Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2011, 20:13   #1
BHPian

DIY : Making TFT headrest monitor

I had got a steal deal on driver side sunshade screens last year, did not install the screens as already had a touch screen in the dash. They were lying with me unused. I live next to my office & do not drive much in city, I usually go for long drives with family hence the need of rear screen was showing up. Decided making my own headrest monitor with the sunshade screen.

Skoda comes with four headrest's, I could play with two as I was not using two of them anyhow. I would let the pictures speak the rest.

Now just need to get the cloth stitched around the screen for an cleaner look.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY : Making TFT headrest monitor-sunshade1.jpg  

DIY : Making TFT headrest monitor-headrest1.jpg  

DIY : Making TFT headrest monitor-headrest2.jpg  

DIY : Making TFT headrest monitor-headrest3.jpg  

DIY : Making TFT headrest monitor-headrest4.jpg  

DIY : Making TFT headrest monitor-headrest5.jpg  

DIY : Making TFT headrest monitor-headrest6.jpg  

DIY : Making TFT headrest monitor-headrest7.jpg  

DIY : Making TFT headrest monitor-headrest8.jpg  

HarneetBarmy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2011, 13:00   #2
BHPian

Re: Making TFT headrest monitor.

Great Work Harneet !!
Just have a query regarding the heat built up in the screen due to being surrounded by foam all around. Is there a solution built in into the design that safeguard against excess heat?
Old 22nd May 2011, 10:55   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_maniac View Post
Great Work Harneet !!
Just have a query regarding the heat built up in the screen due to being surrounded by foam all around. Is there a solution built in into the design that safeguard against excess heat?
Thanks Jasvinder,
I am using packing foil behind monitor so that the heat wont touch the foam & is distributed all accross. I have tested these monitors for hours before installing them into the car, however the actual test will be if they can last this summer in the car.
Old 22nd May 2011, 12:42   #4
BHPian

Thats a neat DIY job, Harneet

Just a question on this: Could the screen visibility be an issue for people of different heights (as in kids and adults)?
If so, would a display tilt option act as the solution?
Old 22nd May 2011, 22:12   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchromesh View Post
Thats a neat DIY job, Harneet

Just a question on this: Could the screen visibility be an issue for people of different heights (as in kids and adults)?
If so, would a display tilt option act as the solution?
Thanks,
When I was planning to installed the screen, I had similar questions in mind. I visited a few importers & saw fixed headrest monitors. Kids would definately have issues with viewing such a screen.
The best thing in Skoda's headrest is that it could be tilted, hence the screen adjusts with the headrest. Which made this screen better than any headrest monitor avaiable. Did I mention these screen came with remotes so switching between video source is not an issue.

I hope this information is helpful to all.
Old 23rd May 2011, 10:17   #6
BHPian

Thats a neat DIY. Good job

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarneetBarmy View Post
The best thing in Skoda's headrest is that it could be tilted, hence the screen adjusts with the headrest.
Wont tilting headrest would become uncomfortable for the front passenger/driver?

So, if you can make the screen tilt, without tilting the headrest itself would be a good solution. Any chance of adding a small slider-like at the base of monitor?
Old 16th June 2015, 15:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Converting Video OUT to Video IN

A few years back I had installed one of those head rest dvd player with a mirror screen for the kids. Now the player has become obsolete and hardly plays the stuff the kids want to watch. While the mirror screen can be connected to other Video sources as it has a video in port the dvd player unit has only a video out port. Now is it possible that I ditch the dvd drive inside the player and us the player screen as a simple screen to play outside content?
If the video in feature can be incorporated than I still retain my twin head rest screens and play content from an external player. Theoretically it should be possible but where can it be done in Delhi/Kolkatta? Any leads and pointers will be very welcome.
Old 24th July 2015, 11:12   #8
BHPian

Re: DIY : Making TFT headrest monitor

Hi All,

Need advise. I'm in the market to buy a Headrest monitor. I did a lot of looking around but not able to fine a decent piece. While the market is flooded with Headrest monitors from megaaudio (http://www.megaaudio.in/madtr_929.html) to mapmyindia (http://www.mapmyindia.com/rear-seat-...st-monitor-901) however they don't play all formats.

I'm looking at a moitor which plays MKV and MP4 files and preferably 9" screen. If anyone is using or know of one, please share
Old 17th March 2016, 16:25   #9
BHPian

Hi Friends. Reviving this thread. I bought Megaaudio headrest monitor for my car. I tried playing video files of avi, mp4, mpg etc. Every time I play it, it says unsupported file format. But when I downloaded and converted a video to avi (480p) it shows that, "video resolution not supported". Can anybody pl advice the correct file format.
I have a long trip in next week. If i get the working file format that would keep the elders interested all the way by watching an old movie on it.

Most Viewed