Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2011, 01:07   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Digital Audio Processing in a Carputer/Car PC for Dummies

Getting away from this debate, WHO, after reading this tutorial is actually going to try it??
And whoever does, needs to post their issues and troubles here. It's going to be mighty helpful.
I want car pcs to become the norm, rather than rarities. I know that's not happening anytime soon, but the more the merrier. And you will enjoy the benefits immediately!
Old 18th May 2011, 09:38   #32
BHPian

Hey Frank few question.
- Considering that Hibernate takes places after you switch off the car.This would mean that the PC is directly connected to the battery bypassing the ignition swtich control, because it would need power even after the ignition key is removed from the slot for hibernate.
- What is the PC configuration (CPU, Memory, motherboard, Monitor)
- How are you managing Bluetooth-phone interface with the PC (Anything for that)
- Which version of Win 7 are you using ?
- What about FM radio? are you planning any interfaces with that. there are a lot of FM radio cards available but not sure about how they would integrate with the CAR FM antenna
Old 18th May 2011, 09:46   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
In fact, let's do it. I am game. Let your wife's car be, let's do your Skoda!!! Whatsay!?! Then you don't need to worry about listening to music on your headphones!! Come on! This is too tempting for you to pass off!
Frank it does not matter what the source is I listen to headphones because

a. Most cars do not have great speaker locations in the rear (which is where I sit)
b. I do not want to disturb my chauffer whose job it is to look out for and listen to traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Even I'm not saying that you SHOULD not get an SSD, but I'm really not sure its worth it.
I have no knowledge about PCs but I can say this. I was playing with a SSD equipped laptop a few days a ago and it was blazing fast for boot up. I dont know about those bench tests either because the applications I use dont require many GFLOPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
WHO, after reading this tutorial is actually going to try it??

I want car pcs to become the norm, rather than rarities. I know that's not happening anytime soon, but the more the merrier. And you will enjoy the benefits immediately!
Frank when a car PC boots as fast as a regular HU (like my 9835/9887 or even the X305 or Kenwood BT900) then car PCs will catch on. Even the most hard boiled audiophile wants to listen to the music as soon as they enter the car not play with motherbaords, SSDs, etc..
Old 18th May 2011, 23:31   #34
Senior - BHPian

A few pictures, and a short video. Remember to switch to HD on youtube for good quality.
My camera battery went dead while shooting the video. So only 1/4th of it was saved. In the next part I will show you guys how seamless the operation is, and how fast the computer operates.

Attached Thumbnails
Digital Audio Processing in a Carputer/Car PC for Dummies-dsc_0109-copy.jpg  

Digital Audio Processing in a Carputer/Car PC for Dummies-dsc_0110-copy.jpg  

Digital Audio Processing in a Carputer/Car PC for Dummies-dsc_0111-copy.jpg  

Digital Audio Processing in a Carputer/Car PC for Dummies-dsc_0118-copy.jpg  

Digital Audio Processing in a Carputer/Car PC for Dummies-dsc_0119-copy.jpg  

Digital Audio Processing in a Carputer/Car PC for Dummies-dsc_0121-copy.jpg  

Digital Audio Processing in a Carputer/Car PC for Dummies-dsc_0122-copy.jpg  

Digital Audio Processing in a Carputer/Car PC for Dummies-dsc_0123-copy.jpg  

Digital Audio Processing in a Carputer/Car PC for Dummies-dsc_0127-copy.jpg  

Digital Audio Processing in a Carputer/Car PC for Dummies-dsc_0128-copy.jpg  

Digital Audio Processing in a Carputer/Car PC for Dummies-dsc_0129-copy.jpg  

Digital Audio Processing in a Carputer/Car PC for Dummies-dsc_0131-copy.jpg  

Digital Audio Processing in a Carputer/Car PC for Dummies-dsc_0132-copy.jpg  

Digital Audio Processing in a Carputer/Car PC for Dummies-dsc_0133-copy.jpg  

Digital Audio Processing in a Carputer/Car PC for Dummies-dsc_0134-copy.jpg  

Digital Audio Processing in a Carputer/Car PC for Dummies-dsc_0135-copy.jpg  

Digital Audio Processing in a Carputer/Car PC for Dummies-dsc_0137-copy.jpg  

Digital Audio Processing in a Carputer/Car PC for Dummies-dsc_0138-copy.jpg  

frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 12:56   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinu_joseph View Post
- Considering that Hibernate takes places after you switch off the car.This would mean that the PC is directly connected to the battery bypassing the ignition swtich control, because it would need power even after the ignition key is removed from the slot for hibernate.
These power supplies have one +12V connection permanently hooked up to the battery and a second +12V connection from ignition, or ACC position to provide the Turn On/ Off signal.
Bass&Trouble is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 17:22   #36
Senior - BHPian

Ques: Considering that Hibernate takes places after you switch off the car.This would mean that the PC is directly connected to the battery bypassing the ignition swtich control, because it would need power even after the ignition key is removed from the slot for hibernate.
Ans: Yes, the power supply has a direct connection to the battery and we all know that the computer consumes extremely less power when on hibernate mode. When I want to leave the car unused for a week or two, I will shut the PC down completely.

Ques: What is the PC configuration (CPU, Memory, motherboard, Monitor)
Ans: Core i3 530 + Gigabyte H55M + 2 GB Transcend DDR3 RAM + Touchscreen HDMi LED Monitor (7 inches) + 500 gb 1.8 inch laptop drive.

Ques: How are you managing Bluetooth-phone interface with the PC (Anything for that)
Ans: I am yet to do any stuff other than audio yet. Will do the bluetooth part last, since it requires a good noise cancelling microphone. Besides, the whole bluetooth thing with an *ahem* version of Centrafuse is a little dicey due to pesky Bluesoleil licensing.
Right now, since I am done with Audio, I am almost done with getting Garmin Mobile PC to work, with the latest GPS maps from Satguide (February 2011)

Ques: Which version of Win 7 are you using ?
Ans: Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit

Ques: What about FM radio? are you planning any interfaces with that. there are a lot of FM radio cards available but not sure about how they would integrate with the CAR FM antenna
Ans: With 260 gigs of music, Radio becomes slightly redundant. I know there are a lot of modules available, but the good ones cost $140-180. Too much for FM radio, isn't it?? Internet Radio wouldn't consume more than 50-100 mb of data a month, and I already have Tata Indicom running in the car.

Quote:
I have no knowledge about PCs but I can say this. I was playing with a SSD equipped laptop a few days a ago and it was blazing fast for boot up. I dont know about those bench tests either because the applications I use dont require many GFLOPS.
SSD is my medium of choice. But I shall invest in one only when I can get a 256 gb SSD for around 5k. (soon, but not very)

Quote:
Frank when a car PC boots as fast as a regular HU (like my 9835/9887 or even the X305 or Kenwood BT900) then car PCs will catch on. Even the most hard boiled audiophile wants to listen to the music as soon as they enter the car not play with motherbaords, SSDs, etc..
I am coming to your house tonight. Let's see which one starts playing audio first. Your 9887 connected to an iPod, or my 'puter.
I predict a very close finish, won by your iPod.

Last edited by Technocrat : 19th May 2011 at 21:48. Reason: Highlighted Qs & As :)
Old 19th May 2011, 22:00   #37
BHPian

An extra on/off switch comes really handy if one's running Windows! Something mentioned here (The Second 'thing') : "http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-off-show-off/56809-my-5000-car-pc-tata-safari-2.html#post1265446" is absolutely drool stuff. I've been searching for it for an year now but was unable to find anything close!
Old 19th May 2011, 22:01   #38
Senior - BHPian

I have an INGENIOUS switch for power. Wait till I take a photo of it and post it here. It's super smart and stealth!
Old 19th May 2011, 22:48   #39
Senior - BHPian

Let's end the confusion. I went down specially to take this video so everyone can see it. There are 3 videos.

One where I boot up from hibernate (like I do everyday)

One where I restart the PC to see how much time it takes for a cold start

One is a fun video with lots of stuff happening, mostly with Centrafuse and lots of other stuff. This video has a great soundtrack (music playing in the car) so you guys will enjoy it :-)
Old 20th May 2011, 10:18   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAddict View Post
An extra on/off switch comes really handy if one's running Windows! Something mentioned here (The Second 'thing') : "http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-off-show-off/56809-my-5000-car-pc-tata-safari-2.html#post1265446" is absolutely drool stuff. I've been searching for it for an year now but was unable to find anything close!
See the DIY thread on mp3car forum for the CAT5 cable controller

Cheers
Old 20th May 2011, 15:22   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I was also very fussy about this when I first had the thought of installing a car PC. But remember that the startup of the PC is automatic. It commences the instant you switch on the ignition. I notice that by the time I have started the car, switched on the aircon, strapped myself to the seat, scratched myself in a few itchy sectors on my person and started looking for what would have been the head unit's power button, the car PC is raring to go.
Bass&Trouble is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2011, 17:39   #42
Senior - BHPian

Do you switch off the HU and AC before switching off the car? Well, "to itch is human, to scratch - divine", so let us leave that out . I put the seat belt on before I turn the key on (I hate the beeps), and never switch off AC or HU before switching the car off. Most of the time, the dedicated HU starts playing before I turn the key (takes 6 seconds longer if I am playing off USB). Now, what 'normal' CarPC (not Intel Core i3, which dissipates too much heat for my comfort - I prefer a fan-less setup) can do that?

I have used Intel Atom 330 dual core on a GCLF2 board (stays cool with the CPU fan itself, no cabinet fans needed):
Pros:
* Plays videos just fine - don't need HD quality. Does all that Frank's PC does (I rely on Windows mixer with default settings though, never have time to rewire it internally)
* Use a Reliance dongle for Internet and Skype (quieter environment in my car for office telecons; even my colleagues recognize I am on the road)
* Fun listening to Comedy, Oldies or Classic Rock channels on Internet radio (of course, my HU can't do this).

Cons:
* Initial boot takes 15 seconds, with an additional 15 seconds taken before boot - because of the stupid Creative X-Fi USB based sound card.
* Another 5 seconds for Centrafuse to come on, +2 seconds for the last playing song to come on.
So 37-40 sec. Either I have to wait that much time for the CarPC to settle down before driving off, or drive off and be patient till it starts playing.

BTW, Frank, I have used a 'zero-current-switching' switch near the power connector on the CarPC cabinet to switch it off when I don't want it. Actually it is just an old Hergestellt in der Schweiz toggle switch from a table lamp. I toggle off it after the PC goes off (shutdown/hibernate), or before I start the car.
Old 21st May 2011, 12:16   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
BTW, Frank, I have used a 'zero-current-switching' switch near the power connector on the CarPC cabinet to switch it off when I don't want it. Actually it is just an old Hergestellt in der Schweiz toggle switch from a table lamp. I toggle off it after the PC goes off (shutdown/hibernate), or before I start the car.
Cool. I have something invented by my installer. Will take photos of it to show you.
Simple and easy.
Not a zero current switching type of switch though.
Old 21st May 2011, 12:22   #44
BHPian

i presume thats why FM got a core i3 rather than an Atom procc...
while the atom is sufficient for doing everything required, it doesn't have the juice to do it fast enough.

@Frank: i have a suggestion to speed things up slightly...
Get an SSD [32GB just for system files]
and get like 4 high speed USB pen drives [64 GB ones] for the Music.
SSD's are Way faster & more reliable than HDD's.
Old 21st May 2011, 12:59   #45
Senior - BHPian

For anything other than web browsing (without flash) and word processing. Atom is NOT recommended. Absolutely not. Even the dual core variety sucks. Sometimes I feel the Hummingbird chipset in my Galaxy S is much better. By leagues.

Most Viewed