Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2011, 17:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY PICS : ANHC Fiberglass Subwoofer Box

Use some Polyfill (used in pillows and cushions) or fiber-glass to cut the resonance. Dynamat will only damp the surface it is stuck to, reducing box vibrations but not cutting out reflections which cause resonance.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 19:04   #17
BHPian

DIY PICS : ANHC Fiberglass Subwoofer Box-img2011051900103.jpg
DIY PICS : ANHC Fiberglass Subwoofer Box-img2011051900104.jpg
The cloth was put from under the rings with the dowels attached, and then superglued to the pair of mdf rings.
A better way would have been to put it between the mdf rings and then screw the rings together and we can avoid the fiberglass mat which i put in between earlier.

DIY PICS : ANHC Fiberglass Subwoofer Box-img2011051900107.jpg
DIY PICS : ANHC Fiberglass Subwoofer Box-img2011051900108.jpg
Now the dowels were screwed on to the base of the mould at the holes made earlier (and used hotmelt glue to seal the gaps between dowel ends and fg mould) and the cloth edges were glued using superglue for a tight finish. Also cloth used was cotton viscose, the viscose would give elasticity and being synthetic in nature would melt and stick to the fg mould because of the super glue.

DIY PICS : ANHC Fiberglass Subwoofer Box-img2011051900109.jpg
DIY PICS : ANHC Fiberglass Subwoofer Box-img2011051900110.jpg
Because fg mat was applied between the rings which was a mistake it had to be trimmed after the cloth was tightened (because i noticed it had become hard on the edges and would result in air pockets between the ring and the cloth. After trimming a layer of resin was applied all over and left to dry.

DIY PICS : ANHC Fiberglass Subwoofer Box-img2011051900111.jpg
After drying for about 30mins a layer of mat was applied all over with resin.

DIY PICS : ANHC Fiberglass Subwoofer Box-img2011051900113.jpg
Because of the one mistake of applying fg mat between the mdf rings i had to grind the edges of hardened fg and also taper the mdf rings on the outside for a flush type finish which resulted in open spaces.
Now the option i have is to get mat powder and mix with resin to make a paste and apply all around the ring to get a smooth tapered finish. Any suggestions please ?
Old 19th May 2011, 20:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

Didn't understand why you used the blue cloth at all! Not sure whether viscose will melt due to the cyanoacrylate (the cotton will act as a wick before that happens). Superglue doesn't work well with cloth (doesn't give a strong joint). Also, not sure why you wanted the vertical wood strips ('dowels') at all - the weight of the sub can be easily taken up by the FG shell without any significant bending.

The FG powder with resin you have thought about is the best solution for you now. Make sure you use slightly less catalyst so that the paste behaves like 'metal paste'. Force the paste into the voids. Put some excess paste all around where the MDF ring meets the box, and use a 1" round stick to make a smooth fillet.

Are you sure where the CG will be after you mount the sub? Shouldn't happen that the box tends to topple forward (towards the rear of the car) when you accelerate hard. There is no way you can use screws anywhere if you want a good sealed box. Perhaps some velcro strips on the bottom and back of the box will help.

Also, how do you plan to take out the wires from the sub, and how do you plan to seal that exit point?

Last edited by DerAlte : 19th May 2011 at 20:32.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 22:04   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte
Didn't understand why you used the blue cloth at all! Not sure whether viscose will melt due to the cyanoacrylate (the cotton will act as a wick before that happens). Superglue doesn't work well with cloth (doesn't give a strong joint). Also, not sure why you wanted the vertical wood strips ('dowels') at all - the weight of the sub can be easily taken up by the FG shell without any significant bending.

The FG powder with resin you have thought about is the best solution for you now. Make sure you use slightly less catalyst so that the paste behaves like 'metal paste'. Force the paste into the voids. Put some excess paste all around where the MDF ring meets the box, and use a 1" round stick to make a smooth fillet.

Are you sure where the CG will be after you mount the sub? Shouldn't happen that the box tends to topple forward (towards the rear of the car) when you accelerate hard. There is no way you can use screws anywhere if you want a good sealed box. Perhaps some velcro strips on the bottom and back of the box will help.

Also, how do you plan to take out the wires from the sub, and how do you plan to seal that exit point?
The bond with the superglue was fine, i tried pushing the cloth and it didnt come off at all. The dowels i put for the sub weight, i think i can still remove them, should i?

Will make the paste as mentioned.

The box does not tend to topple easily right now, but maybe after the sub is put, i was thinking of a velcro patch only on the botton and sides and for wires i thought of drilling a hole and connecting the same wire the amp and for sealing was thinkng of silicon or a fg patch only. Suggestions?
Old 19th May 2011, 22:15   #20
Senior - BHPian

First thing a fan is not required,if done properly it dries within 15-20minutes making it real hard.And one mistake you did my friend after putting the cloth tight for getting the shape you would have just coated the outer and made it full went drenched in resin.then let it a bit 30% dry making it very sticky and start applying the fibre from the inside of the box and then properly layering it for about 6-8coates.

Once its done sand it shape it,put the carpet and install..voila boom boom boom

ramie

Example:
DIY PICS : ANHC Fiberglass Subwoofer Box-img01893201101241414.jpg

DIY PICS : ANHC Fiberglass Subwoofer Box-img01895201101241647.jpg

DIY PICS : ANHC Fiberglass Subwoofer Box-img01896201101241716.jpg

DIY PICS : ANHC Fiberglass Subwoofer Box-img01898201101241824.jpg

DIY PICS : ANHC Fiberglass Subwoofer Box-img01903201101241836.jpg

DIY PICS : ANHC Fiberglass Subwoofer Box-img01919201101252250.jpg

Thanks.

Last edited by ramie2400 : 19th May 2011 at 22:22.
ramie2400 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 22:46   #21
BHPian

@ramie2400
Too late now for the cloth ..will keep it in mind for the 2nd sub box !
yes tomorrow starting with the paste all around the ring and then layering from center out, also towards the edges of the cloth should i put mat in such a way so it is half on front and half on sides for bonding on front part to the back mould or just till the edges is good enough ?
Old 20th May 2011, 09:32   #22
Senior - BHPian

Ah, now I understood why you put the cloth (from Ramie-paaji's pics).

Leave the 'dowels' in since you have already put them. Silicone should be good enough for sealing the hole, just make sure you put a decent quantity from the inside of the box after putting the wire.
Old 20th May 2011, 16:15   #23
BHPian

Any idea where i can get carpeting for the box ? in delhi..
thanks
Old 20th May 2011, 17:53   #24
Senior - BHPian

Kashmiri Gate area, or Karol Bagh. You can even buy it from your friendly neighborhood accessories shop, they might charge slightly more.
Old 20th May 2011, 18:38   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashshroff View Post
Any idea where i can get carpeting for the box ? in delhi..
thanks
Yashshroff & Ramie2400 Great work guys, you are an inspiration for all of us.

You can get a thin carpet for the box from any carpet shop nearby. I admire your clean install however I would suggest you to get the carpet installed from a Professional who makes wooden box. Where are you located in Delhi. I know a few, reply with your location & I will give you number for the nearest one.
Old 20th May 2011, 18:40   #26
BHPian

Its Done !! Thanks to all on the community for the help

Today started with putting the paste around the MDF rings and then started layering fg mat and putting a bit of it over the edges, initially was getting air bubbles, but then the mat has to be completely soaked in resin and then it sticks on the edges properly.
DIY PICS : ANHC Fiberglass Subwoofer Box-img2011052000116.jpg

One more mistake, should have removed the foil pieces from the back part, at least near the edges so the mat would go on properly, anyways its done now.
DIY PICS : ANHC Fiberglass Subwoofer Box-img2011052000117.jpg

Put close to a total of 6-7 layers on top, final layer put
DIY PICS : ANHC Fiberglass Subwoofer Box-img2011052000118.jpg

Finally sanded the ends and splinters then put a coat of resin mixed with hardener to smoothen it out.DIY PICS : ANHC Fiberglass Subwoofer Box-img2011052000119.jpg

Now tomorrow carpet installation, is spray adhesive the best way for a wrinkle free install or any other method ?

Last edited by yashshroff : 20th May 2011 at 18:41. Reason: typo
Old 21st May 2011, 16:34   #27
BHPian

Materials Used -
Fiberglass Resin (mixed with cobalt) - 14 Kg @ Rs.110/Kg
FG Mat - 6 Kg @ Rs.105/Kg
MEKP - 300ml @ Rs.100/liter
Rubber Gloves - 6 pairs @ Rs.15/pair
Waxpol - 1can @ Rs.90
Brushes - 8 pcs @ Rs.10/pc
Super Glue - 2 small bottles @ Rs.25/bottle
One Roll of 40meter 3" wide Cello and a little bit of foil
Acetone
Numerous cut bottles and cans
MDF Rings

I think thats about it !

Last edited by yashshroff : 21st May 2011 at 16:34. Reason: Typo
Old 21st May 2011, 17:23   #28
BHPian

One more thing, how can i check if the box is airtight or not ?
Can i try filling it with water or that will spoil the mdf ?
thanks
Old 21st May 2011, 18:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashshroff View Post
One more thing, how can i check if the box is airtight or not ?
Can i try filling it with water or that will spoil the mdf ?
thanks
Apply a thin layer of resin to cover all exposed MDF surfaces, and then fill it with water.
Bass&Trouble is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 19:11   #30
BHPian

The box is complete, now looking for a grill for the sub, was thinking of a 1/2inch acrylic sheet with cutouts for air flow in between and attached to the outer mdf ring on the box.
the sheet will have like a tyre alloy cutout design, and height will be 2 inches above surround cone, and for the 2" height was thinking of thinking of metal or aluminium tube with 3-4mm internal dia. Comments, suggestions.

Most Viewed