Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2011, 00:07   #31
BHPian

Re: VW Vento: My Custom ICE

Sorry for the oversight mods. It just was nt supposed to be here.

@ noops you have detailed it very well. So eventually you are deciding between the Caska and the motevo. I have contacted sachin as well. Lets see what he can do about it for me.
If you are going for the caska, I think I'd like to wait and watch. As the Vento has already blown a hole in my pocket, I need to be sure, I am spending the yet unavailable money on something good.
Old 25th May 2011, 08:09   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
Just read this thread and I have a couple of questions.

Firstly, all these brands are completely unheard of and seem to be pretty expensive as such, esp the HU. True vikram that this brand is unheard of. But what matters at the end of the day is the product and not the brand. Talking about expensive, being expensive is very relative and individual. I would agree that it costs more but then given the list of features, at the end of the day i think its not that bad. Plus given the options available, i should say I am lucky to have USB and IPOD connection and phone connectivity all in one HU.

Secondly, unless the car is chauffeur driven, components in the rear are pretty pointless and an unnecessary expense. If the setup is tuned right, the stock speakers in the rear should more than suffice as rear fill. They certainly aren't going to add anything to either imaging or sound stage.

I do have a chauffer at times. Would you have cared to ask? Secondly in terms of sound quaity, since I was not going for a sub-woofer, replacing the rear speakers with something which would give better base effect was my agenda. As i already mentioned, any other speakers at the rear was not an option. As for stock speakers being sufficient, I am sure you have seen the stocks on vento, but would still suggest you to check out the output as after addition of amp and components at front, stock rear would definitely not stand a chance if at all i feel like listening to some heavy stuff at high volumes.

I also fail to understand the use of "custom ICE" in the heading of the post, since all equipment used is absolutely standard in terms of size, etc., nothing custom as far as I can see. Custom in this title mainly refered to the HU which is customized for VW cars with the VW logo when you start the system.

70K for such unknown equipment, that too without damping, a mono or a sub seem pretty excessive to me. Also, what cables were used? I think I have tried to answer this question above

I don't want to be a spoilsport on the thread, but I have seen and heard some amazing custom installs. I'm looking forward to an audition at the meet. I am sure you must have seen better custom installs and it was never a claim to be the best. This was the best I could do in the time and budget that was available with me. This review was mainly written for people who were looking for options for Vento HU as there are very few available and to give a look and feel of what I have installed.

Anyway as long as you're satisfied, nothing really matters I am satisfied
I will make sure to involve you next time when I am going in for "custom" ICE setup to get the best out of it since you seem like a knowledgeable person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventolute View Post
Sorry for the oversight mods. It just was nt supposed to be here.

@ noops you have detailed it very well. So eventually you are deciding between the Caska and the motevo. I have contacted sachin as well. Lets see what he can do about it for me.
If you are going for the caska, I think I'd like to wait and watch. As the Vento has already blown a hole in my pocket, I need to be sure, I am spending the yet unavailable money on something good.
I agree Ventolute. Noopster do let me know when you decide between the two. Would definitely like to checkout the caska system. I shall speak to sachin today and see what best discounts he can offer for Team-BHP members

Last edited by subodh : 25th May 2011 at 08:15.
subodh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2011, 15:48   #33
BHPian

Thanks for the reply Subodh. Since we'll be meeting on Friday, I can ask you my queries in person, rather than wasting server space here. Do feel free to check out my ICE pics in my T-Bhp garage
Old 25th May 2011, 22:22   #34
BHPian

Looking forward to checking out your setup Subodh. Have been eagerly waiting for my Vento, god alone knows when it will come but whenever it does, will be going for an ICE upgrade so maybe I can get a few ideas from your setup.
Amey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 11:25   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
@bharatbs- the link you posted is not the same HU as the one that subodh has. There are 2 models launched recently for OEM fit of the Polo (Vento) and subodh's Motevo is one of them. There is a similar Caska HU too whic is slightly more expensive but has marginally better look and feel. I am choosing between the two for now.

Caska and Motevo are Chinese brands that make OEM-fit pieces for almost every popular car model as well as some universal-fit pieces that can be slotted into place using a custom frame. The latter option was what was available till a couple of months ago- i's nice that there are custom options as well now.

The India MRP for the Caska piece is 48K and the Motevo is 43K. With dealer discounts of 10-15%, you can do the math. Toss in a little extra for the reverse camera and an upgrade to mapmyindia maps, should cost you about 40-45K OTR. @subodh has not opted for GPS, incidentally.

Just to add to that, when i was looking for a HU for my Polo, I did come across these names. Caska, Audiovision, motevo, Witson are all chinese companies who make OEM fit HU for many automakers. I think the trick is to get hold of the best quality manufacturer!
The look, feel, features and surprisingly the bugs are almost the same among them all. Like both in case of my Witson and Motevo, the phonebook function is very slow, almost unusable!
I think that anything above 40k for these systems is a bit too much. I honestly took it if i were to spend 40k on a HU i would rather go for those fancy touchscreen HU from pioneer, Kenwood, etc. Also the fact that all the HU from these chinese manufacturers sell for half the price in China and on ebay! Spending an extra 20k just for the after sales support is a lot to be frank!

Just to give you an idea about my ICE setup:-
Witson HU + reverse cam+ GPS+ shipping + duty = 22k
Rainbow slx265 deluxe front components = 10k
Kenwood KAc 845 4ch Amp = 6k
ID12v3 Sub + Box = 12k
Wiring= 5k

All of it adds upto 55K!

Well this is just my opinion though! As long as the the HU is working to your expectations be it Witson Moteveo, Pioneer, etc...one should just enjoy the music and drive!
AnkitPrashar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 15:00   #36
BHPian

+1 to that @ankitprasher

I have done some research and found out that a skoda original columbas which is fitted in L&K variant is available from ebay UK for something around 45K which is a used one and if you add additional expenses it may come out to be 50k which is a way better deal(for me) than getting a motevo for some 40k bucks. you will have to do a lot of research about gateways and VCDS programming but that is worth it IMO. Just my opinion.
Old 30th May 2011, 16:03   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkitPrashar View Post
Just to add to that, when i was looking for a HU for my Polo, I did come across these names. Caska, Audiovision, motevo, Witson are all chinese companies who make OEM fit HU for many automakers. I think the trick is to get hold of the best quality manufacturer!
The look, feel, features and surprisingly the bugs are almost the same among them all. Like both in case of my Witson and Motevo, the phonebook function is very slow, almost unusable!
I think that anything above 40k for these systems is a bit too much. I honestly took it if i were to spend 40k on a HU i would rather go for those fancy touchscreen HU from pioneer, Kenwood, etc. Also the fact that all the HU from these chinese manufacturers sell for half the price in China and on ebay! Spending an extra 20k just for the after sales support is a lot to be frank!

Just to give you an idea about my ICE setup:-
Witson HU + reverse cam+ GPS+ shipping + duty = 22k
Rainbow slx265 deluxe front components = 10k
Kenwood KAc 845 4ch Amp = 6k
ID12v3 Sub + Box = 12k
Wiring= 5k

All of it adds upto 55K!

Well this is just my opinion though! As long as the the HU is working to your expectations be it Witson Moteveo, Pioneer, etc...one should just enjoy the music and drive!
well said Ankit. Although I would have loved to do the research and get a system, it was very convenient to just go to shop and get it fitted within couple of hours. I also had doubts regarding the Installation as I did not want to go to any other guy than the one i trust for installation.
Old 11th July 2011, 19:48   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey subodh,

I am very impressed by the installation carried out in your car. Since I am looking at a new upgrade, with majority of the choices being VW cars, I was very eager to upgrade the HU to a nice touchscreen system with all the features. Yours and Ankit Prashar both have chosen excellent looking systems.
Hope you don't mind me asking a few further questions:
- Does this system come with a bill and warranty? And how long is the warranty valid for?
- To activate GPS in the HU, how much extra would it cost? Let's assume I already have a SD card with map my india maps. Is the GPS antenna built into the system, or does it come with it standard? Or is this an optional accessory (the signal reception device).
- Would it be significantly cheaper if bought from China? Would I lose out on the HU warranty if used in another country?

Hope you can answer these questions, as if I do decide on a Polo/Vento, a HU with all these features and some nice speakers would really complete the car!
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 16:17   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Hey subodh,

I am very impressed by the installation carried out in your car. Since I am looking at a new upgrade, with majority of the choices being VW cars, I was very eager to upgrade the HU to a nice touchscreen system with all the features. Yours and Ankit Prashar both have chosen excellent looking systems.
Hope you don't mind me asking a few further questions:
- Does this system come with a bill and warranty? And how long is the warranty valid for?
- To activate GPS in the HU, how much extra would it cost? Let's assume I already have a SD card with map my india maps. Is the GPS antenna built into the system, or does it come with it standard? Or is this an optional accessory (the signal reception device).
- Would it be significantly cheaper if bought from China? Would I lose out on the HU warranty if used in another country?

Hope you can answer these questions, as if I do decide on a Polo/Vento, a HU with all these features and some nice speakers would really complete the car!
Hey lambo, Sorry for the late reply. This system does come with a bill and warranty and the warranty is valid for a period of 1 year.

The GPS needs an antenna which is external which needs to be put on the receiver but I am not too sure. If you are around, We can Catch up and try it out in my system. But as far as i can remember, there is a receiver which needs to be installed on the front windshield but not sure if that is the booster of the antenna itself.

No idea about prices of the HU in CHina buddy. But the warranty surely would be void if you buy this in china and get it here. The service center guys wont be willing to service your HU if its not bought from them as the amrgins are anyways very low.

Hope was able to answer all your questions.
Old 30th September 2011, 20:27   #40
BHPian

HI,from where have u sourced your Head-Unit and IDV3??

Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 00:08   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Venom View Post
HI,from where have u sourced your Head-Unit and IDV3??

Thanks
From a Accessories shop in Pune called bhandari automobile. He is official dealer for this company.
Old 10th October 2011, 10:03   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Interesting fact. What all accessories does he keep? And how's the prices coming to - inflated or decent deal(s)?

It's about time I tore the plastic covers & put some covers + sun film.

And last but not the least, contact details please.
Old 22nd December 2011, 08:09   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli
^^ Interesting fact. What all accessories does he keep? And how's the prices coming to - inflated or decent deal(s)?

It's about time I tore the plastic covers & put some covers + sun film.

And last but not the least, contact details please.
Ninja, what all accessories do you need? Lemme know and I will get the pricing for you. I know it's an old post but still I can check if you need anything. Have you changed your seat covers? I am planning to go for leather Stanley in my car.

On a different note, I got my car serviced three days back and got a feedback that installation of new music systems in the car does not void the warranty as long as no wire has been cut. The logic behind this is that when a wire is cut, it gives a error code when the car is hooked up to the computer. If its a major error, then warranty gets void
Old 22nd December 2011, 09:41   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subodh View Post
Ninja, what all accessories do you need? Lemme know and I will get the pricing for you. I know it's an old post but still I can check if you need anything. Have you changed your seat covers? I am planning to go for leather Stanley in my car.

On a different note, I got my car serviced three days back and got a feedback that installation of new music systems in the car does not void the warranty as long as no wire has been cut. The logic behind this is that when a wire is cut, it gives a error code when the car is hooked up to the computer. If its a major error, then warranty gets void
A bit late but still thanks.

I was looking at sun film + seat covers + underbody coating + inverter. Three of the above already done, was told by the 3M guy that the vento already has an underbody cover, and doesn't need the 3M coating.

However will get back to you for any further upgrades. After looking at Nilesh's work with the speakers upgrade, I'm quite smitten by it. Might do it in the first quarter of 2012.
Old 22nd December 2011, 09:49   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli
A bit late but still thanks.

I was looking at sun film + seat covers + underbody coating + inverter. Three of the above already done, was told by the 3M guy that the vento already has an underbody cover, and doesn't need the 3M coating.

However will get back to you for any further upgrades. After looking at Nilesh's work with the speakers upgrade, I'm quite smitten by it. Might do it in the first quarter of 2012.
Yeah the speakers in this car sucks and since there are no warranty issues, you can definitely go for a change. I had installed a sub woofer some time back. I was not too sure if I wanted to sub in the car but the guy said try it for couple of days and if u don't like it, get it back. Fortunately for me on the third day, the woofer developed some problem and I decided not to replace it. But now I am again getting an urge to install it. Any recommendations ?

Most Viewed