Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2011, 12:27   #1
BHPian

Silver VW Polo CL ICE'd!

Hi Bhpians,

Got my delivery of CL Polo from Sundaram Motors, Chennai on 17th May. I had bought a used Alpine HU in immaculate condition from ebay UK for £100 which roughly works out Rs.7500 as i have seen this HU in high end installs in UK, I had with me the Mono Amp and the sub. so i just had to get the Front compos and the co axials and an amp to power the compos.

After Hours of reading thro pages of Ice section and few phone calls to Mr. Haresh of Chandru Auto Stores and Mr.Saravana Prabhu, This is what i decided finally

HU : Alpine 5855R ( Bought from UK)
Components (Front) : Morel Maximo 6.5"
Co axials (Rear) : Morel Maximo 6.5" Stock location
Amps:
2ch : Auditor Sound machine 2140
Mono : Pioneer D510
Sub : Pioneer TS-W306C
Damping : Focal

I had Sourced the Compos, Co axials, 2ch Amp and Damping from Mr.Haresh Which worked out to Rs.20,400.

I decided to give the car to Mr. Saravana Prabhu for installing the above after reading the reviews from Chennai Tbhpians.

i called him a day before and fixed up an appointment and left the car the next day at 10:30 AM,

We decided to Damp only the front doors.

I went back around 1PM, as my work was over early due to some court boycott to see the install.

Mr.Saravana Prabhu does all the installs by himself and he takes utmost care .

I had to fit a parrot bluetooth kit sourced from UK which was also fitted.

The car was ready by 6PM and then he started to fine tune and by the time i left it was 7:30PM.

The output was unbeleivable. Just the way i wanted it to., The Morels are too good for the price, they sound really good.

The charges for installation was Rs.10,200 which included Complete wiring (5K), Sub Box, Damping Labour, Bluetooth fitting, Installation labour.

Overall : Rs.30,600.
My budget was Rs. 30,000, budget exceeded by Rs.600.

Overall : Really happy with the setup .

Special thanks to Mr. Haresh of Chandru Auto Stores and Mr.Saravana Prabhu.

Pics to follow soon.
Old 28th June 2011, 13:31   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Silver Polo CL ICE'd

Why no pics Gocool?
Old 28th June 2011, 16:00   #3
BHPian

Re: Silver Polo CL ICE'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Why no pics Gocool?
Sorry navin, will upload them soon...
Old 28th June 2011, 18:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Silver VW Polo CL ICE'd!

focal damping ??

heard it for the first time !!

rest we await for the pics !
Old 1st July 2011, 17:23   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocool2007 View Post
Hi Bhpians,

HU : Alpine 5855R ( Bought from UK)
Components (Front) : Morel Maximo 6.5"
Co axials (Rear) : Morel Maximo 6.5" Stock location
Amps:
2ch : Auditor Sound machine 2140
Mono : Pioneer D510
Sub : Pioneer TS-W306C
Damping : Focal

Pics to follow soon.
Since the pics are yet to be up, clarify a few queries Gocool. Is this Alpine HU a single din or double din and do you have any idea about the price of a new one in Chennai. I'm also from Chennai, took a Polo CL from Sundaram Motors Mount Road and yet to setup the audio unit. So curious to know more from you!
Old 3rd July 2011, 18:21   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw19d View Post
Since the pics are yet to be up, clarify a few queries Gocool. Is this Alpine HU a single din or double din and do you have any idea about the price of a new one in Chennai. I'm also from Chennai, took a Polo CL from Sundaram Motors Mount Road and yet to setup the audio unit. So curious to know more from you!
Hi vw19d,
The head unit i have is Alpine 9855r, not 5855r, typo there. Its a single din, I think it has been discontinued. I heard the alpine 9887 is good. Check for reviews in tbhp. Are the tbhp stickers up in your polo.. First thing I did was put the stickers on the day of delivery...
Old 3rd July 2011, 20:32   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiragh_bir View Post
focal damping ??

heard it for the first time !!

rest we await for the pics !
I didnt take any pictures during installation, but have managed to get pictures from the install pictures of tbhp members. it was recommended by the installer. it cost me Rs.5000 + Rs.400 (Labour) for the front two doors.

the first picture is of the product, second is from a members install pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Silver VW Polo CL ICE'd!-focal.jpg  

Silver VW Polo CL ICE'd!-img_0963.jpg  

Old 3rd July 2011, 23:30   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Hi vw19d,
The head unit i have is Alpine 9855r, not 5855r, typo there. Its a single din, I think it has been discontinued. I heard the alpine 9887 is good. Check for reviews in tbhp. Are the tbhp stickers up in your polo.. First thing I did was put the stickers on the day of delivery...

hey gocool I googled for 5855r & no such alpine appeared, so understood it to be a mistake! Any suggestions from you for a nice ICE setup for my car? I have not much idea about ICE & all I'm looking for is a nice unit that gives a pleasing experience when music turned on, and visually appealing as I don't want to spoil the look of my Polo's dash. any references on guys doing ICE would also be helpful. Did check TBHP & spoke to Saravana Prabhu, still looking for some more as I could go for a competitive bidding then.

Yet to get the stickers, hopefully will place order for them soon. Just thinking how would those stickers look on my Pepper Grey!
Old 4th July 2011, 11:47   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw19d View Post
hey gocool I googled for 5855r & no such alpine appeared, so understood it to be a mistake! Any suggestions from you for a nice ICE setup for my car? I have not much idea about ICE & all I'm looking for is a nice unit that gives a pleasing experience when music turned on, and visually appealing as I don't want to spoil the look of my Polo's dash. any references on guys doing ICE would also be helpful. Did check TBHP & spoke to Saravana Prabhu, still looking for some more as I could go for a competitive bidding then.

Yet to get the stickers, hopefully will place order for them soon. Just thinking how would those stickers look on my Pepper Grey!
Btw what's your budget? I prefer single din HU, so I picked up my HU in UK, components and co axials I liked morel maximo and it was within my budget, it's very pleasant and not very bright.

All depends on your budget. First decide whether single din or a double. What kind of music do you listen to?
I can refer a few shops where you can check out the HU, speakers, etc., you can get it installed in power zone.
The stickers will look very good.
Where in chennai do you live?

Gokul
Old 4th July 2011, 20:34   #10
BHPian

Few pics taken after installation. couldnt take pics during installation.
Attached Thumbnails
Silver VW Polo CL ICE'd!-img_0266.jpg  

Silver VW Polo CL ICE'd!-img_0268.jpg  

Silver VW Polo CL ICE'd!-img_0269.jpg  

Silver VW Polo CL ICE'd!-img_0270.jpg  

Silver VW Polo CL ICE'd!-img_0272.jpg  

Silver VW Polo CL ICE'd!-img_0274.jpg  

Silver VW Polo CL ICE'd!-img_0278.jpg  

Silver VW Polo CL ICE'd!-img_0281.jpg  

Silver VW Polo CL ICE'd!-img_0283.jpg  

Silver VW Polo CL ICE'd!-img_0279.jpg  

Old 4th July 2011, 21:22   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Few pics taken after installation. couldnt take pics during installation.
Congrats on a great install. What is the wiring that you used? Just wanted to know how did you handle the power requirements for the 2 amps.
Old 5th July 2011, 13:47   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-katz View Post
Congrats on a great install. What is the wiring that you used? Just wanted to know how did you handle the power requirements for the 2 amps.
Hi E katz,
thanks, I was actually explained how the wiring is going to be done by saravana, the wiring kit used was scosche. i think he used a 8g wire from battery, installed a breaker and split 4g wires to both the amps. The wiring was a all coppper wires. So far i dont see any dimming of the headlamps or the interior lights or the dash console. i will confirm with saravana if this is how he did it.
Old 5th July 2011, 15:59   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I was actually explained how the wiring is going to be done by saravana, the wiring kit used was scosche. i think he used a 8g wire from battery, installed a breaker and split 4g wires to both the amps.
Actually its the other way, 4ga must have been used to draw power from the battery and the other end of it going to a distribution block. Then there will be two 8ga wires given to the amp.
Old 5th July 2011, 16:09   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Btw what's your budget? I prefer single din HU, so I picked up my HU in UK, components and co axials I liked morel maximo and it was within my budget, it's very pleasant and not very bright.

All depends on your budget. First decide whether single din or a double. What kind of music do you listen to?
I can refer a few shops where you can check out the HU, speakers, etc., you can get it installed in power zone.
The stickers will look very good.
Where in chennai do you live?

Gokul
Hey Gokul, sorry for not having mentioned my budget in first case. I can spend about 20-25K for the audio setup. As I'm a newbie in ICE space, I've no clue on what I need. A nice pleasing sound, mostly Tamil, a few Hindi and some English songs is what I'd listen to. I'm not much inclined to a 2DIN as a lot of people have suggested me that 1DIN should be better.

It'll be great if you can let me know of a few shops where I can get genuine stuff as I read a lot in this forum that plenty of shops in GP road can easily fool customers with fake sets and me being a novice, don't want to risk it! I spoke to Saravana of Power Zone too and he recommended a Kenwood HU with MTX speakers for my requirement. He quoted around 15-20K for this setup.

Also, please clarify me on one more thing. I don't want to install the rear speakers in the parcel tray, prefer to put them in the rear doors. Is it possible? Because I spoke to Pitz Stop in T Nagar and he said his installation would only be in the parcel tray.

I live near Tambaram & yes, the stickers should look nice!
Old 5th July 2011, 16:12   #15
BHPian

And Congrats for the setup Gokul, those small speakers (don't know if they are referred by some specific name) on the front door near the central lock look great. How did you get that done? Looks like an awesome setup!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks