Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2016, 20:25   #361
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
One more suggestion - why don't you look at an Innova V of 2009 vintage ?You will end up spending 3L more but it will be a lateral upgrade combo with safety features,comfort and strong resale.
Thanks a ton.

I am not inclined towards Innova. I know its good for all those things that you mentioned. But would still prefer the Altis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Third is Renault Fluence. I know, the vehicle is not manufactured anymore but the engine is very good and have heard very good reviews of the car. It has acres of space compared to other two and you can get a diesel vehicle at 6 lakhs. Even now, sometimes I keep checking on the resale prices and wish to buy one, if my finances permit.
Now thats interesting. Let me check out the pros / cons of Fluence.

Thanks for providing a new perspective.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 28th April 2017 at 09:43. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Old 21st June 2016, 21:03   #362
BHPian

I have a Punto 1.3 Active 2011 model ran 62000kms. Bought it used in July 2013 and has been good so far. Enjoying more of remapped version since last 12 months.

However, now I would like to move for CUV/SUV category. Looking for options in BLR in used car market. Which would be a better buy? Sedan/SUV?

Budget would be around 6L.

Want to go for Skoda Rapid/Vento or Fiat Linea or Duster/Ecosport
Old 22nd June 2016, 00:20   #363
BHPian

It's been over a month and I have been itching to mention a big thanks for this thread as I went ahead and bought a well maintained Honda City V 2011 model with just 36k on the ODO.

The deal:
Showroom: Eeswari Cars (Mahindra First Choice Franchise), Chennai
Bought: 2011 Honda City V (Company registered); 36k on ODO; Beige colour; Fully showroom serviced vehicle
Price: 5.15 lakhs including 2% commission and name transfer charges
Sold: Ritz Silver LXI; 2011 model 2012 registered with 42k on ODO for 2.5 lakhs
Difference: 2.75 lakhs

For 2.75 lakhs I got a sedan which has run lesser than my Ritz, more power, more space and much safer (dual airbags & abs).
Kratos453 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2016, 07:34   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Hi,

I have a 2009 Mahindra Scorpio SLE. The car has done 99000 kms and is in a great condition. I originally planned to keep the vehicle with me for 12-15 years and have maintained the car accordingly. The car has no issues whatsoever.

However, the car does not have airbags. Most of my driving is on highways. With a 3 year old son, wife and parents in tow most of the time, I have been thinking of selling it off only from the safety point of view. A few ads that I have put up are soliciting offers of close to 5 lakhs.

I intend buying a spacious used sedan with air bags. Have narrowed down my choices to used corolla altis. Have to test drive a few cars before i decide on diesel v/s petrol.

2009-2010 altis variants with 50-70 kms on the odo are available in the range of 5-6 lakh rupees. Haven't checked prices in Toyota U trust dealerships.

So effectively, with a lakh or so Rs shelled, I should have an Altis with airbags, 60000 kms run, with me instead of the 99000 km run scorpio with no airbags.

Does it sound like a good deal?

Advice and suggestions please.

Regards.
Finally i took the decision of letting the Scorpio go.

Sold it off for 4.5 L. Not too bad for a 7 year old 1 lakh km run vehicle.

What did i buy? Well like I have mentioned initially i was looking for an Altis. However, during the course of going through reviews, the idea of having a look at renault scala / Nissan sunny crossed my mind. Took a few test drives and was really impressed with the super space on offer. Space really was an important factor for me as I have 5 people in my family who often travel together.

Found very few Scalas on offer. And then I chanced upon a Nov 12 Nissan Sunny, beautifully maintained by a senior guy from my service only. The car was in almost showroom condition even after more than 3 years. Complete service history was available from ASS, including scheduled recalls for Airbags and brake cylinders. Reading on ODO was 48 k. Struck the deal for 4.5 Lakhs.

So would this qualify as a lateral upgrade??

Well I am not sure but here's my take on it.

Gains For zero rupess spent, I got my self:-

(a) A much less run newer car (7 years/1Lakh v/s 4 years/48k).

(b) A much safer car (No oairbags v/s 2 airbags. Also crash test results - 0 stars v/s 4 stars).

(c) A much more comfortable car (Bouncy ride on the scorpio v/s the very comfortable ride quality of Sunny).

(d) A much more fuel efficient car (10-11 Kmpl in city vs 17-18 kmpl in city).

Losses

(a) More space available overall in the scorpio. can move house if you want to.

(b) Nothing else that I can think of really.

I am curious to know what others on the forum have to say.

Regards
nvldvr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2016, 08:15   #365
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post

I am curious to know what others on the forum have to say.

If the Nissan Sunny Diesel has ticked all the boxes for you then you have made the perfect choice. Infact you got a decent deal on both the Scorpio and Sunny. The 1.5dci in the sunny is a tried and tested engine so long term reliability isn't going to be a major issue.

It is diesel's like the Nissan Sunny/ Renault Scala which are best bought used as they don't have a strong resale value. Congratulations on the Sunny.

Asit
Old 12th September 2016, 19:35   #366
BHPian

Thanks a ton. I agree that its cars like sunny and scala, which are great overall packages but somehow dont sell well, that make great sense when bought used.
Old 14th September 2016, 12:22   #367
BHPian

I have a Scorpio LX Mhawk 2010 model that has done 45k on the odo. The car is in pristine condition barring a few scratches on the body, courtesy my community kids and their bikes. With my highway trips increasing of late, I am thinking of getting an upgrade done. Key requirements are good safety features (ABS, Airbags, etc.)

While going through this thread, the thought of doing a lateral upgrade is running through my mind as well. My requirement is to have a spacious car, am thinking around the following options (assuming I am going to checkout well maintained cars!)

1. Pajero (Would love to have my hand on a well maintained one, but will need to search in Chennai. The online ones have either passed through multiple owners or have done more than 1.5 lakh kms)

2. XUV 500 W8 - Though the design of the car isn't to my liking. But to think about its utility, the same engine as the Scorpio and better driving dynamics makes me think

3. Tata Aria - With the Hexa about to be launched, I can check out some well maintained ones. This car was launched with good set of features, albeit priced slightly on the higher end. I am worried about spares availability and service. If I can figure it out then this would be a good upgrade

4. Skoda Yeti - Being European, I am having second thoughts. Service is another issue

5. Innova - Not too keen, but if I come across a well maintained, low run car, then yes

6. Think big sedans - Accord, Camry, Altis, City - All make the cut, but the heart still says a big car.

I am hoping my current ride would fetch me in the range of 5 - 5.5 L. So am looking at an additional 3-5L for an upgrade

Any other suggestions?
Old 15th September 2016, 12:44   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwakarmuthu View Post
I have a Scorpio LX Mhawk 2010 model that has done 45k on the odo. The car is in pristine condition barring a few scratches on the body, courtesy my community kids and their bikes. With my highway trips increasing of late, I am thinking of getting an upgrade done. Key requirements are good safety features (ABS, Airbags, etc.)
I am hoping my current ride would fetch me in the range of 5 - 5.5 L. So am looking at an additional 3-5L for an upgrade

Any other suggestions?
Your Scorpio doesn't seem to have done much travelling in the 6 odd years. If it's going to be the same story for your next vehicle as well, then your budget can fetch you some fantastic, less used petrol sedan like an Accord, Civic or Corolla. If you don't come across too many bad roads or off roads, then a sedan makes much more sense as per my experience.

I have specifically mentioned Japs since they would ideally be as reliable as the Scorpio. The refinement and highway manners of these will be in a different league altogether as well. All the best!
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 14:57   #369
BHPian

The reason for the Scorpio doing less miles is the arrival of my son a few years back. Both me and my wife took some time to settle into parenthood and once he was ready to travel we've started to hit the road again. I've got to say the comfort of driving the beast on the highway is second to none (though I'd prefer one additional gear)

My driving has increased in the last year. I now clock an average of 1500km per month and it is bound to increase in the coming months. I can safely say that I would be doing around 2000-2500 KMs every month.

My plan is to get a small car to do my daily errands and use the big car for the long drives. I quite like the Accord the last 2 generations have stood out for me. I'm on the lookout now, let's see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Your Scorpio doesn't seem to have done much travelling in the 6 odd years. If it's going to be the same story for your next vehicle as well, then your budget can fetch you some fantastic, less used petrol sedan like an Accord, Civic or Corolla. If you don't come across too many bad roads or off roads, then a sedan makes much more sense as per my experience.

I have specifically mentioned Japs since they would ideally be as reliable as the Scorpio. The refinement and highway manners of these will be in a different league altogether as well. All the best!
Old 15th September 2016, 17:06   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwakarmuthu View Post

3. Tata Aria - With the Hexa about to be launched, I can check out some well maintained ones. This car was launched with good set of features, albeit priced slightly on the higher end. I am worried about spares availability and service. If I can figure it out then this would be a good upgrade
Aria is a great product just stay away from the initial batches. Get a late model car as all the niggles and problem would have been sorted out. Resale is very low and you would be getting a lot for peanuts with this car.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 19:12   #371
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Aria is a great product just stay away from the initial batches. Get a late model car as all the niggles and problem would have been sorted out. Resale is very low and you would be getting a lot for peanuts with this car.
Poor Aria.
It had so much in it. But they really messed up the pricing initially and then with all the price cuts the desirability factor just flew away...

It is a great car - a lot like the R Class Mercedes.

If you get an used one at a cheap price, it will certainly be a bargain because it was really really comfortable and feature loaded too.
Old 26th September 2016, 11:45   #372
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

My experience with lateral upgrades-

In 2013 when my mom moved back to india, We were looking for a small car for the in-city runs and hospital visits of my grandparents. Picked up a 2006 Wagonr Lxi done 53k kms for 1.85L(+8k for 4-power Windows). This was in December 2013.

Sold it off in 2015 October as priorities had changed and the car was up for a few major repairs. It was sold for 1.4L with ODO at 74.5k kms.

Bought a 2007 Corolla done 45k kms for 3.10L. Currently the ODO is at 64k kms.

Bought a 2014 Nano twist done 4K kms for 1.5L. Currently the ODO is at 6.5k kms.
asit.kulkarni93 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2016, 11:23   #373
BHPian

Hi Bhpians, I know this is not a used car price check thread but my questions is not entirely for a used car, so here it goes.

A few days ago I came across a Mar 2014 manufactured AUG 2014 registered VW Jetta HL Tdi DSG, which has done 34 K on Odo, at one used car dealer in Andheri, Mumbai. Took it out for a TD and haven't been able to sleep properly since. The car was in fabulous condition and the sheer pleasure of DSG + paddle shifts + multilink suspension at rear + crisp handling blew me away totally. The dealer is asking 15.25 L for the car because it has most of the features similar to the outgoing Jetta.

I feel 14 L is a fairly decent price and may be can stretch upto 14.5 L. Now, I have been meaning to upgrade from my i20 for almost a year honestly and have been test driving every new logical upgrade car launched in last 8-10 months. Inquisitively enough, I had enquired about the new rapid with a Skoda dealer and Rapid Style TDI DSG is costing 15.65 L on road Mumbai. Yesterday the dealer called me to check if I would be interested in a stock clearence sale for a 2015 Octavia Ambition TDI, the base model that is, for a huge 2.20 L discount, which effectively makes it 19.5 L on road. He is also offering me 2.75 L for my i20, which is by far the highest offered by any dealer. That is bringing my purchase value even down to a in my dreams only figure. Now Rapid is out and the I am considering used Jetta Vs old but unused Octavia. For me manual was always a first choice but DSG has spoilt me a bit and made me rethink (paddle shifters..aah).

So is the Octavia a better bet or I should save a few lacs and stick to the Jetta.
Phew.. sorry for the never ending post but your valuable inputs will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 23rd November 2016 at 11:39. Reason: Edited for readability.
T-Rex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 17:31   #374
Team-BHP Support

Press Note from Mahindra First Choice

Key Highlights:
  • Three brands, Mercedes, Audi and BMW, dominate over 90% of the luxury car market in India.
  • Residual Values and Total Cost of Ownership are becoming an important parameter for customers in the luxury car segment.
  • An analysis of the popular models through the lens of residuals revealed:
  • Residuals of premium brands indicate a 50% depreciation in 3 years, making them extremely popular in the pre-owned car segment
  • Total cost of Ownership of a luxury car is expected to be over 60% of the on-road car price over a 3-year ownership period.
  • Normalizing on-road pricing for major content, BMW vehicles command a premium in price over Audi and Mercedes
  • Mercedes’ service costs are 24% and 29% lower compared to Audi and BMW respectively
  • Online searches for luxury car brands account for close to 7% of total car searches compared to the 1% share of sales they represent, which implies luxury brands have a high aspirational element for the Indian consumer.
· Luxury cars are popular in the pre-owned car segment with Certification, emerging as an important driver of this growth.
· Leasing with buyback guarantees is expected to propel the growth of the luxury car segment (albeit from a small base) in the coming years, as these guarantees provide “peace of mind” to the consumer.
· Demonetisation of high value currency is expected to have adverse short term impact both on the sales of luxury new cars and pre-owned cars

Last edited by ajmat : 24th November 2016 at 17:32.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 17:14   #375

Sell Swift ZDi and buy Used Sedan? Problem is insufficient boot space and rear seats

I need some advice on replacing my 2014 Swift ZDi:

I own a 2014 Swift ZDi which has clocked around 33k KM's so far. I currently live around 21kms from office and hence i had bought a diesel. However, I plan to shift closer to the office in a few months (3 kms). So I may not need a car for daily commute rather for outstation trips. With the Swift the disadvantage is the boot space. I need some advice around what my options are:

1) Want a car with a decent boot space and comfortable rear seats (we use a child seat for my 10 month old daughter)

2) Can't take an SUV since my wife would also drive.

3) Can't take a new loan anytime soon, so will have to be in the price I can get from the Swift, even if I have to buy a used car.

There is no loan on the Swift. Would love to get some thoughts on this.

+ Advice from heydj on the other thread also scares me:
"With new model in place it will depreciate and that will not fetch good price meaning in near future you will be in a situation with a itch to buy and this time even lesser money in pocket. "
Raviganatra1981 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks