Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2011, 14:30   #16
BHPian

Re: VW Vento: My Custom ICE

Note from Mod : ANY discussion on Alcohol is STRICTLY prohibited on this forum. Please read our rules before proceeding further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post
Hey Subodh, Many congratulations!!!! But you have left us all high and dry. Please let us know what brand HU it is? And how much did it cost? Also the cost of all the other components. Did you do any damping? Please give me contact of the dealer for that HU? I'm going to ICE my Polo this weekend and want to finalize soon.
@subodh/@swanand contact details please. Or as noopster suggested , will it actually take some pampering post work? Courtesy Subodh, this installer is going to have some good business. Well subodh you might as well get your next upgrade for free

Last edited by GTO : 25th May 2011 at 12:42. Reason: Removed alcohol reference.
ventolute is offline   Received Infraction
Old 24th May 2011, 14:47   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventolute View Post
Finally! The much awaited ICE from your car. It looks fantastic. The perfect flush fit, the giant touchscreen, the uncompromised OEM look, specially with the red back-lit buttons at night, the excellent UI(looks better than the Witson), its just a delight to look at .

This is not the Witson evidently. The buttons are different on the Witson. Though it looks exactly the same. The screen seems bigger here or is it just my perception?

1. Have you installed any GPS software and have you tested it? -GPS not yet installed. not looking forward to install as I have 4 cars in house and using mapmy India becomes convenient to switch from one car to another

2. Have you tested the IPOD and are you able to control album arts? Swanand answered this question for me
3. Does it pair seamlessly with the fone on bluetooth and does it read off the address book as well? It pairs seamlessly but unfortunately cant read the address book
4. Could you please share the details
a) cost : The HU comes in range of 30k
b) brand name : As told by dealer is Motivo (but could not find anything online regarding it)
c) most importantly the name of the dealer and the phone number/email id? PM me and i will give you the numbers. I have checked with him and hes willing to send the units out of pune if he has them in stock.
5. Do you think he would be able to procure it and send it across to another city?

Sorry I asked too many questions, but looking at the work of art in your car, I am hell bent on getting one for mine too and I cant contain the excitement.
I am used to being asked a lot of questions. You can ask Swanand aka Mr. QM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
@Ventolute has said everything I wanted to say. So just copied his words. And add "congratulations"

Hey need to check this out in person sometime. Dont be too surprised if you see a familiar face waiting infront of your apartment soon!!

One thought struck me, installing components at the rear is very rare. How do you feel that it has helped in enhancing the audio quality.
Thanks Mr. Dot and i would gladly be waiting for you to showup in front of my house. IN regards to installation of components at rear, the problem with vento is, its not compatible with oval speakers. Originally it comes with door speakers which suck, and the back panel is not compatible to put any speakers on it. So the last option remaining for good sound quality is components. The sound quality from these components is phenomenal but still lacks the punch which would be complete with addition of subwoofer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Thanks @subodh- it looks fab. Is there anything you particularly like or dislike about the HU? Admittedly it looks the most OEM of all the ones we've seen so far in Ventos on TBHP.

@ventolute- not so fast, mate! To elicit all those details from subodh you need to meet him after work someday, spend some quality time, treat him to some chilled beverages etc. Then he may start sharing some details . Just getting him to post this thread was like pulling teeth
Noopster and swanand had a big role to play in me putting up this review. Noop chilled beverages are welcome anytime. When do we get together for the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsonu View Post
@subodh Hi!! congratulations for the new stereo. It looks really good and i am sure it sounds awesome as well.

I own a skoda laura ambiente and even though the sound quality of the stereo is very good but the display unit is very simple. So if you can share the details of your installer it would be awesome as volkswagen supplies most of the skoda parts..
Hey varun If your car has reverse sensors installed and with the display in the HU, then i would suggest dont change the HU. This system will fit perfectly in the Skoda as they are the same shape and size. PM me and i can give you details of the dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
1. As far as I know, he is yet to install GPS. On the lookout of one though.
2. Had tried my wife's iPhone in it once, albiet for a short time, works like a charm.
3. Fone connectivity is seamless and sound quality is superb. Since Subodh's work makes him travel quite a lot (and I mean QUITE A LOT), most of the times he talks to us through the Bluetooth connectivity. Being on the other side of the call, I can vouch that the quality is as good as speaking on the phone itself.
5. I do know the dealer as well, and can say that he would have no issues in sending it to another city as well.

Varunsonu, even I have the same car (Skoda Laura Ambiente) and face the same issue that you do. The HU is something even I am on the lookout for. Basically i need something like the one in Laura L&K. I have checked with the dealer and he did mention, that he could do something on this. To be honest, havent really got time to go back to him and check on this. Shall update you as i get some details.

@Subodh: Sorry for taking over this thread and answering questions on your behalf. Its just that i log on more than you do (read as I have more spare time than you ), and I was present at the time of installation (Hence took the liberty).
Thanks swanand for taking over and answering most of the questions

Quote:
Hi Swanand. Thank you for replying to my questions. Subodh had mentioned earlier that work keeps him totally occupied and he hardly finds time. So , I am glad that you can take over as you were present right there.
Could you also share with us
1) Cost of the Hu install
2) Brand
3) Details of the installer(name/fone/email) .
It would be of immense help to a lot of us here .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post
Hey Subodh, Many congratulations!!!! But you have left us all high and dry. Please let us know what brand HU it is? And how much did it cost? Also the cost of all the other components. Did you do any damping? Please give me contact of the dealer for that HU? I'm going to ICE my Polo this weekend and want to finalize soon.
That is one thing i missed out on frontosa: Damping. I think it is very important to get it done. I have spoken to the dealer about damping and he agreed that although he has never done damping in cars before, he should start doing it for cars which have high quality sound system to get maximum impact. The total cost should work out to around 70k With the HU, Components and AMP. I do not remember the exact breakup but can get it from him shortly

Last edited by subodh : 24th May 2011 at 14:50.
subodh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2011, 14:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subodh View Post
I am used to being asked a lot of questions. You can ask Swanand aka Mr. QM
Not here at least . Let somethings remain hidden will you.

Also, please share the contact details for the dealer. I have misplaced his number (Sorry for not replying to your posts - Ventolute and Frontosa). For the sake of others too. I do not think that would be a problem.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2011, 15:24   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subodh View Post

Noopster and swanand had a big role to play in me putting up this review. Noop chilled beverages are welcome anytime. When do we get together for the same?
You're welcome. Swanand and I may get together one of these days after work, but you are travelling all the time so don't blame me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Also, please share the contact details for the dealer. I have misplaced his number (Sorry for not replying to your posts - Ventolute and Frontosa). For the sake of others too. I do not think that would be a problem.
I think it's Bhandari Auto. This seems to be the website with contact details.
Subodh has a personal contact there that you may want to leverage- PM him and all the best
Old 24th May 2011, 15:29   #20
BHPian

Hey First of all thank you guys. This brand "Motevo" , I faintly remember having read somewhere. Someone had researched on it. I am unsure but I think it was chetanBG.It seems to have a similar drawback as the Witson(unable to read address book) . But as they say -No pain ,no gain ! At this price,I guess compromises can be made on that front.

As for the weblink of Motevo this is probably it
Motevo | All-in-1 In-dash Double Din Multimedia Navigation System
and this seems to be the VW specific one
Motevo | Products | Current Product Range

So it seems like it is actually Witson's brother from China!
Old 24th May 2011, 15:44   #21
BHPian

@swanand hey!! the HU in L & k is columbus navigation system and it is way out of my reach as it is costing around 120k.. here's the link..
Skoda UK Skoda 'Columbus' Sat Nav System - AAN800001

But i am targeting for skoda bolero or the one subodh installed if it can be fitted in laura without any adjustments as i have noticed that it has round egdes wheres skodas are more pointed type... link..
Skoda UK Skoda Bolero Radio/CD Unit - 1Z0035156F
it has mostly everything accept navigation.

@subodh
hey!! as i am a newbie here i don't have PM privileges so if you can mail (varunsonu@gmail.com) me the details of you supplier i would be greatfull..

thanks
varunsonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2011, 15:50   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
You're welcome. Swanand and I may get together one of these days after work, but you are travelling all the time so don't blame me

I think it's Bhandari Auto. This seems to be the website with contact details.
Subodh has a personal contact there that you may want to leverage- PM him and all the best
I am not traveling for this week. Even if i Do, i will go to mumbai and be back. So count me in.

Quote:
Hey First of all thank you guys. This brand "Motevo" , I faintly remember having read somewhere. Someone had researched on it. I am unsure but I think it was chetanBG.It seems to have a similar drawback as the Witson(unable to read address book) . But as they say -No pain ,no gain ! At this price,I guess compromises can be made on that front.

As for the weblink of Motevo this is probably it
Motevo | All-in-1 In-dash Double Din Multimedia Navigation System
and this seems to be the VW specific one
Motevo | Products | Current Product Range

So it seems like it is actually Witson's brother from China!
Yeah so does it seems.

The dealer is Bhandari Auto on JM road in Pune.
Contact person is Sachin Bhandari and his number is +919822097547. You guys are welcome to give my reference. Have spoken to him already and he will workout the best deal. Cheers!!
Old 24th May 2011, 16:33   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsonu View Post
@swanand hey!! the HU in L & k is columbus navigation system and it is way out of my reach as it is costing around 120k.. here's the link..
Skoda UK Skoda 'Columbus' Sat Nav System - AAN800001

But i am targeting for skoda bolero or the one subodh installed if it can be fitted in laura without any adjustments as i have noticed that it has round egdes wheres skodas are more pointed type... link..
Skoda UK Skoda Bolero Radio/CD Unit - 1Z0035156F
it has mostly everything accept navigation.

@subodh
hey!! as i am a newbie here i don't have PM privileges so if you can mail (varunsonu@gmail.com) me the details of you supplier i would be greatfull..

thanks

120K . Man, what is Skoda thinking? I could get another vehicle in that price~ . The Bolero one looks better.
Also, the one that Subodh has, should fit in the Laura as well. If not, he has another product similar to that of Subodh's. Shall check it and update you.
Old 24th May 2011, 16:47   #24
BHPian

This is awesome.!
Seriously, OEM makers should consider products like these on offers or atleast appoint vendors who can provide this at a dealership level atleast.
Any power inlet mods?
Old 24th May 2011, 17:03   #25
BHPian

@swanand skoda guys are seriously out there mind selling it at such a price.. most of the guys in UK buy a used piece for half the price from ebay(got to know that from briskoda.net). i can get a bolero but still researching for the coding required as a relative of mine can bring it for me but its totally up to me to install it and the coding can get pretty complex and since i dont have the vag-com cable i have all the theoretical knowledge but no practical experience.

thanks to subodh, i have had a chat with sachin already and he is going to send me pictures of the HU. will keep you updated
Old 24th May 2011, 20:28   #26
Team-BHP Support

No references to alcohol.

Note from Support: Guys, please refrain from continued references to alcohol in this thread. Thanks!
Old 24th May 2011, 21:14   #27
BHPian

Just read this thread and I have a couple of questions.

Firstly, all these brands are completely unheard of and seem to be pretty expensive as such, esp the HU.

Secondly, unless the car is chauffeur driven, components in the rear are pretty pointless and an unnecessary expense. If the setup is tuned right, the stock speakers in the rear should more than suffice as rear fill. They certainly aren't going to add anything to either imaging or sound stage.

I also fail to understand the use of "custom ICE" in the heading of the post, since all equipment used is absolutely standard in terms of size, etc., nothing custom as far as I can see.

70K for such unknown equipment, that too without damping, a mono or a sub seem pretty excessive to me. Also, what cables were used?

I don't want to be a spoilsport on the thread, but I have seen and heard some amazing custom installs. I'm looking forward to an audition at the meet.

Anyway as long as you're satisfied, nothing really matters
vikram18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2011, 22:10   #28
BHPian

A couple of more questions if you don't mind

1. Does this HU have time alignment?

2. What is the amplifier rated at?
Old 24th May 2011, 22:28   #29
BHPian

Lovely HU you have there, Congratulations

A few questions on the GPS:

How is the GPS in your opinion?
Did it come preloaded with India maps?
Does the India map cover all Indian cities?

BTW it is available at onlinecarstereo for $600
OEM Fit In-Dash Car Navigation Systems - OEM Navigation Systems at OnlineCarStereo.com - Brand | Motevo
Old 24th May 2011, 22:51   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

@bharatbs- the link you posted is not the same HU as the one that subodh has. There are 2 models launched recently for OEM fit of the Polo (Vento) and subodh's Motevo is one of them. There is a similar Caska HU too whic is slightly more expensive but has marginally better look and feel. I am choosing between the two for now.

Caska and Motevo are Chinese brands that make OEM-fit pieces for almost every popular car model as well as some universal-fit pieces that can be slotted into place using a custom frame. The latter option was what was available till a couple of months ago- i's nice that there are custom options as well now.

The India MRP for the Caska piece is 48K and the Motevo is 43K. With dealer discounts of 10-15%, you can do the math. Toss in a little extra for the reverse camera and an upgrade to mapmyindia maps, should cost you about 40-45K OTR. @subodh has not opted for GPS, incidentally.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks