Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2017, 14:17   #406
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)

Guys looking for another addition to the fleet. Will be primarily driven by my wife and myself. Looking at used options.

Actually have the entire gamut under consideration. Some of the choices are

1. Mercedes - C/E Class
2. BMW -3/5 Series/ X1
3. Audi A4/A6
4. Any Volvo
5. Toyota Fortuner/ Camry
6. Honda CRV/ Accord
7. NISSAN X-Trail/ Teana

My budget is INR 15 lakhs (upper limit) and dont want to spend more than IN 30-40K a year in maintenance. Running is about 4-5K a year

My initial thoughts - A 4-6 year German would fit in the budget. However not sure on the reliability aspect

Volvo would be willing but not many examples out there

Toyota Fortuner holds its value rather too well. Would prefer the newer CAMRY Model

Honda CRV/ Accord- Safe but boring options

NISSAN Teana seems exciting and cheap. However no idea on the spare parts/ maintenance.

Please through light on the conundrum. Preferably looking for a car 2011 onwards. Needs to be automatic (Mumbai Traffic) and should be relatively easy to maintain.

Okay with a Sedan or an SUV.

Guys please help. Feel Free to add anything i missed out.

Wee here goes with regard to consideration points
1. Needs to be a bit of an upgrade/ similar level to a Passat
2. Needs to drive reasonably well
3. Needs to be fairly reliable with no more than 50K spent in a year
4. Primarily for city driving
5. Running is less than 5K a year so fuel costs dont really matter
6. Should be fairly comfortable place to be in.

Just reiterating, will not be spend more than 5K a year in this car. Hence fuel wont matter. Yes Reliability, manoeuvrability in traffic, front seat comfort and
a bit of driving pleasure would help.

Open to SUV or a sedan. Help appreciated
punitkakri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2017, 20:25   #407
BHPian

Hi guys. Help needed. A close acquaintance is selling his very well maintained Oct 2008 Honda City ZX (Gxi) with 68,000 km on the odo. I am seriously considering it as it is well maintained and Honda cars seem to have really good reliability record.

I was anyway thinking of buying a bigger car to replace my 2012 Brio. The cost he is quoting is very tempting (Rs. 2 lakh) and I actually might make money on the deal as my Brio might bring a little bit more than that.

How risky is it to buy a 8 year old Honda? I understand that clutch, suspension or engine mounts may require replacement. Is that true? Or as long as they are in good condition, that may not be required? I plan to keep that car for 3-4 years and may be upgrade again. I am considering it as I may get very high value for the City even after 3-4 years when I plan to sell it.

Kindly let me know what you guys think. I am ok with cancelling the plan if it goes against all logic. But it being a Honda and such a good price it seems like a good decision as I really want to upgrade the Brio.

Thank you!
Old 4th September 2017, 19:39   #408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpingheart View Post
Hi guys. Help needed. A close acquaintance is selling his very well maintained Oct 2008 Honda City ZX (Gxi) with 68,000 km on the odo. I am seriously considering it as it is well maintained and Honda cars seem to have really good reliability record.
Apart from offering more space and a larger boot, I don't know if it will really be an upgrade. It is an older generation so don't expect crash safety to be up to the mark, also speaking of safety, I don't think that model had any airbags. As far as buying it goes, don't be too tempted by the price; the car has done 70k kms and will soon need bushes, belts etc. replaced which will cost a lot. Lastly, what great resale value are you expecting to get for a car that is being sold to you for 2 lakhs? It will become 13 years old by the time you are done with it and that too it is the least popular generation of the City. The model you are talking about is under-powered and does not even come with VTEC which is a basic expectation from anyone looking to buy a Honda. For some enthusiasts like me, a Honda with no VTEC is not even a Honda

I'd suggest waiting for some time and saving up for atleast the next generation 2009 model. I for one simply don't see the temptation behind this one.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 4th September 2017 at 19:41.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 21:18   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Apart from offering more space and a larger boot, I don't know if it will really be an upgrade. It is an older generation so don't expect crash safety to be up to the mark, also speaking of safety, I don't think that model had any airbags. As far as buying it goes, don't be too tempted by the price; the car has done 70k kms and will soon need bushes, belts etc. replaced which will cost a lot. Lastly, what great resale value are you expecting to get for a car that is being sold to you for 2 lakhs? It will become 13 years old by the time you are done with it and that too it is the least popular generation of the City. The model you are talking about is under-powered and does not even come with VTEC which is a basic expectation from anyone looking to buy a Honda. For some enthusiasts like me, a Honda with no VTEC is not even a Honda

I'd suggest waiting for some time and saving up for atleast the next generation 2009 model. I for one simply don't see the temptation behind this one.
Hey thanks for the reply. Well, one test drive and I lost interest. The car felt quite old. It definitely had a decently punchy engine and felt pretty tight for the age but surely didn't feel like an upgrade. So gave up on the idea immediately. It also had quite a few scratches and all.
Old 7th October 2017, 14:20   #410
BHPian

Hi! I'm going to look at a Jetta 1.4TSi comfortline tomorrow. The car has 51k on the odo and is registered as 2013 (most likely a 2012 make). The owner claims that all records are available and he has used only 1 service center throughout. Any pointers on what all should I look at will be much appreciated. What should be the ideal price if the car is in good condition?
Old 8th October 2017, 08:11   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBa View Post
Hi! I'm going to look at a Jetta 1.4TSi comfortline tomorrow. The car has 51k on the odo and is registered as 2013 (most likely a 2012 make). The owner claims that all records are available and he has used only 1 service center throughout. Any pointers on what all should I look at will be much appreciated. What should be the ideal price if the car is in good condition?
I recently bought a Jetta 1.4TSi CL, 27K, 2014, in extended warranty.

Great car. Don't go by numeric analysis that the car is under-powered. In the initial RPM (which you will use 99% of the time) it feels better than the 1.8TSi and the 2.0TDi motors. However, above 3K mark, it is quite lackluster. But in return you get great FE figures. I get an average of ~19KMPL on highways runs. Also, you do get to hear the engine clearly in the cabin, but you like it or not is a personal preference.
acemanhiflier is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2017, 09:55   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acemanhiflier View Post
I recently bought a Jetta 1.4TSi CL, 27K, 2014, in extended warranty.

Great car. Don't go by numeric analysis that the car is under-powered. In the initial RPM (which you will use 99% of the time) it feels better than the 1.8TSi and the 2.0TDi motors. However, above 3K mark, it is quite lackluster. But in return you get great FE figures. I get an average of ~19KMPL on highways runs. Also, you do get to hear the engine clearly in the cabin, but you like it or not is a personal preference.
Thanks Aceman! Having read multiple reviews and ownership threads, I echo your words. My concern is more regarding the mechanical side of it. Since I'm looking at a 2013 vintage, which is out of warranty and has seen adequate amount of running (>10k per year), I want to know if there are certain specific areas where I should look at. For example, clutch/flywheel replacement, tyres (which seems to be stock), etc. From some closer shots that I received this morning, it seems that one of the headlights is all dirty from inside. This could be a result of a damage or leakage as well. We all know that these things especially for a German don't come cheap so wanted to check if there are any other specific areas that I should observe closely. Anything from your experience of owning this car so far will be highly valuable.
Old 8th October 2017, 12:32   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Aceman! Having read multiple reviews and ownership threads, I echo your words. My concern is more regarding the mechanical side of it. Since I'm looking at a 2013 vintage, which is out of warranty and has seen adequate amount of running (>10k per year), I want to know if there are certain specific areas where I should look at. For example, clutch/flywheel replacement, tyres (which seems to be stock), etc. From some closer shots that I received this morning, it seems that one of the headlights is all dirty from inside. This could be a result of a damage or leakage as well. We all know that these things especially for a German don't come cheap so wanted to check if there are any other specific areas that I should observe closely. Anything from your experience of owning this car so far will be highly valuable.
I have recently purchased my car. So do not have much of experience. However, do get VAG scan done at authorized showroom along with report on any fault codes. Costs roughly 1K. In fact, get a full paid service done. Service Center should bring out if there are any shortfalls.

Jetta is a well engineered and solid package. However, in my case there is a nagging door rattle (driver side). I hope it is one off issue, which I will try to sort out today.
acemanhiflier is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2017, 13:16   #414
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Try and take a qualified mechanic along if possible to check things like the clutch and brakes along with suspension. Also check whether the car has lost a lot of damping when it comes to ride. Could point to worn out shock absorbers.

Other than this, the 1.4 TSI is a solid package. The Jetta itself is a well engineered car and my TDI has crossed 45K with only a loose oil pipe fixed free of cost. It's a simple car with minimal electronics.

The only thing you need to check for is consumables such as break pads and suspension wear.

Quote:

Jetta is a well engineered and solid package. However, in my case there is a nagging door rattle (driver side). I hope it is one off issue, which I will try to sort out today.
Take a plastic trim removal tool or a flat head screw driver and gently pry open the reflector at the bottom of the door. Put your finger in and check if any plastic grommet has fallen of. It will look like a bush. This is actually one of the clips holding the door card to the door.
vishy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2017, 13:27   #415
BHPian

Quote:
I have recently purchased my car. So do not have much of experience. However, do get VAG scan done at authorized showroom along with report on any fault codes. Costs roughly 1K. In fact, get a full paid service done. Service Center should bring out if there are any shortfalls.

Thanks! Will surely get the scan done. Given that the entire history is with one service center, will try and pull that out as well. I have heard about the door rattles in other ownership threads. Seems like a common issue. Vishy76's explanation above will come in handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Try and take a qualified mechanic along if possible to check things like the clutch and brakes along with suspension. Also check whether the car has lost a lot of damping when it comes to ride. Could point to worn out shock absorbers.

Other than this, the 1.4 TSI is a solid package. The Jetta itself is a well engineered car and my TDI has crossed 45K with only a loose oil pipe fixed free of cost. It's a simple car with minimal electronics.

The only thing you need to check for is consumables such as break pads and suspension wear.
Thanks! Helps build up confidence. Will try and watch out for the dampers. The ride if I understand correctly is slightly on a firmer side, right?
Old 8th October 2017, 13:47   #416
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! Helps build up confidence. Will try and watch out for the dampers. The ride if I understand correctly is slightly on a firmer side, right?
Yes the ride is a bit firm but it should never be jarring or unbearable. No one has ever complained of stiff suspension in my car, only I as a car enthusiast have that impression.

Tak Tak noises or unpleasant clunks is what you would want to look for here. The multilink suspension is on the expensive side to fix although it doesn't go wrong too often. This is because of the number of bushes and linkages present and the labor involved. It does promise beautiful ride and handling combination though, which is simply unparalleled even today.
vishy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2017, 19:00   #417
BHPian

So the impressions are as follows:
1. Interiors
1.a. They have held up with the running and no sore points here.
1.b. There were sounds as if something was loose in the drivers' door. I checked the door pockets and they were empty. looks like its the same thing aceman mentioned in his post. Will get it checked at VW.
1.c. There was a tear in the roof lining near to the sunglasses holder. Not sure if it can be fixed or the whole lining needs to be changed. Any pointers on this will be appreciated.
1.d. Some strange sound comes from the glovebox while opening. Doesn't seem much of a reason to be worried about.
1.e. No error codes on the cluster. Needle sweep not activated :P
1.f. Interior lights and switches, etc. working fine. The owner had got the power window motors changed for all the windows under warranty as the original ones failed to work.
1.g. The gearbox leather cover needs a replacement. The leather facing towards the front has given away.

2. Exteriors
2.a. The car has visible scratches but can live with them. 3M treatment could mask some of these
2.b. The left front headlamp has a hairline crack near the bumper. This is the reason for the dusty and unclear left lamp. Although its is working fine but to me it needs replacement. Any idea how much a pair would be for?
2.c. The rear bumper has a small hole as a Vikram had hit the car from behind. Can figure out something with the 3M guys for this.
2.d. The left rear tail lamp has cracks and needs replacement. Again, any indications on cost would be useful.
2.e. The front bumper has been replaced under claim once. Owner mentioned that it was done for cosmetic reasons. The current bumper is also slightly misaligned but not a major concern.

3. Ride-This may be biased
3.a. I'm a big fan of TSi's and this one is just good for my primary city use. Power kicks in post 1200-1400 rpm and no drama felt whatsoever. Drove past through mild and no traffic conditions and no issues at all.
3.b. Clutch action is still positive. However, I feel a replacement may be needed ih the next 10k kms given it is already at 52k
3.c. Suspension did not return with any noise as I passed a speadbreaker (could not get any potholed road in the vicinity). There was no kat kat sound, but for once there was a thud as I drove past a slightly raked one. Suspension seems sorted. Will take VW's opinion on it.

The battery was replaced last year and tyres were changed 8 months back to Giti comforts (not at all to my liking and needs replacement).
The owner is quoting 7L (its an August 2012 mfg car regd in Jan 2013) but given the above facts, I feel it should be lower. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Last edited by MacBa : 8th October 2017 at 19:05. Reason: More info added
Old 9th October 2017, 16:37   #418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The owner is quoting 7L (its an August 2012 mfg car regd in Jan 2013) but given the above facts, I feel it should be lower. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
Tell him 6 lacs; take it or leave it. Unless you don't mind paying so much money and still being left with a car with not only faded (which can in a few cases be buffed out) but broken lights, torn roof-lining (entire thing will need to be replaced), misaligned bumper meaning clips are bust, scratches all over and a cheap set of tyres. This car has clearly been owned by people who cannot drive it properly, and also cannot afford to keep it in good shape; 5k per tyre on a D-segment car with 16 inch wheels is a joke (I had to google these ones cause I had never even heard of them) and I thought the stock tyres on the Jetta and Laura were bad So if they did not bother to drive it properly or cough up enough cash to maintain it properly, why should you have to pay extra? That too in the capital of the country where taxes also aren't so high
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 21:50   #419
BHPian

Folks,

A friend of mine is looking to sell his BMW 3GT Luxury Line in Bangalore. What is a fair price to expect for a flawlessly maintained 2014-Sep manufactured, 2015-Jan bought car with just 16,700 miles and BSI + normal (i.e. no extended warranty).
Old 10th October 2017, 08:02   #420
BHPian

Quote:
I agree with FM above. 6-6.5L should be a fair pricing for this. I paid 7.5L for my car which is mid 2014, 27K kms, original tires, impeccable condition (other than door rattle, minor scratches and one missing AC vent tab), in extended warranty and 0-dep insurance till mid 2018.

Last edited by Aditya : 16th October 2017 at 07:30. Reason: Trimming quoted text
acemanhiflier is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks