Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2011, 14:08   #1
BHPian

JVC HU - Occasional Misbehavior

I have JVC HU Model KD-G385 in my Palio for the past 3 years. From the past 2-3 months it has developed this problem:

Whenever I switch-off the ignition and switch-on after some time (for example, in a traffic signal) it refuses to start playing. The HU switches-on, displays the album title and everything - but it just doesn't play the songs. I have to eject the CD, insert again and it starts playing - but from the first song!!

- This doesn't happen if the HU is in FM tuner mode.
- Also note that this doesn't happen always. Sometimes it starts palying from the same song when the start the ignition.
- It's out of warranty now.

Can someone help me assess the problem?
Old 28th April 2011, 19:37   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: JVC HU - Occasional Misbehavior

Is the problem only with 1 CD?

Is so, the CD itself could have developed bad sectors and hence become unreadable at some points.

Also note that the CD reader laser has a limited life; and it eventually loses the ability to read some CDs especially CD-Rs.

In our older laptop, the CDROM drive behaved erratically; at times it wouldn't read some CDRs and almost completely lost its ability to burn CDs.

PS : In case the reader head is wearing out, there is one thing you can try prolonging its life - get it cleaned from a good accessories shop.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 28th April 2011 at 19:42.
Old 29th April 2011, 08:47   #3
BHPian

^^ Nope. It happens with all CD's. When it runs it keeps playing without disruption. Only when I switch-off the ingnition and switch-on again, it doesn't play - that too not always, but say 5/10 times.
Old 29th April 2011, 11:36   #4
Team-BHP Support

This must have something to do with the reader. Have that checked; and it should mostly solve the problem.
Old 2nd November 2011, 15:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: JVC HU - Need a USB port

I have a JVC HU CD player with JBL speakers in my car. The CD player has gone kaput. Got it checked and it seems the digital head is gone. I am not interested in repairing the CD unit anyway. Can I get a USB port installed into it and if so what is the cost and where can I get it done in Blr?
Old 2nd November 2011, 16:17   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ I read somewhere on the forum that Anwar(Auto Fusion) did this on a Pioneer 8450 cassette player
Old 4th November 2011, 01:32   #7
BHPian

ch.nathan Check if the time on HU also gets Reset,
if the time is reseted their are 2 possibilities
1).the wire which gives power to HU even with IGN. off is broken or has a problem.

2).check with HU manual or a service center if the HU has a battery inside to retain the settings which needs replacement.
Old 5th November 2012, 14:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Again back to the question, can a USB in be fitted into a single din JVC unit? If so what components and at what cost? Can anyone suggest who would be able to do it in Blr?
Old 5th November 2012, 16:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
... can a USB in be fitted into a single din JVC unit? ...
No, one cannot additionally fit a USB port in an existing HU which didn't have one. One has to replace the HU with one that already has one.

Search in the DIY section for a thread where someone has tried to build one using off-the-shelf components. Maybe that will work for you if you don't want to replace your old JVC.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks