Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2011, 13:00   #1
BHPian

Jarring noise front brand new left front speaker

Hi,

I upgraded the front door speakers in my swift to JBL GT6 S366 3 way co axial speakers (260W). Previously I had wooden rings on the door but chnaged them to plastic ones since they last longer. But at high Bass notes in the music there is jarring noise emitted from the speaker on the left door. I have tried to chnage the eqalizer settings also but the problem still exists. can someone in Mumbai help me out with this or recomend me to someone who can take a look at it. The speakers are brad new and under warrenty.

Thanks

Old 15th June 2011, 13:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jarring noise front brand new left front speaker

Are you sure it is the speaker and not the plastic ring that is jarring/vibrating? Wood has better damping properties than plastic, and hence is a better choice for a mounting ring.

Secondly, I think you are listening at a volume way beyond comfort. Quite likely the HU is distorting low notes at that volume. Reduce bass at the Equalizer, or if an HPF is available in the HU, set it to 80Hz.

If you really like bass, coaxes driven directly from HU is far from being a solution - you just have to use an amp. Even if you don't use a sub.
Old 15th June 2011, 19:49   #3
BANNED

Even i had similer issue and the culprit came out to be the spekers diaphram which came out of spekers frame and creating jarring sound took the speker out used the super glue and speker is back on his job, moral of the story dont pump the sound beyond spekers capacity
Old 16th June 2011, 08:44   #4
BHPian

These are only 5 day old speakers so I believe the probablity of the diaphragm coming out of the fame is not quite possible. The problem is this sound is being emitted from only one speaker and not both. There is a very slight jarring noise at low volumes also. The 80Hz HPF totally kills the bass line so not too keen to you that option. Is there any expert in ICE and installation who can take a look to identify the problem since I can't seem to find any issues.
Old 16th June 2011, 11:18   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrules View Post
These are only 5 day old speakers so I believe the probablity of the diaphragm coming out of the fame is not quite possible.
WHy not have it checked. Which part of Mumbai are you. There are many good installers in Mumbai.
Old 16th June 2011, 18:36   #6
BHPian

I stay in Andheri East on Maha Kali Caves Road. Could you tell me who I can go to ?
Old 17th June 2011, 10:00   #7
BHPian

I had a problem like this when I changed my front speakers. Got the door panel opened and it turned out that the plastic sheet covering the inside of the door was touching the speaker cone, thus resonating. Just trimmed the plastic. Check if there's anything like this touching the cone, may be a wire or the plastic.
Old 17th June 2011, 10:45   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrules View Post
I stay in Andheri East on Maha Kali Caves Road. Could you tell me who I can go to ?
I would try Powai. I tried looking in TBHP's MUmbai Directory but did not find anyone in your area. Powai however is close by and is very developed. I would assume there would be good installers there.
Old 17th June 2011, 10:52   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I would try Powai. I tried looking in TBHP's MUmbai Directory but did not find anyone in your area. Powai however is close by and is very developed. I would assume there would be good installers there.
I don't mind going to some other part of the city to get it checked. Do you have any clue about someone in Bandra or Andheri west or Juhu ??
Old 17th June 2011, 10:59   #10
Team-BHP Support

There is a shop called BOOM in Khar West near Carter Road. Then there is a member called Raime2400 who operates somewhere in the suburbs. And finally if all else fails Ajay "Bass And Trouble" Kamath but he operates in South Mumbai na?
Old 4th July 2011, 09:30   #11
BHPian

Problem Identified and resolved:

The new JBL GT6 S366 speakers are wider than my previous Blaupunts that were installed. The speakers were touching the window's frame and the windows when they were rolled down. This was the cause of the jarring noise. There was also a jarring noise from the windows when the both front doors were with the windows rolled down.

Went to the local mechanic to take a look at the jarring noise during closing of the doors and realized that the root cause of both the problems was the same. Put four size 8 nuts between the ring and the spaekers and used longer screws to fix the speaker. The problem was instantly resolved.

Total cost:
New nuts and screws: Rs. 40
Labout charges: Rs. 100
Total Cost: Rs: 140

Last edited by skrules : 4th July 2011 at 09:32.
Old 4th July 2011, 09:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

From your description, it sounds like there is now a gap between the ring and the back of the speaker frame. Is that so?

If so, that is the incorrect method to bring the speaker front, since this might result in some cancellation of mid-bass due to the rear waves meeting the front waves. The correct method is to use thinner (6mm or 12mm as appropriate) rings on top of the old rings to make a thicker spacer.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 10:01   #13
BHPian

Advice taken.

Will get it rectified this weekend. Thanks a tonne !!!
Old 26th December 2011, 10:53   #14
BHPian

Finally got the time to rectify the speaker settings .. The guys at Vicky Motors did not have the half size rings but found the slim sized Boston rings which was fixed on top of the regular ring. So finally the problem is rectified..

Most Viewed