Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2006, 16:57   #16
BHPian

The steel wheels are not prone to bending because of the higher aspect ration (thicker sidewall) when you need to put bigger size tyre no ways the steel rim can stay on without bending as there is no fat sidewall to protect it anymore

It is not the fuel economy i am talking about its the steering feel which gets improved because of low mass. At the end of the day the biggest communication between you and your car (besides pedal and gear shift) gets better.

And also the alloys plays a major role in a cars character. Thats why you will still turn your head to see an RS going by than normal skoda.
Old 2nd February 2006, 17:13   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Now our ICE gurus are talking about FE , alloys , handling , suspension and all on a ICE thread .. Poor sam will have a heart attack , always kept saying no engine vengine and here we are nearly getting to that .. Good going navin and JB .. However JBs points surely do make sense ..
Old 2nd February 2006, 18:39   #18
Team-BHP Support

And mcl (and lot of us) are sure enjoying it a lot... no doubt

But seriously speaking Navin I think everyone has his or her perspective. When you say that the difference between a good audio system and a mediocre one is as clear as the difference between day and night it is your perspective. One where you can talk about highs, lows and mids even in your dreams. You dabble with these systems day in day out. On the other hand another guy (many others in fact) just listens to the audio when he is stuck in a jam. He never experiments with sound, never gets to basically. He never had a chance to listen to two systems side by side and decipher. So he has his perspective when he says I do not know why ppl spend so much on high end systems.

And finally, because people like Navin are there that others like us manage to run to them when we need advice. Because to many of us probably these things make zilch of a sense

Last edited by Zappo : 2nd February 2006 at 18:44.
Old 3rd February 2006, 01:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

Having your cake and eating it too...

OK... I'm an ICE'er... a hardcore one at that. sometimes I look forward to a traffic jam just for the opportunity to kick back and listen to that new CD.

But... I am also a driving enthusiast. The first thing I do when we buy a car is put Michelins on it and if its for me, get nice wheels. Trust me... Its oh so important when you're the type who does roundabouts and curves at 100+kmph. But more importantly, even if you arent that type, that extra grip, control and predictability can mean the difference between life and death.

So I have both... a high-end SQ ICE system AND nice wheels, tyres.
Old 3rd February 2006, 05:13   #20
BHPian

Heh - I've derailed this thread i think....

Well - Not saying that buying an expensive brand is a waste - to be honest - at low to mid volumes , most 4 speaker systems seem the same to me - at higher volumes you can definitely tell the difference in clarity - having a seperate amp with tweeters and a subwoofer - well it sounds great but for me is overkill.
I'd wouldn't haveing them but with a limited amount of moolah, somewhere the budget gets cut :-)

Yup Sam - its all about perception and also priorities....Some people like their ICE to be top notch - but for me the basics are enough - though i wish my system had a line in - have to use an itrip with my ipod and sometimes the reception aint that good.
As for alloys - well most of the ones available here and are affordable dont offer any significant weight reduction or strength increase - it's mainly about the looks...

And yes, the japanese have gone a bit overboard with lights annd leds.

I'd prefer a simple system which gives you the required information on the screen rather AND good sound over one which wants to be a psychedelic delight...

cheers

zaphod

Last edited by zaphod : 3rd February 2006 at 05:14.
Old 3rd February 2006, 09:23   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile
The steel wheels are not prone to bending because of the higher aspect ration (thicker sidewall) when you need to put bigger size tyre no ways the steel rim can stay on without bending as there is no fat sidewall to protect it anymore...

And also the alloys plays a major role in a cars character. Thats why you will still turn your head to see an RS going by than normal skoda.
I dont know jack about wheels. I just got the biggest wheels the dealer was offering (for the Sail the Alloys were an option but the Swift and RS came with them). Given the speeds I am exposed to (I dont drive 8am - 8pm) I did wonder if those alloy wheels would make a performance difference but figured what the heck.

Hey how come no one bothers to look at my RS? Maybe JB/Gun, Dominic, Autopsyche and psycho should mod it! :-)
Old 3rd February 2006, 09:24   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
Poor sam will have a heart attack ..
Sam? who's Sam? Where's Sam? :-) poor guy's been busy. It's a hard life.
Old 3rd February 2006, 09:27   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
OK... I'm an ICE'er... a hardcore one at that. sometimes I look forward to a traffic jam just for the opportunity to kick back and listen to that new CD.

So I have both... a high-end SQ ICE system AND nice wheels, tyres.
Funny at my previous job i used to be 8 minutes from work and hated it as I could not listen to more than 3 songs. Now I am 45 min from work and can listen to a full album (if only on my HD580). I come from the old school. We listen to albums not playlists.

Gun, you are one of a lucky few (ICE + wheels).

Last edited by navin : 3rd February 2006 at 09:32.
Old 3rd February 2006, 10:52   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Hey how come no one bothers to look at my RS? Maybe JB/Gun, Dominic, Autopsyche and psycho should mod it! :-)
AAAhhhaaa .. Yes navin , if u do want to get alloys,tyres and stuff for any car of urs pls do ask JB .. He has an excellent choice when it comes to choosing visual looks for the car .. U know like alloys , tyres , spoilers etc etc ..

However for performance mods , maybe autopsyche and psycho (official dealers for pete's tuning boxes and remaps ) may be the guys to turn to .. Imagine a RS with 235 horses on tap , and an awesome ICE setup .. Whew , im already entereing dreamland .. Yes after all this u have to make sure u drive the car around curves at 100+ to enjoy the spin .. However it would be a terrible idea to give the chauffer that kind a power .. Make one trip to bangalore and maybe a few of us can show u how a RS can be driven the way its supposed to .. Sam was a witness to one such spin , and i must say he was speechless at the end of it ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 3rd February 2006 at 10:56.
Old 3rd February 2006, 10:57   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sam? who's Sam? Where's Sam? :-) poor guy's been busy. It's a hard life.
Arrey I'm here na... Sorry just had some personal issues, went into hiding, that and combined with a 3 city JBL multimedia launch, coming up soon... apologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
However for performance mods , maybe autopsyche and psycho (official dealers for pete's tuning boxes and remaps ) may be the guys to turn to .. Imagine a RS with 235 horses on tap , and an awesome ICE setup .. Whew , im already entereing dreamland .. Yes after all this u have to make sure u drive the car around curves at 100+ to enjoy the spin .
Navin will have ICE, Wheels, Engine-vengine tuning-wuning gadgets from my firend Psycho AND a winnie the pooh on his rear glass! None of us can beat that!
Old 3rd February 2006, 11:14   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Navin will have ICE, Wheels, Engine-vengine tuning-wuning gadgets from my firend Psycho AND a winnie the pooh on his rear glass! None of us can beat that!
Hahahaha .. Sam !!!!! U bet .. ROTFLMAO .. Sorry navin couldnt help it .. Well look at it this way sam , maybe navins a man whose still young at heart .. Also i bet his son would be proud to be driven around in one hellova car .. Just make sure he logs onto the forum ASAP ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 3rd February 2006 at 11:18.
Old 3rd February 2006, 11:51   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
I know I get more looks from kids in school buses than car enthusiasts.

235bhp in mumbai traffic?. Whatever for? I dont think I'll race on street roads at any time. It is much too dangerous.
Old 3rd February 2006, 19:17   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
I never had a thing for Blaupunkts because of various assumed reasons like no VFM, plain vanilla looks,etc..
But, i've seen Navin recommending a lot of Blaupunkts and i must say, i've started respecting Blaupunkts.

India is a country where most see VFM.People like me like cool flashing OLEDs, touch-screen HUs,etc.. for the lowest price.Pioneer is one brand which suits our indian mentality to a T.By saying this, i refer to most of the Indian car-users to whom every speaker or HU sounds the same .

Blaupunkt's are plain janes and are very expensive...also they do not woo the new gen crowd as the sound tends to be more flat and basically for fm listening...
Old 4th February 2006, 10:38   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adit1329
Blaupunkt's are plain janes and are very expensive......
expensive???..i hear the sell one model for 4.5K.
Old 4th February 2006, 16:11   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
expensive???..i hear the sell one model for 4.5K.
They have a really bad model for that much Navin. At that price i would buy a pioneer or a JVC mp3 player.

Most Viewed