Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2015, 14:43   #331
Distinguished - BHPian

"Steering feel" wasn't listed as one of your must-have requirements. For a car that's pretty decent in the handling department, the GT TSI does have an underweighted steering but you get used to it pretty quickly.
Ideally you'd want a Punto Evo TJet but that's not available in AT!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 15:10   #332
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Thank you Ishaanlan, Noopster and Rajeevraj.
I have driven my friends Polo GT tdi, I didn't like the steering feedback. Do the Polo and Vento TSI have different steering feel? I have test driven the Vento TSI which had a very light steering and it was when I asked the sales rep told it was a customers car which was given, so there was no PDI done or so. I stopped the test drive then, as I felt very bad about the whole thing. So I really don't remember how the whole thing was.
I made a booking thinking that our review would be out by 12th evening. I had booked Ford Figo like this for dad, but that time Team-bhp review was out early!
I too feel the same way about Polo, Vento, Laura and Jetta steering. They are simply too light and have a certain loose-ness to the way they feel, BUT like Noopster has pointed out, it is very easy to get used to. Not once have I felt that the loose steering feel has hampered my ability to hoon around in one of these cars. That said, I am glad I don't own any of them simply due to the feel of the steering.

Having read everything you posted, I still stick to my recommendations to you:

Civic AT which I had mentioned earlier, is a perfect fit for you. Steering feel is very rewarding however in stock form it is a little lacking in high-speed confidence and those soft rear dampers get really annoying. However the beauty is that you can buy the car for dirt cheap today and have more than enough cash to have it detailed to look fresh, get a serious suspension upgrade, wheel upgrade, few fixes for low-end torque and an ICE upgrade. I believe this is the perfect route for you.

If you don't want to be meddling with the car at all, then do go ahead and look out for a good petrol Fluence will tick all your boxes and add some beautiful french flair which you can sink into while driving the car, and admire after it has been parked.

PS: I don't often recommend the car to many given the general view about it, but if you get the time, do check out a used Kizashi I have infinite good things to say about it not just because I own one but because I considered Laura, C-Class and the Volvo S60 before buying it. PM me if you want to discuss in detail, the good and the bad.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 16th August 2015 at 15:14.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 08:11   #333
BHPian

@ IshaanIan, Aaron, and varunanb: Thanks for the insightful replies. I'm looking out for a Corolla Altis petrol.
vivekgk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 13:19   #334
BHPian

Hello

I seek advice on resolving a serious internal conflict; to buy or not to buy! Let it flow..

I own a Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI Elegance(2005) since 2013 and it has been a totally delightful and trouble free experience. I have taken it on really long drives, like 900 Kms in a day on highways and also on country roads and ghat sections etc. Till date, it has not let me down ever. Garage visits were only for regular service and preventive maintenance. The interiors of the car are also in mint condition. exteriors have suffered at the hands of little "Micahel Angelos" and "Picassos" of my community. Obviously, I love my car and was even planning to get an overcoat of paint to restore its looks, even bought a new 2 din player with hands-free Bluetooth kit a week back!

My romantic and peaceful affair with my car is disturbed the day I saw a used Skoda Superb for sale at the garage I frequent. I sat in the car and instantly developed a liking and want to buy it. Its a White, 2007, 2.6Tdi, V6 with DSG( 6 speed) with 75K on the odo. It was lying idle for a year and the garage has fixed the associated niggles; replaced a leaking radiator, change the ATF(no gum or residue found), new timing belt, painted the alloys black. It has a sunroof and faux wood interior too. Black leather interiors. I trust the garage owner as my Car is serviced by him and a lot of high-end cars frequent the place. He also conducts complex repairs of auto gearboxes including DSG's. He assures me that he has taken care of all issues(save a problem of the driver side OVRM(automatic) which is a bit temperamental(refuses to operate at times) and assures me of trouble free operation.

Now, my current car is reliable workhorse and I totally trust it. However, I also wish to experience the pleasure(will it be???) of owning a higher segment car like the Superb especially when it is available for a reasonable(??) price(5.3lacs)

Friends, shall I take the plunge and buy it? What are the pros and cons? Your advice is very important as my decision to buy my current car(Octavia) was heavily influenced by weighing and balancing the various reviews and experiences of TBHP members, and the experience has been pleasant.

If I get a "buy" vote, the Octavia will be on the blocks. It is a totally trouble free and reliable vehicle. Specs will be shared to prospects at that stage.

I have attached some pics of the Superb.
ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)-img20151005wa003.jpg

ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)-img20151005wa010.jpg

ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)-img20151005wa011.jpg

ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)-img20151005wa014.jpg

ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)-img20151005wa015.jpg

ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)-img20151005wa018.jpg

Regards
Ashokkp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 14:58   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashokkp View Post
I seek advice on resolving a serious internal conflict; to buy or not to buy! Let it flow..
The only thing I would add to caution any prospective buyer would be that while a car like this can be bought for as low as you are quoting, parts will still remain as expensive as a D2 segment sedan. Keeping that in mind, if you trust the garage owner and the car is truly in perfect shape, it seems like a good buy
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 17:53   #336
BHPian

Friends,
I am in the process of buying a pre-owned SUV. Budget is 30-35lakhs. My runs are mostly city - around 1200 to 1500kms monthly. I need an AT for sure, tall driving position, comfortable ride and hassle free maintenance. I am looking at the X3 or Land Rover Freelander. Is this a wise choice? Will i get any in this price range? I do not like the toyota fortuner nor the Pajero Sport. I need lots of snob value for my ride. Please help.
Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 22:05   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
The only thing I would add to caution any prospective buyer would be that while a car like this can be bought for as low as you are quoting, parts will still remain as expensive as a D2 segment sedan. Keeping that in mind, if you trust the garage owner and the car is truly in perfect shape, it seems like a good buy
Hello

I wonder whether there are any known issues with this variant I should be vary of?

Regards
Old 5th October 2015, 22:59   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashokkp View Post
Hello

I wonder whether there are any known issues with this variant I should be vary of?

Regards
It is a pretty solid car, as VAG cars go Would definitely be a worthy upgrade from your pumpe duse 1.9 Octavia IMO

You will be happy with the power and quality upgrade and your friends will be pleased with the acres of space. The rear bench has so much leg room quite unlike the Octavia which was extremely cramped at the back. The car is a happy cruiser and while it grips well, it isn't the most eager car to chuck around corners given the size and prominent weight over the front axle. Take a nice long drive to see if it is your kind of car.
Old 6th October 2015, 01:29   #339
BHPian

Hello

I am yet to drive it and will do so this week. I am a weekend driver with mostly long trips with family. So, a cruiser fits the bill. Will keep you posted.

Thank you
Regards
Old 22nd January 2016, 19:27   #340

A Tempting Dilemma

I own a BMW 320d 2013 with around 28000km on the clock.
My friend is shifting to another country and wants to sell his 2013 A6 premium+ with 2500km on the clock for 40L.
Very Confused.
If assume if i sell my Beemer i should get a good rate (22L-24L) right?
Any suggestions?
Old 22nd January 2016, 21:58   #341
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Tempting Dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish View Post
I own a BMW 320d 2013 with around 28000km on the clock.
My friend is shifting to another country and wants to sell his 2013 A6 premium+ with 2500km on the clock for 40L.
Very Confused.
If assume if i sell my Beemer i should get a good rate (22L-24L) right?
Any suggestions?
I am guessing you will lose a lot on depreciation as its only a 2+ year old car. Mileage is pretty low as well. Wont it be too much money loss on a couple of depreciating assets? And Only 2500kms? This is not his regular use car is it?
Old 7th June 2016, 14:10   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Some Lateral Upgrade options I've seen, liked & recommend:

If you are a D segment sedan owner, you might consider a BMW 3 / 5 series or a Merc C / E Class. Within SUVs, there's the super reliable 3 year old Mitsubishi Montero for Rs. 20 lakh, or a 4 year old Toyota Landcruiser for 25 - 28 lakhs. If your budget permits, a Merc S Class’ for 35 lakh or a 1 year old (new shape) 7 series for 50 – 60 lakh. Be advised that all the Europeans in this list will break the bank in maintenance.

NOTE: Of course, and budget permitting, you can jump two segments above (example in the post below : From a Maruti 800 to a Mitsubishi Cedia).
Although a bit late in posting this, but better late than never.

My pop in law was in the market for a new car in December 2015. Budget was 30L, stretchable to 35. The usual suspects were being considered, i.e. Passat, Camry, Superb and Santa Fe.

Then, inspired by @GTO i suggested him to look at pre owned options. Initially he was reluctant but i presisted and spoke with the authorised dealers of all three germans and scoured the used car listings in NCR.

Finally we struct a very sweet deal from Audi pre owned showroom- an immaculate A6 3.0 T quattro. 3 years old, run under 30,000 kms for under 24L, full service history at Audi, with one year dealer warranty thrown in. Luckily we got this car at a time when petrol luxo barges were not the flavour of the town so used petrols were going cheap.

So for the price of a new octavia, he now drives a gleaming black A6. hes driven about 6K since he got it and thanks me profusely for suggesting this option.

Thanks @GTO!

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 7th June 2016 at 14:14.
himanshugoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 00:14   #343
BHPian

Buying a used Honda City

Hi Guys!

As stated in the header, I'm planning to buy a used Honda City ivtec here in Delhi. Currently driving a Tata Zest XT diesel and planning to sell it for no particular reason other than a huge EMI to be paid every month

Looking at a budget of under 5 lacs and would be going in for a finance option. Have seen some of the cars with around 50k+ on the odo, nice and clean.

Just wanted your advice on the below:

1. Does an odo reading of 50-60k selling for around <5 lacs qualify the "worth buying" tag for a Honda?

2.What all points need a consideration while checking upon them? Any suggestions?

3. Is it worth the "upgrade" (or is it?), be it lateral, against my present drive?

4. How much for a periodic service from the Honda ASS?

5. Parts availability?

6. The economy? Anything above 12kmpl for me is a blessing!

Looking forward to your comments and suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by bullet_chacha : 14th June 2016 at 00:16.
Old 14th June 2016, 00:44   #344
BHPian

Re: Buying a used Honda City

Hey,

I am assuming a couple of things here:

1. You bought the Zest brand new
2. You have a high running

What you essentially want to do is minimize your EMI but you are also planning to finance this 2nd purchase. That leaves you in a precarious situation. You will end up losing a lot of money in the first sale due to the high depreciation hit and will gain minimally by reducing your emi (if any).

What you achieve in the process is a slightly longer, but 5/7 years older car that will be high on maintenance (1. Honda, 2. 50k driven); high on fuel costs (petrol) and less reliability than your existing ride.

In my opinion it is not a financially sound transaction.

Also, off topic: most used cars in Delhi will always have run between 50-60 k. This seems to be the sweet spot for all odo tampering.

Tapish
Tapish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 01:04   #345
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying a used Honda City

If you are really keen on minimizing your expenses, look into an SX4 with a M16a motor preferable pre-facelift versions without VVT as they came with the best handling IMO. If mileage is a huge concern you can go in for the more recent versions with VVT. The SX4 will be cheaper to buy and cheaper to maintain.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks