 lacs and 30K Kms is a steal. Go for it.
Just get it checked out at the best local Maruti Service centre in your town.
I dont understand where you are located but regardless of that, it is a very good deal in my opinion.
I am located in Pune Shankar. The car in question is belonging to a MD of Maruti Showroom Dealer here with a VIP# now with its own true value. Having said that i am going to check out the car soon, the only thing i am not sure is how to check the autotranny. A little skeptical though but then that why i posted
Rahulk76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 20:15   #236
BANNED

Quote:
I am located in Pune Shankar. The car in question is belonging to a MD of Maruti Showroom Dealer here with a VIP# now with its own true value. Having said that i am going to check out the car soon, the only thing i am not sure is how to check the autotranny. A little skeptical though but then that why i posted
Definitely do check it out. Preferably at a rival Maruti Dealer Workshop or an Independent workshop who is also well recommended in Pune!
The only catch in this may be that this GV might have been used now and then as a Test Drive vehicle by all sorts of creatures, not to mention the showroom people themselves.
Whatever it is, if the vehicle is nicely maintained and you can get a complete service history of it, then it is a perfect buy at 8.5 lacs. Provided of course you dont mind the petrol consumption of the GV, which is rather excessive overall at 6.5 kmpl!
But then hey, paying 8.5, you can keep aside 2.5L just for petrol at the rate of about 10K per month and you will get at least 2 years of running and enjoyment.
You might also want to check this GV out on car wale unless you are particular about an AT. https://www.carwale.com/used/search....=10.38&city=12
All the best!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 18th December 2012 at 20:19.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 20:20   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Definitely do check it out. Preferably at a rival Maruti Dealer Workshop or an Independent workshop who is also well recommended in Pune!
The only catch in this may be that this GV might have been used now and then as a Test Drive vehicle by all sorts of creatures, not to mention the showroom people themselves.
Whatever it is, if the vehicle is nicely maintained and you can get a complete service history of it, then it is a perfect buy at 8.5 lacs. Provided of course you dont mind the petrol consumption of the GV, which is rather excessive overall at 6.5 kmpl!
But then hey, paying 8.5, you can keep aside 2.5L just for petrol at the rate of about 10K per month and you will get at least 2 years of running and enjoyment.
All the best!
Yes all said and done ofcourse the Petrol is expensive. I will check out the link on carwale. (EDIT: Its a 2.0 ltr GV)

But, the major point in consideration is that my running is 700km a month now . Heck my scooter ran only 1700km in a year so from maintainence point of view etc viz a viz safari's maintenance the debate is on. What makes sense in a overall long run of 3 years. I cannot fathom the maintainance cost of safari after ext warranty runs out in a few months given the gremlins of the famous Timing Belt. If it goes for a toss (1 in 10 chances) i am looking at 2 lac bill to repair the damn thing.

Also i am not particular about AT, i was on a lookout for a MT but none seems to come my way.

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 18th December 2012 at 20:27. Reason: Correction to the post
Rahulk76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 23:23   #238
BHPian

One needs to take into account the downtime for spares as the spare parts are SGP and are a little difficult to procure. It takes time and reminders. Moreover you might need to run it more than the current usage you have mentioned, to make the most out of it, unless you are buying it because you have a thing for it. In European markets it is considered bullet proof and rates well, at least interms of reliability. However, using it more will max your returns, if you are purely looking at it from an investment-return angle. I stress this because in three years time you might not find many buyers for it. At least your ride will be an exclusive one! . May be even a modern day Indian Classic!
Old 19th December 2012, 04:19   #239
BANNED

Quote:

Yes all said and done ofcourse the Petrol is expensive. I will check out the link on carwale. (EDIT: Its a 2.0 ltr GV)

But, the major point in consideration is that my running is 700km a month now . Heck my scooter ran only 1700km in a year so from maintainence point of view etc viz a viz safari's maintenance the debate is on. What makes sense in a overall long run of 3 years. I cannot fathom the maintainance cost of safari after ext warranty runs out in a few months given the gremlins of the famous Timing Belt. If it goes for a toss (1 in 10 chances) i am looking at 2 lac bill to repair the damn thing.

Also i am not particular about AT, i was on a lookout for a MT but none seems to come my way.
Hi.
I imagine that the2 litre engined GV will do you just as well really.
Definitely three ears of good use in it and a nice price as well!
Good tough vehicles those and ideal for our roads if you can afford the petrol to run them...
Of course, if the running average stops at about 1000 kms per month or so, I would say eyes closed go for it.
The pleasure and lightness of a refined petrol engine is a big point in favour!
Old 9th June 2013, 18:15   #240
BANNED

There is a nice looking Golden Elantra 2006 model GT Petrol available for Rs 3 Lacs. Negotiable. Done 43000 kms. Decent condition. Single owner car. Located in Madras.
This seems to be the fully loaded version. Considering this as an upgrade for my Parents. Ideally this should last them another 5-6 years or so.
It has all the safety kit, ABS, traction control etc.
What do you guys think? How much should we offer?

There is also a nice looking Gold Skoda Octy 2006 model 1.8 Turbo petrol available in Bangalore for 3.6 lacs. Done around 63k kms.
Again single owner. This is on TBHP classifieds.
Any ideas or inputs would be welcome.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks