Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2016, 16:27   #2296
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Find your car's date of manufacture (VIN)

Hi guys,

I have received VIN number for Maruti Suzuki S-Cross 1.3. The dealer tells me that the month/year of manufacture is Jan 2016. The last 2 characters of the VIN are A4.

From Maruti Suzuki VIN Decoder post, I can see that A stands for month of January. But what about the number 4? Does it mean 2016? The number 5 stands for 2005 (and the number was incremented in every subsequent year), so maybe they have reset the number to 4 to represent manufacturing year of 2016.

Can anybody confirm this?
Old 15th February 2016, 19:37   #2297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodest View Post
I have received VIN number for Maruti Suzuki S-Cross 1.3. The dealer tells me that the month/year of manufacture is Jan 2016. The last 2 characters of the VIN are A4.
Hi,

I have been made to understand by my NEXA dealer that they have changed the VIN Format of NEXA cars as opposed to regular Maruti cars. In NEXA cars, (S Cross & Baleno), the 10th & 11th characters of the VIN specify Year & Month, respectively.

Since your dealer claims the car to be a Jan 2016 manufactured, the 10th & 11th characters in your VIN should be GA. (G = 2016, A = January)

Hope this helps. Cheers!
Old 16th February 2016, 10:23   #2298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viv_cal View Post
Hi,

I have been made to understand by my NEXA dealer that they have changed the VIN Format of NEXA cars as opposed to regular Maruti cars. In NEXA cars, (S Cross & Baleno), the 10th & 11th characters of the VIN specify Year & Month, respectively.

Since your dealer claims the car to be a Jan 2016 manufactured, the 10th & 11th characters in your VIN should be GA. (G = 2016, A = January)

Hope this helps. Cheers!
I don't think this is true. The 10th and 11th characters in the VIN given to me are digits. I still feel that it is the last 2 characters of the VIN which determine the manufacturing month and year.
Old 16th February 2016, 17:20   #2299
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think this is true. The 10th and 11th characters in the VIN given to me are digits. I still feel that it is the last 2 characters of the VIN which determine the manufacturing month and year.
I am not too sure either. Have you received a 21 character VIN from your dealer? I received a 17 character VIN from my dealer on allotment of my Baleno last week. Did a PDI yesterday and found the same 17 character VIN stamped in the engine bay of my car, as opposed to the regular 21 characters. On further enquiry, i was told about the change in VIN format for NEXA cars.

Btw, i have GA as the 10th & 11th characters of my VIN. Also, all the tyres are Jan 2016 manufactured (0116), so i am assuming that the car is Jan 2016 manufactured too... hence i bought his logic. You may inquire further with your dealer. (Last 2 digits of my VIN is 84)
Old 17th February 2016, 13:45   #2300
BHPian

Guys,

I booked my Xcent on 11th February @ Hyundai Motor Plaza, Chennai - expecting a delivery on 19th (this Friday).

Today, I got my VIN number which, on decoding, says that it is January'2016 car (MALA841CLGM162344*A).

On contacting the dealer, he says that the production was on 29th January. And the billing was done on 15-Feb.

1. Wanted to know how to verify the production date that the dealer is claiming?
2. I'm okay with a less than 1-month old car. Does any of you see any red-flags? I'll be doing a PDI tomorrow.

TIA!
Old 17th February 2016, 14:32   #2301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
1. Wanted to know how to verify the production date that the dealer is claiming?
2. I'm okay with a less than 1-month old car. Does any of you see any red-flags? I'll be doing a PDI tomorrow.
One month old car is fine. Go ahead and enjoy your drive.
Where you are doing the PDI? At yard or at the showroom? Payment is already done?
Old 17th February 2016, 17:39   #2302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift View Post
One month old car is fine. Go ahead and enjoy your drive.
Where you are doing the PDI? At yard or at the showroom? Payment is already done?
Thanks mate!!
I saw your post about i20-Active in 'Booked-my-car' thread. Congrats to you too!!

Payment is done.
PDI location: The dealer said that the car would arrive tomorrow morning to his showroom (Ekkatuthangal). And from there, they would move it to their yard (Alandur - it's actually near my home).

Since I want to finish the PDI in the morning, I would most-probably be going to the showroom only.

Cheers!
Old 18th February 2016, 08:41   #2303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viv_cal View Post
I am not too sure either. Have you received a 21 character VIN from your dealer? I received a 17 character VIN from my dealer on allotment of my Baleno last week. Did a PDI yesterday and found the same 17 character VIN stamped in the engine bay of my car, as opposed to the regular 21 characters. On further enquiry, i was told about the change in VIN format for NEXA cars.

Btw, i have GA as the 10th & 11th characters of my VIN. Also, all the tyres are Jan 2016 manufactured (0116), so i am assuming that the car is Jan 2016 manufactured too... hence i bought his logic. You may inquire further with your dealer. (Last 2 digits of my VIN is 84)
yes, there does exist lot of confusion. I'm wasn't able to crack the code either. Even I received a 17 character VIN. Form 20 as well as Nexa app mentions this seventeen character VIN for me. 10 and 11th digits are 00 for me. Good thing is because it's difficult to decode and I've registered in February 2016 I'll push off the car as 2016 while selling .
Old 18th February 2016, 10:19   #2304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani7766 View Post
yes, there does exist lot of confusion. I'm wasn't able to crack the code either. Even I received a 17 character VIN. Form 20 as well as Nexa app mentions this seventeen character VIN for me. 10 and 11th digits are 00 for me. Good thing is because it's difficult to decode and I've registered in February 2016 I'll push off the car as 2016 while selling .
Even the 10th and 11th digits are 00 for me. Whats going on?
However, the dealer has provided me with 19 character VIN. I will now check the VIN myself during the PDI.
Old 23rd February 2016, 21:39   #2305
BHPian

HI Guys,

I can't seem to find how to decode the VIN of beemers. Any leads?
Old 27th February 2016, 19:06   #2306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandan View Post
I can't seem to find how to decode the VIN of beemers. Any leads?
Please refer this post to decode the VIN for BMW.
Old 27th February 2016, 21:55   #2307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Drive View Post
Please refer this post to decode the VIN for BMW.
Thanks! The link is throwing an error. Any where else I can check?
Old 27th February 2016, 23:18   #2308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandan View Post
Thanks! The link is throwing an error. Any where else I can check?
Can you share the VIN?
Old 29th February 2016, 00:31   #2309
BHPian

Quote:
Even the 10th and 11th digits are 00 for me. Whats going on?
However, the dealer has provided me with 19 character VIN. I will now check the VIN myself during the PDI.
Did the PDI and verified the VIN. The last two characters of the VIN are BG. B - Feb G - 2016. Hope this helps others as well.
Old 2nd March 2016, 17:29   #2310
BHPian

Hi, A friend's VIN for a renault kwid that he has booked needs to be looked up. Could you pls help. VIN : MEEBBA006G2335254.

Most Viewed