Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2011, 19:10   #1
BHPian

Speaker confusion.

Hi

I booked a Safari GX and will be taking delivery in 3 weeks. I wanted to change the stock speakers. Which would you suggest.

Seen a Safari by jkdas with DLS. How good are they and how much do they cost ? How good are Focal or Morel compared to them ? Do they Fall in the same price range?

Regarding the rear speakers would it be a gud option to go in with same components or anything different.

Would adding an amp to the set-up make it any better.

Also, I would like to know if there are any good installers other than Emperor in Ernakulam. I been a regular there with all my vehicles and want a change this time with some one who will be rather more reasonable. Is Galaxy any better ?
Old 28th May 2011, 19:47   #2
BHPian

Re: Speaker confusion.

hey!! i don't have much knowledge in this area but from my experience go for component in front only and get oval speakers at the back because component speakers are just to give support to the sound mainly in the vocal area.

I bought JBL component speakers with tweeters and crossover for Rs 6k thinking that with an amplifier and a pioneer stereo i would get good sound but to my surprise music didn't have bass at all. and when i increased the bass from settings the sound was disrupted. then i installed sony Xpold oval speakers and connected them to the amplifiers as well. Now i feel as if i have a 12" woofer installed and i get a very good surround as well.
Old 28th May 2011, 20:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobinjv View Post
... Seen a Safari by jkdas with DLS. How good are they and how much do they cost ? ...
Why don't you get together with @jkdas sometime and listen to his system (I am sure JK would be very happy to guide you) instead of speculating? And, please don't put 6x9 in a Safari - use good round coaxes in the rear doors. Plan judiciously, and you will be able to afford an amp and a sub. Trust your ears only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsonu View Post
... my experience go for component in front only and get oval speakers at the back because component speakers are just to give support to the sound mainly in the vocal area. ...
* Oval speakers in a Safari? Better not - put in a sub if you can.
* Component speakers: no, they do more than giving better vocals. Component speakers give a better all-round frequency coverage than co-axials, giving a better overall listening experience
* Sony ovals better than JBL? LOL Poor you, someone must have pulled a fast one on you! Simple - if the JBL's were connected out of phase (most bad installers have no clue of phase - they are happy as long as some sound is coming out), the bass will cancel out and the Sony ovals will sound great comparatively mounted by someone who knows the concept of phase!!!

Last edited by DerAlte : 28th May 2011 at 20:27.
Old 28th May 2011, 20:27   #4
BHPian

I would like to keep the settings as stock as possible. So would like the rear ones fixed on the stock places than going for 6x9.

Presently on my Santro I have a Hertz 6.5" Components up front and Hertz 6x9 ovals on tray. I enjoyed the setup but I would like something a level higher now.
Old 28th May 2011, 20:32   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Why don't you get together with @jkdas sometime and listen to his system (I am sure JK would be very happy to guide you) instead of speculating? And, please don't put 6x9 in a Safari - use good round coaxes in the rear doors. Plan judiciously, and you will be able to afford an amp and a sub. Trust your ears only.
I presently stay in Saudi and doubt having time. But I had the idea and wanted to ask jk but I doubt the idea being fulfiled.

For sure I don plan on 6x9.

Btwn are RF amps higher on price ? What good alternatives can I have ?
Old 28th May 2011, 20:40   #6
BHPian

@delalte can you please guide to a thread where i can read more about phase and all because as i said earlier i have very little or no knowledge about all this and i can state only what i have experienced. My installation was done by a mechanic at a local shop so maybe he messed up but the speakers are original i can vouch for that.

also just to clarify if we compare a 6" JBL component and an regular oval sony Xpold speaker, which one can offer more base?
Old 28th May 2011, 21:00   #7
BHPian

Quote:
also just to clarify if we compare a 6" JBL component and an regular oval sony Xpold speaker, which one can offer more base?
I believe Components definitely.
Old 28th May 2011, 21:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I presently stay in Saudi and doubt having time ...
Be patient - you can always put in ICE later when you are back. Meanwhile you can PM him about prices and installers. I doubt if prices are less in Saudi, so better buy locally when you are back.

RF amps are generally costlier than other amps of comparable output quality, unless you get an unbeatable deal somewhere. The alternatives are DLS, Infinity, etc.

Quote:
... My installation was done by a mechanic at a local shop so maybe he messed up but the speakers are original i can vouch for that.

I don't remember a thread on the subject, but search anyhow. Bass cancellation happens when the peak from one speaker is at the same time as the trough of the other. Speakers have an indication of + and - (either by a red dot or by a + mark, or by one pin being narrower than the other). The HU or Amp side connector has a corresponding + mark. The installer has to make sure that the wires are connected + to +.

No, one cannot compare sound from components to that from a 6x9 coaxial. Not just JBL v/s Sony, between speakers of any brand. Ovals have a larger radiating area than round speakers. A 6x9 would have roughly the same radiation area of a 8" mid-bass, and comparing the same with the usual 6.5" components which has a smaller area than an 8" one is incorrect. Bass output is directly proportional to the radiating area of the speaker - more bass needs more air to be pushed.
Old 29th May 2011, 01:24   #9
BHPian

okk. so now i understand that its not a matter of brand (which i wasn't comparing) but the size of the speaker. a 6" component cannot be compared with a 6x9 oval but a 8" component is the right contender.
as i said my info was incomplete, as i already said i didn't have much knowledge, i just knew what i have actually heard. So if you are looking for good sound just from the component speakers then one should go for atleast 8" component or oval speakers because unless my mechanic messed up the fitting, the quality of 6" components alone is not good at all..

thanks for all the info. i will definitely get my fitting checked..
Old 29th May 2011, 19:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

It is a matter of brand too - different brands produce slightly different signatures. Some sound shrill or bright, some rather neutral.

One need not go for 8" components (they are quite rare, and mounting them in most cars is difficult) - a good pair of 6.5" components will make decent bass, though not as good as a 6x9, definitely not that from a sub.
Old 29th May 2011, 20:53   #11
BHPian

I shortlisted Focal Access 165 A1, Morel Tempo 6, DLS C6A based on reviews and waiting for a audition when I reach home. Are there any other that I should be looking into.

What options for rears. Any amps to fit the setup ?

Considering HU are Blaupunkt better than Pioneer ? Or there is nothing so to differentiate HUs.
Old 29th May 2011, 22:44   #12
BANNED

Try Focal polyglass 165vb in lieu of Access A1, polyglass is a lot better, smoother. Tempo 6 is more laidback compared to focal, consider rainbow slx too its in te same price range. Access might make you hate focal
Old 30th May 2011, 11:38   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Try Focal polyglass 165vb in lieu of Access A1, polyglass is a lot better, smoother. Tempo 6 is more laidback compared to focal, consider rainbow slx too its in te same price range. Access might make you hate focal
But what is the price range is the question :P.

Between would you recommend any other installer/supplier than Emperor. Reasonable yet professional.
Old 30th May 2011, 13:02   #14
BANNED

Quote:
But what is the price range is the question :P.

Between would you recommend any other installer/supplier than Emperor. Reasonable yet professional.
Polyglass - 12k to 13k
Tempo 6 - 9k to 12k
Rainbow entry level range comes within this range.
You can also try Galaxy, Cochin and Parijath Kollam and Trivandrum for sourcing. Morel Tempo 6 and Focal Solid 4 amp prices were lower at Parijath last time we checked which is around 2 months back. I have no idea regarding their installation expertise.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 13:11   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Polyglass - 12k to 13k
Tempo 6 - 9k to 12k
Rainbow entry level range comes within this range.
You can also try Galaxy, Cochin and Parijath Kollam and Trivandrum for sourcing. Morel Tempo 6 and Focal Solid 4 amp prices were lower at Parijath last time we checked which is around 2 months back. I have no idea regarding their installation expertise.
Thanks for that Sankar

How good are Rainbow SLX265 Deluxe compared to the ones mentioned above ?

I saw some threads on Galaxy. Are they on par with works done by Emperor.

Most Viewed