Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2011, 13:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ring terminals for Battery connection

The thick wire (running to my amp) from the battery + got disconnected from the connector, and I cant use the existing one. What sort of shop can I find one of these terminals ?
Old 26th June 2011, 13:43   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ring terminals for Battery connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
The thick wire (running to my amp) from the battery + got disconnected from the connector, and I cant use the existing one. What sort of shop can I find one of these terminals ?
I would suggest you take your car to the accessory shop that fitted your amp for you. They will fit a new one as they are sure to have spares.

Otherwise any electrical parts shop that deals in switchgear etc. You will need to take the old one with you unless you know the ring connector size.

Cheers!
Old 26th June 2011, 15:44   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn
Yes you can get these cable sockets from electrical shops who deals in switch gears, control panels etc.

Its better to get it done with proper tools like a crimping tool to ensure better contact and peace of mind. Its very hard to see that tool even with reputed installers as they are more comfortable with a plier.
Old 26th June 2011, 17:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks. going back to the original installer (emperor, cochin) would been hard in tvm, and now is unrealistic (orissa to kerala trip anyone ) and I'm not too aware of any decent ICE shops in bhubaneswar.
Old 26th June 2011, 18:54   #5
BHPian

I had got a ring connector from one of the local automotive spare parts shop in Trivandrum, near Technopark. Try looking for one at a local spare parts dealer and go to an electrical shop, solder the power cable to the connector after crimp securing it.
Old 26th June 2011, 19:12   #6
BHPian

Post after a very long time. If the power cable is up to 16 mm2 you can get it in an electrical shop in Thakaraparambu (when coming to Thakaraparambu via Ayippas road its the shop on the left just before the road splits. Anything more than that you should get it in the Electrical shop (UK Agencies) besides the old Bhima, opposite to Aswathy etc theaters).

Hope this helps,
Venki
Old 26th June 2011, 20:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Confused about your location, Greenie! Where are you? Location say KA01, you talk of Bhubaneswar?

Anyhow, I don't think it would be difficult to get the ring lug (or even a spade lug, just as good) in Bhubaneswar. Ask around for shops which sell tools and industrial spares - you should find it there. You can do it yourself, or take the help of an industrial electrician. Since there is nothing else to be changed, not even the cable, you should be able to give the cable a tug from the battery end to get the inch or so that you need to attach the lug.

I doubt they will sell you one piece, so IMHO it is better to search for an industrial electrician first. Ask your institute's electrician first if he can do it, or whether he can recommend someone who is an industrial electrician.
Old 27th June 2011, 10:48   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Confused about your location, Greenie! Where are you? Location say KA01, you talk of Bhubaneswar?

Anyhow, I don't think it would be difficult to get the ring lug (or even a spade lug, just as good) in Bhubaneswar. Ask around for shops which sell tools and industrial spares - you should find it there. You can do it yourself, or take the help of an industrial electrician. Since there is nothing else to be changed, not even the cable, you should be able to give the cable a tug from the battery end to get the inch or so that you need to attach the lug.

I doubt they will sell you one piece, so IMHO it is better to search for an industrial electrician first. Ask your institute's electrician first if he can do it, or whether he can recommend someone who is an industrial electrician.
DerAlte Sir, its very much available from a electrical shop even a few nos but you are right some of the shops are reluctant to sell in one or two pieces. When I bought for mine, I've asked them 6 nos as a spare as well as to console the shop keeper.

I guess the cable from the battery side came off, will the spade lug be good fit instead of rigs on the battery post nut?
Old 27th June 2011, 11:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

Ring lug is used wherever the bolt can be removed completely, Spade lug wherever it can't. Otherwise, if there is a (copper) washer on / below the bolt head, either is good.

Greenie, just so that you don't have another mishap with the lug, give the amp cable some strain relief by tying it with a tie-strap to the main cable or somewhere nearby. I think right now the free cable length of the amp power cable is jerking around due to engine movement and vibration. The end attached to battery should move with the battery *only* so that there is no strain on the lug joint.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks